Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1987 Cannondale Touring SR600 asking $351

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 09:26 AM
archi_jbg4
LookingforaStowe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wondering if this is worth the grab... What the guy says about it: it was his grandfathers and he didn't use it or keep it outdoors, completely original 1987 touring 600 SR road racing bike head to toe raspberry blue original Shimano 105 brand new tires and tubes though and neck, to have everything original all except for a neck replacement and your average tubes and tires it’s almost an investment for the vintage value in itself it’s a collectors item.

found on Mercari.com and asking $351

Old 02-16-21, 09:40 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
I have a similar one, and I'm a fan, so to me yes, it's worth buying the bike. But for that price? I think that's a bit strong. $250-300 seems more like it to me. And that's if it really needs nothing major and there's no bubbling paint, for example at the fork crown lugs, or under the front derailleur mount area.
This is not the touring model (that would be an ST) - it's the SR, the race-geometry model. They are excellent - strong, stiff, beautiful.
Old 02-16-21, 03:49 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
nice bike if it fits --- i just looked at your name -- you are also looking at the 58c Klein -- i honestly cant tell if this bike is the 60 or the 63

Price is a little strong, but i wouldnt say you would be getting ripped at $350 (if it fits ) -- and at your height, finding bikes in your size can sometimes be a pain on the used market

Best of luck with either one

I had one of these (but in a size 53 - im 5'8) and with the Criterium geometry , but same color blue and 600 parts --- i truly enjoyed it. It was stiff, but anything in a size 53 has a stiff ride

Last edited by DMC707; 02-16-21 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-16-21, 08:30 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
SR is a racing frame, not a touring frame. ST was touring. That one is no less than 62cm you probably need to be at least 6'2 - 6'5 to ride comfortably.

I sold an '86 SR500 in my area last month for $300, per the BOS. I think I listed $60 above sale price, but I always kick 20 of the top if you show up on time and don't waste my time. Similarly original, I upgraded the rims and tossed old platforms on it. Bike sold in less than 10 days to the 2nd legitimate person to reply on CL. 1st person ghosted last minute.

That said, I don't think what you've got there is a bad price. My bike sold at its list price, despite needing new brake cable housings, which I disclosed to the buyer. The SR series is great. That bike really put a smile on my face. If it's had recent service and everything works - wheels don't rub the brake pads, no dents or cracks, tape is good, brake pads good and brakes adjusted right, shifts correctly, and has received fresh grease in the last 3-4 years, price is good.

If it needs a tune, I'd knock $50 off the value. If it needs the headset, bottom bracket, and hubs repacked, knock another $100 off. Brake pads and tape, cable housings, same thing, another $50 off. This stuff adds up, but the reality is, if you can't do the work yourself, everything I just listed is setting you back no less than $250-350 at a reputable shop.

Last edited by francophile; 02-16-21 at 08:35 PM.