Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jamis Renegade owners

Old 11-07-18, 09:38 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredgrad01
New owner here. I just got a 2018 Jamis Renegade Escapade (Ultegra) on clearance, went for a ride to day, and it was fantastic, but it feels like there is no cushion in the handlebar tape at all, my hands got a bit numb after an hour. I am coming off a 3T Ergonova with a gel pad, so I was expecting something more round and less cushy, but it just seems over the top hard. The website says " Fizik Microtex Superlight Soft Touch with gel inserts" I am seeing the tape, but not feeling any gel inserts in there. Are there supposed to be actual gel pads underneath the tape that I need to check with the store if they forgot to put in? Also, how good are these inserts, are they supposed to be Fizik brand ones as well, or just some generic ones?
Go ask them? Mine didn't come with any.
Old 11-07-18, 09:40 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Sakriv
With snow forecast for later this week here in Michigan and the salty roads that come with it, I'm looking at buying a Wahoo KICKR CORE smart trainer during this month's sales so I can get my Zwift on. My 2018 Renegade Escapade appears to be compatible. What trainers have you used with your Renegades?
That looks like a really nice trainer.
Old 11-07-18, 10:23 AM
bigredgrad01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Go ask them? Mine didn't come with any.
I asked, they said exact specifications are subject to change without notice. Which didn't really fly well with me, but since I got a great deal on it, and it's otherwise phenomenal, it wasn't like I was going to return it over some bar gel. I ordered planet bike gel pads from Amazon, we'll see how it goes. Also scored a bit narrower (42 vs 44) 3T Er(go)nova l with flat tops from Jenson for $30, so going to dial the fit and kush in.
Old 11-07-18, 11:26 AM
shoota 

I asked, they said exact specifications are subject to change without notice. Which didn't really fly well with me, but since I got a great deal on it, and it's otherwise phenomenal, it wasn't like I was going to return it over some bar gel. I ordered planet bike gel pads from Amazon, we'll see how it goes. Also scored a bit narrower (42 vs 44) 3T Er(go)nova l with flat tops from Jenson for $30, so going to dial the fit and kush in.
It may not sit well but it's true. I've dealt with that before, it can be pretty irritating.
Old 11-08-18, 03:16 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Took my Renegade Exile on my first competitive ride (42 miles) a few weeks ago bone stock. I don't think it being entry level held me back any since I was 4th in the short course. Fun enough that I signed up for the Texas Chainring Massacre 100k route, and may do another before then.
Old 11-13-18, 01:33 PM
cred0021

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sakriv
With snow forecast for later this week here in Michigan and the salty roads that come with it, I'm looking at buying a Wahoo KICKR CORE smart trainer during this month's sales so I can get my Zwift on. My 2018 Renegade Escapade appears to be compatible. What trainers have you used with your Renegades?
I use my 2018 Exploit on the Kickr Core, works great - though, I am thinking about building/buying a rocker plate for it...
Old 11-15-18, 03:58 PM
bigredgrad01

Originally Posted by lennskii
Thought I'd share in the Renegade love.

L to R: 2018 Expat, 2017 Exploit, 2018 Escapade.

All tubelessed.

Have 1x11 converted the Exploit and Escapade for simplicity and lower range of gearing over stock (ride a fair bit of singletrack on them and 1x was better suited for big gear dumps).

Also used some Wolf Tooth B-Rad bases to re-position the bottle cages quickly (two quick bolts to crack + tighten) should I need to run a half-frame bag & to fit the Fabric cageless keg as there was some clearance issues on the underside down-tube bottle bosses.

Loving how nippy they ride. Perfect for 5-15kg weighted touring and still agile, responsive and nippy for regular training rides. Used to have a Kona Sutra and Surly Cross-Check, both of which were comparatively lethargic unloaded (they were great with 25kg load, but that happens once every couple of years. The Renegade still rides well with heavy 25kg loads though). Normally a mountain biker - so a road bike I can do some intervals/tempo training rides and still hoon off on bits of singletrack in the corner of my eye is perfect.

Nice collection. What kind of tool keg is that? Any issues with hydraulic brake hose coming out underneath the bottom bottle cage?
Old 11-16-18, 09:18 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Depends on how you ride your road bike. If you just plod along it won't feel too different but if you like to ride hard it will feel slower and more sluggish. That's just the way gravel bikes will feel compared to dedicated road bikes.
This is not true at all. It just depends on the gravel bike (also called allroad bikes) you buy. Many have longer weelbases and are comfortable riding but 'stable' and some call that sluggish. Some have short wheelbaases like the Open or the 3T and are extremely sporty but still have wide but very fast tires. Both types are available and you should test ride a few to see the differences. The Open and 3T with the right tires are very competitive with road bikes and can be built to be well under 16 pounds if you choose to go that way, and they are lightning fast at the same time and can blow the doors off of a road bike (if road bikes had doors at least!). You just have to pick the right model.
Old 11-19-18, 02:19 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by dwmckee
This is not true at all. It just depends on the gravel bike (also called allroad bikes) you buy. Many have longer weelbases and are comfortable riding but 'stable' and some call that sluggish. Some have short wheelbaases like the Open or the 3T and are extremely sporty but still have wide but very fast tires. Both types are available and you should test ride a few to see the differences. The Open and 3T with the right tires are very competitive with road bikes and can be built to be well under 16 pounds if you choose to go that way, and they are lightning fast at the same time and can blow the doors off of a road bike (if road bikes had doors at least!). You just have to pick the right model.
Way to pick out the two outliers in the gravel bike market that 99% of us could never afford when I was clearly generalizing... in a Jamis Renegade thread. *slow clap*
Old 11-28-18, 10:11 AM
bigredgrad01

Does Jamis rust protect their steel frames?

Do people know if Jamis sprays any rust protector inside their steel frames prior to assembly, or would it be beneficial to do so after the purchase? Have any fellow owners treated the insides of their frames with an application of Frame Saver or Amsoil HDMP after purchase?
I live in California and don't ride much in the wet, but sometimes get caught in the rain or ride on wet surface. I have fenders on order to use in the winter.
Old 12-03-18, 02:24 PM
Mr_Pacman

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently had Renegade Exile delivered and I'm in the process of assembling it.

Question, on the FRONT disc brake caliper, does it bolt directly to the mounting holes on the front fork, or is there a "mounting bracket" that the brake caliper attaches to (like on the rear brake)? According to the Tektro Lyra instructions, there should have been a front mounting bracket that would attach to the fork, and then the caliper attaches to it ( I didn't get a front bracket)...….but any picture I can find online shows the brake mounted directly to the front fork.

Thanks
James
Old 12-03-18, 02:52 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Mr_Pacman
I recently had Renegade Exile delivered and I'm in the process of assembling it.

Question, on the FRONT disc brake caliper, does it bolt directly to the mounting holes on the front fork, or is there a "mounting bracket" that the brake caliper attaches to (like on the rear brake)? According to the Tektro Lyra instructions, there should have been a front mounting bracket that would attach to the fork, and then the caliper attaches to it ( I didn't get a front bracket)...….but any picture I can find online shows the brake mounted directly to the front fork.

Thanks
James
That's likely just a spacer for adapting between different rotor sizes. Install the wheel/rotor, install the brake caliper, and if it fits you don't need an adapter. It won't hurt to try.
Old 12-04-18, 12:07 AM
HLW

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure which model you have, but my 2017 expat had no treatment. I had some water build up from getting caught in the rain and I'm sure some water got in the chainstay holes while washing the bike and it has caused the frame to start rusting already. I first noticed it in the seat tube and there was even some rust water sludge in the bottom bracket shell when I removed the crankset. I'm not really bothered by it, but if you have a nicer 853 frame I would definitely treat it.
Old 12-04-18, 07:53 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Suggestion. Get some "Fluid Film".
It comes in a spray can like frame saver does but it is bigger. I have heard the coast guard uses that stuff on their helicopters when hovering over the saltwater in the ocean. I figure if it is good enough for them, its probably good enough for a bike. The cans can be had at Lowes for about $10 and have a small spray tube like wd40 which allows you to insert it into all the frame weep holes.
Likes For scale:
Old 12-04-18, 10:32 AM
bigredgrad01

Originally Posted by HLW
Not sure which model you have, but my 2017 expat had no treatment. I had some water build up from getting caught in the rain and I'm sure some water got in the chainstay holes while washing the bike and it has caused the frame to start rusting already. I first noticed it in the seat tube and there was even some rust water sludge in the bottom bracket shell when I removed the crankset. I'm not really bothered by it, but if you have a nicer 853 frame I would definitely treat it.
I got the Renegade Escapade with 631 steel. I think I am going to spray it just to be safe when I take the fork out for cutting.
Old 12-04-18, 10:33 AM
bigredgrad01

Originally Posted by scale
Suggestion. Get some "Fluid Film".
It comes in a spray can like frame saver does but it is bigger. I have heard the coast guard uses that stuff on their helicopters when hovering over the saltwater in the ocean. I figure if it is good enough for them, its probably good enough for a bike. The cans can be had at Lowes for about $10 and have a small spray tube like wd40 which allows you to insert it into all the frame weep holes.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.
Old 12-14-18, 04:26 PM
sideshow

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interested in info on the 1x10 or 1x11 gearing upgrade

What's the cost, and is it worth doing. I do mostly ride gravel and go bike packing. I have a 2016 expat. Thoughts?
Old 12-15-18, 11:27 PM
bigredgrad01

Got an 11-40 XT cassette on it and some accessories on it, and took it for a nice long hilly ride today.

My Escapade on an escapade.
Old 12-21-18, 11:52 AM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
im right under 6'1 current weight 250lbs (football player) i currently ride a 2013 jamis nova race 58 with 90mm ritchey stem on ritchey evomax bars are there any riders close height weight if so what size did you go with.
Old 12-21-18, 07:02 PM
bigredgrad01

Originally Posted by valve_timing
im right under 6'1 current weight 250lbs (football player) i currently ride a 2013 jamis nova race 58 with 90mm ritchey stem on ritchey evomax bars are there any riders close height weight if so what size did you go with.
I am 6 foot, 230 lbs, and I went with a 56.
It's somewhat unusual for a size 58 bike to come with a 90mm stem. Did your bike come with it, or were you too stretched on what it came with and ended up getting a shorter stem? That would be a strong hint to go to a 56.
If you aren't sure between 56 and 58, I'd go with a 56, so you can always just get a 100mm or 110mm stem to dial in the fit and have slightly more stable handling. But if you get a 58, you will probably have to swap the 110mm stem for a 90mm, but then if you are still too stretched, then going to an even shorter stem will result in more twitchy handling.
Also, keep in mind that 56 comes with 172.5mm cranks and 44mm wide bar, while 58 comes with 175mm cranks and 46mm bar. I prefer 172.5 for less chance of pedal strike and easier spinning, and even 44mm bar was way too wide, so I swapped it to a 42mm (40mm at the hoods) 3T Ergonova, but you might have different body type and preferences. I would recommend test riding both if you have a chance.
Old 12-22-18, 08:02 AM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
yea right now i has 175 cranks 90 stem but after looking at top tube length based on what i have now the 56 sounds like the better option for sure
I am 6 foot, 230 lbs, and I went with a 56.
It's somewhat unusual for a size 58 bike to come with a 90mm stem. Did your bike come with it, or were you too stretched on what it came with and ended up getting a shorter stem? That would be a strong hint to go to a 56.
If you aren't sure between 56 and 58, I'd go with a 56, so you can always just get a 100mm or 110mm stem to dial in the fit and have slightly more stable handling. But if you get a 58, you will probably have to swap the 110mm stem for a 90mm, but then if you are still too stretched, then going to an even shorter stem will result in more twitchy handling.
Also, keep in mind that 56 comes with 172.5mm cranks and 44mm wide bar, while 58 comes with 175mm cranks and 46mm bar. I prefer 172.5 for less chance of pedal strike and easier spinning, and even 44mm bar was way too wide, so I swapped it to a 42mm (40mm at the hoods) 3T Ergonova, but you might have different body type and preferences. I would recommend test riding both if you have a chance.
Old 12-22-18, 09:18 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Got an 11-40 XT cassette on it and some accessories on it, and took it for a nice long hilly ride today.
Did you replace the rear derailleur or used Wolf Tooth RoadLink or 11-40 cassette worked with the stock derailleur on Escapade without any changes?
Old 12-23-18, 12:23 AM
bigredgrad01

Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Did you replace the rear derailleur or used Wolf Tooth RoadLink or 11-40 cassette worked with the stock derailleur on Escapade without any changes?
Shimano XT 11-40 cassette works with the stock shadow Ultegra RD8000 GS with just the B-screw adjustment. No need for RoadLink like you would need for 6800. Just needed a new chain, since stock one was trimmed too short for this. Incidentally, the full 116 link chain length was perfect so that RD is not overstretched in big-big and still tensioned in small-small with the 50-34 upfront. Note this means 45T difference between 50F40R and 34F11R, which is above 39T capacity that Shimano specs, but it works fine.
Shifting is fine after adjustment, but of course, it's not going to be as smooth as 11-32 with the bigger gear jumps, especially between the smaller cogs. Also, chain slap was not an issue even on singletrack, I do have the chainstay wrapped with a cut inner tube just in case. The only minor issue is that because the 11-40 cassette is pretty heavy, If you are going fast and spinning in a tall gear (50x11 or 50x13) and stop spinning suddenly, or try to spin back, you feel the inertia of cassette compress the RD spring and then a slight yank on the chain after about a second as it decompresses. But other than that it works as expected. I haven't decided if it bothers me enough to get the Ultegra RX clutch derailleur. I might if I see some killer deal on it, but it's not a huge issue.
Old 12-28-18, 02:26 AM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano XT 11-40 cassette works with the stock shadow Ultegra RD8000 GS with just the B-screw adjustment. No need for RoadLink like you would need for 6800. Just needed a new chain, since stock one was trimmed too short for this. Incidentally, the full 116 link chain length was perfect so that RD is not overstretched in big-big and still tensioned in small-small with the 50-34 upfront. Note this means 45T difference between 50F40R and 34F11R, which is above 39T capacity that Shimano specs, but it works fine.
Shifting is fine after adjustment, but of course, it's not going to be as smooth as 11-32 with the bigger gear jumps, especially between the smaller cogs. Also, chain slap was not an issue even on singletrack, I do have the chainstay wrapped with a cut inner tube just in case. The only minor issue is that because the 11-40 cassette is pretty heavy, If you are going fast and spinning in a tall gear (50x11 or 50x13) and stop spinning suddenly, or try to spin back, you feel the inertia of cassette compress the RD spring and then a slight yank on the chain after about a second as it decompresses. But other than that it works as expected. I haven't decided if it bothers me enough to get the Ultegra RX clutch derailleur. I might if I see some killer deal on it, but it's not a huge issue.
If you're gonna switch out the RD and have 11-40, might as well get an 11 speed XT RD and Wolftooth Components Tanpan instead of the RX.
Old 12-28-18, 04:55 PM
bigredgrad01

Originally Posted by Danny01
If you're gonna switch out the RD and have 11-40, might as well get an 11 speed XT RD and Wolftooth Components Tanpan instead of the RX.
I got the Ultegra RX on there today, and it's perfect, resolved my one outstanding issue with 11-40, which was cassette inertia chain bounce when stopping pedaling. I also dialed in the B-screw a little bit and took off 2 links of chain to tension it in small small, there is still a little bit of slack in big-big. I am fairly sure you can do 11-42 as well with uncut chain, based on how much adjustment is still available on B-screw, but I haven't tried it myself, since 11-40 meets my needs. I would probably go to subcompact double before going any bigger on the cassette. XT RD + Tanpan seems like a fine set up, but ultimately you are introducing an extra adapter and I think Ultegra RX obsoletes it for new builds with road brifters, unless you want to go 1x with bigger than 42 teeth in the back, or already have an DynaSys11 RD sitting around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.