Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Finally! Shimano recalls Dura Ace and Ultegra cranksets

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Finally! Shimano recalls Dura Ace and Ultegra cranksets

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-23, 05:01 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah ... except it wasn't stress that killed them.

That is an excellent example of how smart people get information and completely ignore it, picking and choosing tiny bits to cobble together something which fits their a priori narrative to support their own ridiculous and unrealistic theories.

Those cranks did not fail due to stress ... they failed because they were not properly glued together, so that moisture could create a corrosive chemical reaction between steel and aluminum parts. This corrosive chemical reaction hastened the breakdown of the adhesive bonding the aluminum parts together. The glue is what failed ..... This has been explained repeatedly, in posts way before the recall was announced. In fact, pictures like the one above were posted years ago on a website which collected stories o crank failure ... which site was referenced here in an earlier thread (search and find.)

At no point did the aluminum crank fail because the intact crank was aluminum, and could not stand up to the stresses of being aluminum and being a bike crank. (If aluminum was not suitable for bike cranks the 105 cranks would also have been recalled. (https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/201...imano-105.html)

The cranks failed because the glue bonding the two sections together failed, and the remaining two parts, seperatley, could not function as a bicycle crank.

The All-Aluminum, one-piece, 105 cranks have No record of failure and are Not included in the recall.

This is a classic example of a smart person being deliberately stupid to support and inaccurate and dishonest theory. This is the same sort of lack of thinking or dishonest, actually psychotic (using information invented to replace actual information form reality) that allows people to hate CF ("Every CF frame and fork is a deadly accident waiting to happen," they have been saying for several decades, while the rest of us wait .... )

This is the kind of thinking that allows people to claim the Earth is flat and that technology doesn't work while driving computerized cars along routes suggested by GPS satellites while engaged in video-telephone calls with people in other countries,.
This si the kind of ridiculously pitiful failed thinking which is actually killing the human race.

Bravo.
you made a similar rant at me when I pointed out this issue prior to the recall.

Bravo!
Old 09-23-23, 06:30 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
you made a similar rant at me when I pointed out this issue prior to the recall.

Bravo!
yeah ... facts work that way.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-23-23, 11:51 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts

Step 2 - Take the bicycle to the retailer for inspection

Shimano has developed the crank inspection process and will provide clear instructions and tutorials for retailers.
  •  
    • • You can take your bike to a participating retailer starting October 1st
  • • The retailer will inspect the crankset for signs of bonding separation or delamination.
  • • Retailers will submit the required information to Shimano so that we can document the inspection, results, and replacement cranks if needed.
  • • Shimano is required to maintain this information for CPSC reporting and to ensure the process is completed.
  • • Consumers whose cranksets show signs of bonding separation or delamination during the inspection will be provided a free replacement crankset* from Shimano that the retailer will professionally install.
This is what Shimano is stating. So if my recall eligible crank is showing no sign of delaminating NOW but it does start say 4 months from now...what then???
If the crank's manufacture numbers meet the manufacturing run dates the crank should be replaced regardless of 'showing delamination' at the time of the bike shop's inspection.
I guess Shimano just wants more law suits...
And yes I have an Ultegra crank whose info meets the data requirements for recall eligible.
Old 09-23-23, 12:31 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Here is my 6800 code MA crankset.
I cannot see any signs of defects.
When the inspection procedure is available, I'll take another look.
I have a braze on FD. I will consider a different crankset altogether for lower gearing but I understand I would need a new GRX FD for the GRX crankset to work with a 2.5 mm offset and 46-30 chainrings.
Old 09-23-23, 12:39 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
As evidence I put forth the fact that even someone trying to prove the opposite could not list a single major mass recall of aluminum cranks withing the past two decades.
I suggest that the low rate of aluminum crank breakage is because most riders accumulate relatively few stress cycles. For the few of us who put a lot of miles on our bikes, breakage is something to watch out for.

Subjected to enough stress cycles, aluminum will crack and fail. This is why aircraft frames are inspected at regular intervals.

Other than rims (which fail regularly), cranks endure the highest number of stress cycles. And when a crank fails, it often involves a crash. One of the taller members of our local club has broken at least two left cranks, which failed while he was climbing out of the saddle. He crashed both times (bruises and scratches only). They were single-piece, forged cranks (no glue).

Solid forged aluminum cranks fail:

Even fancy-expensive, solid forged aluminum cranks fail:

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-23-23, 01:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I stopped at 10sp and it's all Campy, so this does not affect me. But I note that, according to the article, the 105 units are not affected, as they are cold forged. Like my cranks.

Old tech FTW.
FWIW, cold forging is not immune to failure, e.g.:
https://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-001.html
Old 09-23-23, 06:08 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
FWIW, cold forging is not immune to failure, e.g.:
https://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-001.html
No! I've made up my mind! How dare you try to confuse the issue with facts.

No technology is perfect. Just ask the builders of the Titanic. Speaking from the unique position of having no metalurgical or engineering background whatsoever, when it comes to structural stuff, my (largely uninformed) biases tend to run in favor of things made from single pieces rather than glued layers. Am I a luddite? No, just an increasingly crotchety guy getting increasingly old and increasingly out of touch.

Now get off my lawn.
Old 09-24-23, 10:27 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Here is my 6800 code MA crankset.
I cannot see any signs of defects.
When the inspection procedure is available, I'll take another look.
I have a braze on FD. I will consider a different crankset altogether for lower gearing but I understand I would need a new GRX FD for the GRX crankset to work with a 2.5 mm offset and 46-30 chainrings.
you have to look at the backside where the crank arms are glued together, to see if there is any separation
Old 09-24-23, 11:22 AM
zaje

Bikes: Ridley XBow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
interesting, I am surprised about numbers: 760 thousand cranks sold in North America (US probably?) and Canada (what about the rest of the world, Europe, Asia, Antarctica?), 4000 out of those are reported as failed. I wouldnt call this a widespread problem.
Likes For zaje:
Old 09-24-23, 01:05 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by zaje
interesting, I am surprised about numbers: 760 thousand cranks sold in North America (US probably?) and Canada (what about the rest of the world, Europe, Asia, Antarctica?), 4000 out of those are reported as failed. I wouldnt call this a widespread problem.
I guess lawsuits got filed and now it is a widespread problem for Shimano. It only needs a handful of claims to kick it off. Here we have a reported failure rate of 0.5%.
Old 09-24-23, 03:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Bonded cranks are a joke, they should of been forged.
Old 09-24-23, 03:54 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
“Have.” Or “ ‘ve.”

Last edited by smd4; 09-24-23 at 03:57 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-25-23, 05:16 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
Got email from my shop about the recall, for crankset on my 2017 Domane. They said bring it in, did so yesterday. They checked model/serial number, etc. - the crankset is in one of the batches of concern. They have to remove and inspect and then call me today to either pick it up or wait until crank is replaced.

I have about 14,000 miles on that bike, probably no real data on typical mileage when issue either happens or at least becomes visible.
Old 09-25-23, 05:48 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
I was a bit curious as to how this is to work at the shop end. It seems like its a "remove, clean, and look at it" process. Many shop owners I know are a bit older and have terrible eyesight, I don't see this as a final "solution." A less subjective process would be preferred.

This seems to be the official inspection instructions. Not very sophisticated IMO.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 09-25-23, 06:28 AM
smd4

God is punishing Shimano for making ugly-ass cranks.
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-25-23, 06:57 AM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I was a bit curious as to how this is to work at the shop end…...

This seems to be the official inspection instructions. Not very sophisticated IMO.
Thanks for that. A lot of back and forth pissing in this thread but this is the info I’d hoped to find.
Old 09-25-23, 07:12 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If I had one of the cranks in question, I'd be:

Pulling it behind a boat in saltwater
Cooking it in an air fryer
etc, etc
Doing all I could to to make it fail.

It'd be like Paul Simon's 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover or Train's 50 Ways To Say Goodbye.

Last edited by seypat; 09-25-23 at 09:22 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-25-23, 08:39 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
First Gen Hollowtech FTW.
So square taper?

Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-26-23, 05:12 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by dedhed
So square taper?

Octalink. Specifically I’m referring to Dura Ace 7700.
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-26-23, 05:37 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Uh oh. I am reading the fine print. Looks like they are borrowing a page from GM:

So this is not a blanket recall. They are only replacing cranksets that are visibly delaminated! If your crankset hasn't failed yet you get nothing. This is a real slimy move by Shimano.
It might be a good idea to look for yourself and keep careful watch, but don't take it to a dealer. My Toyota truck had a recall for prematurely-rusty frames. I took it in and they said yeah, it's rusting but there's no holes at the time of the inspection; so no warranty. Ultimately it died of a rusty frame and no warranty was given. If I'd waited a year or two before getting it inspected, I would have gotten a new truck.
Old 09-26-23, 09:27 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
I have a set of the cranks that are on the list. I really like how they perform, and have 3000+ worry free miles on them. They are super stiff, very quiet, and shift like a dream.

I keep my bikes clean. I also ride/store them in ideal conditions. My set appear to be in "perfect" shape, so I am just going to continue to use them until I detect a potential issue.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 09-28-23, 04:27 AM
jpescatore

Got my 2017 Domane with recalled crankset back from my bike shop after inspection - by a relatively non-old mechanic whose eyesight seemed fine...

That crankset has about 14000 miles on it - came back much cleaner that it went in! No signs of the issue found.

Creaking and "steps" where the "seams" are on the exterior side on the drive side are what I was told to listen/look for as earliest signs in my inspection. Cracks and white spots might be less visible externally, I guess when every bringing into the shop for work I'll ask for a removal inspection.
Old 09-28-23, 05:17 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Got my 2017 Domane with recalled crankset back from my bike shop after inspection - by a relatively non-old mechanic whose eyesight seemed fine...

That crankset has about 14000 miles on it - came back much cleaner that it went in! No signs of the issue found.

Creaking and "steps" where the "seams" are on the exterior side on the drive side are what I was told to listen/look for as earliest signs in my inspection. Cracks and white spots might be less visible externally, I guess when every bringing into the shop for work I'll ask for a removal inspection.
Legit question. Now that it's been inspected, are you confident it won't fail in the future? Or, will it be in the back of your mind on every ride?

Last edited by seypat; 09-28-23 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-28-23, 05:56 AM
jpescatore

Great question - this problem has been talked about for several years now but the numbers seemed to be no worse than other failures. When the recall was announced, the numbers seemed to say it has been reported on 1% or so of the 2.8M units that are under the recall - higher than I would have thought.

Listening for any creaking sound will definitely be on my mind. I don't stand in the pedals very often (and may do so even less now!) but it will be on my mind then! After every ride I normally check my tires and wipe down my chain - I'll now check and maybe clean the cranks.

I don't think it will really be more than that - not enough to get me to want to pay for a replacement crankset, anyway. But, I'd be first in line if Shimano says (or is forced to say) all will be replaced!

Originally Posted by seypat
Legit question. now that it's been inspected, are you confident It won't fail in the future? Or, will it be in the back of your mind on every ride?
Old 09-28-23, 06:12 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Legit question. now that it's been inspected, are you confident It won't fail in the future? Or, will it be in the back of your mind on every ride?

For me, this would nag at me and I am researching the possibilities now to replace my crankset with a non-Hollowtech one.
The Praxis Alba looks reasonable for my recreational riding. I am not keen on a major mechanical failure in a remote area or a medical emergency. No thanks!

Any recommendations for a forged aluminum crankset?
Likes For CAT7RDR:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.