Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Foods that put you down?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Foods that put you down?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 10:36 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Foods that put you down?

What type of foods you think put down your performance? food to avoid?
Old 03-25-17, 12:26 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I consciously avoid anything with bell peppers or raw onion before or during rides (on rides where I eat during.) Mostly just due to the fact that they revenge on me, and burping peppers or onion for a few hours is quite unpleasant. I haven't noted any particular food that makes me feel as if they're "weighing me down," though. That said, I have a laundry list of must-avoid foods due to an interminable battle with diverticulitis, which is a whole 'nother topic entirely.
Old 03-25-17, 12:31 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Cliff bars.

Basically, anything acidic or hard to digest, before a ride. Anything with too much simple sugar.
Old 03-25-17, 12:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Eating too much of any food before and/or during training will upset your performance. It's not about any particular food but it's the portion size and calories consumed...For me personally there is only one food which I can't tolerate and that is anything that has coconut. Coconut oil and coconut milk just kills me...I hate coconut so much that if I had a choice between eating coconut or raw liver I would chose to eat raw liver.
Old 03-25-17, 06:42 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Peanuts and some dairy.

I'm intolerant of both, and both make my digestive system rather ... active. Not good when you're on a bicycle.
Old 03-26-17, 06:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Depends on intensity and timing.

Before and during an intense ride: no fat, no fiber. Thus nothing even vaguely difficult to digest, including almost everything people think of as normal food. I can't even drink milk or eat an apple. Simple sugars, maltodextrin, gels, Shot Bloks, sports drinks, whey protein, that sort of thing.

Before and during a moderate ride: anything that's not too hard to digest. The above, plus potatoes, pastries, sandwiches, fruit, ice cream, pie, sports and protein bars, that sort of thing.

After any ride: whatever suits my macros. IOW the macros I need to complete my day's diet, so proteins, carbs, fats, in amounts to fill in my need for the various grams of macros that I destroyed or burned during the day and will need to have available for destruction or burning on the next day. If I'm not riding or working out the next day, then just whatever I feel like that won't cause weight gain.
Old 03-26-17, 06:44 PM
stykthyn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The biggest one for me? Alcohol. I love it, but it will suck any physical or mental energy from my bones.

I function best on a high protein diet. Chicken, farm eggs, ahi tuna,cheese and avocados for fats keep me chugging along. If I crave sugar a glass of juice hits the spot.
Old 03-27-17, 12:24 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Est-ce que vous écrivez un manuel pour vous aider quand vous devenez un «directeur de course personnel»? Vous compilez toutes nos réponses ...

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...-director.html
Old 03-30-17, 12:49 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Est-ce que vous écrivez un manuel pour vous aider quand vous devenez un «directeur de course personnel»? Vous compilez toutes nos réponses ...
You just made me realize how much French I've forgotten since college, lol

I'll shy away from red meat when I'm doing longer rides twice or so a week. It takes forever for my body to digest, and, I feel is a large contributer to my weight gain if/when it happens.
Old 03-30-17, 01:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Granola gives me gas.
Old 03-31-17, 07:42 AM
BadBurrito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...-director.html
dang. I'm trying to learn french, I almost understood it all, made my day
Old 03-31-17, 02:22 PM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am cooking pork ribs now in soya sauce, etc since I am asian .. LOL

Tomorrow I am going for my first 60 mile ride. My previous clip is 51 miles and I didnt do a good job.

Why pork? It got sustaining energy. I hope it doesnt put me down.

Tomorrow I am eating mostly carbohydrates.
Old 03-31-17, 02:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
I read the title and was thinking hemlock.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-31-17, 10:15 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Depends on intensity and timing.

Before and during an intense ride: no fat, no fiber. Thus nothing even vaguely difficult to digest, including almost everything people think of as normal food. I can't even drink milk or eat an apple. Simple sugars, maltodextrin, gels, Shot Bloks, sports drinks, whey protein, that sort of thing.

Before and during a moderate ride: anything that's not too hard to digest. The above, plus potatoes, pastries, sandwiches, fruit, ice cream, pie, sports and protein bars, that sort of thing.

After any ride: whatever suits my macros. IOW the macros I need to complete my day's diet, so proteins, carbs, fats, in amounts to fill in my need for the various grams of macros that I destroyed or burned during the day and will need to have available for destruction or burning on the next day. If I'm not riding or working out the next day, then just whatever I feel like that won't cause weight gain.
Back when I rode serious distance, speed and elevation, this quote described me to a "T". I had problems on RamRod several times with fueling. Hammer nutrition products solve the problem nicely, but I discovered them after I was a bit old for this type of performance.
Old 03-31-17, 10:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
Back when I rode serious distance, speed and elevation, this quote described me to a "T". I had problems on RamRod several times with fueling. Hammer nutrition products solve the problem nicely, but I discovered them after I was a bit old for this type of performance.
I'm 71 and rode RAMROD in '15 on our tandem with my wife, in '16 solo, and will ride it solo again this year and for as long as I can manage it. Low numbers are fun. The nice thing about being old is that one has more time to train. Using an annual training plan on TrainingPeaks has been a big help.

I did quit randoing in my late 60s though. I'd rather ride tandem with my wife. Life is short. Going to ride a metric century tomorrow on the tandem. Not supposed to rain during the ride time. Just made up my bottle of malto and whey protein, 750 calories. My wife uses Ensure, 2-3 bottles for a metric. Right now, we're training for a Cascade tour at the end of April. Don't let it get you down.
Old 03-31-17, 11:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
The foods I avoided in my racing days (ie when it mattered) were animal products except cheese and yogurt, occasional poultry and fish. These because of the slow digestion, preferring to eat lighter foods and let my body concentrate on rebuilding muscles. Before a big race, my last normal meal would be breakfast the day before. After that, all the fruit, fruit juice and water I wanted right up to the start. (I rarely wanted much the couple of hours before racing.) Big advantage of the fruit diet - I started the race with a very clean GI tract and felt great.

Ben
Old 04-01-17, 08:54 AM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'm 71 and rode RAMROD in '15 on our tandem with my wife, in '16 solo, and will ride it solo again this year and for as long as I can manage it. Low numbers are fun. The nice thing about being old is that one has more time to train. Using an annual training plan on TrainingPeaks has been a big help.

I did quit randoing in my late 60s though. I'd rather ride tandem with my wife. Life is short. Going to ride a metric century tomorrow on the tandem. Not supposed to rain during the ride time. Just made up my bottle of malto and whey protein, 750 calories. My wife uses Ensure, 2-3 bottles for a metric. Right now, we're training for a Cascade tour at the end of April. Don't let it get you down.
Wow! I'm ten years younger than you, commute 25 miles a day but am off for a month because they just put in a pacemaker. Hoping to get back to some of my high riding this summer again.
Old 09-05-17, 05:31 PM
Shadowx

Bikes: Marin Larkspur CS2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pizza, every time I eat it I feel super sluggish the WHOLE ride.
Old 09-06-17, 08:45 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Instant noodles. During a hard workout I feel as if the aftertaste is coming out from my stomach to taint and put an icky sensation in my mouth.
Old 09-09-17, 06:43 PM
Altimis

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I eat like **** then wait 10 - 20 mins and go ride without too much problem, I guess its depend on person

But if I am gonna race or do hard intensity, I would avoid gluten rich/fatty/oil/fried food, its hard on my gut to the point that I want to vomit halfway . . .
Old 09-10-17, 05:40 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Pancakes, waffles, etc. before or during a stop. Carbon crash an hour later.

Old 09-10-17, 08:35 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
It's going to vary from person to person, but anything you are sensitive to or have trouble digesting will be on the "Avoid" list. You also have to consider what type of ride you are doing. A 150-mile day tour will have different requirements than a time trial or sprints on the local A-group training ride. Generally, think of simple carbs (including maltodextrin) as jet fuel for fast, short burns and complex carbs and fats as diesel for the long haul. Protein is important, but should not be considered as a primary fuel before or during a ride. It comes into play more during your post-ride recovery and rest periods, when your body is growing and rebuilding.

In general, avoid heavy or greasy meals, spicy and gassy foods. Personally, I avoid dairy and leafy or fibrous vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, large salads) before and during rides. I do best on dilute fruit juice (homemade lemonade with just a pinch of NuSalt, which contains NaCl and KCl), dried fruits, nuts, oatmeal cookies, some granola or granola bars (Nature Valley crunchy works for me, some others have too much sugar and/or fat). I love chocolate but learned not to eat or drink anything chocolate during hard rides because it gives me heartburn, post-ride no problem).

Last edited by Myosmith; 09-24-17 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-11-17, 09:06 AM
atitagain

Bikes: caad 8 c'dale , trek madone 5.2

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if it had a mother don't eat it . If it is a product from something that had a mother don't eat it . If it comes in a package that cost more to produce than the product inside , don't eat it . If it had anything to do at anytime with anything that came from monsanto , don't eat it . If it has been irradiated don't eat it . if you think fluoride is in water to prevent cavities you are not going to be able to understand this message . Bon apettit' .
Old 09-11-17, 07:37 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by atitagain
if it had a mother don't eat it . If it is a product from something that had a mother don't eat it . If it comes in a package that cost more to produce than the product inside , don't eat it . If it had anything to do at anytime with anything that came from monsanto , don't eat it . If it has been irradiated don't eat it . if you think fluoride is in water to prevent cavities you are not going to be able to understand this message . Bon apettit' .
We need to ban dihydrogen monoxide. It's a chemical compound used as a solvent and dilutent in many industrial processes and as a component of many herbicides and pesticides. The use of dihydrogen monoxide is largely unregulated and it is commonly found in household cleaners, paints and engine cooling systems. It winds up in lakes and streams through runoff and leeches into the ground infiltrating aquifers. It has been showing up in many foods and beverages, including baby forumulas and has even been found in the breast milk of mothers who consumed it. Though not confirmed by industry sources, there have been allegations of varying amounts of it in some sports nutrition products. Dihydrogen monoxide has been implicated as a major contributor to vomiting, diarrhea, micturation and diaphoresis. If excessive amounts get into your lungs it can be rapidly fatal. There have been petitions circulated demanding that dihydrogen monoxide be banned or at least highly regulated but so far there has been no action by any government regulatory body.

https://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Last edited by Myosmith; 09-11-17 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 01:28 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I read the title and was thinking hemlock.
Heck, I read the title and was thinking dogs and radiator anti freeze!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.