Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Breezer Inversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 11:14 PM
K2S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Breezer Inversion

Anyone own one of these or have any experience with them? Even though I have both aluminum bikes and a nice BMC carbon bike, I’m always partial to steel bikes, especially for their pliant ride and versatility. The Inversion seems like it would be a good gravel bike and all around ride, but just wanted to see what others thought. I wish it had clearance for wider tires, but 38mm is probably adequate for most of the gravel roads around here.
Old 03-27-18, 07:57 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by K2S
Anyone own one of these or have any experience with them? Even though I have both aluminum bikes and a nice BMC carbon bike, I’m always partial to steel bikes, especially for their pliant ride and versatility. The Inversion seems like it would be a good gravel bike and all around ride, but just wanted to see what others thought. I wish it had clearance for wider tires, but 38mm is probably adequate for most of the gravel roads around here.
If you wish for more tire clearance, you should go for a bike that has it, imo.

Aside from that, the bike looks nice.

Last edited by dgodave; 03-27-18 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-27-18, 08:57 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Tire clearance was the reason I crossed this one off my list! It seems like a pretty great bike if you can get past that, tho.
Old 03-27-18, 12:41 PM
K2S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can’t disagree, tire clearance is one thing you can’t upgrade. Another better option might be the All City Cosmic Stallion, but they aren’t available and are pricier.
Old 03-29-18, 05:41 PM
desert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K2S
I have one on order, after researching obsessively for months. I'll let you know what I think of it when I get it. Confirmation bias will lead me to report that it's wonderful, but I'll attempt to be as honest as I can be.
Old 04-01-18, 07:45 PM
K2S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by desert
I have one on order, after researching obsessively for months. I'll let you know what I think of it when I get it. Confirmation bias will lead me to report that it's wonderful, but I'll attempt to be as honest as I can be.
I’m tempted to order a 2017 as they seem to be a good deal right now. I like the 2018 colors better though. Look forward to hear what you think when you get yours!
Old 04-01-18, 08:01 PM
desert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K2S
I’m tempted to order a 2017 as they seem to be a good deal right now. I like the 2018 colors better though. Look forward to hear what you think when you get yours!
It's too early for me to give a complete review, but my first impressions after picking the bike up Saturday are:
1. The component mix performs extremely well. Most of the readers here probably already ride components of this quality, but this level is a bit new for me. I really appreciate the brakes and the shifting.
2. The fit is a bit tough with this bike. For folks around my height (6 ft, 1/2 inch), there is a decision to be made between a 54 (L) and a 57 (XL). At first I was leaning toward the 54, and I was ok with the reach dimension, but the stack was very short for my needs. So I ended up opting for the 57. So far I think I made the right choice. I'm very comfortable riding on the horizontal bars. The brake hood position is pretty aggressive (for an old guy like me). Strangely, the drops, with the flared handlebars feel very good, particularly with a headwind. But then the saddle starts to wear on the wrong parts in that position. So position-wise, I'm still evaluating. And of course that will vary from rider to rider.
3. I love how the tires and frame combine to deliver a comfortable ride.

That's all I have so far, I'll come back later with more details and some photos.
Old 04-03-18, 08:06 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I looked at these. They have a fairly plain Jane steel frame and the BB86 was a deal killer for me. The similar Raleigh Tamland 2 has a nicer 631 frame with a threaded BB and comes with Rival 1, which I really like. I also costs a lot less, especially with the corporate discount.
Old 04-03-18, 09:47 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I looked at these. They have a fairly plain Jane steel frame and the BB86 was a deal killer for me. The similar Raleigh Tamland 2 has a nicer 631 frame with a threaded BB and comes with Rival 1, which I really like. I also costs a lot less, especially with the corporate discount.
What is the current price of the tamland and what is the current code? I haven't been able to see the discounted prices for a while now..
Old 04-03-18, 08:17 PM
desert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand the dislike for the BB86, but the frame construction is the highlight of the Inversion. Heat treating after welding is a step forward, providing more strength/pound than many other steel frames. Welding heat treated tubes, weakening them with the weld-affected zone, is effectively a waste of good steel tube properties. Also, I'll never ride another Raleigh frame, after my mtb experience with a cracked frame. Raleigh quality isn't great, in my opinion. But they are cheap. Also, the Tamland weighs a full 2 lbs more than the Breezer.

Last edited by desert; 04-03-18 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 07:46 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Welding heat treated tubes, weakening them with the weld-affected zone, is effectively a waste of good steel tube properties.
631 air hardens, so this point isn't exactly valid. Also, the construction on the Tamland is hardly low quality.
Old 04-04-18, 01:11 PM
desert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
631 air hardens, so this point isn't exactly valid. Also, the construction on the Tamland is hardly low quality.
Hey, sorry I was negative about your bike. I had one bad experience with a Raleigh bike, so your post hit a sore spot. My comments regarding Raleigh frames were aimed at their AL frames, so I shouldn't have brought that up in this discussion. You're correct, the air hardening should improve the strength of the weld area. I looked at this bike a bit more today, and it looks just fine. Interestingly, the geometry is very similar to the Breezer. It costs $500 less. The higher price on the Breezer gets one hydraulic disks, Ultegra componentry, and 2 lbs less weight. I think that's worth it for me, but they both look like fine bikes.

What size bike do you have?
Old 04-05-18, 07:58 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

...and the BB86 was a deal killer for me...
I understand the dislike for the BB86....
Whats wrong with BB86 ?
Old 04-05-18, 08:43 PM
desert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave
Whats wrong with BB86 ?
There have been some reports of creaking, with press-fit bottom brackets. Threaded bottom brackets can be disassembled, greased, etc. in an effort to stop any creaking. I haven't seen any statistics (failure rate) on this, I've just seen anecdotes. Also, the best frame material to support a robust press fit is steel, so I'm more comfortable with the BB86 in a steel frame than in any other material. Press fit BB's give the frame designer more flexibility to build in the optimum combination of light weight and stiffness. As with all designs, it's a compromise; higher performance versus a perceived risk. I'll side with Shimano on this one, particularly with a steel frame.
Old 04-07-18, 09:09 AM
zimdba

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 3.1 Shimano

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
What is the current price of the tamland and what is the current code? I haven't been able to see the discounted prices for a while now..
I don't know what the current codes are, but the Tamland 2 is $1499 and the Tamland 1 is $1349. I don't know if it's trending up or down. However, the Roker Sport is $1299 which is $70 more than I paid last year at this time.
Old 04-07-18, 10:35 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by zimdba
I don't know what the current codes are, but the Tamland 2 is $1499 and the Tamland 1 is $1349. I don't know if it's trending up or down. However, the Roker Sport is $1299 which is $70 more than I paid last year at this time.
Wow that is way more than I paid a year and a half ago.
Old 04-07-18, 10:41 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

There have been some reports of creaking, with press-fit bottom brackets. Threaded bottom brackets can be disassembled, greased, etc. in an effort to stop any creaking. I haven't seen any statistics (failure rate) on this, I've just seen anecdotes. Also, the best frame material to support a robust press fit is steel, so I'm more comfortable with the BB86 in a steel frame than in any other material. Press fit BB's give the frame designer more flexibility to build in the optimum combination of light weight and stiffness. As with all designs, it's a compromise; higher performance versus a perceived risk. I'll side with Shimano on this one, particularly with a steel frame.
Ah I see. Thanks.
Old 04-09-18, 06:30 AM
K2S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I understand the dislike for the BB86, but the frame construction is the highlight of the Inversion. Heat treating after welding is a step forward, providing more strength/pound than many other steel frames. Welding heat treated tubes, weakening them with the weld-affected zone, is effectively a waste of good steel tube properties. Also, I'll never ride another Raleigh frame, after my mtb experience with a cracked frame. Raleigh quality isn't great, in my opinion. But they are cheap. Also, the Tamland weighs a full 2 lbs more than the Breezer.
Ok, thanks for the initial impressions of your Inversion, I’m very close to picking one up myself. I was this close to buying a Tamland 2 before I saw this. I do like the SRAM 1x of the Tamland better, and the wider tire clearance is a plus, but it is a little heavier. The Tamland seems like the better bike if most of your riding is on gravel and dirt, but I’m looking at this bike as more 50/50, paved and gravel, so I’m thinking the Inversion might be the better all around choice, especially with the 2x setup for bit more range on the higher end. And even though I’ve had squeaky BB86 bottom brackets before, I think a steel frame will be less likely to have problems. Have you noticed any creaking on yours yet?
Old 04-09-18, 06:36 AM
K2S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, sorry I was negative about your bike. I had one bad experience with a Raleigh bike, so your post hit a sore spot. My comments regarding Raleigh frames were aimed at their AL frames, so I shouldn't have brought that up in this discussion. You're correct, the air hardening should improve the strength of the weld area. I looked at this bike a bit more today, and it looks just fine. Interestingly, the geometry is very similar to the Breezer. It costs $500 less. The higher price on the Breezer gets one hydraulic disks, Ultegra componentry, and 2 lbs less weight. I think that's worth it for me, but they both look like fine bikes.

I can probably agree that some Raleighs might not be on a par in construction with some other higher end brands, but I have a couple of modern Raleighs that have been solid performers for years, including a belt drive Misceo 4.0 that has been my daily commuter across multiple cities, it's awesome in any weather. Since the Breezer is a similar price point, I'd like to get your opinion on the quality of construction on your Inversion. How clean are the welds? Any noticeable squeaks? How is the ride over rough roads and gravel? How's the quality of the paint? Just being inquisitive, since I don't have a chance to see one in person.
Old 04-09-18, 10:59 AM
desert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K2S
I can probably agree that some Raleighs might not be on a par in construction with some other higher end brands, but I have a couple of modern Raleighs that have been solid performers for years, including a belt drive Misceo 4.0 that has been my daily commuter across multiple cities, it's awesome in any weather. Since the Breezer is a similar price point, I'd like to get your opinion on the quality of construction on your Inversion. How clean are the welds? Any noticeable squeaks? How is the ride over rough roads and gravel? How's the quality of the paint? Just being inquisitive, since I don't have a chance to see one in person.
A few more details: Yes, the weld quality appears very good, and the finish is very high quality. It isn't flashy though, so doesn't attract the attention of, say, a new Specialized carbon frame. Also, regarding frame design, the end product is much more complex than choice of material. I like the work Breeze put into the details of this frame. For example, the shape of the top tube changes at it approaches the intersection with the head tube, to allow more linear weld area in that critical location. He went with a post mount disk caliper in the back, rather than flat mount, to spread the large brake loads between the seat stay and chain stay, allowing him to thin and lighten those tubes.

The ride quality is great, but I give as much credit to the tires as I do the frame. The 34c tires just soak up the bumps, even at the max 80 psi. The frame probably contributes some as well, but I'm a big fan of wide tires and their resulting ride quality. Speaking of tires, I really like this choice in tire. At 80 psi on the road, they ride on the smooth center like a road tire. But there is some tread on the side for off road.

I think the high level components bring a lot of value at this price point. I could have had a carbon Damone at this price point, but I'd be trading component level for the carbon frame and isospeed. I prefer the shock absorbing qualities of this particular combination of tires and frame, along with the robustness of steel, along with all the rack and water bottle mounts.

There is no creaking or noise of any kind so far. But it's early yet. I'll report back with any problems, but for now it rides great.
Old 04-09-18, 03:22 PM
Hiro11

I don't have a Tamland, Lol.