Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Retirement!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 02:38 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Retirement!

Finally, this week is my last as a FTE working for a company. After 35 years, it’s time to move on and do other things. The recent passing of my father (he was almost 88) has taught me there are too many other things besides work.

I’ve had a great run as a Biochemical Engineer, and at 60 yo., am young enough to enjoy life and do things that I want to do. This includes more cycle time......
Old 05-02-18, 03:00 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to the retired folks club. You can send your dues to me at .....
I've been enjoying extra riding time for years and its great. You won't be disappointed.
There are lots of trails and very low traffic roads in central and north Florida (gatorland). Be sure to post lots of pictures. Have fun.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-02-18, 03:21 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Congrats..I'm working on year three(that would be R-naught + 3) and have been through the bike N+1 routine several times...ain't done yet I expect. If you gather every great thing you've ever heard about retirement..you find it's better than that...as long as you've prepared for it.

A friend recently retired..like two weeks ago. Several of us were out riding and stopped for a cold drink..he was asked, "What are you going to do tomorrow?" He said, ".uhh..I don't know yet" We laughed..as that's the right answer! He caught on quick.
Old 05-02-18, 06:31 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
4 years for me. I wake up some mornings and still can't believe it.
Enjoy the ride.
Old 05-02-18, 08:02 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Enjoying my last year of biking to work. When the weather is ok. Retirement starts 1/1/19.
Have fun, wthensler! (If that's what you want to do.)
Old 05-02-18, 08:45 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
About time! What took you so long? Congratulations on your retirement! Get ready to really enjoy life now. I will be 53 later this year, and have been retired for 3 years. I find that I am just as busy now as when I was a FTE. My dad retired when he was 48, (78 now) and was pestering me from the day I turned 40 as to what my plan was as to when I was going to retire-"...and you better not tell me you're waiting until you're 65", he said! Congrats man, get out there and have a blast!
Old 05-02-18, 10:28 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Congrats : thumb:
takes a few years to learn how to retire
...,,,,,,,,,Enjoy the ride ..........
Old 05-02-18, 10:31 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

Retirement
You got the jump on me...
Old 05-02-18, 10:36 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
If only I could figure out if I can afford it. Plus, my wife points out that we've been working long enough that we have no debts and make reasonable money we might want to keep doing it while we can. The money is nice. But all this work stuff is getting mighty daily. Even though I like it.
Congrats to you. Do check on next year and tell us: Bored? Broke? Busy? What?
Old 05-03-18, 03:26 AM
jeepseahawk
[IMG]https://i4.photobucke

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor
About time! What took you so long? Congratulations on your retirement! Get ready to really enjoy life now. I will be 53 later this year, and have been retired for 3 years. I find that I am just as busy now as when I was a FTE. My dad retired when he was 48, (78 now) and was pestering me from the day I turned 40 as to what my plan was as to when I was going to retire-"...and you better not tell me you're waiting until you're 65", he said! Congrats man, get out there and have a blast!
I retired at 50 as well, 2 months into it, so far, happy as hell, hated my job for last ten years. My father retired at 50 due to heart attack, social security provided after that. I will not follow his foot-steps to heart attack. Comfortable with pension,
but life changes made it easier, am very busy with my woman and her honey-do lists. I am fortunate to have lifetime medical covered at set premium.

Last edited by jeepseahawk; 05-11-18 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 08:37 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
This time next year I'll be nearing the end of FTE, at 65-1/2. Would love to have done earlier, however at least it won't be age 70! Will start counting the months over the summer....whoo hooo!
Old 05-03-18, 12:34 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
"Retired" six years ago...now 61. It is only just great! Kept two grand babies until they hit pre-K...super time with them. Gotta shower up and head out for the after school program where I volunteer...last day for this year, always a big deal. Next, summer camps. There is plenty to do and do not be afraid to say no...something else will come along.
Old 05-03-18, 01:25 PM
IK_biker
old fart

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wonder, why did you have to wait until turning 60?!
Old 05-03-18, 04:23 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Congratulations!! Fellow engineer here. I gave it 42 terrific years but like you, it was time for something different. You’re going to enjoy it more than you think you will. Enjoy!
Old 05-03-18, 04:48 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Sorry, I don't get it. I am enjoying my encore career in academia, following a 35-year run in industry. I had tentatively planned to retire at age 70 (two years from this coming summer), but I may keep going beyond that. The saving grace is a much more flexible work schedule, including working from home most Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the fact that I now work "only" 40 hrs/wk., instead of 50 or 60.

The other saving grace is financial independence, and the knowledge that I now work at a job that I could afford to walk away from at any time.

One of my friends, who is 10 years my senior, retired from teaching electrical engineering for 50 years at San Diego State, and now he works part-time with me as an adjunct prof. at UCSD. His friends tell him he "sucks at retirement." Another role model is local oceanographer Walter Munk, 101, who says, "I work because I still can."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-03-18, 05:00 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Tips for Retirement!

Reading wthenslers post on Retirement got me thinking about what tips those that are retired can offer to those thinking or planning for it. I greatly value folks actual experiences and have relied on them for many things, filtering them to fit my own needs and values if that makes sense.

Here goes:

For those that have worked a long structured career that may have concerns about “what will I do with my time”, I think it’s very helpful to have other interests outside of your career. I’m extremely fortunate in that I enjoy a number of things like golf, cycling, house projects etc. I’ve been retired for two years and have never looked for anything to do. I’ve never been bored. I get my social outlet from play golf and riding friends. How about you?

Financials, I’m finding I need close to the same income as when I was working. Everyone’s situation is different so I’d be interested to hear other’s thoughts. Inflation continues and I don’t think anything has reduced in cost since I retired. Medical insurance for my wife is substantially higher than I’d planned but we’ve found another option.....I still need bike parts, groceries etc. I even wanted to expand my cycling interests so I purchased a gravel frame and built up yet another bike......We have a solid financial plan and experts helping us execute it. I haven’t lost sleep or stressed over finances, but I think we’re reasonable with our lifestyle. I just need to keep the wife in check on spending our retirement on our grandkids????

i think it’s important to incorporate “fun” and rewarding things into your life. I’ve planned and ridden my bike across the US. I do supported bicycle tours around the US. I built a new bike and enjoying riding gravel/dirt roads. I’m learning and experiencing doing unsupported overnight rides. We’re doing trips to other countries with our friends and relatives.

I did an overnight bike ride this past week and met and talked to a number other cyclists on the trail doing overnight rides. The theme was very similar. Everyone was loving life, smiling, enjoying retirement, glad to not be working and thrilled with being able to ride their bikes. Sound familiar?

What thoughts can you offer?
Old 05-04-18, 06:22 AM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

After all these wonderful posts, a bit more detail. First, I would have been long retired, but my wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer four years ago. I had been preparing for Mom and Dad’s passing, but not this. Thank God she is currently in remission, and we do a lot of OC events all over the country. For anyone in the same unfortunate situation, cancer treatment is enormously expensive. So I really needed great health care benefits. We’re covered through years’ end, but I know insurance will be expensive going forward.

As for complete retirement, no that’ll never happen. We have a number of petroleum and c-store businesses which we invested in, but they are a lot of work.

As for hobbies, in addition to cycling I also love astronomy and am going to learn to scuba dive. Each of those are time consuming. Astro is another hobby one can completely lose themselves in, and I’ve always felt rushed, until now. And I have quite an arsenal of scopes, binoculars, etc.

And finally, I do plan to teach. I have taught engineering courses in the past. I don’t think it would be too much of a stretch to teach at UF, but I’d rather volunteer and teach STEM to younger children, I have been blessed in academics and my career, and I feel a need to give something back. So that’s part of my plan.

Last edited by wthensler; 05-04-18 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 08:16 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
After all these wonderful posts, a bit more detail. First, I would have been long retired, but my wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer four years ago. I had been preparing for Mom and Dad’s passing, but not this. Thank God she is currently in remission, and we do a lot of OC events all over the country. For anyone in the same unfortunate situation, cancer treatment is enormously expensive. So I really needed great health care benefits. We’re covered through years’ end, but I know insurance will be expensive going forward.

As for complete retirement, no that’ll never happen. We have a number of petroleum and c-store businesses which we invested in, but they are a lot of work.

As for hobbies, in addition to cycling I also love astronomy and am going to learn to scuba dive. Each of those are time consuming. Astro is another hobby one can completely lose themselves in, and I’ve always felt rushed, until now. And I have quite an arsenal of scopes, binoculars, etc.

And finally, I do plan to teach. I have taught engineering courses in the past. I don’t think it would be too much of a stretch to teach at UF, but I’d rather volunteer and teach STEM to younger children, I have been blessed in academics and my career, and I feel a need to give something back. So that’s part of my plan.
Sounds like you have things covered. Enjoy life to the MAX!!!

My retirement now includes cancer, but so be life. Waiting for new biopsy results to see how bad a recurrence might be and then just deal with it. In the mean time, enjoying every day the best I can. Planning on a 12 hour ride starting later today to see how close to 200 miles I can do.
Old 05-04-18, 08:35 AM
wthensler 

OldTryGuy,

Your words mean so much to me, thank you. Hey, you’ve already got rock star status (and I have the proof!). Best wishes.
Old 05-04-18, 12:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
sorry about the loss of your Father. here's wishing you nothing but the best memories of your Dad. Best of health for your Wife!

regarding the retirement - wow, congrats! jealous! your plans sound great. I miss SCUBA. in Florida you guys have those lobsters without the big claws right? fun to hunt for at night! get a light!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-04-18 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 01:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I retired two years ago and don't regret it for a minute. After three decades in health care, I no longer need to worry about my hands getting dirty. I fill my time as a volunteer bike mechanic:

https://riverviewgardens.org/earn-a-bike/
Old 05-04-18, 01:08 PM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Finally, this week is my last as a FTE working for a company. After 35 years, it’s time to move on and do other things. The recent passing of my father (he was almost 88) has taught me there are too many other things besides work.

I’ve had a great run as a Biochemical Engineer, and at 60 yo., am young enough to enjoy life and do things that I want to do. This includes more cycle time......
Congrats and enjoy. I hope to join the retirement group in 1-2 years.
Old 05-04-18, 02:05 PM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, envious of all of you. I am 59 and am in my 33rd year of work (lawyer). I am probably looking at holding on until 65 but who knows? If the stock market stays relatively healthy and I am convinced the kids (4 of them) are on their feet enough to handle their school loans I could see walking away in a couple of years. Then it's cycling and golf till the cows come home!
Old 05-05-18, 04:55 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Retirement!
…I’ve had a great run as a Biochemical Engineer, and at 60 yo., am young enough to enjoy life and do things that I want to do. This includes more cycle time......
Originally Posted by cccorlew
If only I could figure out if I can afford it. Plus, my wife points out that we've been working long enough that we have no debts and make reasonable money we might want to keep doing it while we can. The money is nice. But all this work stuff is getting mighty daily. Even though I like it

Congrats to you. Do check on next year and tell us: Bored? Broke? Busy? What?
Originally Posted by gettingold
Wow, envious of all of you. I am 59 and am in my 33rd year of work (lawyer). I am probably looking at holding on until 65 but who knows? If the stock market stays relatively healthy and I am convinced the kids (4 of them) are on their feet enough to handle their school loans I could see walking away in a couple of years.

Then it's cycling and golf till the cows come home! :giver
Originally Posted by jppe
Reading wthenslers post on Retirement got me thinking about what tips those that are retired can offer to those thinking or planning for it.

What thoughts can you offer?
I’m a few years away from retirement, but it is starting to loom large. Nice set of tips, @jppe, and my comiseration to those with health problems (IMO cycling can be an effective preventive maintainence). I too like my rewarding job, psychically and financially, and I want to establish an inheiritance for the children, especially a disabled one. We have also recently bought a vacation / investment second home.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
In addition, for the first time we bought a second home in a resort town on Metro Boston’s scenic North Shore, a nice cycling route 40 miles long north of our condo in downtown Boston. The region is also good for road cycling,..
My cycling lifestyle is important to me and retirement vis-à-vis cycling poses a dilemma.
I previously replied to this thread on the Commuting Forum, "How to motivate myself to ride when I'll no longer be commuting to work?"...

Just yesterday a colleague asked me when I was going to retire. I suggested a number of years, adding, "I like my job, and it’s a convenient place (and distance) to bike to."
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I like that.
but,
I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride. I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week. During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-05-18 at 06:22 AM. Reason: added jppe quote
Old 05-06-18, 09:10 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Congrats on your partial retirement. I retired in 2011 and had I know retirement would have been this good and I could have made an income off of it, I would have retired at age 21. Even though you're not fully retired, you now have more time for riding. Ride on!

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.