Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Now is the time to prepare for summer riding.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-24, 04:05 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

Feb is the month for those of us in the snow belt to get our bikes and trikes ready for the summer riding season. It is time to grease and lube all the bearings, and go over the whole bike and check all bolts and nuts. Doing it this early will give you time to order and get any parts you find bad and put them on. A total going over will keep you from having to walk home this summer. As a life long technician, I have always done this, and I have never had to walk home.
Old 02-12-24, 04:16 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
Summer? What happened to spring?
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 02-12-24, 04:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,577 Times in 7,337 Posts
Thanks for the yearly reminder. It slipped my mind.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-12-24, 05:21 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Change your clocks, change your smoke detector batteries. Change your smoke detector batteries, lube your bike.
Old 02-12-24, 07:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
While rydabent sometimes does have opinions people dislike and says things that aren't always likable this post is a fine post. People should spend their winter getting their bikes ready for riding if they are not riding through the winter. I will say yes they did miss spring and the post could have been done earlier but overhaul or tune your bikes with some regularity and if you aren't doing it yourself winter is the best time to take it to the shop less busy and you will be ready to go for that nice spring day. Once it hits you just are pumping your tires and ready to ride while everyone is waiting in line at the shop.

I know we can be snarky here, myself included but overall a message to get your bikes ready is not bad. Unleash on someone when they actually post something bad not when they are giving decent advice.
Old 02-12-24, 07:13 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Summer? What happened to spring?
Seems like our whole winter has been spring here this year. So far 1 real snow storm and I haven't trusted the ice enough to go ice fishing.
Old 02-12-24, 08:19 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 173 Posts
Agree, especially now that days are getting longer there's more time and opportunity.

This season here winter has been shy about even showing, so riding continued more than typical. Cold and wet now, but January had a high of 73, December 68, and November a boggling 81.

But the bikes pretty filthy and can use a little love. Better now than waiting until it's in the 90s. Don't care for sweat dripping onto my work
Old 02-13-24, 09:26 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Good point. I’ve been toying with the idea of switching my road bike this year from a freewheel to a fixed gear. So I need to find an appropriate track or flip flip hub rear wheel that has a wide enough rim to handle a 35mm tire width. Need to get on that now.

Otto
Old 02-13-24, 09:31 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Good to see you posting, Rydabent
Old 02-13-24, 10:55 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by veganbikes
While rydabent sometimes does have opinions people dislike and says things that aren't always likable this post is a fine post. People should spend their winter getting their bikes ready for riding if they are not riding through the winter. I will say yes they did miss spring and the post could have been done earlier but overhaul or tune your bikes with some regularity and if you aren't doing it yourself winter is the best time to take it to the shop less busy and you will be ready to go for that nice spring day. Once it hits you just are pumping your tires and ready to ride while everyone is waiting in line at the shop.

I know we can be snarky here, myself included but overall a message to get your bikes ready is not bad. Unleash on someone when they actually post something bad not when they are giving decent advice.
It’s recycled material. And people should do what they want to do. Besides, how long does it take to get a bike ready to ride? I didn’t ride a bike for almost a year. I pumped up my tires and I oiled my chain and went for some rides later fall.
Old 02-13-24, 11:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It’s recycled material. And people should do what they want to do. Besides, how long does it take to get a bike ready to ride? I didn’t ride a bike for almost a year. I pumped up my tires and I oiled my chain and went for some rides later fall.
Sure but it is useful none the less. People can do what they want to do and can take whatever little or loads of time they need to get their bike ready. However in this case 'bent was actually not giving poor advice or doing anything bad. It is one thing to go after someone when they are saying stupid stuff which we all know has happened in their case but a reminder to tune up and overhaul bikes for the upcoming seasons not a bad idea. Maybe you and I don't need it, maybe it has been said before but there are always new members, people finding us on the google searches and old members who don't take care of their bikes and this may help them.

Look I am all for knocking people down a few pegs when they say something dumb or are repeat offenders but if they actually have something decent enough to say I don't think we always need to be negative. I enjoy it for certain I am not afraid of being cynical or even a little misanthropy from time to time that but I am trying to be more positive and I think we all could use a little bit of that. There is so much in the world to be negative about bikes don't always have to be a part of that!
Old 02-14-24, 12:13 AM
indyfabz

Where is Dr. Rick when you need him?
Old 02-14-24, 07:01 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Feb is the month for those of us in the snow belt to get our bikes and trikes ready for the summer riding season. It is time to grease and lube all the bearings, and go over the whole bike and check all bolts and nuts. Doing it this early will give you time to order and get any parts you find bad and put them on. A total going over will keep you from having to walk home this summer. As a life long technician, I have always done this, and I have never had to walk home.
This post seems disrespectful to Australians.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-14-24, 09:50 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
I check the bike after every ride, and address maintenance issues immediately.

Every five years, whether it needs it or not, I take the seals off my Chris King headset, clean, and apply new grease. (I use the Gen 1 lifetime supply ring-lube grease, which they recommend.) Then I put it back together. But it has never looked like it needed maintenance so frequently.

Winter is the time when you guilt-trip your S.O. into permitting you to purchase a new bike.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-14-24, 10:06 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Feb is the month for those of us in the snow belt to get our bikes and trikes ready for the summer riding season...
February in Central Texas is one of the few months we can actually get into our Garages and Storage Sheds without suffering Heat Injury... Ha
Old 02-14-24, 10:13 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
My heart is saddened for y'all's suffering the indignities' of Winter -- as for me -- 55.55 miles in awesome winter weather yesterday here in SW FL

Have no fear, Spring is just around the corner, or is it the next corner ???
Old 02-14-24, 01:12 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I have sunblock, does that count?
Likes For Pratt:
Old 02-14-24, 01:55 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
People should spend their winter getting their bikes ready for riding.
Why aren't the bikes ride-ready already? Don't you keep them in tip-top shape for every ride? If you have several bikes, each fully overhauled when acquired, there's little need to overhaul them every five years, much less every year.

Of course, ymmv.
Old 02-14-24, 02:33 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
oil? immersive waxing / it should be more popular.
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-14-24, 07:02 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
You guys don't ride through winter there in the US? OP did call it a snowbelt, so maybe states with a built up snowpack keeping the gravel and MTB riders off their bikes? But they don't clear your roads and bike paths? They've become really good about it here in South Korea, with little Bobcats and rotary sweepers/regular front buckets running up and down the bike paths in the aftermath of snow, so hardpacked snow ice isn't really a huge concern anymore. The big one for us has been really wet snow/rain/sleet/wintery mix falling for hours, before the cold front blows the precipitation through and freezes everything that just fell. That's only a few days off the bike, though. Lots of people just ride through the winter here with appropriate clothing and things like neoprene overshoes and thick helmet liners. The temperature's more of a problem for us than the snow.
Old 02-14-24, 07:19 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by spelger
oil? immersive waxing / it should be more popular.
I think you missed the reference.

Wait for the chorus:

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-14-24, 10:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
My heart is saddened for y'all's suffering the indignities' of Winter -- as for me -- 55.55 miles in awesome winter weather yesterday here in SW FL

Have no fear, Spring is just around the corner, or is it the next corner ???
Still haven’t gotten over saying “nah, nah, de nah, nah” from grammar school?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-14-24, 11:48 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
In between snow storms, I get out pretty regularly during the winter...so maintenance is a year round/as needed thing for me. Besides, I freely exercise the N+1 metric to bike ownership, so I usually have a back up or few to ride when needed.
Old 02-15-24, 12:18 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Why aren't the bikes ride-ready already? Don't you keep them in tip-top shape for every ride? If you have several bikes, each fully overhauled when acquired, there's little need to overhaul them every five years, much less every year.

Of course, ymmv.
Not riding a bike to the grave every year or so is a foreign concept to me
Old 02-15-24, 12:41 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I address any issues as they come up but I do put each bike on the stand during the winter and check everything plus clean up and lube as needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.