Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do you guys deal with two days straight of rain/cold?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How do you guys deal with two days straight of rain/cold?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 03:22 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
It actually started raining during my ride today. It wasn't supposed to rain for another 2 hours. There is now dirt and water on my bike, clothes, and computer...
Old 02-11-19, 07:23 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
It actually started raining during my ride today. It wasn't supposed to rain for another 2 hours. There is now dirt and water on my bike, clothes, and computer...
hahaha. that pesky rain. we’re about to get more practice in the next week as well. now I want bbq.
Old 02-11-19, 08:35 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
I've ridden 20 miles at -15F on a sunny calm day and it wasn't that bad. All you need is the right gear.
Well that's the real issue here, most of us don't have that gear. Even where I am inland, a day with a high temp below 50º is fairly uncommon, and it wasn't unusual to have less than 20 rainy days in an entire year.

But right now it's 28º, we already have 3" of rain for the month of February, and 6 of the next 10 days are forecast for rain. I'm getting miles in by riding by Weather Underground-- I've managed to squeeze rides in where I'm in between storms several times this month. Just yesterday I got in 2 hours after it poured all morning, and after I finished, it poured for another 4 hours. The days when it's not wet aren't any easier. The air temp says 40º, which is totally manageable, but the sky is crystal clear and the sun is beating down on you, so anything in the shade is cold, and anything in the sun is hot.

If definitely come to the conclusion that I will gladly take above 90º over below 40º.
Old 02-11-19, 08:40 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I ride in the rain if it is not a downpour and the wind less than 15 mph. I also will ride in the snow if it is not too heavy, too icy, above 20 and wind less than 20 mph. I try to do a minimum of 10 miles but sometimes cut it short. It is raining lightly today, temp mid 30s and a light NW wind. I will be riding soon.
Old 02-12-19, 12:02 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Well that's the real issue here, most of us don't have that gear. Even where I am inland, a day with a high temp below 50º is fairly uncommon, and it wasn't unusual to have less than 20 rainy days in an entire year.

But right now it's 28º, we already have 3" of rain for the month of February, and 6 of the next 10 days are forecast for rain. I'm getting miles in by riding by Weather Underground-- I've managed to squeeze rides in where I'm in between storms several times this month. Just yesterday I got in 2 hours after it poured all morning, and after I finished, it poured for another 4 hours. The days when it's not wet aren't any easier. The air temp says 40º, which is totally manageable, but the sky is crystal clear and the sun is beating down on you, so anything in the shade is cold, and anything in the sun is hot.

If definitely come to the conclusion that I will gladly take above 90º over below 40º
yes and yes
Old 02-12-19, 12:29 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
We're about to get hit with 2-4" of rain Saturday and Sunday with temps as low as 50F...
Fenders, 28c Paselas, long fingered gloves, long medium weight thermals, leg warmers plus my usual knee warmers, a spring/fall jersey in a bright color, blinkie, flashing headlight, cover over and visor on my helmet. Showers Pass rain jacket (since I have one), another jersey and arm warmers under a nylon shell if I didn't).

Last year I rode my traditional Black Friday road/gravel ride of 70 miles when it rained all day reaching the high 30s.

Ben
Old 02-12-19, 05:38 AM
alexvpaq

Bikes: A trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 days off... Wow. Imagine 6months of winter and crappy weather.

Get on the trainer or do something else. Do a good house cleanup. I'm sure you will find something to do.
Old 02-12-19, 09:32 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
This has got to be a Californian. lol
I'd give anything for 50 degrees right now.
Old 02-12-19, 10:53 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by alexvpaq
2 days off... Wow. Imagine 6months of winter and crappy weather.

Get on the trainer or do something else. Do a good house cleanup. I'm sure you will find something to do.
Yep. I got one or two decent days of riding weather in December, and none since. Sure, there are guys on fat bikes and MTB's on the local paths with good winter gear, and some people with good winter road bikes out there destroying them with the road salt and moisture, but I think my true outdoor riding season in Chicago starts in March and ends in November.
Old 02-12-19, 11:23 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

If definitely come to the conclusion that I will gladly take above 90º over below 40º.
I have a closet full of jackets. Maybe 15 in all, a lot of combinations for a lot of conditions, from a light fleece to a heavy enough down puffy to spend an unplanned night on a glacier. It's a lot of crap to buy, and a lot to store. Could have had a Di2 R3 for what these all cost. You've got a pretty good hand, all around.
Old 02-12-19, 11:25 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
Yep. I got one or two decent days of riding weather in December, and none since. Sure, there are guys on fat bikes and MTB's on the local paths with good winter gear, and some people with good winter road bikes out there destroying them with the road salt and moisture, but I think my true outdoor riding season in Chicago starts in March and ends in November.
Cross country skiing is fantastic cross training, it makes trainer workouts feel easy. Fittest people on Earth are all competitive Nordic skiers. It's great fun if you have hills.
Old 02-12-19, 01:08 PM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Cross country skiing is fantastic cross training, it makes trainer workouts feel easy. Fittest people on Earth are all competitive Nordic skiers. It's great fun if you have hills.
Well, you also need snow, right? Right now we have steady rain at about 35 F (and no snow). No way I'm riding (or skiing) in that. But tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, 43 F, and windy. Sounds like a great day for a ride.

PS I agree with you about Nordic skiing and Nordic skiers. Tremendous exercise and incredible athletes.

Last edited by gevad; 02-12-19 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added a couple of words
Old 02-13-19, 08:47 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

But right now it's 28º, we already have 3" of rain for the month of February, and 6 of the next 10 days are forecast for rain. I'm getting miles in by riding by Weather Underground-- I've managed to squeeze rides in where I'm in between storms several times this month. Just yesterday I got in 2 hours after it poured all morning, and after I finished, it poured for another 4 hours. The days when it's not wet aren't any easier.

The original post was titiled "How do you guys deal with two days straight of rain/cold?". The answer is that you can take those days off, exercise indoors or purchase the right gear. Honestly, for those rare cold days in CA, all you'd need is a long sleeve, mid-weight base layer, a water/wind resistant shell, a mid-weight pair of tights and some neoprene shoe covers. Since you won't be using them much, you could stick with the off brand or multi-sport big box store stuff and get by for about $100 and you'd be good to around the freezing mark.

If you look at the picture I posted, I'm wearing a long-sleeve Champion base layer from Target, a pullover hoodie from JCPenny, and a WalMart windbreaker. The balaklava is also a WalMart item but in your climate, you could get by with a lightweight lycra one which should cost around $6 and can serve double duty if you ever decide to hold up a convenience store . You can't see it but I'm also wearing a base layer and SportHill XC (multisport winter pants) and basic off brand ski gloves. Wool socks and neoprene shoe covers complete the ensemble. This worked for well for about and hour and a half at -15F on a sunny day.

The air temp says 40º, which is totally manageable, but the sky is crystal clear and the sun is beating down on you, so anything in the shade is cold, and anything in the sun is hot.
I've done centuries and half centuries in the early spring and late fall when there was frost on the ground when we left and the highs were in the 30s and 40s F, wearing my normal riding gear with the exceptions of a long-sleeve jersey with a short-sleeve baselayer (form fitting poly t-shirt) underneath, full finger gloves, a skull cap under my helmet and wool socks. You might shiver and sweat during the same ride but that's just part of the experience. The Ironman century (not associated with the more well-known Ironman events) in rural St. Paul warns riders to be prepared for icy or snowy conditions in early spring, yet more than 100 riders turn out every year.
Old 02-13-19, 08:48 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Layers and jackets
Old 02-14-19, 04:47 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Ride right through it. I’ve missed two days in the last two years and thats because snow made it a hazard. I’m in Louisville Ky where we had record rainfall last year and a bad start to this year.

Cold is ok. The rain sucks. Cold rain sucks the most. Feet will not stay dry, but the worst is getting all the ***damn sand/dirt/rocks off of me, my clothes, and my bike when it’s over.
Old 02-15-19, 07:43 AM
BonkonFleet

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda sl6 Disc

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
with temps as low as 50F...
Must be rough.
Old 02-15-19, 08:03 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Two days is nothing, try two or three months of this lovely weather. (4C and pouring rain currently)

Seems the weather is crap just about everywhere in the northern hemisphere?

Not a fan of riding the hamster wheel, so I'll wait till it dries out a bit.

Sunshine would be welcome, its been awhile.
Old 02-15-19, 08:40 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

This uh... this is where the trail used to be. This pic was taken on Wednesday, and we got a bit over 3" of rain on Thursday, so I'm thinking the situation has not improved.

Out on the pavement, the amount of road debris is really quite something. Regardless, with luck on my side I'm gonna get out there for a couple of hours in between rain bursts.

Y'all are used to this kinda stuff elsewhere, but you have to look at it from our perspective-- 6.5" of rain so far in February, and we got ~13.5" for all of 2018.
Old 02-15-19, 09:27 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Raining ... training ride for rainy races

Pick a route without heavy car traffic, avoid low areas that might flood, ride bike with fenders & lights, and wear rain jacket & wool.

OR if you will DNS a race/ride in the rain, then you can take some rest days or cross-train or indoor trainer or look out the window with a sad face

Reference: the 2018 Westside Dirty Benjamin:

Flooding caused washouts on the roads and forced rerouting of the finishing segment along the river bottoms (under a few feet of water).

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 02-15-19 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-15-19, 07:36 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
^ Yeah no. ^

With my luck, I'd get 3 consecutive flats just to add insult to injury on a ride like that.

There was a time I thought riding in inclement conditions was a great idea, at least there is no traffic.

I can rest in peace, under a few feet of water even.
Old 02-18-19, 02:18 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I've always found it amusing that rain discourages so many people -- it's not like the vast majority of people find taking a shower to be a traumatizing event.

But this behavior is hardly peculiar to cyclists. I've noticed practically no one will go swimming or waterskiing when it's raining even if there's zero chance of lightning -- apparently, they don't want to get wet...
Old 02-18-19, 03:03 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

You have to realize that here-- in what is ostensibly a coastal desert-- it goes long, long stretches without raining, and then gives us the whole shebang in a few days. A big chunk of the 111 into Palm Springs is just gone, and the 38 near me has at least one closed bridge and some missing bits.

Add to that that almost no one here knows how to competently operate a motor vehicle as soon as the ground gets wet, and sometimes it's just better to stay home.

Old 02-18-19, 04:44 PM
chicagogal

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Full on rain (not drizzle, light fog, mist, etc) cancels a ride for me. If it rains during ride, well, then it rains. I have been caught in downpours plenty of times and it isn't so horrible. In fact, on a hot day, some rain feels nice. I just don't like when brakes start to fail due to the wet conditions or when my prescription cycling glasses become impossible to see through. That's unsettling. I also don't like wet/cold - especially descending in wet/cold.

In the winter, bad weather means training indoors. It isn't so bad, as I can do my structured intervals better indoors than outside.

In the summer, it is just too hot for me to ride indoors, so rain means a rest day.
Old 02-19-19, 02:49 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Add to that that almost no one here knows how to competently operate a motor vehicle as soon as the ground gets wet, and sometimes it's just better to stay home.
I shouldn't be chucking stones. Despite being known for its rainy climate, people do not know how to drive in rain in Portland, OR and whine when light sprinkles fall from the sky (which is often).

You should see the mayhem that results in when we get a single inch of snow. Continuous news coverage, grocery stores get looted, cars bumping into each other, public transit totally hosed.
Old 02-20-19, 08:05 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I shouldn't be chucking stones. Despite being known for its rainy climate, people do not know how to drive in rain in Portland, OR and whine when light sprinkles fall from the sky (which is often).

You should see the mayhem that results in when we get a single inch of snow. Continuous news coverage, grocery stores get looted, cars bumping into each other, public transit totally hosed.

Wow! That sounds like Alabama.

It's been raining off and on for a couple of weeks with no end in sight. I've been hiking with a rain jacket so I stay dry but I really need to get a gym membership or try that set of rollers somebody gave me just to get some kind of exercise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.