Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The odoriferous bike commuter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 10:32 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 256 Posts

I'm sure this has been covered before but where I live it hits the high 80's and 90's with high humidity. I work up a real sweat and a fragrant aroma going on a ride that deodorant and a change of clothes can't eliminate. For a regular ride it's no problem. I get back and shower at home. When I used to commute to work in Arizona it was a bit easier to deal with. Where I live now a shower upon a lengthy cool-down is an absolute must...along with a fresh set of work clothes. Yes, I have access to a shower near work but it's not convenient. Plus the extra cool-down time is not optimal either.

If any of you live in a hot and humid environment and commute to work, how do you deal with it?
Old 04-18-24, 01:54 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 1,220 Posts
I keep my shower supplies (flip-flops, soap and shampoo, etc.) at my cube. When I get to work, I transfer clothes over to my gym bag, take off cycling shoes, and check my overnight emails. That usually gets me past the heavy sweating, so a cool shower gets me clean and I stay (relatively) dry afterwards. Cool days I'll go through the courtyard to the gym and shower, in another month or so I'll take the long way around via air-conditioned halls.

I don't know what I'd do without email.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-19-24, 10:03 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 203 Posts
eBike for the win.
Take 'er easy on the way in, hit it hard on the way home.
If you're averse to that idea, what they used to do in China (before eBikes took over) was just ride very slowly. Like 6 mph. It's still twice as fast as walking. It helps that they're all thin, too.

Aventon Level.2 commuter, w/Topeak MTX trunk bag w/fold-down panniers. I have a FoldyLock Forever in place of the water bottle now, and carry water in the trunk bag.
It has lights integrated into the rear fender and seat stays, as well as the headlight, but I added a PlanetBike Grateful Red to the rack as well. Suntour NCX suspension seatpost is a KILLER addition.
Old 04-19-24, 11:54 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5803 Post(s)
Liked 2,621 Times in 1,455 Posts
I used to use DIY pre-dampened wash cloths, followed by toweling dry as well as possible, then get dressed after some cool down. Though I've never used them, they now sell products made expressly for washing where no shower is available, so you might try your luck.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-19-24, 12:14 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I used to use DIY pre-dampened wash cloths, followed by toweling dry as well as possible, then get dressed after some cool down. Though I've never used them, they now sell products made expressly for washing where no shower is available, so you might try your luck.
Yep, Dude Shower wipes:

https://roadhouseoutfitters.com/prod...hypoallergenic

They would work for the pits and underparts, but maybe not the rest of the torso?
Old 04-19-24, 12:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5803 Post(s)
Liked 2,621 Times in 1,455 Posts
There's also "Skunky" which is lower cost. This isn't self contained, needing water, but advertises a sponge bath of sorts, without needing to rinse. These and others are low cost enough to justify trying and seeing if they meet your needs.

FWIW my DIY wash cloths were dampened with a blend of witch hazel, water and bit of scent, and were essentially free. I'd pack them in a baggie, for the out and back, then hang to dry before tossing into the hamper.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-21-24 at 03:48 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-19-24, 12:37 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I don’t know how well these work, but I just ordered some of these body wipes for an upcoming camping trip. The reviews on them seem pretty good, they might be sufficient to get you cleaned up after your ride in
Old 04-19-24, 04:38 PM
mtnwalker

Bikes: '84 Centurion Accordo RS, '06 Gary Fisher Marlin, '06 Schwinn Fastback 27, '06 Litespeed Teramo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the cool down is an issue, leave 10 minutes earlier than usual. That's what I used to do when I commuted 11 miles one way. The wipes are great every now and then but nothing really beats a nice shower specially when you are dripping in sweat.
Old 04-19-24, 08:26 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Here's another possibility: "Paper Shower". It was invented by one of my colleagues, Jim Bahcall. A short video describing how he came up with the idea is
(I like watching this video every now and then, because it nicely captures his enthusiastic personality. Jim died almost three years ago, and is greatly missed by everyone who knew him.)
Likes For sweeks:
Old 04-20-24, 04:37 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 340 Posts
My longest held job was within commuting distance but not a safe bike route. Summers I would bike after work, but other times I would take a long lunch and bike, then eat.

There was no shower at work, but a small room that I was able to use as a changing area. I thinned down 70% rubbing alcohol, IIRC, 1 part alc to 2 parts water. I'd use that on paper towel to wipe down, smelliest places last, then in trash, put on deodorant and fresh undies, and dress clothes back on.

When I went on an extended car trip between jobs in a small wagon, I rigged up a car shower: NEW 5 gallon cubish plastic fuel container, old electric fuel pump saved from a junked car and strapped under handle, water feed hose placed through inverted nozzle pointing down into jug and held in place with cap and feeding pump, outlet connected to sink sprayer hose and button trigger nozzle (fine spray), momentary contact switch under button to turn on pump, power source from cigarette lighter socket. Whole thing was on front passenger floor. Right door map pocket contained small pump bottle of soap, small pump bottle of shampoo, shower brush, towel. I'd pull to the edge of a rest area, and wear swim trunks if anyone was around, plug in pump, pull out sprayer on hose, spray down, soap up (never even needed to pull out bottles, they just stayed in map pocket), rinse, towel. Super easy. Doing navy shower technique, only spraying when needed, that water lasted a long time. When backpacking or biking, I just do same with a two liter bottle of water, just uses more water, the sink sprayer was much more water efficient.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 04-21-24, 03:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,442 Posts
I like the idea of DIY washcloths! I have also discovered witch hazel as a nice mild astringent. It cools the skin and gets me to stop sweating, and it does not dry my skin.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-21-24, 04:12 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Ride with the same effort as walking. As pointed out, it is at least twice as fast as walking and the higher airspeed keeps you cool. It's a shame that since the 1950s. cycling became a sport.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 04-21-24, 07:03 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Ride with the same effort as walking. As pointed out, it is at least twice as fast as walking and the higher airspeed keeps you cool. It's a shame that since the 1950s. cycling became a sport.
Some feel the same about sailing, that a sign of too much money in a society is planing boats.
Old 04-22-24, 09:34 AM
jaxy357

Bikes: Terry Susan B., '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, 'Lectric Lite folding bike, beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
I bring a clean washcloth in a zip loc bag to avoid all the waste associated with wet wipes. If it's really hot and I have time, I go to the gym to shower but if I didn't get too sweaty, I just used the handicapped stall with a sink (estimated time of day is 7:30 am, so before it's too busy in the building) to get some handsoap on there, wash up and then place the washcloth back in the zip loc. I make sure to get as much air out of the bag as possible before sealing and haven't had issues with mold or mildew, even if I forget about it in my bag for a few days.