Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I am not as strong as I want to believe.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I am not as strong as I want to believe.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-23, 02:08 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
… do I want to get better and lose weight? Or do I really like the sweets that much?.

the obvious answer is just to ride even more! and remember that fat burning zone tends to be a much lower level of exertion but for a longer period of time.
Old 06-28-23, 02:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Now here's the irony. I have not been shy about admitting the main reason for my exercise regimen is for weight maintenance/reduction. In fact, all my friends and family have heard me say many times "I don't work out like I do because I like to work out. I work out like I do because I like to eat." And that's no exaggeration. About four years ago I saw my PCP and he told me my A1c was 6.0, and that was right at the line between pre-diabetes and diabetes. I'm no genius, but I know I don't want to be diabetic. So looking at it, I had two options: 1) reduce my caloric intake, or 2) increase my caloric requirements (technically, there is a third option combining 1 and 2). I like the sweets too much and while I have tried to be better with my diet, I chose more to focus on activity that required higher caloric intake. So, I've kind of cheated in a way (in a very hard way). I haven't made significant changes to my diet, but I have dropped my A1c, maintained a reasonable weight and improved my overall fitness. But the reality is that diet is probably the biggest factor holding me back from improving where I am now. That combined with the fact I'm just getting older and I'm rapidly approaching the point where I'm going to have to make a decision - do I want to get better and lose weight? Or do I really like the sweets that much?

Decisions, decisions.
When I got back on my bike after 15 years of being away from riding, a big part of my 40+lb weight loss was from adjusting my diet. I didn't cut out the things I enjoy eating and drinking, because I knew I would have a difficult time maintaining the abstinence. What worked for me was adjusting the portion sizes, especially with high-carb foods like pasta, potatoes, and rice.
Old 06-28-23, 02:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
To recap: OP acknowledges that she is "pretty stocky," eats copious amounts of less-than-nutritious food (aka 'junk'), and finds it "distressing" that some random person passes her on climbs which, in the past, have forced her to get off and walk.

Seems like a whole collection of unrealistic expectations -- about the importance of diet, her fitness level, the impact of weight on climbing ability, and -- most bizarrely -- her ability to ride as fast as a completely random stranger. She's also keeping her head firmly planted in the sand, or her hands clasped tightly over her ears (pick your metaphor) about her future; if a doctor diagnoses you as on the brink of diabetes, and you don't change your diet, you're pretty much begging for very serious health problems.

OP claims to have me on 'ignore,' so I'm just posting this in case anyone else hasn't put all of her posts together like this. She doesn't need training advice, or encouragement...She needs a swift kick in the head.

Last edited by Koyote; 06-28-23 at 02:49 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-28-23, 02:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Yeah .... I love to eat .... food is and has always been my drug of choice. I do find that the more active I stay, the less I crave sugar. Beyond that, it is moderation ....

The sad part is, as I eat less and less, I get older and older and my metabolism slows more and more .... I break even.

High-volume, low-calorie snacks help ..... popcorn is a friend. Also, vanilla yogurt with ground fruit is a fair ice-cream substitute most of the time.

Can't speak to your situation, but I know the better I maintain my attitude the easier it is to eat only for nutrition .... being harsh on yourself might trigger an eating response as you look for some solace or satisfaction which don't allow yourself to feel from exercising .....

Whatever. You seem to be doing well, but you don't believe you are good enough .....

We believe in you.

Likes For Maelochs:
Old 06-28-23, 03:04 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
I appreciate that you guys can relate. I do have a consideration that has altered my diet, not necessarily for the better. About 13 years ago I was diagnosed with neck cancer. The treatment was effective at killing the cancer, but it did a lot of damage in my neck. While the cancer is gone, the damage remains, and I have a lot of difficulty swallowing. Some of this is good because I am forced to eat much slower now. But it also restricts some of the foods I can eat, while also making certain foods (ice cream) much more appealing. So it ended up being something of a double edge sword. I no longer eat some bad foods because it's just too difficult, but some bad foods are a lot easier to eat too. Same thing can be said for good foods, but the end result is that my options of both good and bad choices has been reduced.
Old 06-28-23, 08:21 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
To recap: OP acknowledges that she is "pretty stocky," eats copious amounts of less-than-nutritious food (aka 'junk'), and finds it "distressing" that some random person passes her on climbs which, in the past, have forced her to get off and walk.

Seems like a whole collection of unrealistic expectations -- about the importance of diet, her fitness level, the impact of weight on climbing ability, and -- most bizarrely -- her ability to ride as fast as a completely random stranger. She's also keeping her head firmly planted in the sand, or her hands clasped tightly over her ears (pick your metaphor) about her future; if a doctor diagnoses you as on the brink of diabetes, and you don't change your diet, you're pretty much begging for very serious health problems.
Poor diet and a stocky build didn't hold John Belushi back:
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-28-23, 08:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Poor diet and a stocky build didn't hold John Belushi back:
I remember watching that live broadcast.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-29-23, 04:00 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Now here's the irony. I have not been shy about admitting the main reason for my exercise regimen is for weight maintenance/reduction. In fact, all my friends and family have heard me say many times "I don't work out like I do because I like to work out. I work out like I do because I like to eat." And that's no exaggeration. About four years ago I saw my PCP and he told me my A1c was 6.0, and that was right at the line between pre-diabetes and diabetes. I'm no genius, but I know I don't want to be diabetic. So looking at it, I had two options: 1) reduce my caloric intake, or 2) increase my caloric requirements (technically, there is a third option combining 1 and 2). I like the sweets too much and while I have tried to be better with my diet, I chose more to focus on activity that required higher caloric intake. So, I've kind of cheated in a way (in a very hard way). I haven't made significant changes to my diet, but I have dropped my A1c, maintained a reasonable weight and improved my overall fitness. But the reality is that diet is probably the biggest factor holding me back from improving where I am now. That combined with the fact I'm just getting older and I'm rapidly approaching the point where I'm going to have to make a decision - do I want to get better and lose weight? Or do I really like the sweets that much?

Decisions, decisions.
At least you are being honest with yourself, which is half the battle won. I also struggle a bit with my chocolate addiction, but my competitive nature helps to keep it in check (mostly!). The hard part is finding the right balance.

Last year I entered a gruelling mountain based event (100 miles with nearly 5000 m of elevation) and I lost a full 10 kg in weight in training for it. I wasn't technically overweight previously, so it was a really hard target and I had to seriously focus on diet and cutting out pretty much all the junk. But the thing is I still wasn't very competitive on the big mountain climbs. I'm 6'1" tall and normally weigh 85 kg with a medium build. For this event I got down to 75 kg (over about 9 months of effort) and my wife said I looked sick and underweight. I was beating my own PRs on the climbs, but I still got totally hammered by 5'5" guys weighing 60 kg or less. That's just genetics. I'm not naturally built as a climber and therefore I fully expect to be uncompetitive in the mountains. This is exactly the same for Pro riders in the Gruppetto (bunch at the very back) on big mountain days.

So this year I decided to concentrate on flatter events that are better suited to my natural build. I'm back up to my normal 85 kg (enjoying a bit more chocolate!) and I'm stronger on the flat than I was last year. I'm also more competitive on events with flat or rolling terrain. But I am also considerably slower on long, steep climbs. That's just how it is.

So here's an idea for you. How about you focus your competitive nature more on the kind of riding that suits your natural body type? You don't sound like a natural climber to me, but you could well have the potentilal to become a strong flat TT rider or crit racer. I know you do triathlons, so maybe it's better to be a stronger swimmer and TT rider than it is to be super fast on climbs? Does it really matter if some random dude beats you on terrain that doesn't suit your strengths? They may beat you on a climb, but can they beat you at your strengths?

Anyway just some random thoughts about relative strengths and weaknesses and what really matters to you.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-29-23, 04:46 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts

Decisions, decisions.
Diabetic here...

Pre D, D... it doesn't go away.

To understand the disease, you have to understand insulin. High(er) levels of insulin are required for us to keep our blood sugars in check. Along with a host of other bad heath issues from high levels of insulin - weight gain and fat storage is the biggest symptom. So, you can't just focus on blood sugars/A1C - they are just symptoms of the real issues.

With this condition - I can't out cycle or exercise a poor diet. 200 miles a week, 300 miles a week, weight training... I can gain weight at will. Why? Insulin.

Sweets, and most importantly - CARBS, trigger insulin responses and for many of us (not everyone), that = weight gain and disease progression.

I hate the term Pre Diabetic. To me its like saying that you have a little bit of cancer. The disease has started - but the symptoms are just at a low level. And high blood sugar is just a symptom.

For a bunch of us - insulin = "stocky". Learn to control that and the stocky goes away.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 06-29-23, 11:35 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
It's amazing how similar someone can look, but be at different fitness levels.

I got dropped by a bunch of old people at a group ride recently; only 27 miles.

Now I WAS on my hybrid bike with only 42 psi in the tires and they were on road bikes probably at 90 psi, but they were carrying on conversations with each other as they steadily pulled away. By 5 miles in, they were gone.

I also saw a video on the GCN YouTube channel recently of an amateur cyclist (GCN employee) vs. a bodybuilder. They started in the gym, where the bodybuilder displayed his great feats of strength. Even in leg press, he could EASILY double or triple what the cyclist could do. Then, they went out to do a hill climb. Despite being so much stronger, the bodybuilder finished 11 minutes after the cyclist. There are different kinds of muscle and different kinds of fitness. The cyclist in question had a thin body with average-looking legs, but his cardio fitness was at another level. He totally destroyed that body builder.

So yes, go easy on yourself. It's not a matter of "I will never be at that level" but "it may take me YEARS of work to get to that level."

My ex wife is another example.Tiny little Chinese woman. She used to run in college but hadn't run seriously in years. She was not overweight at all, but not fit either. She started running 6 days a week at the local stadium. Got thin, except her legs, which were like tree trunks. Awesome body. Then she moved here and decided to start running a mile or two a day. That only lasted two days. Then she went 4-5 a day for a week or so. Then 10 on Saturdays. Next thing I knew, a couple months later she was training for her first marathon. Then, she was running at least one marathon a year. Then, she was running double marathons, through woods, dunes, hills, etc. If you couldn't see her legs, you would never know what she was capable of. Unfortunately, she wanted that same drive out of me, (in all things) and it was not meant to be. The thing is, she found running to be fun, and I found it to be suffering. Therefore, I could never do that. Cycling? I have a chance, as I enjoy it.

Last edited by Smaug1; 06-29-23 at 11:40 AM.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 06-29-23, 11:50 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
It's not a matter of "I will never be at that level" but "it may take me YEARS of work to get to that level."
This reminds me of people watching my daughter hit softballs while I was tossing batting practice for her at our local park. She was a gifted skilled hitter, and had elite-level power in HS. Frequently, we heard, "Wow! I could never do that." I get that it's intended as a compliment, but it always struck me as kind of discounting the many years of dedicated and determined hard work my daughter put into becoming excellent at her sport - specialty coaching, gym work, and a LOT of hours of practice.

Last edited by Eric F; 06-29-23 at 02:32 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 06-29-23, 01:30 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
This reminds me of people watching my daughter hit softballs while I was tossing batting practice for her at our local park. She was a gifted hitter, and had elite-level power in HS. Frequently, we heard, "Wow! I could never do that." I get that it's intended as a compliment, but it always struck me as kind of discounting the many years of dedicated and determined hard work my daughter put into becoming excellent at her sport - specialty coaching, gym work, and a LOT of hours of practice.
Rule of 100.

Spend 100 hours per year, 18 min every day for a year, you will be better at that thing than #95 of people. Or so they say...

Reminds me of the people on our charity ride team - they show up for a training ride all decked out and ready to go, then start yapping about how they can't keep up with two of us, how they could never ride like that... meanwhile they have 0 seat time since the last ride, and we've been riding 5-6 days a week.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 07-04-23, 12:09 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

In the "I'm not as strong as I thought I was" vein:

I went for a long ride with a friend today. He's 65, has a pot belly and is a pretty serious cyclist, to my way of thinking. He goes out every weekend for at least a 50 mile ride and sometimes once during the week for 30. He signs up for century rides, and goes every year to Colorado for the Ride the Rockies run.

I'm 46, thinner than him and a commuter, trying to become something more. My commute is 2 miles each way. I do shopping trips during the week on the bike, but it still doesn't add up to anything near his epic weekend rides.

The ride today wound up being 66 miles. This guy could leave me behind at will, especially on the climbs. Hardware-wise, he has me outgunned, with this 16 lb. Madone 9.9 and 100 psi tires to my 25 lb. Domane with 70 psi. It explains why I have to pedal to keep up going downhill I suppose, but I don't think it fully describes his climbing ability. He's just stronger, from having done this for the past 30 years on long trips.

That ride was too long for me. I was really worn down at the end of it, going probably 9 mph. My neck hurts, as I'm not used to road cycling where one has to look up all the time. My prostate hurt from the stock seat, and my hands hurt from leaning on them. I'm going to limit myself to 50 mile rides for the near future and prefer more like 20-30 mile rides.

Anyway, the bottom line is that if I want to do this kind of riding, I need more training. I have to accept that or accept my current limits.
Old 07-04-23, 12:34 PM
PeteHski

Hardware-wise, he has me outgunned, with this 16 lb. Madone 9.9 and 100 psi tires to my 25 lb. Domane with 70 psi. It explains why I have to pedal to keep up going downhill.
He probably just has a more aero position on his bike than you if he’s rolling away from you. The rest is down to fitness and conditioning.

Does your Domane really weigh 25 lb? That’s nearly as heavy as my full suss mtb!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-05-23, 12:31 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Does your Domane really weigh 25 lb? That’s nearly as heavy as my full suss mtb!
Well, Trek says it weighs 23 and change. Then a couple Al water bottle cages, a couple full bottles, a set of pedals and a set of lights. I guessed.

Still feels light to me, until I lifted my buddy's Madone 9.9...
Old 07-06-23, 02:45 AM
PeteHski

Well, Trek says it weighs 23 and change. Then a couple Al water bottle cages, a couple full bottles, a set of pedals and a set of lights. I guessed.

Still feels light to me, until I lifted my buddy's Madone 9.9...
Fair enough. That will certainly cost you time on the climbs, but otherwise not so much.
Old 07-06-23, 10:44 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
I think low bike weight peaked (hit nadir?) a few years back when aero frames and disc brakes arrived. People went a little weight-weenie crazy for a while, building bikes to the lowest weight technologically achievable ... only to find out that extra pound of bike weight wasn't all that .....

In fact, except for dedicated climbing bikes (and how many of us only ride mountains?) it has been found that a slightly heavier but more aero bike will be faster. And even on a climb, the gain is marginal except on the steepest grades ... and as for whether they are "inconsequential" is a matter of definition, which is to say, choice ... not fact. How many of us make sure we have the lightest multi tool, lightest tire levers, lightest water bottles ..... or just forego the saddle bag and risk a flat or a mechanical, because the weight of a couple tubes and a pump is significant?

I like light bikes, but for most riders, it can get a little silly .... if you are trying to win a Tour stage, okay, but if you are just out for a ride .... do you have your climbing shoes on, with the perforated soles? What, you are wearing socks? You know how much they weigh?

And no matter how much controversy it causes ... yeah disc set-ups weigh more. Even cable disc. Again it is a trade-off ... do the grams saved outweigh the safety? (Frankly I doubt most of us ride our bikes to the absolute limit often anyway .... the folks who race professionally don't even ..... because the uphill limit is beyond the force a human can generate, and the downhill limit, when exceeded, often leads to crio0ppling injuries.) I don't mind a few extra grams on the bike ..... those who do, had best sand off the paint.

For a person who wants a really light bike, go for it. Light bikes are fun even if in absolute numerically evaluated performance, over time they bikes are not significantly faster. (As far as that goes, my Fuji is listed at 23 but with racks and lights ... 28 I think. My "steel is real" Raleigh is 28, my vintage Cannondale is about the same ... my two Workswells are ten pounds lighter .... but by actual measurement, over a span of time, riding the same routs, not significantly faster ... and I have never failed to make a climb because of the added weight.)

However ... all that Less costs More, also. If you want a bike at or below the UCI limit, you will have to pay for the privilege. Your money, your choice ... but for people who just plan to ride for pleasure, where two pounds doesn't matter so much .... Yeah, I would pay $3000 less to get a bike which weighed two pounds more, sometimes.

I am not saying weight makes no difference. I have felt the weight when trying to climb carrying a load of camera gear .... but that is not two pounds, it is twelve or twenty-two or forty-two, on different days.

Basically, "low weight" was sales hype for so long, we all bought into it ..... Even after pro riders realized that low eight was just one part of the equation.

On my Cannondale, or my old Schwinn tourer (mostly built myself from a Varsity frame ... ) the answer was/ is "Lower Gearing." Cheaper to add more teeth in back, or fewer in front, than to buy a bike which weighs the UCI minimum.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-07-23, 08:51 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
On a January January morning of a long time ago I found myself standing with a company of other young men, freezing cold, and teeth chattering. I had been in the Army for nearly a year, doing PT every day, going to the gym in the afternoons, and running on weekends. I was young, lean, and fit.

This day was the first day of “RIP,” a three week selection course for the Rangers. I had ben preparing for this training for nearly two years, and judged myself more than ready for it. I was not.

A man a few years older than myself came to the platform in front of us, putting out his cigarette as he climbed the steps. He put us through a course of PT that pushed me harder than I had ever been pushed. I did pushups to the point of collapse, and was run until I was throwing up next to the road. I, who got a perfect score on my previous PT test, was shamed. The older, cigarette-smoking PT instructor did more push ups than I did, and ran up and down the formation, and barely broke a sweat.

No matter how good you may think yourself at anything, there are indeed people much better. Of that company of young men I stood with that morning, less than one in three were still there three weeks later.
I failed that course in the very last moments on the road march that signaled the end of the course. Missed the time by like 10 minutes?. Joined the next cycle and did it all…. over….again 🙃
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 07-07-23, 08:57 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Even though you have a 3x I’m wondering what your cassette is? Climbing at one time was the most undesirable thing on earth for me with cycling. I swear I’d go 10 miles around a 500’ climb just to avoid it 🤣🤣
For reasons unknown I suddenly looked at it as a challenge and began riding every hill I could find. I also changed my gearing to a 1x SRAM Rival with a 52t cassette and 34 on the chainring. Even though I’m slow (don’t care) I have not found a hill I can’t climb yet ! It took about a year of dedicated hill work to get there so don’t give up. And I’m 62 so that was a factor too.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 07-07-23, 09:28 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
When I was younger, my average pace was 20-22 mph. I could knock off a 60 mile ride in 3 hrs consistently. After I hit around 50 yrs, my pace started slowing. I've accepted that no amount of training or weight loss is going to get me back to that pace. I've learned I enjoy my rides much more nowadays if I don't stress my speed or get frustrated by being passed or keeping up with others.
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 07-07-23, 11:57 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
I like to think I'm in pretty decent shape for my age and condition. I seem to have this opinion despite continually being humbled. Some of you may recall my thread HERE about taking my TT bike through the Red Rock scenic loop, which features about 5 miles of near continuous incline averaging about 4% with a peak over 10%. In that ride, I had to dismount and walk the bike up almost a mile of the route.

It was suggested that the TT bike was really the wrong kit to be riding that route, and that I would be better off with one of my road bikes with better gearing for climbing.

So today I was once again in Vegas and took in my Roubiax with 3x9 gearing. Starting off, before I even got into the scenic loop, I'm going up the road (probably only a 2-3% grade) and get passed by a guy on a Tarmac. I felt like I was cruising along pretty good, but this guy passed me like I was having a picnic.

We both got into the scenic loop and he took off but I just wanted to keep him in sight, use him to help pace me, but he bugged out and I just couldn't hang. Once again, around 3.5 to 4 miles into the loop I was really struggling to keep going. I never did dismount and walk, but honestly, the thought did cross my mind on several occasions. By the time I finally got to the summit of the loop, I was still on the bike, but probably not going much faster than a walking pace anyway.

This is distressing because I was considering trying my hand at the Mother Load 200 sometime in the next couple years, but there is a lot more elevation change in that ride. I guess I need to just come to terms with the fact that I'll never be at that level.
I think the only person worth comparing yourself to is who you were yesterday. Maybe even who you were 5 minutes ago.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-07-23, 12:36 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
it might come down to flat out power for less then top tier cycling athletes. Not power to weight ratio at road bike speeds where air resistance is your biggest challenge on mostly flat roads. Wind resistance might increase 10% for a bigger more powerful person, but he might generate 25% more power. That extra power may more then compensate for the added weight even on some hills that aren't too long. And the extra weight is a bonus on the downside.

Finding the correct balance between leg muscle and cardio stress levels by selecting the correct gear likely plays a role too. Burn out your leg muscles too early in your ride/race in too high gear and your pretty much done if your competing. Run out of air early, and by slowing/ coasting a bit you might recover soon to get back into the game.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 07-07-23 at 04:03 PM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 07-08-23, 02:03 PM
grcolts

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
I know how the OP feels. While very quickly after taking up cycling, I learned to not truly compare myself to others. That doesn't mean I can't admire or even envy them a little. It does sort of suck to be working hard, and someone passes you making it look easy. Seeing Strava climbs where elite riders do it at speeds I can't even hold on the flat.

What really bugs me is to hear a story about someone that's maybe a year into cycling that started with an FTP around 100 W, more than tripling it to 300+ W in less than a year. I've been riding for 4 years and have gone from something like 170 W to 240 W, at best. Some of that with some pretty focused training effort. But at age 62, it's just a reality that I'm not going to make gains like a 20-year-old would. And being 62 years old, I'm likely not that many years away from not being able to make gains at all.

I have accepted the reality of my abilities or potential. So, I mostly focus on improving relative to myself. And even there I have relaxed quite a bit. I've learned that things out of my control like injury, sickness, or life don't have to keep me off the bike for long, and I lose a lot of those hard earned fitness gains. So, I've learned to try to just keep improving as best I can. Accept the fitness setbacks that occur, and just keep climbing the mountain.
Super good advice. I am old enough now to know I ride for myself and I ride for fun & exercise. I don't worry much about what other riders are doing or not doing. Keep life simple and enjoy it while you can.
Old 07-08-23, 03:49 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
I just rode 116 flat miles with 100 miles of tail breeze. LOL. Not much cramps during or after. It does take a few days to recover from dehydration and tiredness.
What I figured out is I need one of these a week if I really want strength and fitness. A two week layoff and I surely get cramps and lose speed.
No amount of tootleing around the city helps build strength.
My other highway rides since May 13 have been 92, 72, 98, 57 and 72 miles. Of course I have to start over every spring after a 5 month layoff.
I spend a crazy amount of time DIY making things for my bikes, like a CF chaincase. Plus waiting for good weather.
Old 07-08-23, 07:57 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I just rode 116 flat miles with 100 miles of tail breeze. LOL. Not much cramps during or after. It does take a few days to recover from dehydration and tiredness.
What I figured out is I need one of these a week if I really want strength and fitness. A two week layoff and I surely get cramps and lose speed.
No amount of tootleing around the city helps build strength.
My other highway rides since May 13 have been 92, 72, 98, 57 and 72 miles. Of course I have to start over every spring after a 5 month layoff.
I spend a crazy amount of time DIY making things for my bikes, like a CF chaincase. Plus waiting for good weather.
When you're off the bike do you ski or hike? Some kind of aerobic work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.