Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picking up this tandem in a couple of weeks. Looks like a project!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 05:42 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts

Anyone have experience with an old gitane tandem?
Old 12-14-18, 06:08 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Oooh. That looks nice. A French tandem Mixte, with fenders and light(s). That looks like twin laterals on both the front and rear. I'm looking forward to more pic's, especially since it looks to be mostly all original. Let us know how it rides too.
Old 12-14-18, 06:11 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Looks nice - I especially like the rack on the front. A friend at the bike co-op near me had one, but he kept putting off working on it. I would think that the usual cautionary comments about scarcity of French parts may be double for a tandem. Recently, I have suffered the challenges of finding French cotter pins (narrower than others), which may mean that you want to avoid opening the BBs until you have replacement square taper axles to install (and then a new pair of cranksets). Does it have 27" wheels?

I would post something in the tandem cycling forum, too.
Old 12-14-18, 06:36 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Havnt seen good pics of it yet. It does have 27s and i am assuming much work needs to be done. For 99.00 i figured it was an interesting adventure. Plus its my size
Old 12-14-18, 09:47 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
We had one but it was pretty stripped down when we got it. The stoker section is pretty tight, so I had an MTB seatpost turned down to fit the rear seat tube to give the stoker a little more room. I did a straight bar conversion and put a T/A tandem triple on it and also still have most of a second T/A tandem crankset (missing the right front arm).
Old 12-14-18, 10:30 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by thumpism
We had one but it was pretty stripped down when we got it. The stoker section is pretty tight, so I had an MTB seatpost turned down to fit the rear seat tube to give the stoker a little more room. I did a straight bar conversion and put a T/A tandem triple on it and also still have most of a second T/A tandem crankset (missing the right front arm).
was it fun to ride? My gf is stoked...... actually we havnt decided who the captain is.
Old 12-14-18, 10:59 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Looks a bit older than my Gitane tandem (1983). Hard to tell from your picture, but proprietary bits on mine include an 11mm rear hub axle in a metric-thread Atom drum brake hub, a dual-cable MAFAC brake lever to operate the cantilever brakes, and a single cable lever for the drum brake. Metric threads on both bottom brackets and steer tube. 40-hole rims front and rear. Otherwise fairly typical.
Old 12-14-18, 11:21 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Looks a bit older than my Gitane tandem (1983). Hard to tell from your picture, but proprietary bits on mine include an 11mm rear hub axle in a metric-thread Atom drum brake hub, a dual-cable MAFAC brake lever to operate the cantilever brakes, and a single cable lever for the drum brake. Metric threads on both bottom brackets and steer tube. 40-hole rims front and rear. Otherwise fairly typical.
wow thanks. The guy selling it says the rear hub has been professionally serviced. Hopefully that means the drum is working well.
Old 12-14-18, 11:22 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
That’s so cool! Been trying to talk my wife into a tandem for what seems like forever. I assure her it’s for practicality. I’m looking forward to seeing progress. Do you still have that orange le tour?
Old 12-14-18, 11:36 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Phamilton
That’s so cool! Been trying to talk my wife into a tandem for what seems like forever. I assure her it’s for practicality. I’m looking forward to seeing progress. Do you still have that orange le tour?
the letour hangs in the garage.
Old 12-15-18, 08:31 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
The tandem might wind up hanging in the garage with it. It's nice that yours is mostly original and they're neat things to have, but a modern tandem rides so much better. I had the Gitane and a 5-speed Schwinn Deluxe Twinn before that and I'd put them both in the "bicycle built for two" category and not "serious tandem" category. They can feel cramped and they're whippy. Ride either one of those and then go ride a Santana or Cannondale and see if you don't agree. But it'll be a fun thing for you two and an introduction to the breed.
Old 12-15-18, 08:44 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
The tandem might wind up hanging in the garage with it. It's nice that yours is mostly original and they're neat things to have, but a modern tandem rides so much better. I had the Gitane and a 5-speed Schwinn Deluxe Twinn before that and I'd put them both in the "bicycle built for two" category and not "serious tandem" category. They can feel cramped and they're whippy. Ride either one of those and then go ride a Santana or Cannondale and see if you don't agree. But it'll be a fun thing for you two and an introduction to the breed.
My 5spd Schwinn Twinn is perfect for riding the bike path into town for a dinner date.
Old 12-15-18, 10:03 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
I hope that your sig other is into the tandem. I bought a Lejeune tandem. Wife and I rode it three times. Wife declared she would rather ride solo. Tandem hangs in basement.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 12-15-18, 10:44 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

We'll see how it goes. She wants to try it out. Its her idea. Its teally hard to talk me into an old bike you know.
Old 12-15-18, 11:02 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
We have the 'men's/men's' version of that tandem. Bought it used in '72 and figured it was probably made around '65. Changed the cranks over to TA cotterless and also started to have problems with the rear spokes breaking when we loaded it down for touring. So we replaced the rear drum brake hub with a Phil Wood 48-hole one. In addition to some touring, it served as our daily commute vehicle for a number of years and was converted to kid-back duty when our daughter was young and I used it to take her to school before continuing on to work.
Old 12-15-18, 11:26 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Quite the project but a good pick. Appears to have some neat extras. Good for neighborhood cruising and all ages.

Found this style Gitane tandem on a local sale listing for a couple I know. Sold ridiculous cheap, very clean with the classic Gitane blue and yellow font graphic. The drag brake was removed but doubt the couple will hit the hills.

I took it for a few mile test ride, found it sufficient for the occasional tandem experience but not long haul or long day. Torsional flex was 'very' noticeable.
For lighter riders.
Old 12-15-18, 12:01 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Quite the project but a good pick. Appears to have some neat extras. Good for neighborhood cruising and all ages.

Found this style Gitane tandem on a local sale listing for a couple I know. Sold ridiculous cheap, very clean with the classic Gitane blue and yellow font graphic. The drag brake was removed but doubt the couple will hit the hills.

I took it for a few mile test ride, found it sufficient for the occasional tandem experience but not long haul or long day. Torsional flex was 'very' noticeable.
For lighter riders.
I don't believe I have seen a curved seat tube French tandem before. I can see why it was flexible.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 12-15-18, 12:45 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Nice find! Should provide an interesting adventure if anything.

Old 12-15-18, 12:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict

For lighter riders.
Looks exactly like my '83 Gitane "Rallye" tandem, right down to the color:

I've made a few changes over the years: added a rack and mudgards, BB generator light, replaced rear derailleur, moved the drive crank to the stoker BB, roller bearing headset, different saddles. For a while it had a "kid back" on the stoker seat tube so I could ride my daughter to elementary school. It was always a big hit with the kids.
Old 12-15-18, 01:23 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Looks exactly like my '83 Gitane "Rallye" tandem, right down to the color:

I've made a few changes over the years: added a rack and mudgards, BB generator light, replaced rear derailleur, moved the drive crank to the stoker BB, roller bearing headset, different saddles. For a while it had a "kid back" on the stoker seat tube so I could ride my daughter to elementary school. It was always a big hit with the kids.
John, I didn't realize you got one of these too. Rachel and I had this same one, good deal at our employees discount. I made the same changes you did with the drive train. I ended up trading it for an Italian road bike once again we had moved to PA. Didn't get back into a tandem till about 10 years ago and are now all in with tandeming.
Old 12-15-18, 01:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Modern tandems are pretty great but I wish they had more options with step through frames like this.