Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there a Smart Saddle available in the market?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 10:30 PM
nagarkar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I looked into the gebiomized 'dynamic' fit consultation and it is pretty expensive (> $300 per). I have a large family, many are cycling enthusiasts and I was wondering if there is a smart saddle product in the market that can do something like a saddle pressure analysis (GP Bike – gebioMized), and automatically adjust the saddle position/orientation to optimize the pressure distribution. I couldn't find anything at Amazon or my local bike supply shop. Does anyone else have this need or am I crazy?
Old 04-01-18, 11:52 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Not aware of such a thing but if someone can invent it at a reasonable price, they might just make a killing.
Old 04-02-18, 05:56 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it did exist, it would probably cost far more than $300.
Old 04-02-18, 07:29 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I like the old fashion way. You buy and try 20 different saddles and then you finally buy a Brooks and your done.
Old 04-02-18, 07:50 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I think if you go into a trek store they have you set on a color etch a sketch. Your sit bones are the pressure points, and this shows up as two dots. They can measure the distance between the two points and give you a size. But some points:

1) Most saddle models only come in a few sizes. If you can figure out about how far apart are your sitz bones, you zero in pretty quick. And if you are willing to say (for example) something like "I'm a 5'8" guy with a pretty narrow waist, so I'm either a narrow or a medium" (YMMV) you can probably figure this out without multiple-day-long biometric measuring sessions, a supercomputer, and Finite Element software.

2) Assuming your large family is comprised of a large number of kids, there is no freekin way I'd spend money on analyzing my kid's tushies to optimize a saddle.
a) They are going to grow out of the saddle within a time frame of, say, tomorrow at 11am
b) They're young and their tushies are more resilient than us more senior folk
c) Unless they're a promising Junior category riders, they don't care about the seat.

If the larger family is comprised of adults, they should be deciding on and paying for "gebiomized" fits if they want. If you are planning a long family ride and want to ensure that everyone's comfortable, there should be some preliminary training rides to ensure that their seat is good for them. Pre-analysis is ok, but is no substitute for doing training and testing rides. If you're not doing long rides, why worry about a gebioMized fit? It doesn't matter...

I'm an engineer, and I can zero in on a problem and really optimize the heck out of it. But I know I can (and often do) overanalyze a situation. It's my German genes!

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 04-02-18 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-02-18, 09:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
4/01/18, there are many smartasses, maybe that is well known?
Old 04-02-18, 09:28 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by nagarkar
I looked into the gebiomized 'dynamic' fit consultation and it is pretty expensive (> $300 per). I have a large family, many are cycling enthusiasts and I was wondering if there is a smart saddle product in the market that can do something like a saddle pressure analysis (GP Bike – gebioMized), and automatically adjust the saddle position/orientation to optimize the pressure distribution. I couldn't find anything at Amazon or my local bike supply shop. Does anyone else have this need or am I crazy?
The way the word is, it sounds like a German term.
Old 04-02-18, 09:38 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Lirpa 1 or not, as one who is also an engineer I see no reason Trek could not have built such a system to put in their shops, and if you can get your kids a ride on the carousel for a small fee, why not? Whether you go on to a custom fit and bike build is strictly up to you. But to pay a small fee for some key information? Go for it, if it's real.
Old 04-02-18, 11:08 AM
preferdownhill

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
why not get a couple cheap seat posts and some seats on ebay. then anyone can put on the seat they want. If the bikes shared, then the seat post position is being changed all the time anyway, so popping in a new seat in not a big deal. I have two seats on seatposts for my casual bike. If its a slow ride with a group I put on a wider sprung seat, but if its a faster ride usually myself I put on a more agressive seat since most weight is on my feet anyway then.
Old 04-02-18, 11:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
I like the old fashion way. You buy and try 20 different saddles and then you finally buy a Brooks and your done.
Or just go to a bent or a trike and then the source of the pain is gone forever.

The comfort saddle is no saddle at all, it is a totally comfortable sling seat like the one on my trike.

Last edited by rydabent; 04-03-18 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-02-18, 11:24 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Or just go to a bent or a trike and then the source of the pain is gone forever.
At least until you want to ride up a hill
Old 04-02-18, 12:12 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I think that it's a moot point since all saddles compress and change after you ride them a while. Unless you buy that titanium metal thing that has zero padding. But any saddle made with a padded surface or leather is going to deform/reshape as you ride. So what appears to be a perfect fit when you purchase will change over time, anyway. Just get the right width for sit bones. Besides, it's a time honored tradition to buy a bunch of saddles, lol. In your situation, maybe each person should buy a different saddle and you can swap them around until they find the perfect butts.
Old 04-02-18, 12:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,999 Times in 2,668 Posts
A silly saddle is not going to give you a fit. It may tell you something about your saddle positioning or width but probably not much more if that. A bike fit can cost money but is very worth it in the end. It addresses a lot more than just some points about your saddle.

A lot of shops now have some sort of saddle fitting tool which can at least measure sit bones and then hopefully staff there can direct you towards a better fitting saddle and sometimes they can do minor fit adjustments but a real fitting is so nice and you might reach out to your nearest fitter and see if they have any sort of family discounts or levels of fittings because maybe others in the family might not need a full comprehensive fit and just something more basic.
Old 04-02-18, 01:18 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Originally Posted by veganbikes
A silly saddle is not going to give you a fit. It may tell you something about your saddle positioning or width but probably not much more if that. A bike fit can cost money but is very worth it in the end. It addresses a lot more than just some points about your saddle.

A lot of shops now have some sort of saddle fitting tool which can at least measure sit bones and then hopefully staff there can direct you towards a better fitting saddle and sometimes they can do minor fit adjustments but a real fitting is so nice and you might reach out to your nearest fitter and see if they have any sort of family discounts or levels of fittings because maybe others in the family might not need a full comprehensive fit and just something more basic.
This is all pretty true. But your not going to jump on a horse your first time and ride off into the sunset. I can see the sitbones and bike fitting getting you into the ballpark but no guarantees. Getting your buttocks and body in shape first then finding out what works for you takes time and trial and error.
Old 04-02-18, 05:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,999 Times in 2,668 Posts
This is all pretty true. But your not going to jump on a horse your first time and ride off into the sunset. I can see the sitbones and bike fitting getting you into the ballpark but no guarantees. Getting your buttocks and body in shape first then finding out what works for you takes time and trial and error.
Sure...but I can say with my fit it really was a game changer right out of the gate. It does help to have ridden the bike a bit and get a good feeling for what you got and what may need to be changed. In my case I had ridden almost the same saddle (different rails) on two other bikes so I knew that was good it was just fixing position and height there but also my cleat position and bars and stem.
Old 04-02-18, 07:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
The nerves in your butt will tell you if you have an optimal pressure distribution.
Old 04-03-18, 06:47 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
With the gearing I have selected on my bent and trike, I ride up hills very easy. I have had bent legs going on 13 years now, and that helps too.
Old 04-03-18, 12:29 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts

Old 04-03-18, 12:46 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
How about fragranced sadddles for those poor LBS employees?
Old 04-03-18, 02:00 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
...and you know this because there are lots of hills in Detroit?
Old 04-03-18, 02:15 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

true .... on all my bikes, I have Brooks (but I've modernised .... I have the C17 Carved .... amazing saddle, especially for far distance

I've had a few Brooks leather, but it rains too much here. I've also had a Gilles Berthoud Aravis when I had a Surly LHT .... a very comfy saddle, and did not take long to break in
Old 04-03-18, 02:16 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
...and you know this because there are lots of hills in Detroit?
There are lots of hills in Northern Michigan on the last tour I went on, and folks on recumbents sure did a lot of whining about them. Some even had motors to help. Don't recall seeing an non-bent ebike.
Old 04-03-18, 03:27 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Originally Posted by dim

true .... on all my bikes, I have Brooks (but I've modernised .... I have the C17 Carved .... amazing saddle, especially for far distance

I've had a few Brooks leather, but it rains too much here. I've also had a Gilles Berthoud Aravis when I had a Surly LHT .... a very comfy saddle, and did not take long to break in
Same here. Have had a B17 and a B67 on other bikes. Now bought the new weather proof C17 and C19 carved (because I couldnt decide between the two) to replace my cloth C17 that looks WW2 vintage after 2 years use. Will experiment between the two on my full size folding Mt/Road bike because it's the only bike I can take on road with me. But I change things just to change things I think.
Old 04-03-18, 04:18 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

There are lots of hills in Northern Michigan on the last tour I went on, and folks on recumbents sure did a lot of whining about them. Some even had motors to help. Don't recall seeing an non-bent ebike.
I see a lot of Bents at the HillyHundred every year. Not mountains but some steep big hills. Never heard one Bent rider complain or use electric motors. One year the Vietnam Vets rode it after coming back from a ride across Vietnam. Many on Bents and some hand cranked the whole ride. And you want to make fun of Bents?
Old 04-03-18, 05:42 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Along with your dignity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.