Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Prices vs Blue Book value?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Prices vs Blue Book value?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-23, 06:09 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
the eBay price reflects the fair market value for someone buying a bike on eBay, which is a subset willing to buy a bike sight unseen and have it shipped.
What I replied to suggested that eBay wasn’t a fair market price and should be listed at 10% less (for no indicated reason).

Not that there's much better metric given most sales are going to be cash in hand and will depend wildly on the bike, the buyer and the location.
So, you complain that the eBay price is wrong but it’s also the best estimate for price. OK, I guess?

My point was that the eBay price is some sort of real and that reducing the price 10% (for no particular reason) doesn’t make much sense.

Sure, the price could vary wildly on all sorts of mysterious things. If the wild price was significantly lower than eBay, why would you not sell it on eBay?

A niche bike may be worth a lot of money to a seasoned cyclist who needs it for an event that weekend, but only be worth $50 for some dude who wants to take his kids to the park.
So what? Anyway… The first is a rarity (not really a “market”). The second is more common. If the eBay price is significantly higher, why would you sell the bike to this person?

What you are saying (pretty much “things are complicated”) might be true but it’s not information that really helps anybody.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-10-23 at 06:44 AM.