Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1951 Gazelle appraisal

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-24, 08:36 PM
donnyc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
1951 Gazelle appraisal

How do I find out where I would go to get an appraisal of a 1951 Gazelle Model P? I was asking my insurance company if it would be worth adding a special rider and they said that it would depend on what it would be worth. They further indicated that I would need a written appraisal. My first step is to figure out if it is worth appraising. I would appreciate insights. I live in Calgary Canada, not exactly the bike capital of the country but perhaps somebody 'knows a guy'. I have included before and after photos for your reading and viewing pleasure.

This is how I found it on the farm

There she sits, just gleaming in the sun
Likes For donnyc:
Old 02-28-24, 01:13 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

JaccoW

non-fixie

Italuminium

Munny

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-28-24 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-28-24, 02:33 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 638 Posts
Nice rebuild has some really great lines that said it is half moon step through ss so really only worth $300-400 which is pretty much the top of the market for this type bike., most are no sales at close to any price.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 02-28-24, 02:48 PM
donnyc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the insights. I have no intention on selling it. I have it for sentimental reasons. My mother-in-law brought it from Holland when she immigrated to Canada. I was trying to determine if I should add an extra rider on my home insurance for it. As it will be stored inside, I doubt that the extra insurance will be necessary. I cannot replace it.
Likes For donnyc:
Old 02-28-24, 03:54 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by donnyc
It will be stored inside.
Good idea. Here's another: I put u-locks on my six bikes, all stored inside my house. It's really the only time I lock a bike. It goes around the down tube, securing the front wheel. If someone were to break in, they will not be riding away on any of them.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-28-24, 07:31 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,611 Times in 1,765 Posts
I have no idea what that bike would be worth in your area. Hopefully more than here in Holland. The country is flooded with them, and prices for a new one start at ~$200, so you'd probably be looking at $50-100.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 02-29-24, 02:44 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Good idea. Here's another: I put u-locks on my six bikes, all stored inside my house. It's really the only time I lock a bike. It goes around the down tube, securing the front wheel. If someone were to break in, they will not be riding away on any of them.
If someone were to break into my house, I would hope they'd take my least valuable stuff... beginning with my bikes!

Please leave my gold, silver, watches, and guns. Take the bikes!

Sorry, BMC... Zullo... Pinarello... Tesch... Paramount... and all the rest.

My bikes are stored in my garage, hanging on the ceiling. I have 2 plastic coated, 3/16" stainless steel cables that go through each row of 7 bikes, one padlock for each row/cable. They are only there to deter someone walking by from running in while I have the door open (and maybe in the back) and running off with a bike. A nice bolt cutter would make short work of it. I don't have an insurance rider for my bikes as they are just not that valuable enough in my opinion.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 02-29-24 at 02:53 AM.
Likes For BMC_Kid: