Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Late 50's Legnano Roma Olimpiade

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 02:30 PM
guywhodoesntkno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueDevil63
Gosh why would someone trying to sell a bike for $3500 actually take pictures of the bike in the condition it was being sold? What do you expect - you take crappy pictures of a bike in crappy condition and expect not to get criticized for asking a premium price for it? The pictures made it impossible to tell whether it was rusted/stained/corroded or just dirty.

Take some good pictures and you might actually find that someone is willing to pay your price and might get very valuable feedback from this group.
Originally Posted by Wileyone
I think it was after Baldini's Win at the Melbourne Olympics in 1956. I think the Bike is 60's. Definately pre 1970 as post 1970 Head badge was replaced by a Decal. I wonder what the tube set is.
Faulk tubeset
Old 02-07-17, 02:32 PM
guywhodoesntkno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great advice, take photos after the bike is clean.
Old 02-07-17, 02:33 PM
guywhodoesntkno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guywhodoesntkno
Great advice, take photos after the bike is clean.
That was dumb of me the more that I think about it, No sarcasm
Old 02-07-17, 02:35 PM
guywhodoesntkno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some nice guy just called me asked me if it had the dust caps and it does, so maybe 1959.5?
Old 02-07-17, 04:12 PM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Everybody calm down and take a deep breath. I'm the nice guy who called the seller and spoke with him re his Legnano. With his assistance in answering my questions I believe he has a 1958 Legnano Roma Olimpiade in original condition.

I gave him a few suggestions relating to better pictures and pricing to which he was quite receptive. I am hoping to see better quality pictures and have expressed an interest in his Legnano.

Bottom line, as an avid Legnano collector the seller has a very nice Legnano.
Old 02-07-17, 05:56 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by retyred

Bottom line, as an avid Legnano collector the seller has a very nice Legnano.
He does. And a valuable one. If he wants to sell and get top dollar he has been given some good advice here. The first gen crankset with the pedal dust caps is probably a $1500 item right there. Take good pictures, pay to advertise it here, maybe sell it on Ebay. The original asking price may not be that far out of line but you could never tell from the pictures. I'd love to see a good set of pictures of this bike cleaned up.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 02-07-17, 05:58 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Originally Posted by Condorino

Mark Campbell
www.condorino.com
I was completely unaware of this blog. What a fantastic resource. I am not a huge Legnano fan (that green never grabbed me) but these are some beautiful bikes really well presented. Thanks for taking the time to put this online.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 02-08-17, 07:56 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WolfRyder
Noticed this one on CL in Sac. So the Seller doesn't know much about bikes but he knows he has something. He already received a fair offer from a LBS which he turned down. He somehow is thinking CV bikes appreciate a lot or something. And then of course he throws in the i'm trying to buy a house line. Like I give a crap and will give you extra cash for that.

"this bike and when I'm 50
It'll probably be worth 20k. My fiancé and I are buying a house and unfortunately houses are expensive and a little extra cash would help".

Anyway I guess it is a pretty nice bike. Any thoughts on the value?

Vintage 1950s Legnano Road bike
I might of been a little snarky with the language in this thread. The Seller was also not in the building at the time. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. (I also may have even been a little jealous that he has the bike.) I think in general BF is welcoming for new members and I am still fairly new and appreciate being a member. Theres a great bunch of CV enthusiast guys & few girls/women that have a wealth of information available. That being said when you put something up for sale at fairly high price, and don't have the CV knowledge base or photo expertise, you should be prepared for a rigorous review of your CV bike, from experts who tell it like it is.(i'm not an expert btw)

Last edited by WolfRyder; 02-08-17 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 09:37 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Originally Posted by WolfRyder
I might of been a little snarky with the language in this thread. The Seller was also not in the building at the time. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. (I also may have even been a little jealous that he has the bike.) I think in general BF is welcoming for new members and I am still fairly new and appreciate being a member. Theres a great bunch of CV enthusiast guys & few girls/women that have a wealth of information available. That being said when you put something up for sale at fairly high price, and don't have the CV knowledge base or photo expertise, you should be prepared for a rigorous review of your CV bike, from experts who tell it like it is.(i'm not an expert btw)
I wouldn't sweat it too much. This literally happens all the time here. In this case it ends well because the owner really has a nice valuable bike. Usually it is someone who comes on the forum thinking they have a really valuable bike but they don't. When they learn the truth they get upset. I just assumed this was another one of those cases. Glad it turned out well for this bike's owner.

Old 02-13-17, 07:33 AM
Condorino

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by guywhodoesntkno
My attidude? Read what others have wrote then we can see who has the attitude here. You guys are REALLY INTO THIS, which is awesome, but calling me stupid and all that is not necessary obviously i dont know much about these 2 wheel machines. I am getting more and more attatched to her, just love the fine craftmanship, it really is awesome
Originally Posted by Condorino
JUVELA sent me a PM on this thread (thanks), and so I thought I would add a little to the conversation as a Legnano collector of many years. Based on the serial number EO3064, the production year for this Roma Olimpiade can be dated to 1959-1960 . . . possibly as late as 1961. And yes, WILEONE is correct in stating that the Tipo Roma was renamed the Roma Olimpiade following Baldini's win at the 1956 Melbourne games.

This Roma looks to be completely original including the 151mm bcd of the early Campagnolo Strada or Gran Sport cranks with chainrings reflecting the half-step gearing of the time, most likely 47/50. From the photos, although the quality is poor, the brakes are Universal Extra Mod.51 Brev. 453949. Again the photos are not clear, however most of the Roma Olimpiade - Campagnolo models of this time were fitted with the Brooks B17 Campagnolo model saddle and corresponding Campagnolo seat post with the narrow rail clamps. The photos show that this Roma was also fitted with the first gen Campagnolo bar end shifters that do add some value to the bike. The tubing is almost certainly the extra light DB guage from Falck.

The overall condition of the bike is very good to excellent given the 55+ years that have passed. As for value, I have purchased original Roma models of this period with prices ranging from $2500 - $3500 depending on the condition of the components . . . and as little as $1500 given lesser condition or missing part(s). In this case, I see that the crankset has some excessive corrosion/staining that is not easily corrected. That said, I have never taken exception with any owner's valuation of their own bike as ultimately it is their bike. However when selling a bike the buyer or market is the eventual measure.

Mark Campbell
www.condorino.com

Hello,

As I posted one of the more extensive comments on the bike you have for sale, I reviewed my post as it is never my intention to be offensive or unkind to anyone on the forum. In reading my comments again, I do feel I was complimentary and objective in describing both the quality and the condition of your bike. Both on the forum and in a PM that you sent me, I really do not like putting a price on other people's bikes despite my familiarity with the Legnano brand as a collector. I truly hope you receive the compensation you are seeking in selling the bike and the new owner will indeed have a very nice Legnano.

Kind regards,
Mark Campbell
Old 02-13-17, 09:28 PM
guywhodoesntkno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not good with computers. Took alot better photos with my wifes Iphone7 that are alot cleaner, I got them on to my computer hardrive by dragging them over to my screen with her phone pluggged in. When I click add attatchments it wont let me browse HD. BTW im running macbookpro with windows 8, any help?
Old 02-13-17, 09:30 PM
guywhodoesntkno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to see all the looks on your faces with you saw the condition wih better pics damnit!
Old 02-13-17, 09:33 PM
guywhodoesntkno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pic test

Old 02-13-17, 11:28 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

You have to upload them to Flickr or some other host site. The forum will no longer host pictures for you I don't think.

Old 02-14-17, 11:51 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueDevil63
You have to upload them to Flickr or some other host site. The forum will no longer host pictures for you I don't think.
There is a convoluted work-around that someone posted recently, but it's much easier to do as you suggest, and use Flickr or a similar photo-hosting site. Plus guywhonowknows will be able to share those photos easily with potential buyers.
Old 02-14-17, 02:59 PM
mzr

Bikes: Who cares?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only thing more pathetic than a tarted up spandex bicycle warrior is a dude on a moped.
Old 02-14-17, 03:59 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mzr
The only thing more pathetic than a tarted up spandex bicycle warrior is a dude on a moped.
If you don't have anything nice to say, it's probably best not to say anything at all.

Old 02-14-17, 04:40 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Agreed.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 02-15-17, 06:37 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...****.

I'm in Sac, and have what I think is 60's Legnano in the project line almost ready to ride. I guess I ought to finish it up and take some pictures. It's bigger than a 54, 58 seat tube maybe. I think I bought it for the headbadge, as I know jack about them.
Old 02-15-17, 08:29 PM
retyred

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...****.

I'm in Sac, and have what I think is 60's Legnano in the project line almost ready to ride. I guess I ought to finish it up and take some pictures. It's bigger than a 54, 58 seat tube maybe. I think I bought it for the headbadge, as I know jack about them.

Old 02-15-17, 08:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...no, really. the kid I bought it from said (IIRC) that it had been his brother's bike. It had some ancient tubulars on it, had obviously been rode and loved, but there was a lot of years dirt and cobwebs on it.

I'll try to take some pictures when it stops raining tomorrow or the next day. I don't think it's particularly high end or a high dollar Legnano, but like I said, I liked the headbadge.
Old 02-15-17, 08:54 PM
retyred

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...no, really. the kid I bought it from said (IIRC) that it had been his brother's bike. It had some ancient tubulars on it, had obviously been rode and loved, but there was a lot of years dirt and cobwebs on it.

I'll try to take some pictures when it stops raining tomorrow or the next day. I don't think it's particularly high end or a high dollar Legnano, but like I said, I liked the headbadge.
Okay, thanks for the clarification. I'm pleased that it wasn't a criticism of the fellow with the other Legnano in this thread.

BTW, are you in Sacramento?
Old 02-19-17, 10:39 PM
retyred

Here is a picture of the Legnano. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Legnano inspection photos 013.jpg
Old 02-19-17, 10:54 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Here is a picture of the Legnano. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Attachment 553452
...it's supposed to rain like hell here all day tomorrow, so if you have to drive tomorrow, please be careful. I mean really rain, like the prediction is for an inch and a half, and our annual total is only an average of just over 20 inches.

There's gonna be some localized flooding for sure.