Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What about this bike for a Clyde?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 11:00 PM
P4D 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm big, 6'4', 240lbs. The bike is the right size, and fits me. Is this a good bike to consider? It's entirely original save for new cables and a Campy CF Centaur RD in place of the stock Veloce.

https://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...ires&Type=bike

Old 11-18-09, 11:02 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Nice bike.
Most of us big guys need 36 spoke wheels.

Old 11-18-09, 11:23 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Wheels with more spokes. Otherwise, yes, it's a good bike.

Old 11-18-09, 11:25 PM
P4D 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, what would be a comparable wheelset with a better spoke count? I don't have a clue...

BTW-thanks!
Old 11-19-09, 09:29 AM
gus69

Bikes: only 8 or 9 at present.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alexw
So, what would be a comparable wheelset with a better spoke count? I don't have a clue...

BTW-thanks!
Campagnolo Centaur hubs, DT Swiss Champion spokes and Mavic CXP33 rims, and get them build buy someone who can build wheels.

or these : https://www.everybicycletire.com/Shop...elset-622.aspx

Last edited by gus69; 11-19-09 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-19-09, 10:20 AM
fc_
phredite

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Soma Groove

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Nice bike.
Most of us big guys need 36 spoke wheels.
Make that most SANE people use 32-36 spoke wheels. 32 on a standard 26" mtb rim is usually ok, but as with everything, ymmv. A quality wheel build goes a long way in avoiding problems down the road, no matter how many spokes are involved.
Old 11-19-09, 02:05 PM
d4c4c8
Mike the Bike

Bikes: Giant OCR C3/Gary Fisher Tasjahara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fc_
Make that most SANE people use 32-36 spoke wheels. 32 on a standard 26" mtb rim is usually ok, but as with everything, ymmv. A quality wheel build goes a long way in avoiding problems down the road, no matter how many spokes are involved.
<< is apparently not sane. I've not had any problems with 20/24 spoke wheels. Keep em true and tensioned and they are fine. I'm in the 250's weight wise.
Old 11-19-09, 02:12 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by d4c4c8
<< is apparently not sane. I've not had any problems with 20/24 spoke wheels. Keep em true and tensioned and they are fine. I'm in the 250's weight wise.
Ditto. I'm right at 290 and ride all kinds of wheels. My Marin road bike has Torelli carbon wheels. I've never trued them. My Aksiums have likewise never caused a problem or been trued. Some people believe you need more spokes, others don't. Me, I think wheels are stronger than people believe them to be.

Wait.....

Are those Bontrager wheels?
If so, throw them at the nearest dumpster. They crack at the nipple holes with 140 pound riders, so I can't imagine what a clyde could do to them. Get some good wheels, whether they 32 spokes or 24. Easton, Mavic, Reynolds, Origin-8, or pretty much anything is better than Bontrager wheels.

Last edited by PlatyPius; 11-19-09 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-19-09, 02:18 PM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Great bike! Two things-if this bike is used, look very carefully where the spokes go into the rim for tiny cracks. We had a lot of problems with these wheels, but Trek replaced them all under warranty. However, if the bike is used, there is no warranty, so check those spokes. If all's well, they should be fine. Although I build wheels for a living, these wheels will likely be fine if you are a skilled and careful rider. I have several big guys on these and they've reported no problems. I would not recommend the cheap Velocity wheels in the link.
Old 11-19-09, 04:00 PM
d4c4c8
Mike the Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for wheels... I'm really happy with my Fulcrum Racing 7's and 3 of the 4 bikes in my short list for the next ride come with them so if Colnago, Look & Pinnarello all are using them as OEM wheels
Old 11-19-09, 06:05 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gus69
Campagnolo Centaur hubs, DT Swiss Champion spokes and Mavic CXP33 rims, and get them build buy someone who can build wheels.

or these : https://www.everybicycletire.com/Shop...elset-622.aspx
+1.

Although there are many many rims that can be used successfully, the CXP33 are highly reccomended by many people on this site (and in this forum in particular).

Sell those Bontrager wheels to some 110 lb chump.
Old 11-19-09, 06:31 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As for wheels... I'm really happy with my Fulcrum Racing 7's and 3 of the 4 bikes in my short list for the next ride come with them so if Colnago, Look & Pinnarello all are using them as OEM wheels
I love my Fulcrums as well.

And D4C4C8 is a pretty nice colour, too.
Old 11-20-09, 10:18 AM
markm109

Bikes: '03 Litespeed Blue Ridge; '15 Litespeed T5; '17 Jamis Renegade Exploit; '17 Salsa Fargo 27.5+

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using Mavic CXP33 wheels for years. I'm 250lbs. Had them on an older Lemond Alpe D'Huez and put news ones a Lightspeed Solano I picked up a few years ago. I've had no problems with them.
Old 11-20-09, 11:08 AM
Bosock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike...great bike to consider...specially if it fits well...good riding
Old 11-20-09, 11:53 AM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The issue I see with low spoke wheels is that losing a spoke can mean a wheel really out of true, right? That seems like a big price to pay for a very small amount of weight and aerodynamics savings. For routine riding it doesn't seem worth the maintenance hassle or risk. I busted a spoke a while back on my (overkill) 36 spoke 20" front wheel and didn't even notice until I looked the bike over the next day.
Old 11-20-09, 12:25 PM
old and new

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com click here for a clue. No reason to believe that they're not a good choice. They offer some of the afformentioned wheels as well as presumeably stronger types. Mavic has a rim called the Sport Classic, it's a low-profile "box rim" which replaces the old CP3. Open Pros are a semi-V type, a not semi-deep aero, non-low profile. CPXs are good by all accounts. Open Sprort rims themselves are half the price. This results in a complete wheel set costing UNDER $300 rather than closer to 4. Some believe that box style rims are laterally stronger wile offering a marginally, perhaps undetectibly more compliant ride. Pro-Racers in the Classics over cobbles agreed, just like they agreed with 36sp. count. 32 spoke count rims can be considered for sure. If you're having the built from scratch though, 36 is the way for a heavy-weight. Benefits of lighter wheels aren't realized by heavier guys.
Some LBSs have their own wheel builders, on sight or not. Colorado Cyclist, Excell Sports are among the best out there. There are others as well. Swiss DT Hubs, butted spokes, Campy or Phil hubs..all will pack-on the cost, not needed. Ultegra with 14g or a mix of 14/15 should suit, I prefer the former @ 220 to 240.
Old 11-20-09, 12:27 PM
old and new

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NICE BIKE !!!!! Hope that it's bigger than the one depicted !
Old 11-20-09, 12:46 PM
d4c4c8
Mike the Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cod.peace
The issue I see with low spoke wheels is that losing a spoke can mean a wheel really out of true, right? That seems like a big price to pay for a very small amount of weight and aerodynamics savings. For routine riding it doesn't seem worth the maintenance hassle or risk. I busted a spoke a while back on my (overkill) 36 spoke 20" front wheel and didn't even notice until I looked the bike over the next day.
I, and (i think the other low spoke count advocates) aren't harping on the weight savings issue... I just don't feel that going hunting for high spoke count wheels really buy's you anything. A high end wheel with 20-24 spokes will be more durable than a cheap 36 spoke wheel. I put 75,000+ miles on a set of 28 spoke wheels on my previous bike, yes, they were built with CXP22 rims around Phil Wood mountain hubs, but i did cyclocross, loaded touring, commuting and even on numerous occasions took it on mtn bike rides in the north west. I broke a spoke after 3,000 miles on my current bike's Xero (Giant house brand 24 spoke rear) after taking a huge hit. I didn't notice it until i got back to the car and was putting the bike on the rack.
Old 11-20-09, 06:36 PM
P4D 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by old and new
That was a sticking point for me, acutally. Its a 59CM, and so while not exactly undersized for me with a standover inseam of 34.5", not perfect, either. Seller is asking $900 and is committed to getting it, which as it turns out is more than I am going to be able to spend. Tack on a new wheelset (even if I sell this set), and the bike is out of range, pricewise. It's a bummer because the original price suggested was much, much less.
Old 11-20-09, 09:00 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If you are considering spending anywhere near $900 for a bike it damn well better be a PERFECT fit, not just "not exactly undersized." Having an ill fitting bike will slow you down and diminish your riding fun more than having to settle for a new entry level bike that fits!
Old 11-20-09, 09:14 PM
bretgross

Bikes: Zinn road bike, Rockhopper MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old and new
I was thinking the same thing!
I realize that the photo was probably a 'stock' one, depicting a bike sized for... you know, shorter people.