Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First Road Bike - World Sport

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-10, 12:58 PM
JTred
StumbleUpon Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, this is my first time in any of the non-mountain bike forums on this site. I got my first road bike today, a mid '80s Schwinn World Sport. From what I can gather, this frame was made in Taiwan by Giant and is an entry-mid level bike. It is exactly what I was looking for, an older (could it be called vintage?) roadie for a good price ($15). Apparently it was ridden a few times then sat in a garage for 20 years. It also has a tube and tool kit in the seat pack. I really like the toe clips, they will be a good introduction to being attached to the bike in case I eventually go clipless. It needs cleaned up a little but I will get to that after a few rides. It will probably see a lot of rails-to-trails until I get back into shape and then I will venture out onto the road. Anyhow I just thought I'd stop in and say hello and show off my new bike.

Old 06-13-10, 01:17 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Congrats on your $15 deal, Jtred. The light action derailleur is a good one -( I currently have these on a couple of my own bikes and like them a lot.)

- I don't know what you mean by "It will probably see a lot of rails-to-trails" - but before you ride it far, you should hunker down and do some serious maintenance on it: The grease in the cups has probably hardened up - and likely you'll need new housings and cables to keep things flowing smoothly. Also take a close look at those tires - if they're dried out/cracking, you'll need to replace them too. You can buy good, serviceable 27" tires very economically, at a lot of on-line stores.
Old 06-13-10, 01:28 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks just about perfect for what you want to do. Low-end, but on the nicer side of the low-end spectrum.

If it were me riding it, I would make a few low-cost changes
-remove kickstand
-swap foam handlebar stuff for real bar tape
-swap brake levers for aero levers
-maybe (if I had the cash laying around) switch the stem shifters for bar-end. This is 95% for aesthetic reasons, since stem shifters just scream "cheap bike" to me. All the other upgrades have at least some practical purpose.
Old 06-13-10, 01:34 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Nice to see this bike. My first bike was an '85 World Sport -- a HS graduation presents from my folks. I rode it through college and law school and commuted on it to my first job. Well done.
Old 06-13-10, 02:55 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
The frames on the World Sports are actually worthy of upgrades, in my opinion. It's double butted chro-mo, at least in the main triangle. I had a 1986, and although it was too big for me, I wish it hadn't been damaged in an accident. I'd pick another one up in a heartbeat.
Old 06-13-10, 03:01 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
The frames on the World Sports are actually worthy of upgrades, in my opinion. It's double butted chro-mo, at least in the main triangle. I had a 1986, and although it was too big for me, I wish it hadn't been damaged in an accident. I'd pick another one up in a heartbeat.
'86 was the first year it was butted. '85 and earlier had straight-gauge crmo. It was about a pound heavier and in my experience the ride was nothing special.
Old 06-13-10, 03:21 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
'86 was the first year it was butted. '85 and earlier had straight-gauge crmo. It was about a pound heavier and in my experience the ride was nothing special.
The Light Action RD is '86 or later. And I concur with auchencrow, it's a good comp.
But unless it's a replacement it's kind of out of place on that bike.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)

Last edited by top506; 06-13-10 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-13-10, 04:10 PM
JTred
StumbleUpon Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Congrats on your $15 deal, Jtred. The light action derailleur is a good one -( I currently have these on a couple of my own bikes and like them a lot.)

- I don't know what you mean by "It will probably see a lot of rails-to-trails" - but before you ride it far, you should hunker down and do some serious maintenance on it: The grease in the cups has probably hardened up - and likely you'll need new housings and cables to keep things flowing smoothly. Also take a close look at those tires - if they're dried out/cracking, you'll need to replace them too. You can buy good, serviceable 27" tires very economically, at a lot of on-line stores.
Thanks for the replies everyone, I was nervous about being laughed out of the forum. The tires are, in fact, cracking and that will probably be the first thing I do to it when I get some extra money. This bike will probably be a work in progress for some time.

Rails-to-trails means the Youghiogheny River Trail, a flat cinder bike trail a few miles from my house. For now I don't see myself doing any trips much longer than 20 miles. At least until I can get back into shape. Again thanks for all the replies and for the kind welcome.

Edit:
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
This frame is double butted, so it must be at least an '86.

Last edited by JTred; 06-13-10 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-14-10, 05:52 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice bike ! IF you do any mods to it, KEEP the original parts. ONE DAY, it will be collectible & worth much more if original.
Old 06-14-10, 06:03 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I disagree. It will never be "collectible." Just have some fun with it. Upgrade and customize as you see fit.
Old 06-14-10, 06:30 AM
Gthoro

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice score Jtred, I picked up an identical WS to yours earlier this summer for the same price. It's an '86 and a nice ride. Enjoy it!
Old 06-14-10, 07:15 AM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I picked one of those up, in nearly unridden condition, for $30 and sold it for $170 here locally so you got a great deal.
Get off the computer and RIDE!