Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Takes GPS or just use phone?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Takes GPS or just use phone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 07:20 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by zenolee
I was on a 9 day tour and all I used was my phone with a puny charging bank - 10000mah. The powerbank was enough for 2.5 charges.

I think it all depends on the situation. I never depleted the power bank full and at worst I had a 1/2 a charge left. Occasionally, I never used it and my phone (iPhone SE) had enough charge. But I did a very well signposted trail and only had to check the phone every once in a while. I would never use it for turn-by-turn directions though so if you need that then dedicated GPS is appropriate.

I like downloading GPX files and just check the map once in a while so that I'm not totally off course.
Power banks (batteries) are probably the best way to go, with an iphone. I have an older one, made by Halo, that's good for a couple charges or more, and I see newer ones are way cheap now. 👍
I finally got smart enough to turn off icloud for photos, and battery life got way better, on my old 6S. There are several things you should tweak, but I'm still new to anything Mac, so using restraint. 😉
Old 06-27-19, 07:50 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
For the Edges, it's not complicated. It's selecting a region, downloading a file, then copying that file to the unit. The first time might be a bit more work figuring it out.

Some of the older units can only handle one file name. So, you have to rename the map file installed on the unit.

It's "course points" (not waypoints) thas the 200 limit. It's not an issue unless you have really long (like 300 miles) or very complicated routes. You would generally have much shorter routes. Course points are optional anyway.

The limit for waypoints (locations you can navigate to) is like 1000.

I haven't ever hit either limit.
I don't mean to split hairs but Garmin says Edge Explore: "Waypoints/favorites/locations = 200". OTOH the more I read, the more it seems you're correct that waypoints are not necessarily an issue. Garmin's info incl user manuals is rather lacking, it all seems to be written by technical writers, few, if any, being bike tourists.

BTW I managed to download an OSM map to my old eTrex: as you say it's not necessarily super-complicated but nonetheless it took me 5 hrs work + some extra download hours. There's different websites & many options, the garmin.openstreetmap.nl is good but only let me d/l a portion of the US map. Other sites have the complete US file but it's a bit too big to fit on older GPS units.

Well anyway, I wish I hadn't sold my old smartphone instead of keeping it for a cheap bike GPS. IIRC I got ~$50, much less than the nicer current eTrex's or Edges. I'm not sure how one would load Google/OSM maps to a de-activated phone but I assume that with a PC that's possible.
Old 06-27-19, 07:58 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Prepping the trusty Garmin 76C as I type this . I will have the phone and a tablet as backup. And I will have the phone for city paths which my Garmin doe snot have.
Old 06-27-19, 07:59 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I don't mean to split hairs but Garmin says Edge Explore: "Waypoints/favorites/locations = 200". OTOH the more I read, the more it seems you're correct that waypoints are not necessarily an issue.
Yes, there is a 200 limit to those on the Edges. But they aren't related to "preprogrammed routes" (which is what you appeared to concerned about).

The Edges display the locations on the map. I wonder if the 32x does. The devices are slow enough that keeping track of 2000 locations might be too slow.

​​​​​​
I'm not sure how one would load Google/OSM maps to a de-activated phone but I assume that with a PC that's possible.
Phones also have wifi (you don't need a SIM for that).

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-27-19 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 08:28 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Prepping the trusty Garmin 76C as I type this . I will have the phone and a tablet as backup. And I will have the phone for city paths which my Garmin doe snot have.
Well apparently not so trusty. I can't upload one freaking map. And I am uploading some of the same maps I uploaded last year.

Very odd. The message says The map set is 3.34MB but only 115 MB is available in the destination. Please select few maps.

Isn't 3.34MP less than 115MB???
Old 06-27-19, 10:47 PM
DropBarFan

Yes, there is a 200 limit to those on the Edges. But they aren't related to "preprogrammed routes" (which is what you appeared to concerned about).

The Edges display the locations on the map. I wonder if the 32x does. The devices are slow enough that keeping track of 2000 locations might be too slow.

Phones also have wifi (you don't need a SIM for that).

eTrex Legend HCX manual says:

"Creating a Route: Routing creates a series of waypoints that lead you to your final destination. The eTrex stores 50 routes with up to 250 points each. Create or modify a route using the Routes page, and add waypoints to a route. Create complex routes using MapSource mapping." So Garmin leads one to believe that routes/waypoints are the way to go. The manual doesn't specifically mention audible prompts but I had read (somewhere) that turn prompts only worked with Routes & not Tracks. Other info I read says that turn-by-turn prompts only worked with Tracks (Courses?).

So while I've been tempted to try a new Garmin, $300 seems quite exorbitant for a device which still has reportedly lame software. For now I think I'll use cue sheets & printed maps & rely on phone + power bank for the few times I might get side-tracked. New Garmin might make sense for a cross-USA or big Euro tour, otherwise it seems like a luxury. Same money could buy a dyno-hub or hydraulic brakes.
Old 06-27-19, 11:22 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
GPS for nav, phone for communicating and taking pics.

One of these days I'll get around to setting up an old Android with RWGPS and give that a go, but thus far I've not had sufficient motivation. The ancient eTrex 20x seems bombproof.

Cheers.
Old 06-27-19, 11:47 PM
njkayaker

eTrex Legend HCX manual says:

"Creating a Route: Routing creates a series of waypoints that lead you to your final destination. The eTrex stores 50 routes with up to 250 points each. Create or modify a route using the Routes page, and add waypoints to a route. Create complex routes using MapSource mapping." So Garmin leads one to believe that routes/waypoints are the way to go. The manual doesn't specifically mention audible prompts but I had read (somewhere) that turn prompts only worked with Routes & not Tracks. Other info I read says that turn-by-turn prompts only worked with Tracks (Courses?).
The Edges work differently.

A "track" file is a list of points that traces the curves and turns of your intended path (there are many points).

A "route" file is a list of "places" (waypoints) you want to pass through (there are not many of these).

The Edges can't use "route" files.

Some of the Edges (like the Touring) let you create multi-step routes, but it's painful on a small screen.

Typically, people create track files on a website.

The track files can have embedded turn instructions ("course points"). Those are intended for Edge units that don't use maps (but all the Edges can use "course points").

The Edge units that use maps can generate turn instructions ("turn guidance") by following the track.

"MapSource" is a PC-based route planner. It's really old (it was supplanted by BaseCamp).

So while I've been tempted to try a new Garmin, $300 seems quite exorbitant for a device which still has reportedly lame software. For now I think I'll use cue sheets & printed maps & rely on phone + power bank for the few times I might get side-tracked. New Garmin might make sense for a cross-USA or big Euro tour, otherwise it seems like a luxury. Same money could buy a dyno-hub or hydraulic brakes.
Cuesheets kind of suck (they are terrible, actually). They aren't practical if you change your mind.

They are cheap, though. (Use them if you like.)

Using a phone could be similar to using a Garmin.

The Garmins (or phone) work best for "big Euro tours" when using them is part of your routine.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-28-19 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-28-19, 01:47 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Well apparently not so trusty. I can't upload one freaking map. And I am uploading some of the same maps I uploaded last year.

Very odd. The message says The map set is 3.34MB but only 115 MB is available in the destination. Please select few maps.

Isn't 3.34MP less than 115MB???
Got the, to load! I found mapsource on the Garmin site. I thought it was no longer available. tried it and it works. Map Install sucks.
Old 06-29-19, 10:37 PM
DropBarFan

The Edges work differently.

A "track" file is a list of points that traces the curves and turns of your intended path (there are many points).

A "route" file is a list of "places" (waypoints) you want to pass through (there are not many of these).

The Edges can't use "route" files.

Some of the Edges (like the Touring) let you create multi-step routes, but it's painful on a small screen.

Typically, people create track files on a website.

The track files can have embedded turn instructions ("course points"). Those are intended for Edge units that don't use maps (but all the Edges can use "course points").

The Edge units that use maps can generate turn instructions ("turn guidance") by following the track.

"MapSource" is a PC-based route planner. It's really old (it was supplanted by BaseCamp).

Cuesheets kind of suck (they are terrible, actually). They aren't practical if you change your mind.

They are cheap, though. (Use them if you like.)

Using a phone could be similar to using a Garmin.

The Garmins (or phone) work best for "big Euro tours" when using them is part of your routine.
Thanks for the info, I'm a bit surprised Edges can't use route files but I figure that makes sense if tracks/courses work better for navigation anyway. Cue sheets do have their downfalls of course: on complicated routes it's easy to make a mistake writing turns or else miss a turn while riding, this happens to me even on some local rides. & on tour, it's not fun to waste 30 min or whatnot with a wrong turn. So I've changed my mind & am thinking about getting a new Garmin. I suppose it's something of a luxury but with limited touring time it might help make touring more relaxing & fun by keeping to the schedule.
Old 06-30-19, 02:50 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'm a big fan of using my iphone in low power mode with bluetooth and wifi turned off, a nice waterproof case on it, a small powerbank just in case, and the maps.me app. I would Not use google maps. You'll go through your battery in no time trying to run that all day. Maps.me is free and you can download maps for your destination area and run it whether you have a cell signal or not. I used that for a trip in another country where I had no phone plan/service. No problems at all. I see cell phone damage as being a pretty rare issue. With a good waterproof case, a decent phone can take a lot of abuse.
Old 07-01-19, 11:54 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
I'm a big fan of using my iphone in low power mode with bluetooth and wifi turned off, a nice waterproof case on it, a small powerbank just in case, and the maps.me app. I would Not use google maps. You'll go through your battery in no time trying to run that all day. Maps.me is free and you can download maps for your destination area and run it whether you have a cell signal or not. I used that for a trip in another country where I had no phone plan/service. No problems at all. I see cell phone damage as being a pretty rare issue. With a good waterproof case, a decent phone can take a lot of abuse.
I also used Maps.me on a trip overseas. It was a huge help in a couple instances to pinpoint our location when we got off track and couldn't identify our whereabouts with printed maps. You can have the phone in airplane mode and still take advantage of the inherent GPS to get your location on the previously downloaded maps. We didn't use it as a tool to direct us on our route like a GPS but the offline access to identify lodging, food, etc. was very beneficial.
Old 07-01-19, 12:22 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by badger_biker
I also used Maps.me on a trip overseas. It was a huge help in a couple instances to pinpoint our location when we got off track and couldn't identify our whereabouts with printed maps. You can have the phone in airplane mode and still take advantage of the inherent GPS to get your location on the previously downloaded maps. We didn't use it as a tool to direct us on our route like a GPS but the offline access to identify lodging, food, etc. was very beneficial.
Whatever method people prefer, if they are carrying a smart phone, they should still install an "off line" mapping app (Guru Maps, Maps.me, Osmand).
Old 07-10-19, 09:11 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
GPS. Garmin.