Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Facebook seller fees are DOUBLING

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 02:37 PM
SDHawk

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 117 Posts

I wasn't sure where to post this, but figured this might be a good spot.

The increase only applies to items that are shipped (and paid for through FB Marketplace). Increasing from 5% to 10%, ouch.

Here's the text of an e-mail I received:
The selling fee for listings sold with shipping on Marketplace will increase to 10%, or a minimum of $0.80 per listing, effective April 15, 2024.
This change helps cover the costs of payments processing, customer support, and Purchase Protection.
Local listings sold without shipping (such as through local pickup or dropoff) will continue to have no selling fees.
Old 04-15-24, 02:57 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 188 Posts
I sell stuff on FB all the time but never use their system, so I don’t get charged. They’ll probably close that loop hole at some point (sigh…)
Old 04-15-24, 03:17 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2979 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Catnap
I sell stuff on FB all the time but never use their system, so I don’t get charged. They’ll probably close that loop hole at some point (sigh…)
Ditto.

Used their system once and never again. I sold a wheelset and Facebook holds the payment even though the product is shipped and it took them 2+ weeks to get me my money.

When I sell or buy on facebook, it's Paypal only.
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-15-24, 03:26 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,533 Times in 1,060 Posts
I have yet to buy or sell on Facebook. This reinforces my thought that I do not need to learn how to navigate it.
Old 04-15-24, 04:59 PM
Catnap 

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I have yet to buy or sell on Facebook. This reinforces my thought that I do not need to learn how to navigate it.
In many parts of the USA, Facebook Marketplace has overtaken Craigslist as the place for bicycles. Facebook has enthusiast groups for every type and flavor of vintage bike collectors (and all cycling genres) and there is no better way to reach them. BF only gets a tiny fraction of the traffic. FB Marketplace is a terrible, shoddy product but if you use Facebook strategically (i.e. don't use their payment system, do post For Sale listings in relevant FB Groups) then it's the best non-eBay bicycle marketplace available. Nothing else comes close.
Old 04-15-24, 05:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,397 Times in 2,093 Posts
Don't know why anyone would consider shipping on Facebook Marketplace. Way too many scammers - both buyers and sellers - and every other real person you get through the messaging system is a real weird beard. As bad as eBay is, it's nowhere near the cluster that FB Marketplace is for non-local sales.

Yet, it is great for local sales and those remain free. It has wiped the floor with OfferUp, which is quickly going the way of Craigslist.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-15-24, 05:53 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked 3,144 Times in 1,979 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Don't know why anyone would consider shipping on Facebook Marketplace. Way too many scammers - both buyers and sellers - and every other real person you get through the messaging system is a real weird beard. As bad as eBay is, it's nowhere near the cluster that FB Marketplace is for non-local sales.

Yet, it is great for local sales and those remain free. It has wiped the floor with OfferUp, which is quickly going the way of Craigslist.

-Kurt
One bad experience in shipping and that was it for me. Local purchases only.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 04-15-24, 06:10 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Let me help you make up your mind. Say you post something for sale. you'll get about this many of these but no follow ups from there:

"is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?"

The first line in my ads is "'is this item available?' default messages will be ignored". Which means I still get about half of the number shown above. Trust me, you do not want to deal with people that can't even read the first sentence of your ad. If they actually responds after that, they will ask you just about everything you already bothered to convey on your ad, which of course it was something that meant it wont work for them.
Likes For abdon:
Old 04-15-24, 06:15 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,533 Times in 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
Let me help you make up your mind. Say you post something for sale. you'll get about this many of these but no follow ups from there:

"is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?" "is this item available?"

The first line in my ads is "'is this item available?' default messages will be ignored". Which means I still get about half of the number shown above. Trust me, you do not want to deal with people that can't even read the first sentence of your ad. If they actually responds after that, they will ask you just about everything you already bothered to convey on your ad, which of course it was something that meant it wont work for them.
Why am I not surprised?

I am already an Olympic-caliber time waster. I don't need outside help.
Old 04-15-24, 06:23 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I sold through a private local facebook bike group. Cash changed hands in exchange for bike and no fees. Better response than Craigslist or Nextdoor. Not gonna do that distance selling stuff anymore after issues with eBay.

Old 04-15-24, 06:24 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,808 Times in 1,411 Posts

-Kurt
FBM purchases shipped from Italy - 2 frames, hub, rims. No problems whatsoever. Then again, I'm fully aware I could be throwing away money. But I collect vintage bikes. I have been throwing away money for years.

Old 04-15-24, 07:47 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
I have used Facebook marketplace once . It was nothing bike related. It was a suggestion from my neighbor who sells and buys on there .( I asked him if he knew anyone who needed a dryer.) I listed the item for sale as he instructed , with pictures. I was instantly “pinged” on my phone . Buyers waiting , setting up times that they would be able to come by , it was a clothes dryer so I just wanted it out of my garage! Less than 2 hours later the first to show up handed me cash and he and his friend loaded it the back of his pick up truck. With smiles and a nod ( buyer spoke no English) he drove away . I contacted the other potential buyers to let them know and removed the listing. It was swift and it worked , no fees , no problem . Something I was willing to give away netted $150 ! I just sold another bike on eBay and 13.3% fee was a hit but I knew it going in and priced accordingly. Craigslist has done nothing lately with listings just sitting . I sold on CL years ago with great results but lately it just hasn’t yielded any results. I think these results may be localized but it works. I don’t do Facebook like the 3 different forums I am on but it got rid of that dryer in my garage!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-15-24, 08:06 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 275 Posts
Fb is really good for getting rid of stuff and without caring for the amount.

Like my premium kitchen fridge that was 15 years old (most fridges on fb are like 20-30 yrs old), it already got re-gassed 3 times and didn't want to schedule for a 4th, I actually got paid $100 for it and the buyers did all the work taking it out of the kitchen. Honestly I was just happy it was gone within hours of being listed, it wouldn't have mattered if I had given it away for free.

Basically you will have a hard time if you are purposely buying whatever just to flip on fb.
Old 04-15-24, 09:49 PM
SDHawk

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Originally Posted by prj71
Ditto.

Used their system once and never again. I sold a wheelset and Facebook holds the payment even though the product is shipped and it took them 2+ weeks to get me my money.

When I sell or buy on facebook, it's Paypal only.
I mostly sell locally, esp. whole bikes. Shipping a full bike is expensive and time-consuming. Sometimes though, it's nice using FB shipping to reach a wider audience, and the former 5% fee was worth it.

Anyway, I've had good experiences selling a few parts though FB, but yes it does take a few days after delivery for the payment to hit my account.

In many parts of the USA, Facebook Marketplace has overtaken Craigslist as the place for bicycles. Facebook has enthusiast groups for every type and flavor of vintage bike collectors (and all cycling genres) and there is no better way to reach them. BF only gets a tiny fraction of the traffic. FB Marketplace is a terrible, shoddy product but if you use Facebook strategically (i.e. don't use their payment system, do post For Sale listings in relevant FB Groups) then it's the best non-eBay bicycle marketplace available. Nothing else comes close.
I sell local regularly and agree that FB gets the most action. I usually list on all 3 (FB, CL and OfferUp). It's not much extra work to list on all 3 once the pics are taken and the ad is written. I'd say 60% of my sales are from FB, with 20% each for the other 2... enough to make posting on all 3 worth it.

-Kurt
Yah, of course there are some "is this available?" with no response when I say yes. Doesn't bother me. Scammers are easy to spot imo and easy to ignore. The serious buyers are obvious... they will ask questions that make sense
Likes For SDHawk:
Old 04-16-24, 03:04 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
Question for those who use FBM -- do they prohibit (or block) links in ads you create? I fully intend to go to my grave never having gone to fakebook, but I'm flipping a bike for a friend who has FB. I have the craigslist ad posted. If she were to create a FBM ad and simply include a link to the CL ad in the FBM ad, would that be smacked down?

Slightly OT edit - for those on OfferUp, it appears you need to download and install their app in order to post ads; you can't simply use a browser like,,, well.... like humans have used the Internet for 35 years. Who here uses the app on a Windows PC, and have they had any privacy/security issues with it?

Edit edit - disregard OfferUp question. There's no privacy/security; the only way to download it is with Apple or ***gle.

Last edited by madpogue; 04-16-24 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-16-24, 03:15 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,397 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by SDHawk
Yah, of course there are some "is this available?" with no response when I say yes. Doesn't bother me. Scammers are easy to spot imo and easy to ignore. The serious buyers are obvious... they will ask questions that make sense
Those inquiries are part of the territory (and it doesn't help given the FB mobile UI), but I've had some "serious" buyers who've truly driven me up the wall, including a trucker who was extremely persistent on parking his truck a mile away to hoof it into the neighborhood on some ungodly time of night.

-Kurt

Old 04-16-24, 05:04 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
I buy stuff on FB and offerup mostly. Craigslist I sometimes search but there are hundreds of flipped bikes and I don't need to look at them.
Last two bikes were from offerup, however I have been getting the run around with bike parts.
>yo meet me at x
>I meant y
>the dirt field at y-1+x
IDK what it is.
I have learned if they don't give me an exact address.... games will be played.

Have had better luck on facebook.
Old 04-16-24, 06:03 AM
soyabean

Sellers sometimes don't give out addresses because they're afraid of getting stalked assaulted butthurt kidnapped killed, and thus such folks should NOT be selling to strangers at all and just donate their stuff to goodwill.

Usually I really want whatever they are selling, so yes it can be all games with these sellers and I have to make the call how far I want to put up with their wokeness.

Last edited by soyabean; 04-16-24 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-16-24, 08:42 AM
SDHawk

Originally Posted by madpogue
Question for those who use FBM -- do they prohibit (or block) links in ads you create? I fully intend to go to my grave never having gone to fakebook, but I'm flipping a bike for a friend who has FB. I have the craigslist ad posted. If she were to create a FBM ad and simply include a link to the CL ad in the FBM ad, would that be smacked down?
I believe FB allows links, though it's possible they would block CL...dunno. However, I think a lot of people wouldn't click the link.

Imo you'd have better results if you copy/pasted the CL ad text and added pics to the actual FB ad.
Likes For SDHawk:
Old 04-16-24, 08:58 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts
What I do as a BUYER on Marketplace, OfferUp, etc.;
- I don’t use the formatted “is this available” or whatever template is offered. I ask specific questions about things not mentioned in the ad.
- I don’t make offers until I see the item in person.
- I suggest meeting at a halfway point or place familiar to both of us if distance is reasonable.
- If the price is reasonable to start with I might make a slightly lower offer but I’m prepared to pay full price.
- If all goes well I leave the seller a 5-star review.
- If I’m running late I let the seller know.
- I let the seller know I’ll be driving a white F-150 or whatever vehicle I’m in.

You may say, “Rusty, I know how to spend money. Why are you blathering on about this!?” Well, good communication has yielded rewards. I’ve had sellers throw in freebies because they just want to get rid of stuff. A set of wheels also got me some new tires. A bike purchase also got me a set of skis, that I wasn’t interested in, but I sold those so the bike was free. Win! Also, if I’m buying bike stuff I ask if they have anything else that might be related and often the add-ons are VERY cheap or free. I’ll break my own rule on location if the seller says “I’ve got a bunch of stuff. C’mon over and check it out.”

Poor communication is a red flag whether I’m buying or selling. If the other person isn’t flexible about time or meeting place (exception noted above) I pass unless it’s something I REALLY want.

Unless it’s small stuff, I wouldn’t consider shipping. Too much potential for problems.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 04-16-24, 09:09 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2979 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 772 Posts
Truth.

I don't bother selling on Craigslist or Ebay anymore nor any of classifieds on any bike forum. Just advertise your sale as PayPal only. Easiest way to do it.
Old 04-16-24, 09:13 AM
soyabean

My fb profile age (fb member since) is a big asset, fb nets about half my sales, I don't mess around on my fb account with weird cheating gaming crap like posting links to ANYWHERE.

I don't flip for friends, PERIOD.

I make it clear I will gladly buy their bike at the price I want to pay.

I will do all repairs and restore with original and of era parts.

I will polish that bike to showroom and make a photo gallery for my ad.

I will write a quality ad with specs galore.

I will list it across the board on all my regular selling venues.

I will securely store the bike indoors as my listings gain hits.

I will arrange the sale with the buyer.

I will KEEP ALL THE MONEY.

Anyone that asks me to do above for free is basically asking me to be their slave, picking cotton while they goof off and buy cocktails for their other friends with money from the bike I sell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fix things.jpg (127.7 KB, 269 views)
Old 04-16-24, 09:29 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 328 Posts
I've gotten a couple items off local FB Marketplace, both good transactions. The couple times I've tried selling locally on FB Marketplace, 2/3 were people who wanted to low-ball or barter for garbage (not counting the people who use "Is it still available?" and disappear). I would still offer bikes in a private group on Facebook devoted solely to local bike enthusiasts, but I'll be damned if I offer another item on the general FB open market. I've had better luck selling stuff on eBay, Bikeforums, or the CABE.
Old 04-16-24, 09:37 AM
Catnap 

Everyone has their own degree of patience for navigating the BS that comes from selling online. Posting on Craigslist usually unleashes a torrent of scam emails in the first 24 hours, but I expect that, so whatever. I buy a lot of stuff on FB that needs to be shipped to me, via 1:1 transactions. You just put in place a process and parameters that you're comfortable with, and if the seller / buyer is on board, great. If not, move on. Always insure packages and require signature, so if the buyer claims it didn't arrive, you get your money back.
Old 04-16-24, 11:05 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I've been selling from my parents estate on Marketplace for a few years now as well as some surplus things at my church. My experience has been very good with few issues. I've been ghosted a couple times with no shows and a few easily detected scammers. Yeah, you get a lot of "Is this available" and that's the end of that, Just part of the game and doesn't really bother me.

I've shipped small items only if it's going to fit in a flat rate box or envelope and buyer pays shipping. I have delivered a few items locally usually charging $20 delivery. I've had people show up from 100 miles or more away. After a quick check of profiles/google I typically just meet them at the homestead or my house and church stuff at church. I'll work with them if we can find a reasonable meeting place if requested.

I have had few people not just pay my asking price but a lot of that is right pricing. I've bought a number of things as well. I've met some really nice and interesting people along the way. I like the fact I can look at someone's profile to at least see if they're local or whatever as well as see mutual friends. I rarely look at craigslist anymore nor sell on it.

Last edited by dedhed; 04-17-24 at 06:20 AM.
Likes For dedhed:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.