Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Alternative to Brooks B17

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Alternative to Brooks B17

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-23, 06:43 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
I'm a big fan of the B.17, but the other saddles I've had and liked a lot are:

Selle Italia Turbomatic (Turbo shape with little rubber bumpers where the frame met the shell.)
Selle San Marco Concor (Great on mountain bikes, because of the "duck tail" shape, which was great for long, slow, grinding climbs.)
Selle San Marco Rolls (Close to, maybe even tied with, the B.17 for a drop-bar road bike saddle.)

All that said, every body is different, and there's no cheap way to find what yours likes best. There are some that seem to work for a lot of people, but for every saddle that "everyone loves", there's gonna be a minority report of "total ass hatchet... I called for a ride home, and had taken it off the bike becore they got there." Also, your position on the bike will matter as well, as will how hard you tend to ride.

--Shannon
Old 10-15-23, 01:35 PM
jkinner

Bikes: Thorn Nomad, Haibike XDuro Trekking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Go here: https://www.bikeseatguru.com/
Old 10-15-23, 04:41 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by jkinner
Looks like an interesting site...thanks
Old 10-15-23, 05:34 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The problem with your question is not stating what issues you are having with a B17.

If you have no pain, numbness, any other issues the answers are yes, almost any other non leather saddle is lighter, but who knows what is better.

I rode a Brooks Team Pro for many years. I was getting some numbness on longer rides, I went to WTB Pure V that I use on my MTB. It was a bit better and I’ve ridden a lot of miles on it. I just went to Selle SMP Well that seems to be a bit better yet.

But because the Brooks and Selle are not comparable designs there are no dots to connect to make a recommendation. There is a trial and error process.

John
Old 10-15-23, 07:43 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The problem with your question is not stating what issues you are having with a B17.

If you have no pain, numbness, any other issues the answers are yes, almost any other non leather saddle is lighter, but who knows what is better.

I rode a Brooks Team Pro for many years. I was getting some numbness on longer rides, I went to WTB Pure V that I use on my MTB. It was a bit better and I’ve ridden a lot of miles on it. I just went to Selle SMP Well that seems to be a bit better yet.

But because the Brooks and Selle are not comparable designs there are no dots to connect to make a recommendation. There is a trial and error process.

John
Hi John,
My original posting clearly said I am not having any problems but I'm always looking for a better alternative. Your comments, though, are appreciated...thanks!
Old 10-16-23, 11:10 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Check out the Selle Anatomica R2. If you're feeling flush, get it with the carbon rails upgrade.
Likes For tcs:
Old 10-16-23, 12:24 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The last Brooks B17 saddle I bought was in 1970 and a friend removed the rivets and softened the leather and then riveted back on the frame. I used this saddle for the following 45 years. With every new bike I bought a synthetic saddle that would not require a break-in period. Thousands to choose from and I like to buy them from a reseller where returns are easy to do.
Old 10-16-23, 06:10 PM
oldwinger14

Originally Posted by tcs
Check out the Selle Anatomica R2. If you're feeling flush, get it with the carbon rails upgrade.
Unless I get caught in unexpected shower, I rarey ever ride in the rain. Are there other reasons why I should choose the rubber R2 model over the leather X2?
Old 10-16-23, 06:30 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
Unless I get caught in unexpected shower, I rarey ever ride in the rain. Are there other reasons why I should choose the rubber R2 model over the leather X2?
It's possible the R2 does not stretch, the leather saddles will and require the occasional tightening. Leather breathes to an extent and will be less sweaty in the heat.

They have been very good responding to my questions and I'm sure will be happy to give you pros/cons of the two series.
Old 10-16-23, 11:36 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen

I tried the carved C15 on the road bike and it may be too narrow and/or maybe too flexible. Doesn’t seem as well suited. It’s just a matter of bothering to swap the C17 to the road bike and try it out, I suppose.

Otto
I wonder if the carved nature makes it more flexible. I have the non carved C15 (i.e. no cutout) and it's nice and firm. Doesn't flex more than I'd want it to, and is super comfy for me.
Old 10-17-23, 06:48 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
Are there other reasons why I should choose the rubber R2 model over the leather X2?
In post no. 1, you said you weren't looking for another leather saddle.

The Selle Anatomicas' geometry aren't too far afield from the Brooks B17 you said you were happy with (also in post no. 1).
Old 10-17-23, 08:34 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
I wonder if the carved nature makes it more flexible. I have the non carved C15 (i.e. no cutout) and it's nice and firm. Doesn't flex more than I'd want it to, and is super comfy for me.
It’s possible. I can try the C17 out on my road bike at some point. If it seems ok, fine. If it seems too wide for lower riding posture, the regular C15 may be a better pick.

Otto