Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pub 51

Old 09-28-13, 05:17 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Here on the 50+ threads most of the posts are pretty civil. Maybe it is because that us mature and older riders are not always trying to prove something. We ride what what we want to ride, not the latest $5000 unobtainium bike of the hour, unless that is what we want to ride. We ride where, and at what speed feels right to us. And that includes what pedal cadence feels right.

I guess what Im trying to say is that most of us are not trying to prove anything, and there are some things about getting older is really a good thing.

PS If you try to suck in your gut when some pretty young thing walks by you are not quite there yet!!!!
This is what I like about the 50+ forum: many people here have had or are having heart disease, renal failure, back surgery, abdominal surgery, cancer, family tragedy, alcoholism, morbid obesity, diabetes, forced retirement, no retirement ever (work til ya drop), or any number of physical, emotional or spiritual hardships, and every one of us gets off their respective gluteals, hops on their bikes, and rides.

And the ones of you who live charmed lives take great pictures.

Know it or not, many of you serve as a source of inspiration to me.

Chapeau!

I feel all weepy now. I just want to be held.....

Old 09-28-13, 05:42 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl

As a side note: Wonder how many practice starting a fire? Especially when sub-zero and a tall chimney it can take some skill. Or, like one of my friends, he sends his elementary school kids out for the propane torch. It is their job to get the campfire, wood stove, or whatever going after he puts in the fuel.
When I was about 15 I worked at a Family Camp as Junior Counselor. We did a psuedo American Indian campfire one night each week, all dressed up in headress and feathers, etc., and one of my jobs was getting a fire started using a bow, dowel, spindle and hearth (with a notch in it for the spark to fall down onto the leather receptacle, from whence it was placed in very fine kindling, and with just the right amount of blowing (not too much or you blow it out) where it would start to flame, then more kindling, and finally, a fire. Now, that was certainly a longer activity than lighting a match.

Is that the kind of "practice" you mean?

And, as a kid I used to chop and split, but now someone at the gas plant must do that as the wood/fire comes right into our house in the form of some sort of vapor.
Old 09-28-13, 06:11 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
WOOD you look at that!
Here in southwest Arizona we also have 2 seasons: 100+ degree summers and 'Tourist' weather the rest of the year.
Tourist weather is now just starting. Had only 74 days of 100+ . . .
Old 09-28-13, 06:26 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
When I was about 15 I worked at a Family Camp as Junior Counselor. We did a psuedo American Indian campfire one night each week, all dressed up in headress and feathers, etc., and one of my jobs was getting a fire started using a bow, dowel, spindle and hearth (with a notch in it for the spark to fall down onto the leather receptacle, from whence it was placed in very fine kindling, and with just the right amount of blowing (not too much or you blow it out) where it would start to flame, then more kindling, and finally, a fire. Now, that was certainly a longer activity than lighting a match.

Is that the kind of "practice" you mean?

And, as a kid I used to chop and split, but now someone at the gas plant must do that as the wood/fire comes right into our house in the form of some sort of vapor.
Yep, although I confess I have never been very successful with that trick. That is why I always carry flint and steel when out and about. Can you still start a fire that way?
Old 09-28-13, 06:38 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Yep, although I confess I have never been very successful with that trick. That is why I always carry flint and steel when out and about. Can you still start a fire that way?
I never could afford the flint and the steel. The wood was free and we used the rawhide off a freshly killed Moose for the bow string!
Old 09-28-13, 06:52 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never could afford the flint and the steel. The wood was free and we used the rawhide off a freshly killed Moose for the bow string!
Old 09-28-13, 07:16 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

The moderators don't have anything useful to do so they move our posts around.
We move posts around if they are off-topic for the forum where they're originally posted. If we left all of the off-topic posts we would have a bunch of forums with a mishmash of thread subjects discussed by the same group of forum regulars, and new people would have a hard time figuring out where to go. We leave redirects so people can see where their threads were moved; if others want to comment on the thread they can always follow the redirect to do so.

Some people tend to only visit one forum and want all of their posts to stay in that forum whether they're relevant or not. This can lead to feelings of possessiveness about "their" forum and make it difficult for new people to feel welcome, and we get complaints about it.

Also, some topics can get very heated (politics, helmets, A&S stuff) and they are easier for the staff to monitor if they are in their own forum rather than scattered about in different areas.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 09-28-13, 07:18 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wood splitting is one of the few exercises in which you end up with a tangible (and financial) reward.

If you hook up a generator to a stationary bike, you might be able to generate about one cent's worth of electricity.
Old 09-28-13, 07:46 PM
SFCRetired

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was always told that heating with a wood stove warmed you when you cut the wood, when you split the wood, when you carried the wood in, and finally when you burned it. I can remember my grandmother pitching a hissy fit when they took out her wood cook stove and put in a gas one. Took her a good three months to quit fussing about it. But, Lord, could that old woman cook a meal on that wood stove!!
@TromboneAl: A scifi writer, Dean Ing, put just such a scenario in one of his novels. The bike used one of those generators that is turned by the tire and was used to charge a 12-volt car battery. I don't remember the exact figures, but it was something like four hours of steady pedaling would charge the battery enough to allow the use of a low-watt twelve-volt bulb for light for an extended period of time. The novel (name escapes me) was written some years ago when bike generators mounted to the fork or the frame and was pushed against the sidewall of the tire. Remember those?
Old 09-28-13, 07:54 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
+25.... Now if ya had to cut it, split it and stack it, all by hand, that's real exercise....
Thirteen years ago, when I moved to Oregon, we lived in a yurt in the forest on the north slope of a hill in the coast range. When winter came (okay, mid-Autumn) we would all stroll a few miles up to the top of the hill, gather the logs that had been abandoned by the salvage loggers after a big fire, and drag these things down to our home. If that didn't warm us up adequately, we set about cutting them into stove-size pieces with a misery whip. Still cold? Time to split and stack.

Such a regimen really cut down on the amount of wood that needed to be burned over the course of the winter.

Now I just wish the denizens of this state would either learn how to heat their abodes without burning wood or else learn to do it without smoking out an entire square mile.
Old 09-28-13, 08:00 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Wood splitting is one of the few exercises in which you end up with a tangible (and financial) reward.

If you hook up a generator to a stationary bike, you might be able to generate about one cent's worth of electricity.

Old 09-28-13, 08:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
that would make the Foot ball game different ..

They move in Hockey , but, usually after ploughing into them.
Old 09-29-13, 07:52 AM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm Confused. (cycling related)

Originally Posted by bruce19
I see 50+ as a community of people who have at least two things that draw them here....cycling and a certain place in life we call "age." It doesn't bother me to have people discuss subjects like grand-kids, relationships, art, music, etc. If I was having a gathering of friends at my house it wouldn't occur to me to say "Anyone who wants to discuss anything other than our common interests will have to take it into the kitchen." Now I realize that this isn't my "house" but when you have the option to avoid any topic that doesn't interest you simply by not clicking on the thread why not just do that at your discretion? If I were a Mod (God help me) my line would be drawn with personal attacks not with thread topics. Just sayin'.
My original post about stacking wood was moved. But where? Had I named it, "I'd rather be cycling" would it have been acceptable? The essence of this 50s forum always seemed a free spirited and open conversation, the kind that only comes with age and maturity. The aged are often more open-minded than the young. Anyway, the net result for me is a negative feeling.At 78 I avoid negative feelings like potholes.
Old 09-29-13, 08:09 AM
Robes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This house is 160 yrs old. I have wood burning furnace in the basement,... and a wood burning stove in the "Stove room". My tool shed has a peacock wood burning stove. I have 180 acres of woods and just let mother nature knock them down. Cut them to stove size pieces and stack them up for a year. Last years crop gets split ...I'm always a year ahead. This years crop is Ash as the Emerald Ash Borer pretty much killed the mature trees. I have a log splitter, but still swing the maul quite a bit.....
Old 09-29-13, 08:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculptor7
............. The essence of this 50s forum always seemed a free spirited and open conversation, the kind that only comes with age and maturity......

Most, if not all, forums (fora?) are titled by subject but ours is designated buy a chronological slice of the population. It would seem to me that someone recognized the uniqueness of our "group" and established a forum for us. So, let us discuss what we will in our forum.
Old 09-29-13, 10:07 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Yeah - I think that we might be too civil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LhsE-uqqE0

Old 09-29-13, 10:56 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculptor7
My original post about stacking wood was moved. But where? Had I named it, "I'd rather be cycling" would it have been acceptable? The essence of this 50s forum always seemed a free spirited and open conversation, the kind that only comes with age and maturity. The aged are often more open-minded than the young. Anyway, the net result for me is a negative feeling.At 78 I avoid negative feelings like potholes.
Personally, I like the "Stacking wood is boring" title better because it's more to the point. That way somebody who doesn't want to read about wood stacking can simply skip the thread. What's wrong with that?

As it is, you got quite a few responses which I think is pretty good considering the thread had been moved. I particularly liked the post with the pictures of the artfully stacked firewood.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 09-29-13 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-29-13, 11:19 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Most, if not all, forums (fora?) are titled by subject but ours is designated buy a chronological slice of the population. It would seem to me that someone recognized the uniqueness of our "group" and established a forum for us. So, let us discuss what we will in our forum.
Exactly!

A week ago I started a post that was moved to A&S. I deliberately posted in 50+ because I wanted to get 50+ responses. Instead I got A&S responses. I'm pouring my heart out for acquaintances who were run down by motorists and I have people making fun of me. One poster in particular was obviously trying to rile me. I thought about reporting the post but the writer happens to be a one star moderator.
Old 09-29-13, 04:09 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
At least one 50+ poster has had taken a break from BF thanks to some of the sophomoric comments in A&S. Some of us post only in 50+ because we don't have to want to put up with some less than "seasoned" posters in other forums.
Old 09-29-13, 05:51 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Yes, that is exactly what happened.
Old 09-29-13, 05:53 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Our frequent contributor sreten has been permanently banned, as one can note in the BFN "banned" thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...7-Banned-Users
Old 09-29-13, 06:02 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by CbadRider
Some people tend to only visit one forum and want all of their posts to stay in that forum whether they're relevant or not. This can lead to feelings of possessiveness about "their" forum and make it difficult for new people to feel welcome, and we get complaints about it.
Really ???

Someone actually takes the time to complain to a mod because they don't feel "welcome?"

Well, I . . . . !!!
Old 09-29-13, 06:28 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Our frequent contributor sreten has been permanently banned, as one can note in the BFN "banned" thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...7-Banned-Users
I actually pulled his last week's posts. Yeah, they were a bit annoying to some, perhaps, but I didn't see any ban-worthy behavior.

I'm guessing he had some unpleasant exchanges on the PM with a moderator.

Unfortunately the forum guidelines allow one to be blasted by whomever would like via PM, including mods, and if you make even a vague reference to it, it is a ban-worthy infraction.

If it had ever happen to me, I'd think it were terribly unfair. Thank goodness it has NEVER happened to me.

Having said that, I think the rules are unfair. It has never happened to me.

For what it's worth, and it's precious little, sreten's ban appeared to be unfair.

And I agree with my indignant brethren: if we wanted an Addiction thread, someone mould have started it by now.

Pub 51 meant well, but, not surprisingly, the topics trend towards alcohol consumption, and not everyone wants to participate.

Id like to start a thread called "Miscellany", where we discuss questions or observations that don't seem worthy of their own thread. I'd start it, but it don't want to see it merged with Pub 51.

Old 09-29-13, 06:52 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Yes, that is exactly what happened.
A very wise and perceptive individual that someone was.........................
Old 09-29-13, 06:52 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I actually pulled his last week's posts. Yeah, they were a bit annoying to some, perhaps, but I didn't see any ban-worthy behavior.

I'm guessing he had some unpleasant exchanges on the PM with a moderator.

Unfortunately the forum guidelines allow one to be blasted by whomever would like via PM, including mods, and if you make even a vague reference to it, it is a ban-worthy infraction.

If it had ever happen to me, I'd think it were terribly unfair. Thank goodness it has NEVER happened to me.

Having said that, I think the rules are unfair. It has never happened to me.

For what it's worth, and it's precious little, sreten's ban appeared to be unfair.

And I agree with my indignant brethren: if we wanted an Addiction thread, someone mould have started it by now.

Pub 51 meant well, but, not surprisingly, the topics trend towards alcohol consumption, and not everyone wants to participate.

Id like to start a thread called "Miscellany", where we discuss questions or observations that don't seem worthy of their own thread. I'd start it, but it don't want to see it merged with Pub 51.
We normally don't comment on the reason for a member's banning, because it is between the member and the forum staff. Perhaps you are not aware that posts that get deleted by moderators don't show up on the member's profile anymore.

Pub 51 is the thread for miscellaneous chitchat. The name of the thread was tossed around a bit when the thread was started. It can be changed to "Miscellany" if enough people want it changed.

Forum Guidelines *click here*

Last edited by CbadRider; 09-29-13 at 06:56 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.