Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 03:36 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
We had 3 days of nice riding weather last week in Chicago. The weekend it rained, and rained and rained. So today I was confronted with this. And the weather man says more rains a comin. Oh well. At least its starting to look and feel more like Spring around here. Good riding weather is just around the corner, I can feel it. Until then we have this..........

Old 03-09-09, 06:06 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ONE of these days I'm gonna bring a camera.
But, today was my longest ride I've ever done. 29 miles. 14.5 mph average speed (2 hours).
It was a route I haven't done before, roads I've never ridden before, A LOT of hills, quite a bit of wind, and many headwinds.
I think I did pretty good. I'm pretty proud of myself.
I can see my goal of 40 miles in one ride this month, fairly easily now. I need to do a couple more rides like this, and find a less windy day, and I'll probably do it in just over 2 hours.
-Gene-
Old 03-09-09, 08:34 PM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, here's my great big adventure of the weekend.

I rode from my hometown of Santa Maria out into the mountains,
(quite a loong ride, if I daresay so) with a backpack full of food and
clothes and a sleeping bag tied to my back. My friend Travis and I went.
He rode his Ciocc, I rode my incredibly ugly 90's centurion, I'll post pics of it sometime.

Anyway, here goes:

Travis at the top of a fun, challenging dip. This picture shows the landscape better.

Me, at the same point. A neat picture of me.

Into the mountains: (on old road bikes...)

Me, way up there:

Getting ready to ride home in the morning:
(Our campfire failed drastically, we couldn't keep it lit, thusly couldn't cook our rice or our eggs.
We were hungry. Gathering firewood at 2 in the morning, we accidentially pulled and burned some poison oak. It was dark, and there were no leaves on it, so.
I have poison oak on my arms, my face, my back, my hands, my manhood, my chest... Everywhere.
But the smiles in this picture are smiles of ignorant bliss... I'd find out the DOOM the next day...

Here's my favorite picture from the trip, I wish it was of me, though...

And, finally, riding home.

God, I love living in California.

-Nick Skaggs
aka "Banjo_mole"
Old 03-10-09, 10:18 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
Hey Nick, a few random thoughts:

-Your bike isnt ugly, I like it!

-That looks like fun, well aside from the poisonous part..

-it reminds me of something I would have done as a teenager. I think we share the need to explore

-get some panniers. My back hurts thinking about your trip. Look into some lightweight camping stuff as well

-not preaching at all, but consider a helmet. They arent cool until you crash the first time and bash your head open but after that they're really cool!

- I miss California!

Old 03-10-09, 11:56 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Wow, quite an adventure and great photos. And yes, the Centurion looks great, it doesn't suck.
Old 03-10-09, 11:44 PM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey fellas! I'm glad someone read about my adventure!!
Oh, I didn't get any photos of the best part, though, riding down a very steep rocky, pitted dirt mountain road, faster than Levi Leipheimer could dream of going... And dodging rocks and swerving with great finesse. It was actually pretty impressive.

I don't suppose the Centurion is ugly, it's only a very acquired taste. Very late 80's/early 90's...

The need to explore (or "adventure," as I prefer to say) is definitely in my blood. Very, very much so. I can't deal with the mundane, if I'm not experiencing something new I get frustrated.

That is to say, after I graduate college, I'm investing in my ideal touring bike (different rant) and riding across the US, improvising most of the trip, working for my meals and meeting strangers, being as self-sufficient and penniless as possible. That's going to be quite the adventure. After that, depending on how things go, who knows... The world?

Lightweight camping stuff and panniers are on my "need to get" list, but after my stint in backpacking, I've learned that light, effective camping stuff is expensive. Panniers are something I want, but I have to finish two big projects first right now, a Peugeot for my lady and a bike for me, but it's a suprise.

As for the "helmet" issue...

I know I probably should get one. But my demands are one that doesn't look goofy and modern and clash with every C&V thing on my bicycle, is light and compact and doesn't make me look silly. I'm quite open to suggestions, but until I find one that suits my fancy (and fits my ginormous head) I'm the wind in my hair.

California is nice, I'm maybe at most 70 miles from the time trials here in those pics.

And here's another shot of the centurion, my only other photo of it:

I admit, it's not the zippiest bike around, kind of slow.
Old 03-11-09, 12:37 PM
Ouzo 4 Twozo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my jeunet onto the scull creek trail in Fayetteville, AR yesterday and found out that I need to make some adjustments on my rear drop outs so that the wheel doesn't come loose under heavy torque crossing busy streets (yikes).

This was on the side of a building near our bar district:

Pretty short tunnel. I hit it so fast that my eyes never adjusted. The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts... Pretty good indicator of the times, I guess:

Thanks for looking!
Old 03-11-09, 03:20 PM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
*Sigh*

"CNN is here bringing you breaking news: Many seniors have reported that the 'light at the end of the tunnel' has been shut off, due to budget cuts made by the Alpha and the Omega himself!"
Old 03-11-09, 03:42 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Hey banjo, I had one of those "ugly" bikes. A little info on them... https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...170942&page=25
Old 03-11-09, 04:33 PM
dudeona3V

Bikes: '69 Raleigh DL-1, '72 Paramount, '75 Eisentraut, '80 A-D Vent Noir II, '82 A-D Inter 10, '83 Motobecane Grand Touring, '83 Stumpjumper, '84 Masi GC, '87 Recherche, '87 Tesch 101, '88 Tesch S-22, '88 Davidson...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by banjo_mole
As for the "helmet" issue...

I know I probably should get one. But my demands are one that doesn't look goofy and modern and clash with every C&V thing on my bicycle, is light and compact and doesn't make me look silly. I'm quite open to suggestions, but until I find one that suits my fancy (and fits my ginormous head) I'm the wind in my hair.
True. A helmet might look kinda goofy, but goofier than this?!?

Anyways, thanks for sharing the pics. Cool adventure.
Old 03-14-09, 08:28 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Today I did 46 miles south of San Jose with NorCal BF member Markopolo. ~3200 feet of climbing in mostly rural contryside. I rode my Palo Alto today, after installing the new San Marco Regal last night. The inagural ride was 46 miles, and this was the first time a saddle disappeared underneath me - I just never really felt it or thought about it all day. It's a keeper, and I like it MUCH better than the Brooks B-17 that is on my Cinelli. I sould've bought two!!

A few pics:

A barn:

A climb:

Three deer:

House on a hill:

Model airplane airport:

Bike with new saddle, at In-N'-Out Burger:

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-14-09, 10:14 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

in and out burger.....i miss the west coast.

That pic of the deer us cool, took me a while to find them all.

Great pics. It looks like you touch them up in Photoshop or some other photo editing software? Perhaps you jack up the contrast? If not what kind of camera are you using? Your pics always come out very nice.

Old 03-14-09, 10:38 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
Great pics. It looks like you touch them up in Photoshop or some other photo editing software? Perhaps you jack up the contrast? If not what kind of camera are you using? Your pics always come out very nice.
Thank you. The camera is a cheezy little 3-4 year old Olympus Stylus 600. It is a basic 6mp point and shoot with 3x optical zoom. I just use Picassa as my editor - sharpen, crop, "I feel lucky" button, and sometimes saturation. That's it.

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-15-09, 02:13 PM
Otter 718

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2 FX, 2005 Schwinn Mesa, 1978 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello - This will be my first post this thread, since today was my first ride on my new classic/vintage bike. I picked up this old Takara over the winter, and I cleaned, modernized, and re-outfitted to suit my own taste. The goal was "Inspired by Rivendell"... but for about $200.

The sun came out today, the air warmed up, and the ground is getting dry, so I headed out exploring my new town, and loved every minute. I think the whole place finally came out of hibernation this morning. I took the picture below as I had just left Green Lakes State Park, and was meeting up with the Old Erie Canal State Park trail.

Old 03-17-09, 02:06 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I just finished putting my Raleigh Pro together yesterday, just in time for a gorgeous 65 degree Ohio day. A huge thanks goes to Machin Shin for the cable housings that he sent me. I made a short loop through downtown and around to some of Canton Ohio's notable sites, it was probably a ten mile trip or so. The Raleigh felt really great, way different then my other bikes. Here are some pics of my trip (and my new bike):

Downtown outside of the courthouse:

This is one of my favorite buildings downtown:

Canton's prettiest chuch IMO:

My favorite hole-in-the wall is getting a makeover, this place used to be SCARY looking:

Mckinley Monument, President William Mckinley's final resting place and Canton's favorite sledding. The kids were rolling down the hill, I wish I could have gotten pics of it.

The president looking over Canton:

Passed through Stadium park:

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3655/...35e67a4a_o.jpg

Canton's best known landmark, the giant orange juicer (Pro football hall of fame)

Football is a big deal in Canton. This is the local high school stadium, capacity 22,364. The Pro Hall of fame game is held here every year.

"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Last edited by mkeller234; 03-17-09 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 02:57 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
First time out for the 1972 NOS LeJeune Champ du Monde. Removed some of the items to maintain their NOS status. Short cruise as I had not been in the saddle since January. Mr Carré builds a nice frame. First time on VeloFlex Paves also. I do like...I just hope I never flat as they are a PITA to mount.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 03-17-09, 06:30 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

I rode to work today on my newly put together 80's Lotus Eclair Touring bike.

Old 03-17-09, 06:53 PM
Otter 718

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2 FX, 2005 Schwinn Mesa, 1978 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode to work today on my newly put together 80's Lotus Eclair Touring bike.
That is my favorite bike on this site in a long time. I'd love to see more pics!
Old 03-17-09, 07:00 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Originally Posted by Otter 718
That is my favorite bike on this site in a long time. I'd love to see more pics!
thanks! Today was my first ride on it and I love it so far. I posted some pics in the vintage touring thread here

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...319254&page=11

or can you can check out these.

Old 03-17-09, 07:06 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Originally Posted by mkeller234
I just finished putting my Raleigh Pro together yesterday, just in time for a gorgeous 65 degree Ohio day. A huge thanks goes to Machin Shin for the cable housings that he sent me. I made a short loop through downtown and around to some of Canton Ohio's notable sites, it was probably a ten mile trip or so. The Raleigh felt really great, way different then my other bikes. Here are some pics of my trip (and my new bike):

great pics! I think we're getting that weather tomorrow as it's supposed to be around 63 degrees and sunny. The pro looks titillatus!

Old 03-17-09, 07:42 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
Nice pictures! I've been wanting to visit the Football HOF for a while now and I might finally get the chance this coming May.

We should get together for a ride while I'm out there. The Raleigh looks great. Did you go with the solid grey housing? Excellent choice.

Dan
Old 03-17-09, 07:49 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
thanks! Today was my first ride on it and I love it so far. I posted some pics in the vintage touring thread here

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...319254&page=11

or can you can check out these.
-Holiday

Looking good. Glad to see you got it and have it set up the way you like with barends and such. How did it do in its first commuting trip?
Old 03-17-09, 07:59 PM
Rip Van Winkle
Formerly Gordo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, these are some great reports posted the last few days.

Banjomole, you really should get a helmet. Nothing looks dorkier than brain damage. It really does happen. One of my best friends took his own life after suffering brain damage from a moped accident. He just couldn't deal with it. Another friend of mine fell around Solvang, and broke his helmet in two. He probably would have died with out it.

BTW, the Centurion looks great. I rode 50 miles on my '82 Centurion today.

I thought you guys might enjoy some pics of the wildflowers along the L.A. Beach Bike Path. Sure, L.A. sucks, but sometimes it doesn't suck quite so bad! :-)

Old 03-17-09, 08:26 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Machin Shin
Nice pictures! I've been wanting to visit the Football HOF for a while now and I might finally get the chance this coming May.

We should get together for a ride while I'm out there. The Raleigh looks great. Did you go with the solid grey housing? Excellent choice.

Dan
Dan, definitely get in touch with me if you do make it to Canton. I don't want to over-hype the HOF, it does not compare to cooperstown where the whole city runs with the theme. We have the building and that is pretty much it, that may change someday there has been talk of tying in other forms of entertainment.

Matt
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-18-09, 08:34 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

I rode to work today. yesterday I took the touring bike. Today I took the Alan. It's nice having a 9 mile commute to work, 7 of which is on trails like this:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.