Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Half your body weight

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Half your body weight

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-15, 07:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
So bumping my load up to the half body weight criterion would simply mean I was taking far more stuff than I needed.
Remember that my half-your-body-weight suggestion is a maximum. I wouldn't suggest bumping up to that number at all.

But if you're carrying more than half your body weight, and if you feel like you're struggling to get up hills and/or manage everything, you might, perhaps, consider reducing the amount you're carrying to half your body weight or lower. However, if you're carrying more than half your body weight and you're managing just fine ... great!
Old 11-25-15, 08:23 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Remember that my half-your-body-weight suggestion is a maximum. I wouldn't suggest bumping up to that number at all.

But if you're carrying more than half your body weight, and if you feel like you're struggling to get up hills and/or manage everything, you might, perhaps, consider reducing the amount you're carrying to half your body weight or lower. However, if you're carrying more than half your body weight and you're managing just fine ... great!
Maybe I'm not making my point very clearly.

Essentially I'm saying that the suggestion doesn't really work because these things aren't linear. The big rider will not generally have the watts/kg of the smaller rider. So half body weight might work for the 150lb rider but will be impractical for the 250lb rider, however strong. And at the other end of the scale, it might be tough for a 100lb rider to keep the total load below 50lbs unless they're going ultralight - which, as we know, is unpopular.

People of different sizes need similar amounts of gear, and the difference in the weights of their bikes is marginal. Hence I'm saying that the half body weight recommendation is likely to be relevant only for middle-sized riders, and needs modifying if it's to be of general application.

But don't imagine I'm taking this too seriously. Half an hour to kill, that's all.
Old 11-25-15, 08:43 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Chasm, chuckle, exactly, not taking it too seriously is the best way, people do get riled up about details here sometimes.

But yes, I understand your point about that it is probably more applicable in real life to middling people weight wise.
As I've said in the past, I just found it neat that when I saw this rough rule of thumb, it really did apply to what I had figured out on my own nearly 25 years ago, ie with X lbs it was just a bit too hard all the time, brought my load weight down (and proper gearing) and it was just more enjoyable.
As you say, you get into power per kg thing, but I certainly recall meeting some guys who were fine touring with 60, 70 of 80 lbs of stuff and I could never imagine pushing that up hills. Mind you some of them had legs twice as thick as mine, so yes, lots of factors.

I still think it's a good rule of thumb to suggest to beginners:

Bike+load= no more than half your body weight.... But that they try it out and see how it goes.
Old 11-25-15, 08:47 AM
Jim Kukula

Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
needs modifying
Since I love hacking formulas... maybe something like:

total weight of load in pounds < 0.5 * square root ( 150 * rider weight in pounds)
Old 11-25-15, 09:04 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Kukula
Since I love hacking formulas... maybe something like:

total weight of load in pounds < 0.5 * square root ( 150 * rider weight in pounds)
LOL! Works pretty well!

I'd add an upper limit, though. We don't want some unsuspecting 400lb tourist to be misled into toting 120lbs up some Alp or other...
Old 11-25-15, 11:17 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Not sure about this. I agree it feels different, weight on the bike changes its handling and gives one a sense of hauling a load in a way that being fat does not. However, if in losing weight one retains one's power - which may be quite a big if - I think the physics of it would be the same. 20 pounds off my fat carcass would have as big an impact as shedding 20lbs of luggage, assuming the wind resistance of the panniers remained constant. And, of course, losing the weight off myself would mean I retained the advantage even when riding unloaded. Now that's an attractive prospect.
Weight on bike more effort to control vs on body 'cause of worse leverage I'd guess? OTOH heavier legs (rotating weight) require extra effort esp @ high cadence. With lower body fat the legs spin faster/smoother which helps even on flat roads. Dieting is tougher than cycling though. You're hungry all day vs just hurting over the big hills. Pro athletes (even in NFL) regularly struggle to cut body-fat.
Old 11-26-15, 12:06 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Especially since ultra-light stuff tends to be ultra-expensive.
Look around some more at UL equipment, you might be surprised.
Old 11-26-15, 04:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Look around some more at UL equipment, you might be surprised.
Things do not come inexpensively in Australia.
Old 11-26-15, 05:23 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
And since it costs nothing to eat less and be more active
That isn't objectively true, and it is even less true if a person is already doing something like long distance touring and still can't get their weight under control.

On the objective basis, reducing what one eats if it is already unhealthy food (as is generally the case with obesity, and even most "sensible" diets), leads to nutritional starvation, which just tweaks the desire to eat more. Healthy food generally is more expensive than unhealthy food, that is part of the reason that obesity is more of a problem in the underclass. McDonalds, which is getting slaughtered with competition from perceived healthy brands, like Sweetgreens, has just implemented the nuclear option of further lowering it's prices. Since the corn economy was implemented during the Nixon admin, the amount of time americans work to feed themselves has plummeted, while calories consumed have soared.

Of course healthy food can be extremely cheap if you juice your lawn, grow your own vegetables, or raise your own tofu. But the same is in the roots of ultralite gear, home sewn, and kits are still for sale today.

The majority of ways of saving gear weight are actually cheaper in several categories: 1) just not having some stuff, not buying it (or not bringing it); 2) Buying lighter stuff, so this may not actually be cheaper because of supply issues, but lighter materials or products are in most cases cheaper. Light nylon costs less than cordura, cordura costs less than ballistic, and waterproof heavy vinyls are often the most expensive. Bags made of silnylon are cheaper and lighter than waterproof bags used in boats and still airtight. Bag covers or liners are cheaper and lighter than Otliebs. Less pockets/dividers/zippers cost and weigh less than more pockets and dividers or zippers. Ponchos and leggings are cheaper (particularly when they were more popular) and lighter than technical jackets and pants.

One reason why we have Otliebs is because cordura packs don't seal from water well, particularly if they are penetrated with many zippers and pockets. But lighter pack cloths, are quite waterproof, and if delivered in roller type constructions would satisfy most wet uses. But fashion moved in the direction of very heavy panniers, and they ended up not being water proof, so we moved to even heavier fabrics that were able to sell the simpler designs. Designs that if we had just stuck with in lighter fabrics, none of this would have been necessary.

The only stupid expensive stuff is stuff like carbon frames, and the weight savings of maybe a pound or so, (touring or MTB weight carbon parts are not as light as racing parts) is not worth the expense and other limitations.

Of course one does have to eat anew every day, but one normally can go without buying new touring gear, so on that basis your point is well taken, but as far as necessary purchases are concerned cost of lightweight is not a major issue.

Last edited by MassiveD; 11-26-15 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-26-15, 06:17 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD
That isn't objectively true, and it is even less true if a person is already doing something like long distance touring and still can't get their weight under control.

On the objective basis, reducing what one eats if it is already unhealthy food (as is generally the case with obesity, and even most "sensible" diets), leads to nutritional starvation, which just tweaks the desire to eat more. Healthy food generally is more expensive than unhealthy food, that is part of the reason that obesity is more of a problem in the underclass. McDonalds, which is getting slaughtered with competition from perceived healthy brands, like Sweetgreens, has just implemented the nuclear option of further lowering it's prices. Since the corn economy was implemented during the Nixon admin, the amount of time americans work to feed themselves has plummeted, while calories consumed have soared.

Of course healthy food can be extremely cheap if you juice your lawn, grow your own vegetables, or raise your own tofu. But the same is in the roots of ultralite gear, home sewn, and kits are still for sale today.
Cost of healthier food is actually one of the lesser factors in people (esp lower-income) eating junk food. Local availability/motivation/knowledge/time AFAIK the bigger problems. Stuff like home-made beans/lentils/rice/cabbage/carrots etc is pretty cheap & nutritious. Lentils & rice also a great staple for tourists who cook. Dry weight is low & cooking time is moderate.