Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Williams vs Boyd vs November

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 07:33 PM
Compsci523

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm in the market for some new wheels, finally got my s2. I was looking around and found these three that have 58mm deep carbon wheels and the prices are very competitive. The thing that is pushing me towards November is the fact that you can get Chris King r45 hubs on them, but it pushes the price towards the 1300$ region. Anyone ride these wheels? Differences between brands?
Old 01-31-12, 07:41 PM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aren't all these carbon rims made by Gigantex????
Old 01-31-12, 07:58 PM
ruskko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would go with november.i believe the company that makes their frames makes the wheels also
Old 01-31-12, 08:02 PM
Compsci523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruskko
i would go with november.i believe the company that makes their frames makes the wheels also
Do you think the Chris King hubs would be a worthy upgrade or just go stock?
Old 01-31-12, 08:05 PM
ruskko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would stay stock u wont really notice a differnce other then a few grams save the 400 w.e dollars
Old 01-31-12, 08:11 PM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
or you could get the same frame from alibaba for half the price minus the sticker...
Old 01-31-12, 08:13 PM
ruskko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he wants wheels not frames
Old 01-31-12, 08:14 PM
Compsci523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rdubbz
or you could get the same frame from alibaba for half the price minus the sticker...
Are those prices for real? No way can you get zipp 404's for 800$ :S.
Old 01-31-12, 08:15 PM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry, drinking scotch and watching hockey usually screws my reading comprehension... ok, i don't know about boyds wheels, but november uses that chinese wheels...

Last edited by rdubbz; 01-31-12 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-31-12, 08:16 PM
Compsci523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruskko
i would stay stock u wont really notice a differnce other then a few grams save the 400 w.e dollars
I am a fan of the loud free hub noise from the CK. Do you know how loud the hubs are on the Novembers? Searched up some novatec hubs, not sure which ones they are.
Old 01-31-12, 08:16 PM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Compsci523
Are those prices for real? No way can you get zipp 404's for 800$ :S.
i don't know about those..
Old 01-31-12, 08:22 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Last I heard, all 3 used the same rims?
I wouldn't have any problem buying from either.
All are about the same except for strategic pricing options.
It's just a matter of options, stock and product availability.
They use rims from a Taiwanese supplier.

Last edited by 2ndGen; 01-31-12 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-31-12, 08:39 PM
coachboyd
Boyd Cycling owner

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
There is a LOT of misinformation in this thread. Without throwing any bias to any company listed here (I'll let you guys talk about your recommendations) let me assure you that

None of us are using rims made in China
None of us are using Gigantex rims
The frame that you saw on Alibaba is NOT the same one that they offer in their lineup. If you go to November's page and read their blog called "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves" it explains the practices that happen in China and why the stuff you see on Alibaba can be sold for so cheap. It's a great blog post.
Old 01-31-12, 08:49 PM
Compsci523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coachboyd
There is a LOT of misinformation in this thread. Without throwing any bias to any company listed here (I'll let you guys talk about your recommendations) let me assure you that

The frame that you saw on Alibaba is NOT the same one that they offer in their lineup. If you go to November's page and read their blog called "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves" it explains the practices that happen in China and why the stuff you see on Alibaba can be sold for so cheap. It's a great blog post.

Very cool thanks. One things I liked about all these is that they're hand made in the states. Hopefully I can get some more info haha.
Old 01-31-12, 08:55 PM
coachboyd
Boyd Cycling owner

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Not all of those your choices are hand built in the States, however they all are handbuilt and will be very good quality.
Old 01-31-12, 09:17 PM
Steve90068

Bikes: Road - Lynskey. Mountain - Trek Fuel EX

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coachboyd

All great wheels and all great companies. You really cant go wrong. November is cheaper, Boyd uses CX-Rays and Williams has ceramic bearings (if you're into that sort of thing). So they all have one unique advantage over the other.

I would however like to point out how awesome Boyd's input is on the forums. Not many people would stand up for a competitor like that
Old 01-31-12, 09:24 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by rdubbz
VERY incorrect.

Old 01-31-12, 09:30 PM
Compsci523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve90068
All great wheels and all great companies. You really cant go wrong. November is cheaper, Boyd uses CX-Rays and Williams has ceramic bearings (if you're into that sort of thing). So they all have one unique advantage over the other.

I would however like to point out how awesome Boyd's input is on the forums. Not many people would stand up for a competitor like that
Hmm I might give Boyd a shot, I have been reading more about Williams and November. Just want a nice carbon wheel that won't break. I plan to use it quite often .
Old 01-31-12, 09:32 PM
ruskko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fyi november has a rim replacement deal if u break the wheel 250 bucks to fix it no questions asked
Old 01-31-12, 09:48 PM
Steve90068

Bikes: Road - Lynskey. Mountain - Trek Fuel EX

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Compsci523
Hmm I might give Boyd a shot, I have been reading more about Williams and November. Just want a nice carbon wheel that won't break. I plan to use it quite often .
good news, none of them will break from normal use
Old 01-31-12, 09:52 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve90068

Once one has added up all the options and priced them out,
they are within $50. of each other price-wise with similar builds.
It then comes down to availability and customer service.
Personally, I want my wheelset built here.
That's a big + in my book.

Old 02-01-12, 08:53 AM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I used to own a set of Boyd 50mm tubulars. They are Taiwanese rims, Bitex Taiwanese hubs and CX Ray spokes. They are strung up tight and were pretty nice. Boyd/Nicole and their customer service is excellent. You can't go wrong.
Old 02-01-12, 09:16 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to touch on the "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" blog. I order a lot of things from china that are indeed knockoffs, as well as from the "original" supplier of said product. Most gizmos and gadgets as we know it are manufactured over there because of pricing etc. bla bla bla. (The market will slowly return to U.S. manufacturing as Chinas prices continue to rise...different story) Just from understanding the background of November (and Im not knocking them because I like their stuff) but I'd be sure they didn't invest the money to have their own molds made, laid with carbon in some particular pattern of sorts that would be different from the ones alibaba lists. It seems like the blog is curtailed to sway buyers from buying the same frame for less rather than from them. The rolex reference is moot considering that November isn't a huge brand that is known for groundbreaking frames that have been winning races for years. Rolex is knocked off because it has clout that didn't come overnight.
Now when it comes to the pinarello knockoffs I'd understand the quality not being the same even if the design looks identical. Carbon types and layups matter and pinarello surely pays more for quality but can't stop the same company from building the frame with cheaper materials for less.
The point is, I doubt you're getting a higher quality carbon or design from any of these vs. the chinese/taiwanese/indonesian brands. It seems to me the differences are in the hubs and spokes.
then again....I could be way off...
Old 02-01-12, 09:41 AM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
The point is, I doubt you're getting a higher quality carbon or design from any of these vs. the chinese/taiwanese/indonesian brands. It seems to me the differences are in the hubs and spokes.
then again....I could be way off...
Even if you assume it's the same product anyone can order from a catalog, I think there's one piece of this you're missing. You can buy that November Wheelhouse frameset for $845. That's what, $200-$300 more than the direct purchase from China through the catalog? I'm willing to pay that premium for the piece of mind that someone at November did some QC, will respond to my warranty claim, and will answer the phone if I have a question. If my fork catastrophically fails, November's insurance will cover my medical bills. That's nice.

Nonetheless, I think your post is a good one. After Boyd's post, I read the November blog. Lots of good stuff in there. This is an interesting topic that invariably deteriorates to name calling and stupidity on this forum. It would be great to get the opinion of the November guys as well as Boyd.
Old 02-01-12, 09:58 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Even if you assume it's the same product anyone can order from a catalog, I think there's one piece of this you're missing. You can buy that November Wheelhouse frameset for $845. That's what, $200-$300 more than the direct purchase from China through the catalog? I'm willing to pay that premium for the piece of mind that someone at November did some QC, will respond to my warranty claim, and will answer the phone if I have a question. If my fork catastrophically fails, November's insurance will cover my medical bills. That's nice.

Nonetheless, I think your post is a good one. After Boyd's post, I read the November blog. Lots of good stuff in there. This is an interesting topic that invariably deteriorates to name calling and stupidity on this forum. It would be great to get the opinion of the November guys as well as Boyd.
If your fork catastrophically fails they will find a way to put the blame on something else. I tried to find an instance where somebody sued a bike manufacturer over a crash of sorts...I didn't look super hard but I couldn't find anything right off the bat. Heres something else to consider. From what I've read, they do group orders that all go in together to save the money on freight and of course get a discount based on quantity ordered. It's by all means the smart way of doing it but it tells me they don't keep a lot of inventory (I'm speaking of November here because I have not read much on boyd or williams on this) which means if something fails then you are stuck waiting on your replacement wheels until the next order goes in unless they happen to have an extra set of your exact wheels laying around. I think the idea of buying two sets for the price of their one makes more sense to me or doing a group buy on your own. I have first hand experience dealing with manufacturers in china and taiwan and the hours might be difficult and the language barrier can be entertaining and frustrating but if you take the time to do research you too can get a decent set of wheels for a good price.
from Novembers site:
Frames and forks are warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 2 years from date of purchase.
Alloy rims are warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 2 years from date of purchase.
Carbon rims are warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 2 years from date of purchase.
Hubs are warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 1 year from date of purchase.
All other components are covered by their manufacturer's warranty.

I don't see where they state they will cover your medical bills in the event of a catastrophic failure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.