Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Gravel bikes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Gravel bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 10:26 PM
JANEWELLER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gravel bikes

Is the future 650b size wheels for gravel bikes and smaller riders? And is a 650c wheel just a narrower rim size?
Old 03-01-18, 10:53 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
It's a smaller diameter, not necessarily narrower. Gravel bikes with disc brakes can use a 650b wheel set and run a wider tire, wider tires are also taller. So this can keep the overall wheel/tire diameter similar to a 700c wheel with a narrower tire.
Old 03-02-18, 09:37 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
And very few 650c tires available that aren't in the skinny category.
Old 03-04-18, 07:09 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
It's a smaller diameter, not necessarily narrower. Gravel bikes with disc brakes can use a 650b wheel set and run a wider tire, wider tires are also taller. So this can keep the overall wheel/tire diameter similar to a 700c wheel with a narrower tire.
It's a trend I'm enjoying because it allows reasonable tire widths.
Old 03-05-18, 07:06 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I'm 6-3 and having a 650b wheelset built up right now. With 42mm tires it will have the same diameter as a 700c wheel with 23mm tires, just a whole lot more air and, at lower tire pressure, a bigger contact patch.
Old 03-05-18, 10:53 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,232 Posts
Welcome to BF @JANEWELLER.

The 650B wheels have found proponents beyond 'gravel' applications. Some would say that riding with loaded panniers also suits 650B. Which opens a debate about low-trail geometry, fork characteristics, etc.
Old 03-06-18, 08:22 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
650C and 650B don't really have much in common. They're completely different beasts, despite the name.

650C is for smaller riders, in fact many female triathletes use it instead of 700C. As others have pointed out, 650c tires and rims tend to be narrow, so think of it as a smaller version of narrow 700C road tires. This is crucial for getting an aero position with aerobars over the front wheel for smaller riders.

650B rims also have a smaller diameter but the rims and tires are wide, resulting in a wheel size quite similar to narrow 700C tires. The main objective there is to provide more air volume to deal with rough surfaces.

Riding with other cyclists, I find that other cyclists tend to be stronger mid-ride but get exhausted towards the end while I fade less with the increased comfort of 650B tires on my Elephant NFE with 605Bx42mm Compass tires.

I worry less about getting stuck in ruts or sewer grates. There's a definite safety gain even on tarmac. I have been continuing a "Century-A-Month" challenge for 67 consecutive months. The major requirement for that has been not to get seriously injured. If you don't want to break any bones, wide tires are the way to go!

Another little appreciated benefit is the reduced risk of punctures with high volume, low pressure tires. I went for 20 months without punctures (about 13,000 km / 8,000 mi) over the last two years with Compass Babyshoe Pass EL tires, even though they don't have any energy-sucking puncture-guard strips but are built like race tires (only wider).
Old 03-10-18, 11:24 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Find tires first. You may even want to pick up an extra set.

On the other hand, the internet has made it much easier to find obscure parts than it used to be. Somebody will have a warehouse full of 650b tires and they're only a click away.
Old 03-11-18, 12:59 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by joewein
Riding with other cyclists, I find that other cyclists tend to be stronger mid-ride but get exhausted towards the end while I fade less with the increased comfort of 650B tires on my Elephant NFE with 605Bx42mm Compass tires.

I worry less about getting stuck in ruts or sewer grates. There's a definite safety gain even on tarmac. I have been continuing a "Century-A-Month" challenge for 67 consecutive months. The major requirement for that has been not to get seriously injured. If you don't want to break any bones, wide tires are the way to go!

Another little appreciated benefit is the reduced risk of punctures with high volume, low pressure tires. I went for 20 months without punctures (about 13,000 km / 8,000 mi) over the last two years with Compass Babyshoe Pass EL tires, even though they don't have any energy-sucking puncture-guard strips but are built like race tires (only wider).
Been using the EL 48's for the last few months on my bike setup tubeless. Pretty happy with them. Good for noodling around offroad also. I agree with your comment re less fatigue at the end of a long ride.

Recently purchased the tubeless EL 42's for a new wheel build. I think they'll hit the sweet spot on the road.