Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Finally! Shimano recalls Dura Ace and Ultegra cranksets

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Finally! Shimano recalls Dura Ace and Ultegra cranksets

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-23, 07:02 AM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Mix up some JB Weld and that'll be fine.
I used to work for an aerospace firm- building satellite subsystems. We used a variety of specialty epoxy adhesives for bonding components together. We could control adhesive thickness to +/- 0.002 inches to ensure optimum bond strength.
One year we did a comparison test of the adhesives we used to establish a best practices matrix. For sh*ts and giggles, we included Gorilla Glue epoxy in the testing. Gorilla Glue actually excelled in the strength testing- it beat all of the aerospace epoxies we used. We already knew it did not pass outgassing for use in vacuum, with unknown product controls (being a consumer product), it was just a fun test.
We did not test JB Weld.
Likes For ralphs:
Old 09-28-23, 07:34 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
seems if you looked at your crank before each ride and then again when you completed the ride you should catch any problem before it became a bigger problem.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 09-28-23, 10:11 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
seems if you looked at your crank before each ride and then again when you completed the ride you should catch any problem before it became a bigger problem.
that gets old fast.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-28-23, 10:47 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by ralphs
I used to work for an aerospace firm- building satellite subsystems.
Same here, but that was a lifetime ago. I don't think Gorilla Glue existed back then.

Old 09-30-23, 08:58 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I checked and my Ultegra FC R8000 SC falls just after the last code numbers.

Serious question.
Does that mean Shimano fixed the issue, started using Gorilla glue, or just hasn't seen enough failures yet from late 2019, 2020 and beyond.
Old 10-01-23, 06:07 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Wildwood
I checked and my Ultegra FC R8000 SC falls just after the last code numbers.

Serious question.
Does that mean Shimano fixed the issue, started using Gorilla glue, or just hasn't seen enough failures yet from late 2019, 2020 and beyond.
it would sure be interesting to see some destructive testing on the crank arms of crank arms that fall in the range and crank arms that are later..I doubt anyone wants to ante up the money tho...maybe a youtube person like Hambini would take it on.
Old 10-01-23, 06:40 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
it would sure be interesting to see some destructive testing on the crank arms of crank arms that fall in the range and crank arms that are later..I doubt anyone wants to ante up the money tho...maybe a youtube person like Hambini would take it on.
Given the failure mode, I’m not sure what this would prove? If there are no current examples of partial debonding in the later units then what will a test prove?
Old 10-01-23, 06:50 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Given the failure mode, I’m not sure what this would prove? If there are no current examples of partial debonding in the later units then what will a test prove?
it could potentially show what changes were actually made to later units. How do we know there are not/or won't be debonding in later units? seems like shimano denied there was any issues in earlier models for a long time period. it might not prove anything no doubt but it might reveal something.
Old 10-01-23, 07:10 AM
PeteHski

it could potentially show what changes were actually made to later units. How do we know there are not/or won't be debonding in later units? seems like shimano denied there was any issues in earlier models for a long time period. it might not prove anything no doubt but it might reveal something.
Yes it could show any design changes that are not visible from non-destructive inspection and testing. But it might not show any differences in the bonding process if there are no mechanical design changes.

Of course we don’t yet know if later units will ever start to fail. Have any failures been reported in these units to date?
Old 10-01-23, 07:16 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
What is important to me is the company's integrity and my trust in the company producing cranksets or any components that could potentially fail and lead to catastrophic accidents.

I've seen first hand TBI from a bike accident (no the patient did not wear a helmet).
I'm done with Shimano cranksets.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-01-23, 07:35 AM
jadmt

Yes it could show any design changes that are not visible from non-destructive inspection and testing. But it might not show any differences in the bonding process if there are no mechanical design changes.

Of course we don’t yet know if later units will ever start to fail. Have any failures been reported in these units to date?
at least 1 report that I know of but, face it people who post on forums are really a small percentage of the actual numbers of cranks sold. I ride with 2 different people that have durace cranks and they had no idea of the recall and they are very avid cyclists but don't do forums.
This was copied from another forum.
Old 10-01-23, 09:40 AM
PeteHski

at least 1 report that I know of but, face it people who post on forums are really a small percentage of the actual numbers of cranks sold. I ride with 2 different people that have durace cranks and they had no idea of the recall and they are very avid cyclists but don't do forums.
This was copied from another forum.

Well if later units are being reported as failing then it doesn’t look good for Shimano. But it’s hard to tell from individual examples without knowing their history of use and potential abuse.

If I had one of these cranks I wouldn’t freak out over the recall. The reality is that there are literally millions of these cranks in circulation and the failure rate appears to be relatively low and with well used cranks (according to the report linked earlier). But I would use it as a good excuse to upgrade sooner!
Old 10-01-23, 10:33 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
well the quest for ever lower weight means the material in the arms is thin which means a smaller bonding area.

one good curb strike will make it look like that picture above.

No bike component is truly bulletproof (except maybe a Phil bottom bracket or Stronglight A9 headset )

But the trend toward lighter and lighter "race day" components means that those same premium priced components are failure prone and not damage resistant.

/markp
Old 10-01-23, 11:01 AM
biker222

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
What is the difference R7000 105 crankset that make it exempt from recall ? I believe they use Hollowtech II for arms.
Old 10-01-23, 04:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by biker222
What is the difference R7000 105 crankset that make it exempt from recall ? I believe they use Hollowtech II for arms.
Apparently they are cast as a single piece, whereas the others are cast in two pieces and bonded together. Separate castings (I would imagine) allow for more precise, and thus lighter and thinner parts, so the upper-end cranks use the more complicated (and in this case, less reliable) two-part construction.

Just guessing.
Old 10-01-23, 08:01 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by mpetry912
well the quest for ever lower weight means the material in the arms is thin which means a smaller bonding area.

one good curb strike will make it look like that picture above.

No bike component is truly bulletproof (except maybe a Phil bottom bracket or Stronglight A9 headset )

But the trend toward lighter and lighter "race day" components means that those same premium priced components are failure prone and not damage resistant.

/markp
I tend to agree. It’s a fine line between durability and super light weight. But this does appear to be a specific bonding process issue making the parts more susceptible to failure than they normally would be.
Old 10-02-23, 12:11 PM
OldForerunner
Top Seeded Amateur

Bikes: Kestrels, Peugeots, EPX, Scott, Trek, C-dale, Jeunet

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 41 Posts
I have a crankset within the range listed, only two hundred miles on it, still looks brand new.

I'm curious to see how this affects the used market, if at all, since I'd plan on replacing anyway before the Shimano recall (not for any safety considerations, just personal preference).
Old 10-02-23, 01:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
I tend to agree. It’s a fine line between durability and super light weight. But this does appear to be a specific bonding process issue making the parts more susceptible to failure than they normally would be.
Pretty sure it is not some "special bonding process" as bonded aluminum monocoques for sports cars are decades old ... probably older for aviation and aerospace.

I am assuming this is "special low-paid Malaysian labor technique" which results in this unique situation.
Old 10-03-23, 08:24 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Pretty sure it is not some "special bonding process" as bonded aluminum monocoques for sports cars are decades old ... probably older for aviation and aerospace.

I am assuming this is "special low-paid Malaysian labor technique" which results in this unique situation.
I think you misread. I didn't say it was a "special bonding process". I said it was a "specific" issue with the bonding process. The report was only speculating what that issue might have been.
Old 10-05-23, 12:55 PM
Eddy_G 

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Salsa Journeyman Apex

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Legit question. now that it's been inspected, are you confident It won't fail in the future? Or, will it be in the back of your mind on every ride?

For me, this would nag at me and I am researching the possibilities now to replace my crankset with a non-Hollowtech one.
The Praxis Alba looks reasonable for my recreational riding. I am not keen on a major mechanical failure in a remote area or a medical emergency. No thanks!

Any recommendations for a forged aluminum crankset?
Shimano 105 R7000 cranks are hollow forged and not bonded.

Rotor Vegast 24 are forged aluminum that has been cnc'd to shave weight, and are fully compatible with Shimano R7000/8000/9000 bottom brackets.

Rotor ALDHU 24 are carbon composite arms and are full compatible with your Shimano BB as well.

The Praxis cranksets will require a Praxis Bottom Bracket, as they are not true 24mm standard, but rather use a GXP-like 24/22 design.

Last edited by Eddy_G; 10-11-23 at 12:17 PM.
Likes For Eddy_G:
Old 10-05-23, 01:35 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddy_G
Shimano 105 R7000 cranks are hollow forged and not bonded. The way the old 9-speed stuff was.
The Dura Ace 7700 crank arms were made hollow by welding an aluminum plate onto a channel, and polishing everything smooth. This way the arms appear to be solid.
Old 10-06-23, 10:51 PM
Eddy_G 

Originally Posted by smd4
The Dura Ace 7700 crank arms were made hollow by welding an aluminum plate onto a channel, and polishing everything smooth. This way the arms appear to be solid.
In any case, no adhesives are used in the construction of R7000 cranksets, they are forged, they are hollow, and as a finished product each arm has no seams or joints other than the point where the spindle meets the right side crank arm.
Never heard of one failing, at least none that haven't been abused and mis-used.

Perhaps, using old 9-speed as a comparison was an error. R7000 105 is a superior groupset to 7700 Dura-Ace in at least a few categories.

Last edited by Eddy_G; 10-06-23 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-07-23, 09:16 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddy_G
R7000 105 is a superior groupset to 7700 Dura-Ace in at least a few categories.
’Cause it hasn’t more gears? Meh. It definitely isn’t top of the line.

Last edited by smd4; 10-07-23 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-07-23, 09:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Legit question. now that it's been inspected, are you confident It won't fail in the future? Or, will it be in the back of your mind on every ride?

For me, this would nag at me and I am researching the possibilities now to replace my crankset with a non-Hollowtech one.
The Praxis Alba looks reasonable for my recreational riding. I am not keen on a major mechanical failure in a remote area or a medical emergency. No thanks!

Any recommendations for a forged aluminum crankset?
Campy Centaur?
https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...et/136661619/p
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-07-23, 11:54 AM
Eddy_G 

Originally Posted by smd4
’Cause it hasn’t more gears? Meh. It definitely isn’t top of the line.
More gears. More gear range. stiffer crank arms. The combined weight of cranks and bottom bracket is lighter. More powerful rim brakes. More ergonomic brake hoods/levers. Shorter shift throw. More modern styling.

Not top of the line today, but better than the old stuff nonetheless.

The person I was originally posting to before some folks became sidetracked was asking for suggestions of compatible forged cranksets to replace their R8000 or R9100 arms with.

I stand by my recommendations of R7000 or Rotor 24mm options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.