Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing rim hop other than with spoke tension

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 11:09 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts

So I have this rear wheel with a vintage Ambrosio rim in a laced with 36 butted spokes to a Suntour hub. Came on a used bike I bought. I have built a few wheels and trued many sets...however, I hate working with hops. So this wheel has a 3mm - 4mm hop spanning 2 or 3 spokes. It's looking too big to get out with spoke tension alone. So what other methods are there? I read elsewhere on the forum that I could loosen all the spokes and then hang the wheel over a beam or something at that spot and pull a bit to get it close. Are there any other methods for the home mechanic to true these larger hops? Thank you.
Old 02-21-21, 12:21 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 866 Times in 416 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
So I have this rear wheel with a vintage Ambrosio rim in a laced with 36 butted spokes to a Suntour hub. Came on a used bike I bought. I have built a few wheels and trued many sets...however, I hate working with hops. So this wheel has a 3mm - 4mm hop spanning 2 or 3 spokes. It's looking too big to get out with spoke tension alone. So what other methods are there? I read elsewhere on the forum that I could loosen all the spokes and then hang the wheel over a beam or something at that spot and pull a bit to get it close. Are there any other methods for the home mechanic to true these larger hops? Thank you.
I think the usual recommendation is to get a bike shop to straighten your rim with a proper tool. However, I have taken out flat spots with a strap and a vertical post. I loosened the spokes and strapped the rim at the flat spot to the post. This is described somewhere online, but I didn't find it.
Old 02-21-21, 12:44 PM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Is the hop at the joint or elsewhere. If at the joint, there may not be much you can do, although 3 or 4 mm seems like a lot to be out. Also, you suggest pulling on rim to get the hop out, is the hop on outside or is it a flat spot on pushed inside the OD. If a flat spot, Daverup's suggestion as has worked for me.
Old 02-21-21, 02:53 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
There used to be a tool for this, the "Overland Rim-True." AFAIK, it's been out of production for a long time, but you may still be able to find one, or fabricate a functional copy:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
overland-rim-true.jpg (64.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 02-21-21, 03:52 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
I think the usual recommendation is to get a bike shop to straighten your rim with a proper tool. However, I have taken out flat spots with a strap and a vertical post. I loosened the spokes and strapped the rim at the flat spot to the post. This is described somewhere online, but I didn't find it.
That seems like a good idea. I was thinking of putting the low spot centered between 2 pieces of 2 x 4 on the ground and then using like a broomstick or something pressing outwards. But I don't want to dent it.
Old 02-21-21, 04:42 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Aluminum is funny, everything looks good as you straighten whatever piece you're working with, then all of a sudden it just gives way permanently too far the other way. Steel is predictable, Al not so much. Confession of a ham-fisted halfwit.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 02-22-21, 10:13 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
OK, so it is a flat spot, right. Daverup's suggestion seems good to me.

Yes, Aluminum does not have the ductility of steel, so you can move it only a bit before it cracks. Keep in mind, you may still be buying a new rim.
Old 02-22-21, 01:21 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
do people check rims for roundness before they lace them up?
Old 02-22-21, 01:47 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Is the "hop" directly across from the valve hole?
Often the joint has a flat spot.
Old 02-22-21, 01:54 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I had a kinlin xc 279 that had hop was out maybe that far could feel in riding. Rim was rideable and worked fine but drive me nuts. I quit fighting bought new rim. Big out of round is hard to fix better to get another.