Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for a GREAT training guide

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-04, 11:03 AM
danielmolloy
Me Likey Bikey

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, Surly Steamroller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've decided to pursue cycling much more seriously and I am looking for a great training guide (book, whatever) to help me along. I want to start riding 5 days and 250 miles a week, but I don't want to just put in the miles, I want to train correctly so that I become a better cyclist all around. I would like to start racing at the beginning of next season if that's realistic. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-04, 12:40 PM
sailor
beauty in the breakdown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing Ill say--dont try to increase your mileage by more than 10% per week. You'll end up overtraining, which will just put you further behind.

Check https://www.cptips.com/ for some good training tips.
Old 09-26-04, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
There's a couple of great starter books to recommend by Sally Edwards (and Sally Reed for the second book).

The first book is the basics, and it breaks down heart rate training very well. It's called "The Heart Rate Monitor Book", by Sally Edwards. I recommend starting with this book.

The second book is by Sally Edwards and Sally Reed called "The Heart Rate Monitor Book for Outdoor and Indoor Cyclists". It actually talks about how to structure your training using your monitor, then puts together 50 rides you can do. So you read about how to put together the training program, then use the different rides to complete each branch of the training program. As you progress, the rides become more difficult.

You could always get Joe Friel's "Cyclists Training Bible" as a good, third book to round out your reading education. With these three books, you should have a pretty solid foundation to build up a training program.

Koffee