Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

BossCat's Spoiler

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

BossCat's Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-10, 12:25 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Bikes: Viking Urban Trail. Schwinn Spoiler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BossCat's Spoiler

Just goes to show the old saying (Things come to those who wait) is true. I spent months looking for the right set of handlebars without any luck then last week out of the blue a pair popped up on ebay.

Western Handlebars 12" Rise 30" Width. New
£4.99
£4.41 Postage.

At that price I couldn't press the confirm bid fast enough. They arrived during the week so I spent some time today fitting them along with my new seat that arrived last week.

Handlebars.
Haven't fitted the rear brake as my sprocket takes the place of the disc rotor. I'll need to get a sprocket adaptor so I can add both sprocket and rotor.

Seat.
Im wondering if i'll develope a flame pattern on my butt sitting on this for any length of time.

I also added my gold braided brake cable and rigged up my 2 into 1 front brake(s) pull system. I had already made a caliper bracket that holds the left caliper at the bottom but after buying 203 gold buzzsaw rotors the caliper didn't fit. I made up another bracket that holds the caliper on top. Not sure if I like the brake sitting like that (to much cable sticking out, and pulling the wrong way) I may make another bracket and change it back to the bottom.

Left Brake Before...

Left Brake (temp) After...

All the wiring (Throttle/brake light cable(s)/front light) are sitting a little haphazard at the moment as with adding the higher bars i'll need to extend all the cables.
I cant get a chance to test ride as theres still hard packed icey snow in my area

Regards
Tom
Old 12-11-10, 01:00 PM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
looking good there mate.

Was good to talk with you on the phone today after all those months: we should stay in touch more often.
Old 12-14-10, 03:34 AM
Chop!

Bikes: GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On springer forks you need to be very careful about how you anchor the caliper. Otherwise when you brake hard (especially with twin disks!) the forks will 'pogo'.
I found this out the hard way, on my chopper motorbike.
The normal way to overcome this is to have a bracket that attachs to the top of the caliper (caliper on top of disk) then a floating (loose) arm at 90 degrees to the rear leg
Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!