Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I am not as strong as I want to believe.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I am not as strong as I want to believe.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-23, 06:02 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Simply solution is to just go slower. If you go slower then it is easier to do any ride. Every rider is different, and everyone has different equipment so feeling bad about where you place in competition against other riders in racing or on the "stoplight GrandPrix" is the problem. I am in my 60s and why should I feel bad that I finished behind a third of the riders in the last race I did ??? Some who were faster were younger, some older, all of them had newer or more expensive equipment than I did. I am my own class and there is no other cyclist in it and I finish first every time as long as I have fun riding.

Damn I am brilliant.............
Old 06-27-23, 06:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I know I don't have to beat everybody out there. But it is kind of deflating when I'm putting some work into these grades and some guy passes me like he's on his way to grandma's house for Sunday brunch. At least that's what it looked/felt like to me.
So much wrong here ....

He might have been a pro-level rider out training, or just someone who ride that route daily and was good at it. As others have said, comparing against others ...

The classic reversal of this really makes it clear, IMO. How many times has someone passed another rider, thinking "I really aced that guy .... I blew by him like he was dying ... and him all decked out in his team colors ..." not realizing he just blew buy some guy doing recovery miles home from the finish line of a 150-mile race, which he won ......

Not sucking wind. I don't have asthma. It's just that I'm putting all the power I can into pushing the crank down while the bike (and me) is going up. Honestly, sometimes, I'm pushing down so hard on the pedals that I need to pull up on the bars at the same time.
Well, if you are going hard, what more do you want? If you want to be faster than everyone else .... you are silly. Only one person on the planet is the fastest cyclist over a given route, and I guarantee you it is not you or me. Some people are just gifted genetically ... Unless you are both a phenomenal natural athlete and have the time and sponsorship and support team to train non-stop, you are never going to be the fastest ......

And again, turn it around. The day you ride that route and blaze by some lady on a bike ... She is probably fretting about how she is working as hard as she can, and now this other person passed her like it was easy ...... best to race only yourself, or don't take it very seriously, unless you know in advance that it is a fair match. (IMO.)

There aren't a lot of big hills in my immediate area. One of the reasons I take a bike whenever I go in Vegas is for more variety. Where I live, it's not flat, but it's more rolling hills.
This is the hear of the matter, IMO.

A while back I signed up for an LA-DC tour which, obviously involved a ton of climbing. I live in Flatahoma, where highway overpasses are considered mountainous terrain. I trained hard, but when I hit real hills ..... Yeah, it was a couple weeks before I could keep up when the road tilted up.

The best I can recommend is hill repeats .... and a host of breathing techniques, plus learning pacing, and all that ..... by the fifth time up the hill you will probably have a better understanding of how hard to push to sustain overall maximum speed, as opposed to maximum burst speed .... and for burst speed, do hill intervals .... ride up the hill as fast as you can, ride only halfway down (less recovery) and go again .... keep pushing and keep shortening the descent/climb until you fall over.

In my experience, it is true that only by riding hills can you gain the capacity to ride hills. Maybe find the hilliest route you can within driving distance, or just find the longest, steepest hill and two or three times a week just ride that hill, over and over.

Or something else. I am no expert.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 06-27-23, 06:40 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don't think having 20++ years is necessary to be competitive. Those guys were probably fast or faster than they are today after only 3 or 4 years consistent training. It's just that guys are more likely to keep riding competitively long term if they were competitive in their early years. People tend to do things they are naturally good at. The old-school thought was that you needed many years in the peloton to become a competitive Grand Tour rider. But that model has been smashed in recent years by the youngsters.

What really matters is your genetics and commitment to consistent training. The only thing I do notice is the difference in bike handling skills between guys who rode a lot as kids vs those who only started riding as adults. I know some super strong riders who started riding in their 30s and 40s and their bike handling skills are pretty clunky at best. It's the same with skiing. Adult learners almost always look robotic, even when they have decades of experience. Those who start young just look more natural. I think that applies to most sports involving some level of skill/balance.

Sorry, drifting a bit OT, but for the OP I wouldn't worry about not having decades of riding experience. That in itself is unlikely to hold you back very much over the next decade.
I'm just saying that you don't know the history of the person blowing you off the road...
Old 06-27-23, 08:03 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I joined a road club in 1989, still ride with them but it's mostly new people. I was 220# then and soon realized I would never be able to climb with climbers who were 70 pounds lighter than I am. Or the mountain goat women who were 100 or 120 pounds lighter. Never.

I have met some pretty good climbers over 200 pounds but they are rare. Watts per kilogram is what makes a fast climber. You either make more power or you lose weight. Some people haul ass on the flats but drop way back on climbs.

Trying a double century with 10K feet of climbing seems ambitious at this point. Have you done a century with 5K feet yet? Best to take small steps to a double, maybe a bunch of century rides first. You get to know your body, how to eat and drink, how to pace yourself, etc.

I climb about 300,000 feet per year, at least, in minimum 5000 miles. It's not really all that much, there are recreational riders who do a lot more, even a million feet.
I'm 69 years old and there are riders in my club who are older (a little) and can drop me easily in the hills. I'm ok with that and mostly want to enjoy the ride and not feel like crap afterward.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-27-23, 08:09 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist

I'm no slouch. I once went on a ride with a recently retired pro, on one of the longer/steeper climbs, he shot up ahead to the top, rolled back down, then rode up a second time, getting in two complete climbs in around the same time our bunch took to get up there once!
If I do a climb Phil Gaimon has Strava'd, I expect to take around double his time as a ballpark estimate.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-27-23, 08:14 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Unless you're the fastest, there will always be someone faster than you. Don't worry about it and go at your own pace.
Old 06-27-23, 08:17 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I like using someone as a rabbit from time to time but the bottom line is that you need to know yourself and ride your own ride. That said, being motivated to get in better shape is a good thing.
Old 06-27-23, 09:13 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
@VegasJen , It's possible that your gearing is too high. Hard to talk in specifics without knowing your bike's gears and your body type or strengths/weaknesses. I only mention it because you said you're pushing so hard on the pedals and it's still sometimes not enough. One thing that's pretty objective is that human legs tend to work most efficiently in the range of about 60-100 RPM. If you're climbing a hill steep enough that you can't get your RPM up to at least 50, you might consider getting a smaller chainring and/or larger cog.

Otherwise, the encouragement I'd like to offer you is this: keep showing up and pushing hard. Your best effort might be far short of what you'd like, and might seem terribly weak compared to others. Doesn't matter. The thing that matters is to keep trying. It's not supposed to be easy; if it were, it would not have any value. Some fortunate, gifted individuals can make rapid fitness improvement, but the vast majority of us have to struggle long and hard to improve. If you keep after it, you WILL improve; be patient.

One more thing. There is no shame in walking your bike up a hill. Maybe you think drivers passing by will snicker at you for being so weak. Remind yourself that they're sitting on their fat butts inside steel and glass boxes, using machines to move them up the hill, and slowly dying. Maybe you don't like other riders to see you walking. They should know that they have a lot in common with you--both of you went for a ride rather than choosing some lazy unproductive activity. No matter how you get up the hill, the thing that counts is the fact that you did it. Sometimes your bike carries you up, and sometimes you push it up. If you walk up every hill greater than 2% slope and only ride the flats or very mild ascents, you still rode your bike! That's still a win. Someday you will make it over the hills that are impossible to you now, and you will easily conquer the ones that are difficult now.
Old 06-27-23, 09:16 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
If I do a climb Phil Gaimon has Strava'd, I expect to take around double his time as a ballpark estimate.
Yep - Mt Mitchell climb, ole Phil was well over 2x faster. His VAM was 1120, mine around 520.

Some young buck passed me on the road leading to the climb - I still had an hour++ to go when he passed me coming back down the mountain.
Old 06-27-23, 09:36 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
But it is kind of deflating when I'm putting some work into these grades and some guy passes me like he's on his way to grandma's house for Sunday brunch. At least that's what it looked/felt like to me.
Keep in mind that it might have supposed to feel like that. He could have greatly increased his speed to blow past you while taking steps to appear casual and like he isn't dying inside. Hold the speed until you're out of sight. Its a classic strategy
Old 06-27-23, 09:40 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
On a January January morning of a long time ago I found myself standing with a company of other young men, freezing cold, and teeth chattering. I had been in the Army for nearly a year, doing PT every day, going to the gym in the afternoons, and running on weekends. I was young, lean, and fit.

This day was the first day of “RIP,” a three week selection course for the Rangers. I had ben preparing for this training for nearly two years, and judged myself more than ready for it. I was not.

A man a few years older than myself came to the platform in front of us, putting out his cigarette as he climbed the steps. He put us through a course of PT that pushed me harder than I had ever been pushed. I did pushups to the point of collapse, and was run until I was throwing up next to the road. I, who got a perfect score on my previous PT test, was shamed. The older, cigarette-smoking PT instructor did more push ups than I did, and ran up and down the formation, and barely broke a sweat.

No matter how good you may think yourself at anything, there are indeed people much better. Of that company of young men I stood with that morning, less than one in three were still there three weeks later.
guess I should start smoking again.
Old 06-27-23, 11:17 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Something that happens to me all the time: I pass another rider like they were standing still, instantly gap them and disappear into the distance. WHILE THIS IS HAPPENING, another rider passes ME like I'M standing still, instantly gaps me, and disappears into the distance.

Rarely have I been able to catch someone who has passed me like I was standing still, and if I do it's because they were doing intervals and were on the hard segment when they passed me and I catch them during the recovery segment.

You get used to it. It doesn't mean you're slow. It just means they're faster.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-27-23, 04:29 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It doesn't mean you're slow. It just means they're faster.

Love that! So true.
Old 06-27-23, 08:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Wait, you climbed a steep-ass hill without stopping and you're complaining???

If your body is better at weightlifting, maybe there's a way to use that.

Also, there's this fairly steep, hilly ride nearby that regularly kicked my butt; pick a landmark to pedal to, stop and breathe, pick another landmark, etc. After commuting on my pancake flat route for a few months, making sure to work, no spinning or mashing, I was genuinely shocked when I rode that route without stopping and in my second-to-last gear! So just keep pedaling; you'll get there.
Old 06-27-23, 11:16 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
I appreciate a lot of the input, guys. Yes, I am like so many of us, genetically very average. And I come from a family where we're all fairly short and stocky, not exactly world class cyclist form. I'm 5'4", so pretty average height, but as already stated, I'm pretty stocky. Even with as much as I work out, I'm still on the wrong side of 150 (but that's mostly because my diet is $**t).

I think the thing that really gets to me is when I'm feeling strong and something like this happens. I know I shouldn't compare myself to anybody else, but seriously, who hasn't? Who hasn't been on a ride (or a run or in a swim) and felt like, "Ya, I'm killing it!" and then have someone just blow by you?

But I'm also older now and I'm just not ready to admit that I'm no longer, and never again will be, able to do things I could do 20-30 years ago.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 06-28-23, 04:06 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I appreciate a lot of the input, guys. Yes, I am like so many of us, genetically very average. And I come from a family where we're all fairly short and stocky, not exactly world class cyclist form. I'm 5'4", so pretty average height, but as already stated, I'm pretty stocky. Even with as much as I work out, I'm still on the wrong side of 150 (but that's mostly because my diet is $**t).

I think the thing that really gets to me is when I'm feeling strong and something like this happens. I know I shouldn't compare myself to anybody else, but seriously, who hasn't? Who hasn't been on a ride (or a run or in a swim) and felt like, "Ya, I'm killing it!" and then have someone just blow by you?

But I'm also older now and I'm just not ready to admit that I'm no longer, and never again will be, able to do things I could do 20-30 years ago.
Okay, so while genetics are fixed, diet is a choice. So that's something to consider and maybe give you some incentive. When I'm thinking of eating $**t I think of getting my butt kicked by other riders and it does help.

Also there are world class cyclists of all shapes and sizes. They just compete in different cycling events. Some are great climbers, some are great sprinters, none are great at everything (except for Wout van Aert, but he's probably not human).
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-28-23, 04:51 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Who hasn't been on a ride (or a run or in a swim) and felt like, "Ya, I'm killing it!" and then have someone just blow by you?
You might be killing it, the other person is just killing it faster.

All you have to do is work about three time harder than you did back then.

I know people who at 75 or 80, are faster than I was at 40 (which was about my peak.) They are usually natural athletes, who worked hard all their lives, and never let up. But even they are slower with time. Even pro riders slow down.

As Pete Hski notes, you can eat better which will let you work harder .... and you can work harder. if you devote your whole life to it, you might get a little faster .... and still others will overtake you. How much it is worth is up to you ..... Enough to give up the foods you love? Enough to drastically increase your exercise and stretching? Seeing a sport psychologist?

Maybe a better course is to learn to say, "Oh, well." If you are doing well for You, that is what you can do. There will always be another who is faster. But only you can be you.
Old 06-28-23, 06:02 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I live in NOLA, essentially below sea level. I have no climbing opportunities and plenty of oxygen. I go to the mountain west for vacation almost every year. I love climbing mountains. One year is decided to climb Independence Pass. I was probably 50 at the time. I enjoyed it immensely. The views were spectacular and the air was fresh. I stopped to snap off a few pics and even stopped to take pics of motorists and motorcyclists at overlooks. About 3 bends from the peak. I could see the Independence Pass sign at the summit. I was feeling pretty tired, but at the same time thinking, "yeah, I am the man, I tackled Independence Pass." I could hear a bicycle coming up from behind me. Soon, a woman that looked to be in her 60's blasted past me.

Frankly, it made me smile. That woman was a badazz. Her being faster than me didn't detract from the experience at all. In fact, it gave me a kinda fun anecdote.

If I were you Jen, I'd focus on the progress I made. You pedaled all the way up. I am sure you experienced other joy and other victories along the way. Your joy is yours, and you alone decide whether or not anyone else can steal it.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-28-23, 08:54 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I live in NOLA, essentially below sea level. I have no climbing opportunities and plenty of oxygen. I go to the mountain west for vacation almost every year. I love climbing mountains. One year is decided to climb Independence Pass. I was probably 50 at the time. I enjoyed it immensely. The views were spectacular and the air was fresh. I stopped to snap off a few pics and even stopped to take pics of motorists and motorcyclists at overlooks. About 3 bends from the peak. I could see the Independence Pass sign at the summit. I was feeling pretty tired, but at the same time thinking, "yeah, I am the man, I tackled Independence Pass." I could hear a bicycle coming up from behind me. Soon, a woman that looked to be in her 60's blasted past me.

Frankly, it made me smile. That woman was a badazz. Her being faster than me didn't detract from the experience at all. In fact, it gave me a kinda fun anecdote.

If I were you Jen, I'd focus on the progress I made. You pedaled all the way up. I am sure you experienced other joy and other victories along the way. Your joy is yours, and you alone decide whether or not anyone else can steal it.
Well, now we're just talking about our nature, aren't we? Some of us are inherently happy, others are inherently pessimistic. Half full, half empty, and so on. I know the only person I am competing against is myself, but it's just something I can't past. That's a personal failing on my part. I tell people I'm a triathlete (because I am). It impresses some people but the reality is someone has to be the last person across the finish line and I've had that experience a few times.
Old 06-28-23, 09:05 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
I know I don't have to beat everybody out there. But it is kind of deflating when I'm putting some work into these grades and some guy passes me like he's on his way to grandma's house for Sunday brunch. At least that's what it looked/felt like to me.

Not sucking wind. I don't have asthma. It's just that I'm putting all the power I can into pushing the crank down while the bike (and me) is going up. Honestly, sometimes, I'm pushing down so hard on the pedals that I need to pull up on the bars at the same time.

There aren't a lot of big hills in my immediate area. One of the reasons I take a bike whenever I go in Vegas is for more variety. Where I live, it's not flat, but it's more rolling hills.
It's pretty much all been said in the prior reply posts.
Make every ride, your own, whether you're actually 'competing' or whatever the chosen 'level' happens to be.
Comparing 'unknown' to yourself is fruitless.
But, I'll emphasize what Broctoon pointed out. Gearing. It's not just what gearing you have, but which gear you're chosing/using.
Long uphills/climbs are particularly unique. You're best ride will be when you can find the balance of both strength and output. You may be very strong for a short burst, but a longer level of exertion is also dependent on 'lasting' (aerobic capacity - feeding the muscles the oxygen they need).
And it will vary often during a long uphill. Some sections you can 'muscle' for a bit, other sections require you to even out the load (and effort) you have.
Your bike may already have the optimal gears you could use - but if you don;t know how/when to use them, you'll suffer.
Having to pull up on the bars as you muscle the pedals is very short term and quickly can bring you down, if you don;t have the aerobic side to keep the effort going.
Finding the balance of your strength and aerobic capacity will allow you to achieve your best on long climbs.
You are who you are, at any moment in time - find the best combination of strength and fitness, balance them out in effort (using the optimal gears) and you'll prolly achieve your best.
If you don;t have long climbs in your area, there are ways to approximate that.
If you ran out of gears on the Vegas/Red Rock uphills, an alternate cassette with a better assortment is inexpensive. You'll need to learn to change cassettes - easy thing. You'll want a cassette lockring tool, chain whip, and adjustable wrench... One of the easiest bike tech things to learn and do...
There's a lot to cycling - a lifetime of learning and fun - and challenges.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 06-28-23, 09:21 AM
Maelochs

If you have the strength of will to train for and compete in triathlons--no mater where you finish--you have the strength of will to change how you think about yourself.

Choices and commitment is the issue. You do Not have to be negative.

I might not be much on a bike but I beat about 16 varieties of mental illness and disorders ..... and I might not be too close to sane and balanced, but I Know how much progress one can make.

Don't sell yourself short---you have what it takes to stop selling yourself short.

I cannot change my genetics, but I can change how I use my body ... and my brain. In fact, changing how we think is the most fundamental power we have ... hard to use, for some, but the most essential. You can do it.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 06-28-23, 12:39 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts

Without some specific reference speed/power numbers it's pretty hard to comment. If you're going 14 mph on the flats and somebody passes you like you're standing still, you shouldn't be surprised. But if you're going 20 mph and the same thing happens then that other rider is hella strong. And it helps to remember, numerous bike forum comments notwithstanding, that just training a lot will NEVER make you a top-flight rider. Genetics plays a huge role, and those mountain goat types that can dance up the hills are rare. All any of us can ever do is approach our genetic potential, and we have to be satisfied with that. A lesson I learned long ago.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 06-28-23, 01:06 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
If I were you and wanted to get better at hills I’d find a good roller by your house and do repeats on it. I was trash at hills until I started riding them, and I’m a pretty good climber even at though I weigh 250lbs. Can get up my hill that I live on that’s ridiculously steep, and definitely had to walk up it plenty of times before my body got used to harnessing the very different muscle groups needed to go up steep hills.

of course the other solution is to join fast group rides. When you’re in the pack you will fly up hills and get you used to doing it in big gears. Also it’s fun and you’re competitive.
t
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-28-23, 01:11 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Without some specific reference speed/power numbers it's pretty hard to comment. If you're going 14 mph on the flats and somebody passes you like you're standing still, you shouldn't be surprised. But if you're going 20 mph and the same thing happens then that other rider is hella strong. And it helps to remember, numerous bike forum comments notwithstanding, that just training a lot will NEVER make you a top-flight rider. Genetics plays a huge role, and those mountain goat types that can dance up the hills are rare. All any of us can ever do is approach our genetic potential, and we have to be satisfied with that. A lesson I learned long ago.
i find it hard to reconcile things i see written about cycling, on strava leaderboards, and discussion forums against my real world experience. on totally flat ground without a headwind i average 18-20mph over a sustained period - but at <3w/kg FTP none of my climbs are going to register as anything but slow in any kind of serious discussion about cycling.

however, in the real world, on the road, i almost never get passed. i can't even remember the last time i was passed on level ground. i may get passed once or twice in a 70 mile ride on an uphill section. when i do, it's usually a bit like what the OP described, someone just jamming by like i'm standing still. it doesn't make me feel bad at all because 1) i'm fairly new to all this, 2) i'm no longer young, and 3) i have a heart condition. if i was 28 and healthy and training hard full time, then it would make me feel bad.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 06-28-23, 02:03 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Okay, so while genetics are fixed, diet is a choice. So that's something to consider and maybe give you some incentive. When I'm thinking of eating $**t I think of getting my butt kicked by other riders and it does help.

Also there are world class cyclists of all shapes and sizes. They just compete in different cycling events. Some are great climbers, some are great sprinters, none are great at everything (except for Wout van Aert, but he's probably not human).
Now here's the irony. I have not been shy about admitting the main reason for my exercise regimen is for weight maintenance/reduction. In fact, all my friends and family have heard me say many times "I don't work out like I do because I like to work out. I work out like I do because I like to eat." And that's no exaggeration. About four years ago I saw my PCP and he told me my A1c was 6.0, and that was right at the line between pre-diabetes and diabetes. I'm no genius, but I know I don't want to be diabetic. So looking at it, I had two options: 1) reduce my caloric intake, or 2) increase my caloric requirements (technically, there is a third option combining 1 and 2). I like the sweets too much and while I have tried to be better with my diet, I chose more to focus on activity that required higher caloric intake. So, I've kind of cheated in a way (in a very hard way). I haven't made significant changes to my diet, but I have dropped my A1c, maintained a reasonable weight and improved my overall fitness. But the reality is that diet is probably the biggest factor holding me back from improving where I am now. That combined with the fact I'm just getting older and I'm rapidly approaching the point where I'm going to have to make a decision - do I want to get better and lose weight? Or do I really like the sweets that much?

Decisions, decisions.
Likes For VegasJen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.