Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rain/ Back up bike opinion

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 07:40 AM
Doin Work son

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys! Tax season is wonderful, especially since my birthday is coming up soon. In light of this, my wife gave me our tax return for my birthday (well, it should be here soon). I wanted to allot 12 to 1300 on a new bike for rain and back up, but hopefully get out cheaper than that. My question is: Should I buy a cheap full bike, or buy a frame set and build the bike up as a project? i would probably buy nicer parts and put them on my primary bike, giving the backup the "hand-me-downs." This may be pricier, but would serve two purposes. For those of you with backups thought, realistically, how often do you ride them? Would building a second bike as opposed to buy really push me way over my 12 to 1300 dollar limit?
Old 02-02-12, 07:50 AM
Sir Real
Señor Member

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M1 (Rival)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you currently have and what are the "hand-me-downs"?
Old 02-02-12, 08:13 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
I ride my back up bike all winter, primary bike stays on the trainer. For rain bikes I generally buy a new bike and use my current bike as the back up.
Old 02-02-12, 08:23 AM
richard4993

Bikes: '80 Trek 710, '81 Trek 613, '82 Trek 613, '86 Trek 500, '87 Bridgestone MB2, '87 Specialized Rockhopper, '87 Schwinn Circuit, '88 Miyata 712, '89 Trek 400, '97 Trek 6000, '11 Trek Utopia, '13 Specialized Allez Race, '15 All City Macho Man

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to buy a new bike check out the new Trek models, I love the looks of those things. If not for the great deal I got for my specialized I would have bought a 1.2 or 1.5.
Old 02-02-12, 08:36 AM
Doin Work son

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I have a specialized tarmac expert right now with mostly stock parts except some zipp 404's. So, I would be using "hand-me-down" specialized parts.
Old 02-02-12, 10:20 AM
big_heineken
Just keep pedalling!

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1987 Panasonic DX-4000, 1984 Peugeot PSV10, 1989 Centurion Prestige, 1973 Raleigh Sprite, 1987 Peugeot Canyon Express, ~1986 Raleigh Capri, 1994 Trek 850, 1984 Centurion Pro Tour 15, 2012 Gravity Zilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you already have a nice road bike, why not look for something different? Something like a touring bike or cyclocross bike. Nashbar's steel touring bike is a pretty good deal: https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_10000_202613. Or if you stretch it a little further, you could get a titanium cyclocross bike from Bikes Direct: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._pro_ti_xi.htm. I am not affiliated with either company, they are just bikes that I would buy if I had the money.
Old 02-02-12, 10:25 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think I would buy a touring bike or a cross bike for a rain bike, if your intention is to do some road training on it, but I would look for something that could easily take full fenders.

My Soma Smoothie is a perfect rain bike. Since you have take off parts to put on, perhaps look for something like that.
Old 02-02-12, 10:28 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Doin Work son
For those of you with backups thought, realistically, how often do you ride them?
This may be atypical because there are times I ride my rain/backup bike when it is neither raining nor is my primary bike indisposed...so I probably ride more individual days on the backup, yet almost always shorter rides...but fwiw I seem to ride my backup bike about one-third of my total annual miles.
Old 02-02-12, 10:32 AM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would avoid steel for a rain bike. not sure what you budget is but titanium or carbon fiber would be a better option. bd has those ti bike with rival that don't cost too much...
Old 02-02-12, 10:40 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Unless you need to expand your stable's functionality, I'd get a similar/identical bike, or at least frame and shifting/fit stuff. So shifters, bar, stem, saddle, pedals, cranks (for q factor).

I'd much rather have two bikes where I can hop off of one and onto the other without having to make any mental or physical adjustments. Although one of my frames is being modified (to match my current frame), they both have virtually identical parts - shifters, derailleurs, cranks, seat post, seat. I have three sets of wheels for the two bikes. The only difference are the brakes, but they work so similarly that I haven't bothered changing them.

One difference - I'm experimenting with a new bar and therefore a necessary new stem. If I like it I'll buy another bar/stem for the other bike, otherwise I'll revert to the original setup.

I already have a beat up mountain bike (for salt/sand etc), track bike (for racing), and a tandem, so I don't need any more functionality in my stable.
Old 02-02-12, 10:42 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rdubbz
I would avoid steel for a rain bike. not sure what you budget is but titanium or carbon fiber would be a better option. bd has those ti bike with rival that don't cost too much...
Steel is okay if you treat it and don't let the paint get all scratched up. Rust is really a non issue then. Certainly not enough to buy carbon or ti!
Old 02-02-12, 10:43 AM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two bikes, both carbon and intended to use the crummy giant as a winter backup bike, but still use the more expensive bike because it is just a much nicer ride. The "secondary" bike gets used on the trainer once in awhile and I keep it in case I have to leave my "primary" bike at an lbs for maintenance. I don't know what my excuse will be when I buy a third bike.
Old 02-02-12, 10:50 AM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
Steel is okay if you treat it and don't let the paint get all scratched up. Rust is really a non issue then. Certainly not enough to buy carbon or ti!
I have a steel commuter bike (salsa la cruz) and tend to agree with you. I used frame saver on it and ride in the rain without any rust, but if i had a choice i would go Ti.
Old 02-02-12, 11:56 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Well, I have a specialized tarmac expert right now with mostly stock parts except some zipp 404's. So, I would be using "hand-me-down" specialized parts.
This is an easy one then. Get a Specialized Allez Comp E5 frameset and transfer the parts off the Tarmac. The frame dimensions are about identical, and the Allez Comp E5 is one of the better aluminum frames available. You might be able to get a good deal on a 2011 leftover. When I bought mine new last March, it was $500 plus tax. I transferred the parts over from my CAAD9 and really like the way it turned out.

I've put fenders on it and use it as my bad weather bike, but I'm also using it for my first major event this year, Rouge-Roubaix. (The fenders will come off prior to the ride. ) My "main" bike is a Look 585, and I don't want to risk messing up that frame on the gravel...and with 32 spoke wheels and bigger tires, the ride's pretty nice on the Allez.

Demain, on roule!
Old 02-02-12, 01:08 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd agree with revchuck on this one. It is a great deal for the Allez E5. I bought a used Sworks E5 (basically lighter than the Allez) and got parts for it last year. I went budget parts since I was keeping the nice parts on my primary bike where you'd go for nice new parts and then trickle down.

I made the mistake ATMO of doing what carpediem said and then had 2 bikes with identical geometry that rode very similarly. I ended up just riding the E5 all the time and leaving the Tarmac unridden. To get a little variety in my life, I'm selling the Tarmac and going with Ti w/ a slightly different geometry.
Old 02-02-12, 01:22 PM
Mr. Cranky
No, not really.

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, ~2006 Specialized Sequoia, 1999 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a backup/rain bike to help keep my "nice" bike clean. Now I do probably 75% of my riding on the "backup" bike. Of course the rain around here has a lot to do with that. It's been one of the best investments I've ever made.
Old 02-02-12, 02:30 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Richard,

I've seen your 2011 Allez at my local LBS and it is a bad ass lookin' bike. love the black and yellow.

Originally Posted by richard4993
If you want to buy a new bike check out the new Trek models, I love the looks of those things. If not for the great deal I got for my specialized I would have bought a 1.2 or 1.5.
Old 02-02-12, 03:29 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Hey guys! Tax season is wonderful, especially since my birthday is coming up soon. In light of this, my wife gave me our tax return for my birthday (well, it should be here soon). I wanted to allot 12 to 1300 on a new bike for rain and back up, but hopefully get out cheaper than that. My question is: Should I buy a cheap full bike, or buy a frame set and build the bike up as a project? i would probably buy nicer parts and put them on my primary bike, giving the backup the "hand-me-downs." This may be pricier, but would serve two purposes. For those of you with backups thought, realistically, how often do you ride them? Would building a second bike as opposed to buy really push me way over my 12 to 1300 dollar limit?
I use my good bike for everything, rain, snow/salt, hot, cold. Bike was $6500, 8 years old with original components save a couple ruined rims and in perfect riding condition. Also immaculate, looks new. Bikes are tough, get a good one and ride it till it stops. That will take a very long time.
Old 02-02-12, 04:09 PM
moralleper

Bikes: '10 C'Dale CAAD9 4, '09 S-Works Tricross, Gary Fisher Tassahara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First question, why on earth are you letting the government use your money interest free? You really should change your W2 so you get to keep your money with you!

All that said get the nicest bike in your budget range. I personally would get something like a Salsa Vaya that is really versatile.
Old 02-02-12, 04:33 PM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have all my fits on my bike nearly identical whatever the brand is. I've never ever ever ever ever thought to myself....oh hell, I need to think about this because this shifter is sram and the other bike is shimano. Or that everything has to match perfectly.

saddle yes, Pedals same brand, cranks same length. Everything else is whatever.

Heck, I just remembered that my crit bike is rival with 175 cranks and my road racing bike is 172.5s with Red/force mix and my rain bike is shimano and my cross bike is 2cm smaller than my road bike and that my FS bike has 26" wheels but my HT is a 29er!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some days it's best to say...this saddle is comfortable, this pedal I like and have the fitment the same. I race and don't think too much about OMG, this frame is .5 degrees more this way than the other one and how will I adapt to Red on one bike and rival on the other or 7800 on yet another! OMG! I just ride the dang thing.

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Unless you need to expand your stable's functionality, I'd get a similar/identical bike, or at least frame and shifting/fit stuff. So shifters, bar, stem, saddle, pedals, cranks (for q factor).

I'd much rather have two bikes where I can hop off of one and onto the other without having to make any mental or physical adjustments. Although one of my frames is being modified (to match my current frame), they both have virtually identical parts - shifters, derailleurs, cranks, seat post, seat. I have three sets of wheels for the two bikes. The only difference are the brakes, but they work so similarly that I haven't bothered changing them.

One difference - I'm experimenting with a new bar and therefore a necessary new stem. If I like it I'll buy another bar/stem for the other bike, otherwise I'll revert to the original setup.

I already have a beat up mountain bike (for salt/sand etc), track bike (for racing), and a tandem, so I don't need any more functionality in my stable.
Old 02-02-12, 04:35 PM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
something with fender and rack clearnance and room for bigger tires. 28mm minimum.

Soma Double Cross frame and fork is one thought. Vintage steel frame and fork from ebay or some other place is another.

It's a "rain bike". Don't spend too much for it.
Old 02-02-12, 04:38 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I would think that $1200 to $1300 is insufficient to upgrade your current bike (especially if wheels are part of your plan) and buy a second frame. Even if you could get an Allez E5 for $500, what realistic upgrade parts are you getting for $800 that are really better than what is already on the Tarmac.

Find a frame you like, buy an inexpensive groupset from Ribble, some middle of the road wheels, and don't fart with the Tarmac.

Note: My advice is of marginal use as I am currently assembling my 6th bike in 2+ years.
Old 02-02-12, 04:43 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
It's fine even if you don't treat it and you do let the paint get scratched up. The amount of rust is insignificant and not enough to cause trouble.
Old 02-02-12, 04:43 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cranky
I got a backup/rain bike to help keep my "nice" bike clean. Now I do probably 75% of my riding on the "backup" bike. Of course the rain around here has a lot to do with that. It's been one of the best investments I've ever made.
Been there, done that.

When I got my second bike, it was supposed to be my "nice" bike and the older bike was going to be my rain bike, but the new bike was so much nicer that I hated riding the old one. I tried getting a somewhat nicer rain bike, but it still didn't work. Eventually I realized that living in a place where it rains for nine months straight most years, the rain bike should be my favorite bike and vice versa.
Old 02-02-12, 04:47 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
It's fine even if you don't treat it and you do let the paint get scratched up. The amount of rust is insignificant and not enough to cause trouble.
Agreed. I've commuted on steel bikes that I left out in the rain all day while I was at work. I haven't used frame saver, and I haven't had a problem with rust. Even the spot on the head tube where the cables wore away the paint didn't rust for some reason. The biggest issue I have is that my stainless steel bolts have rusty heads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.