Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New to Me Bike Day Raleigh Cadent 2

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 05:23 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

Only had to drive 200 miles to get it and spend the whole day in my car but worth it! I had very little knowledge about this bike. One red flag is that they seemed to have been sold on Amazon once. But this seems like a pretty solid ride. Aluminum frame with Carbon Forks. Shimano Alivio group which I guess I'll see how that goes. It's seems heavier than my Trek FX3 which I miss. But definitely livelier than the FX1.
I wonder if that's the 40 width tires?

​​​​​​I plan to take it on a 20 mile ride tomorrow. Interesting to see what the average pace on it is. Although that's not why I bought it.

Here is a pic.

Old 03-28-24, 12:14 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
We bought our oldest daughter a Raleigh Alysa 1 back in 2015...back when Raleigh were sold in bike shops. The Alysa is the "women's specific design" version of the Cadent. The '1' is the base model bike, but it's really a joy to ride. The alloy frame and steel fork together give it a pretty decent ride and...it's just a fun little bike to enjoy a nice day on. I hope your new Cadent serves you well for years to come!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 03-28-24, 01:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Yes a few years ago they were selling decent bikes via their own website. I had a Tamland back in early "gravel" days and it was nice. For some reason they soon abandoned that sales model and returned to box store bikes. When I decided to sell I could hardly give it away. Maybe this will be a keeper.
Old 03-28-24, 01:54 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
So, tomorrow happens to be today!

How did it ride? Did this solve your neck problems?

Looks like a nice bike!
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 03-28-24, 04:40 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Yep, how was it?
Old 03-30-24, 03:18 PM
RoadWearier

It's a nice bike. With pedals and a seat bag full of tools, tube, patch kit, and a kickstand it still only weighed 26 lbs. On my 16 mile ride I averaged 15.7 mph which for me on an upright hybrid, I was happy with. I averaged 13.7 on the Kona. Maybe some of that is the rising I've been doing, but still. I think Carbon forks seem to help on the wooden plank and off road part of my ride. I feel like I was going slower but I guess I wasn't. Definitely helps my neck to not be hunched over. I also moved the seat up and forward so I'm curious to see how the next ride goes with those adjustments. Thanks for asking
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 03-31-24, 11:54 AM
Lockback

Bikes: Trek Verve 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Very nice looking bike!
Likes For Lockback:
Old 04-09-24, 01:41 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
@RoadWearier, did you get the fit dialed in? Do you still like it?
Old 04-09-24, 04:19 PM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Interesting frame shape. Looks good.
Old 04-11-24, 09:33 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Korina
@RoadWearier, did you get the fit dialed in? Do you still like it?
Yes I moved the seat forward and rotated the grips "forward" (if sitting on the bike. It's perfect. I'd like to be able to sit up a bit more to rest my neck but I really like it! It's an odd model. I'm not sure where it came from but it was $165 well spent. Even a Wal-Mart bike would be 25% more.
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 04-12-24, 03:21 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Yes I moved the seat forward and rotated the grips "forward" (if sitting on the bike. It's perfect. I'd like to be able to sit up a bit more to rest my neck but I really like it! It's an odd model. I'm not sure where it came from but it was $165 well spent. Even a Wal-Mart bike would be 25% more.
Yeah, the joys of threadless. I'm glad you like it! Enjoy your ride.
Likes For Korina:
Old 04-14-24, 09:55 AM
RoadWearier

Yeah, the joys of threadless. I'm glad you like it! Enjoy your ride.
Just curious as to why you'd think a quill stem would help? Could I not get at sharper angle stem? Or an adjustable? Although people seem to really dislike them on here
Old 04-14-24, 03:25 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Just curious as to why you'd think a quill stem would help? Could I not get at sharper angle stem? Or an adjustable? Although people seem to really dislike them on here
When I want to raise or lower my quill stem, I loosen a bolt; if it's not enough buy a longer or shorter stem for not that much. From what I understand, once you've maxed out the height of your threadless stem you have to buy a new fork. For me, once I get the right length of stem I'm more likely to play with the height especially as I get older. YMMV, of course; like tubes vs. tubeless, one is not better than the other, you just get a different set of problems.
Likes For Korina:
Old 04-15-24, 06:40 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
From what I understand, once you've maxed out the height of your threadless stem you have to buy a new fork.
You can get threadless stem extenders. Some like them, some think they're unsafe. I have one that I've used on and off road and it seems fine to me.

To be sure, there are both pros and cons to threaded/quill stems and threadless stems. I like how easy quill stems are to adjust, and how they tend to add some compliance to the front of the bike ("flex"). I've had several bikes with quill stems where the headset adjustment just doesn't like to take a set, and it requires continual adjustment or tweaking. While I don't think this is necessarily common, I've seen it discussed elsewhere as well so it seems to be something that happens every now and again. That's one of the nice things about threadless -- headset adjustment is usually pretty easy to set. But that's good, because it requires resetting it whenever you replace a stem. The other thing I appreciate about threadless is how solid the front of the bike feels. It doesn't have the flex of the quill system. How can that flex be a pro and a con? I think it works differently for different bikes. I have some older steel bikes with "narrow" tires (35mm) where the flex in the stem system feels nice and feels natural for the bike. For my mountain bikes with large (50-60mm) tires and suspension forks, I like the threadless design because it takes all the flex away from the stem and handlebar area and forces the suspension and the tires to do that work.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-16-24, 07:48 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
the availabilty / selection of quality lightweight 1 1/8 / 31.8 threadless stems is greater … much greater … including riser stems