Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Nuvinci/Enviolo shifting setup is complete crap

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-23, 02:45 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

Unlike other bike shifters, you cannot use force when shifting but have to be really delicate like it is a slider. It is more like a slider control than most bike shifters. Meaning that it is easily damaged this way. It uses crappy plastic cogs and small delicate parts hold the cable in place.

It's also only available in a twist shifter which is my least favorite shifter setup.

Otherwise it's a good concept for a igh hub, especially since you can't "mis-shift" like other igh hubs can happen.
Old 10-01-23, 03:02 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
Internal geared hubs require you to be the clutch. You can become faster with practice. I have a Rohloff IGH and it is quite fast. You need to time the shift with a very short backing off of the pressure on the pedals. Derailers were not always as easy as they are today. I missed shift could destroy the derailer and do frame damage. Have you actually damaged the hub or shifter. I would be surprised if you did.
Old 10-01-23, 03:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Don’t understand. Show us some photos of your bike.
Old 10-02-23, 06:49 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Other gearing systems - IGH, derailleurs, BB gearboxes - have discrete gears. You have to overcome the detent and the friction and the spring force to shift, then the system plops you into a different drive ratio, some defined interval from the last.

The Enviolo is a CVT. The desmodromic Enviolo shifter is "delicate" to allow the rider to super fine-tune the gear ratio in minuscule increments.

Work with it rather than against it.
Likes For tcs:
Old 10-02-23, 02:06 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Other gearing systems - IGH, derailleurs, BB gearboxes - have discrete gears. You have to overcome the detent and the friction and the spring force to shift, then the system plops you into a different drive ratio, some defined interval from the last.

The Enviolo is a CVT. The desmodromic Enviolo shifter is "delicate" to allow the rider to super fine-tune the gear ratio in minuscule increments.

Work with it rather than against it.

It doesn't really super fine tune it however. There is too much give in the cable. Also of the cogs inside are plastic and they do not feel precise.
Old 10-02-23, 02:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Enviolo is great, having have sold it for 10 years+ and ridden it a bunch in that time, we have had few issues with the system. Certainly yes you do need cables at the proper tension like a derailleur and it is two cables and you don't need to be rough with it but that isn't really an issue. Saying it is a problem because of those facts is just silly.

I would happily consider an Enviolo system on a bike without question. The only thing I do not love personally but love the idea of is the Automatiq system.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-07-23, 04:56 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Using Citibike with the choice of Enviolo, Shimano Nexus, and Sram, I reach for the Enviolo every single time. The infinitely adjustable gearing is great.
Old 10-09-23, 06:03 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Yeah, Enviolo works fine, but it is not a high-performance drivetrain in the road racing spirit. Complaining about Enviolo performance is like carping about a Cadillac DeVille being a lousy track car. Enviolo and DeVille are good at what they do, but neither do “slam and jam.”

I’ve ridden Enviolo on ebike, and am impressed that the hubs must be durable to manage the higher demands— weight, torque, power— of ebikes, on which they’re commonly spec’d.
Old 10-14-23, 08:13 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
Derailers were not always as easy as they are today. I missed shift could destroy the derailer and do frame damage.
A misadjusted derailleur can do damage, but not a "missed shift".
If the low limit screw "L" was set wrong, or the bike was dropped on the drive side damaging the derailleur, it can end up in the spokes.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html