Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's Your Secret For Energy?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's Your Secret For Energy?

Old 06-15-19, 04:04 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
Beet root capsules and a Kroger powered energy drink mix.
Old 06-15-19, 04:51 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Oddly enough it's the other way around for me. Cycling is my secret energy source for living my regular life.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-15-19, 05:11 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
No change in diet whatsoever. I eat what I eat.

But I do drink coconut water before a ride, and carry SaltStick capsules (usually 2) on my ride that I consume with water. And packets of yellow mustard in case I get leg cramps.
Old 06-15-19, 05:16 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
There is no miracle food, no "wonder potion/pill/powder" that'll turn you into a bicycling dynamo. All those ads for food supplements and specialty drinks are just a lot of marketing hype and snake oil sales tactics. Just eat a balanced diet, drink plenty of water, and add a few more calories if you'll be doing multi-day long rides.

A better method to increase your endurance is to do some type of interval training - hills, sprints, etc. Try doing them 1-2x per week. I personal run stairs 1-2x per week and have found it helps quite a bit. Google it and you should be able to find some good info on how to set up an interval training plan.
Likes For skidder:
Old 06-15-19, 06:31 PM
BikeAndIke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pancakes before a run/ride are the best.
Old 06-15-19, 06:31 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Coffee.

And it’s not a secret.
this!!
Old 06-16-19, 07:48 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Sleep. The better I sleep, the more energy I have.
No doubt sleep, and good sleep at that, is very important. But it seems, on some of the big rides I've been on, I had more energy after having very little sleep the night before. Maybe more adrenaline kicking in, who knows?
Old 06-16-19, 07:53 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Many years ago, my grandfather tried to impart the secret to me, but to my great misfortune, I failed to heed his sage advice, and though it's too late for me, I will pass his words of wisdom on to you.......

Here's what he told me............................................"Son, don't grow old".
Hey, it sure beats the alternative!
Old 06-16-19, 08:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I'm drinking coffee for the energy to sit here.. at 8am ..
Old 06-21-19, 09:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
on an all day ride last fall, I tried a suggestion a late friend gave me. 2 PB&J sandwiches cut into quarters. wound up being an awesome suggestion. I did take a break at the 1/2 way point & drank/ate other stuff. I finished the ride w 1/4 sandwich left over which was good to reward myself with in the car for the drive home

gotta remember to sip a little water to aid swallowing while riding. wrapping them & carrying them was interesting but I managed

I would do it again for similar circumstances
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-21-19, 10:33 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
There are many minerals/nutrients that help to keep your body running efficiently. Think of them like additives to your gasoline in your car. Without them it prevents your body from processing food, properly delivering energy to your muscles and keeping your brain from performing effectively. When you are putting out power your body will quickly use up these resources. The key to efficiency is having these nutrients readily available for consumption.

Quick reference -
Zinc - Helps to process carbs, increases the body's ability to process oxygen through the lungs
Salt - Need this to live. By drinking water alone you can decrease your salt and it will lead to cramping, headaches, overheating, nausea
Potassium - Needed for proper nerve and muscle function. Helps eliminate cramping (Cramping rather can be a sign that you are short on potassium reserves) its like an instruction for your body on where/how to use water and other nutrients.
Calcium - Stronger bones for sure but also helps with a protein that makes your muscles contract and elongate efficiently.
Magnesium - Someone above mentioned Adenosine triphosphate, this is the cellular energy magnesium creates in your body. It also works alongside Calcium for effective uptake of oxygen, calcium and energy burned by your muscles.
Vitamin B - Helps your body to store glycogen and give you stamina in a long ride.
Iron - Helps deliver red blood cells to muscles

I am not a doctor nor nutritionist. These are just hings I have picked up along the way so do your homework and work with a nutritionist or doctor to help get you dialed in. A good unprocessed foods diet will help your body to naturally produce most of this but electrolyte supplements are key for replacing these nutrients on longer harder rides.

-Sean
Old 06-21-19, 11:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Don't get Old..
Old 06-22-19, 06:07 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I stay about 15 pounds overweight and find that it keeps me from bonking on longer rides. A little bit of built in storage gives me energy for days.
And yeah, supplements are all gimmicks and marketing. You're wasting your money and better off focusing on good nutrition. I eliminate almost all refined sugars from my diet, and that helps a lot as well.
Likes For matimeo:
Old 06-22-19, 06:30 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
There are many minerals/nutrients that help to keep your body running efficiently. Think of them like additives to your gasoline in your car. Without them it prevents your body from processing food, properly delivering energy to your muscles and keeping your brain from performing effectively. When you are putting out power your body will quickly use up these resources. The key to efficiency is having these nutrients readily available for consumption.

Quick reference -
Zinc - Helps to process carbs, increases the body's ability to process oxygen through the lungs
Salt - Need this to live. By drinking water alone you can decrease your salt and it will lead to cramping, headaches, overheating, nausea
Potassium - Needed for proper nerve and muscle function. Helps eliminate cramping (Cramping rather can be a sign that you are short on potassium reserves) its like an instruction for your body on where/how to use water and other nutrients.
Calcium - Stronger bones for sure but also helps with a protein that makes your muscles contract and elongate efficiently.
Magnesium - Someone above mentioned Adenosine triphosphate, this is the cellular energy magnesium creates in your body. It also works alongside Calcium for effective uptake of oxygen, calcium and energy burned by your muscles.
Vitamin B - Helps your body to store glycogen and give you stamina in a long ride.
Iron - Helps deliver red blood cells to muscles

I am not a doctor nor nutritionist. These are just hings I have picked up along the way so do your homework and work with a nutritionist or doctor to help get you dialed in. A good unprocessed foods diet will help your body to naturally produce most of this but electrolyte supplements are key for replacing these nutrients on longer harder rides.

-Sean
B Vitamins are good until you start ingesting the synthetic B vitamins which actually harm more than help. someone help me on this and shed a bit more light please. most cheap vitamins are synthetic B vitamins which basically are worthless. the same goes for synthetic vitamin E...worthless, you need the natural form.

other than that: great list!
Old 06-23-19, 12:22 PM
jfan

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Other than a multivitamin, I don't believe in supplements either. Stay hydrated, eat half way decent and drink coffee. If I don't do any one of these, I notice a drop in energy, whether I ride that day or not. On rides over 20mi the Cliff blocks with caffeine keep me from bonking.
Old 06-24-19, 12:03 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by matimeo
I stay about 15 pounds overweight and find that it keeps me from bonking on longer rides.
Yeah, I stay about 15 over because of that too
Old 06-24-19, 02:37 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Since I follow a ketogenic diet: bacon, eggs, beef, leafy greens, cheese (there's more to a keto diet than that, but I thought I'd stereotype myself)
Supplements include electrolytes, collagen powder, vitamin D.

I tend to ride after my work day. I have nothing to eat from about 2 pm and ride around 6. I take a bottle of water with me on a 20 mile ride and feel more energetic when my ride is over than when it started. For longer rides I may have a GU pack as back up, but may not need anything at all.
Old 07-03-19, 09:52 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Energy comes from food, and the fast way to get energy from food is through carbohydrates.

Coffee is a stimulant. It might improve mental clarity but there's no energy in it whatsoever. All that other stuff just helps you utilize your energy stores better. That is, if you're deficient.
Originally Posted by matimeo
I stay about 15 pounds overweight and find that it keeps me from bonking on longer rides. A little bit of built in storage gives me energy for days.
And yeah, supplements are all gimmicks and marketing. You're wasting your money and better off focusing on good nutrition. I eliminate almost all refined sugars from my diet, and that helps a lot as well.
Someone already pointed out that supplements are effective when used properly, i.e. as "supplements."
Old 07-04-19, 05:33 PM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
I don't necessarily take them for cycling purposes, but here's my list:

Coq10 - 100 mg to 300 mg per day
Vitamin D - 400 IU
multivitamin
Vitamin C - 500 mg
Fish Oil
Potassium - 200 mg
Magnesium - 250 mg

Exercise specific:
GU or Bolt chews
GU gels

Recovery after long rides or hikes:
GU Recovery Drink Mix - I mix it with fat free, lactose free milk
Old 07-04-19, 07:10 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
No change in diet whatsoever. I eat what I eat.

But I do drink coconut water before a ride, and carry SaltStick capsules (usually 2) on my ride that I consume with water. And packets of yellow mustard in case I get leg cramps.

Do you ingest the mustard or apply to shaven or unshaven legs for cramps?
gm
Old 07-04-19, 07:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...f-they-n992266
Old 07-05-19, 09:29 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
Thanks for posting this link: "Vitamin supplements don't help people live longer, study finds". It provides some good information for consideration.

To me, one of the key comments it makes is: "I don’t think you can undo the effect of a bad diet by taking supplements." This would seem to be true, and really, it seems almost self-evident.

It seems to me that there is strong evidence to the benefits of certain supplements. The key is that if you have an unhealthy diet and an unhealty lifestyle, you can't expect supplements to make you healthy and give you a long life. Heredity plays a big factor in health and lifespan, as well. There are so many variables. Personally, there are some supplements that I take and will continue to take unless there is information that changes my mind.

There are certain supplements that are more applicable to some groups of people than others. CoQ10 is a much more important supplement for people that take statin drugs than for the general population - because statin drugs are known to deplete CoQ10 levels.

As with most things in life, individual freedom and individual choice are critical to everyone being able to decide for themselves, act accordingly, and accept the consequences, good or bad.

Originally Posted by livedarklions

Last edited by Rje58; 07-05-19 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-05-19, 10:32 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
My "secret" for having the energy to get on the bike and go is habit and routine. I find that my diet changes to compensate for my level of activity, not the other way around.
Old 07-05-19, 11:08 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Powdered Gatorade + Gels
Old 07-05-19, 11:20 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Likes For Cyclist0108:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.