Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't dial in rear shifting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-18, 09:15 AM
FoxMulder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've not had this problem in the past as usually I can dial in the rear shifting on my bikes perfectly. But this Kona drivetrain is giving me issue. It's a 2011 Kona Lanai, and I'm not sure how decent the 8 speed cassette is. It's had an upgrade with a Deore XT rapid rise rear derailleur. Chain is original. Best bet to just put a new chain on it and go from there?

Original specs: https://www.pinkbike.com/product/kona/2011-Lanai/

Last edited by FoxMulder; 08-26-18 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 10:34 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
i'd check the derailleur hanger alignment

if that's out of whack it would be almost impossible to tune in, so that would be the first thing i'd check

Old 08-26-18, 11:08 AM
FoxMulder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by le mans
i'd check the derailleur hanger alignment

if that's out of whack it would be almost impossible to tune in, so that would be the first thing i'd check

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXfvW0L3iLM
I'm eyeballing it and it looks straight. Don't recall any wrecks that could have bent it either.
Old 08-26-18, 11:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Eyeballing is only good enough for friction shifting.

go to a bike shop , they will check the alignment with the above tool

for less than a cafe lunch costs..
Old 08-26-18, 11:34 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by FoxMulder
I'm eyeballing it and it looks straight. Don't recall any wrecks that could have bent it either.
With 9+ speed systems (with sprockets closer to each other), eyeball method doesn't cut it, but for 8- speeds it should be good enough to start looking for the problem elsewhere.

Since rear shifting depends on: chain, cassette, shifter cable and housing and shifter, all should be checked for wear and proper setup.
Old 08-26-18, 12:57 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Why did you replace the rear derailleur?

If your answer is anything other than buying your bike a present, I'd suspect derailleur hanger alignment too. The problem with eyeballing the alignment is that it requires a calibrated eyeball.
Old 08-26-18, 01:09 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
If shifting is inconsistent then in most cases either the lever movement is not being transmitted well to the derailleur (cable/housing friction) or the derailleur is not moving accurately itself (loose pivots/mounting, bent derailleur/hanger. I spent many years evaluating and straightening derailleurs by eye, and I can tell you that once you reach 8+ cogs it is far preferable to use a gauge.
Old 08-26-18, 01:16 PM
Crandall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would try the chain. Last time I bought a new derailleur to fix the same issue I ended up returning it and buying a new chain.
Old 08-26-18, 01:16 PM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

well, what was it like with the other derailleur? if it was fine then your upgrade maybe faulty. check to see if there's much side way play
Old 08-26-18, 01:30 PM
le mans
Steel is real

if there's nothing wrong with the derailleur..i agree with what the other fellas suggest..it's best to check the hanger alignment with a gauge

if you haven't got one, you can make your own for next to nothing...

or you can try using a rear wheel, this got me out of the shyte before i made my own tool..

Old 08-26-18, 02:19 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Eyeballiig it won’t cut it, and it does not matter if you remember any crashes or causes. It just happens.

I once drove myself mad in trying to sort out my shifting and ruled out the hangar alignment for the exact same reasons you are.... and it ended up being the hangar alignment.

Now if I can’t get it adjusted, alignment is the first thing I check before dropping dime on replacing anyrhing. And in most cases, that is the culprit. Second most likely is damage to (or simply worn) cables/housing but that typically ahows different symptoms.

So... check the hangar alignment.
Old 08-26-18, 02:33 PM
FoxMulder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it may be the hanger alignment. But I'll try a chain first. I don't like having to load my bike up on the car and drive it to a bike shop and leave it there...and then have to come back and get it again some other day. Just a major hassle.

I replaced the derailleur several years ago when I got the bike. I put a rapid rise on all my geared bikes because I prefer it over top-normal shifting. When I used to the ride the bike as a mountain bike a few years ago, the shifting seemed good. Can't exactly recall when it started to feel iffy, but I've been riding it more lately and it's become quite noticeable.
Old 08-26-18, 03:18 PM
le mans
Steel is real

have you checked the shifter, that's a point to start a process of elimination

disconnect the cable and see if it clicks to all the gears, lol, if it doesn't you need to service it

{you should check for chain play **stretch** really.. before deciding to replace that, and new chains aren't compatible to worn chainrings and sprockets]
Old 08-26-18, 03:33 PM
le mans
Steel is real

Originally Posted by Kapusta

Eyeballiig it won’t cut it, and it does not matter if you remember any crashes or causes. It just happens.

I once drove myself mad in trying to sort out my shifting and ruled out the hangar alignment for the exact same reasons you are.... and it ended up being the hangar alignment.

Now if I can’t get it adjusted, alignment is the first thing I check before dropping dime on replacing anyrhing. And in most cases, that is the culprit. Second most likely is damage to (or simply worn) cables/housing but that typically ahows different symptoms.

So... check the hangar alignment.
if this thing had a kudos button i'd like this post

that is the area i focus on if all other components are OK, also the derailleur, i wanted to use this fancy shimano once - forget the model, but it had worn pivot pins
Old 08-26-18, 04:41 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by le mans
{you should check for chain play **stretch** really.. before deciding to replace that, and new chains aren't compatible to worn chainrings and sprockets]
This^^^^

A chain will have to be really worn out to actually cause rear shifting issues. If the chain is actually so worn as to be the culprit here, then save yourself an extra trip and buy a cassette while you are at it, because that thing will be toast as well and not work well with a new chain.

So yeah, measire that chain first.

But even if the chain is stretched beyond replacement spec, there is a good chance that is not the issue,
Old 08-28-18, 01:35 PM
FoxMulder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I put a SRAM PC-850 chain on, and it shifted fine without a single extra adjustment. I'm kind of surprised myself as I was expecting it to be something more.
Old 08-28-18, 01:37 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Well, I put a SRAM PC-850 chain on, and it shifted fine without a single extra adjustment. I'm kind of surprised myself as I was expecting it to be something more.
Let us know how it is working after a few rides.
Old 08-28-18, 06:19 PM
FoxMulder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Let us know how it is working after a few rides.
Will do. The old chain was the original KMC Z-72, so it was about 7 years old. I may change the cassette as well in the near future, just to be thorough.