Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Car almost died today...Kinda sad it didn't...

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 01:26 PM
scroungetech

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

So I'm only car lite, not car free, and I lurk here more than I post. Yesterday my high-temp warning light came on & there was smoke coming from under the hood. I was only 2 blocks from home, and added coolant after I parked. My commute is only 3.5 miles, but my car was smoking again when I got to work this morning. I had a car load of unnecessary posessions I was intending to drop off at Goodwill on the way home, which is why I drove today. I ended up dropping off the car-which was originally a freebie from my late grandma-at the repair shop next to work.

In the interim before they called me with a diagnosis, I started thinking about what I would do if the repair bill estimate was exorbitant. And I immediately knew I would junk it & not replace it. I had the whole morning at work to figure out my car-free life. But, when they called to say the repair was only going to cost about 2.5 days wages I chickened out and told them to go ahead & do it.

But I was briefly forlorn about the fact that my 17yo 109k mi beater was not dead for good.

It feels a bit like getting up the nerve to ask a stranger to dance, this teetering on the edge between car-lite and car-free. But I am now sure that the car will indeed be junked & not replaced the next time an exorbitant repair is looming. It kinda felt like sticking one toe in the car-free pool today, and I liked it. I'm now mentally better prepared to take the plunge when the time comes.
Old 08-02-16, 02:00 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Then sell it while it's still running.
Old 08-02-16, 05:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by scroungetech
So I'm only car lite, not car free, and I lurk here more than I post. Yesterday my high-temp warning light came on & there was smoke coming from under the hood. I was only 2 blocks from home, and added coolant after I parked. My commute is only 3.5 miles, but my car was smoking again when I got to work this morning. I had a car load of unnecessary posessions I was intending to drop off at Goodwill on the way home, which is why I drove today. I ended up dropping off the car-which was originally a freebie from my late grandma-at the repair shop next to work.

In the interim before they called me with a diagnosis, I started thinking about what I would do if the repair bill estimate was exorbitant. And I immediately knew I would junk it & not replace it. I had the whole morning at work to figure out my car-free life. But, when they called to say the repair was only going to cost about 2.5 days wages I chickened out and told them to go ahead & do it.

But I was briefly forlorn about the fact that my 17yo 109k mi beater was not dead for good.

It feels a bit like getting up the nerve to ask a stranger to dance, this teetering on the edge between car-lite and car-free. But I am now sure that the car will indeed be junked & not replaced the next time an exorbitant repair is looming. It kinda felt like sticking one toe in the car-free pool today, and I liked it. I'm now mentally better prepared to take the plunge when the time comes.
What was the problem, a split hose? Have you been having issues with this car?

What makes your car a "beater"? 109K miles isn't much though at 17 years, replacement of hoses and belts is probably in order.
Old 08-02-16, 05:53 PM
scroungetech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What was the problem, a split hose? Have you been having issues with this car?

What makes your car a "beater"? 109K miles isn't much though at 17 years, replacement of hoses and belts is probably in order.
It needs a new hose & a new radiater-it dropped all the coolant before, about 3 yrs ago. The thing is, I've been told by multiple mechanics that the engine will go another 10 years. But I could use the savings of not having it to pay off my student loans faster. Not to mention that everything I need is in walk or bike distance & the car mostly takes me places I don't really need to go. And I'd be in better shape physically without it. The "beater" status is mostly cosmetic wear & tear- not mechanical. I can count at least 6 friends that get along just fine without cars, and I would definitely not feel socially isolated without it. I live in a smallish city of about 60k that is having an upswing in the business cycle but is also close to farm land. There is no shortage of weekend events & lots of farmers markets. I know the car free switch is completely possible, just gotta get up the gumption to do it.
Old 08-02-16, 06:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
You can always drop the car off at Goodwill too.
Old 08-02-16, 06:24 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
If you have your own private parking space or basically anywhere you don't have to move it on a consistent basis to avoid being fined/towed, then just park it. Drop the insurance and 'black tag' it.

Of course, if you let it sit too long, the tires could dry rot (did on my Jeep- but they were OEMs and I had bought it used).
Old 08-02-16, 07:32 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The OP sounds very similar to my situation a few months ago. About the only time I drive is to get to either bike rides or hikes where the starting point is too far to conveniently bike. The last couple hikes to which I drove I noticed steam coming from under the hood and had to keep topping off the overflow tank. But online car parts have become so cheap that it's hard to justify getting rid of the car. Paid Amazon $27 and now have a new radiator plus cap and no more loss of coolant. Yes, there's still the insurance cost, but it's well under a dollar/day so I still feel it's worth the convenience of having the car available even though it's not really needed and isn't used all that much.
Old 08-02-16, 07:39 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
Paid Amazon $27 and now have a new radiator plus cap and no more loss of coolant.
You bought a radiator for $27? What kind of car?
Old 08-02-16, 07:42 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
If you have your own private parking space or basically anywhere you don't have to move it on a consistent basis to avoid being fined/towed, then just park it. Drop the insurance and 'black tag' it.

Of course, if you let it sit too long, the tires could dry rot (did on my Jeep- but they were OEMs and I had bought it used).
A lot of components tend to go bad when a car sits too long. Classics are drained, lubed in appropriate places and put on blocks when stored. For an average car in my experience, you're better off selling it while it's running as it may not still be running after it sits for a long period.
Old 08-02-16, 07:42 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
You can always drop the car off at Goodwill too.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 08-02-16, 08:21 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
You bought a radiator for $27? What kind of car?
'97 Toyota Camry. It was on sale but was a perfect drop-in fit and looked to be well made.
Old 08-02-16, 10:43 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

It needs a new hose & a new radiater-it dropped all the coolant before, about 3 yrs ago. The thing is, I've been told by multiple mechanics that the engine will go another 10 years. But I could use the savings of not having it to pay off my student loans faster. Not to mention that everything I need is in walk or bike distance & the car mostly takes me places I don't really need to go. And I'd be in better shape physically without it. The "beater" status is mostly cosmetic wear & tear- not mechanical. I can count at least 6 friends that get along just fine without cars, and I would definitely not feel socially isolated without it. I live in a smallish city of about 60k that is having an upswing in the business cycle but is also close to farm land. There is no shortage of weekend events & lots of farmers markets. I know the car free switch is completely possible, just gotta get up the gumption to do it.
So why don't you get rid of that POS? It sounds like you don't need it, and you wouldn't have written to a carfree forum unless you want people to tell you to lose it!
Old 08-03-16, 03:10 PM
scroungetech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
So why don't you get rid of that POS? It sounds like you don't need it, and you wouldn't have written to a carfree forum unless you want people to tell you to lose it!
Right you are, Roody. I did indeed stop by the car free chapel to hear the choir sing to my as yet unconverted self. And I do appreciate the positive reinforcement from everyone here. In other news I just negotiated a 4 day work week instead of the usual 5. This means 3 day weekends & more time to ride, now through at least the end of the year. And not by doing 4 ten hr days, but just 32 hrs/wk. Voluntary simplicity ahoy!
Old 08-03-16, 08:19 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Right you are, Roody. I did indeed stop by the car free chapel to hear the choir sing to my as yet unconverted self. And I do appreciate the positive reinforcement from everyone here. In other news I just negotiated a 4 day work week instead of the usual 5. This means 3 day weekends & more time to ride, now through at least the end of the year. And not by doing 4 ten hr days, but just 32 hrs/wk. Voluntary simplicity ahoy!
Good for you! You have fewer commutes with a shorter week, which should make it even easier to give up the car if you have a long commute.

I have 12 hour shifts at the hospital. That means four days off each week. That's pretty sweet even though I have only a ten minute walking commute.
Old 08-04-16, 12:47 PM
scroungetech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
Good for you! You have fewer commutes with a shorter week, which should make it even easier to give up the car if you have a long commute.

I have 12 hour shifts at the hospital. That means four days off each week. That's pretty sweet even though I have only a ten minute walking commute.
Thanks for your thoughts. My commute is only 3.3 miles each way, though I can dip into Amish country backroads on my 7.5 mile long way home. The oldest continually operating farmer's mkt is a 5 min ride & the bike co-op is a 10 min ride. The only further flung destination I'm still figuring out is a quarterly Dr. appt way out in the suburbs & on no bus line. Though I could rack the bike on the front of the bus & then ride the last few miles. I'm putting together a cost analysis of keeping car vs ditching car, which I could eventually post here if anyone is interested...