Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Needed tubes: tried bike shops, Amazon won out

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Needed tubes: tried bike shops, Amazon won out

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-23, 05:04 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
I hope you bend a derailleur hanger soon.
Here you go. And those are just the options from Wheels Manufacturing. Looks like most of them even offer two-day delivery.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-03-23, 05:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Billlyy
Love Amazon I literally buy everything I need !!!
if they don’t have it
you don’t need it!!!
Not every thing I buy is something I need. IMO, that would be a crappy way to live. But you do you.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-03-23, 05:31 PM
Billlyy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
I hope you bend a derailleur hanger soon.
now why would you say that !!!!
you know I’ll buy another from Amazon !!!!
Likes For Billlyy:
Old 10-03-23, 07:43 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Back in the olden days when we still had a government, this would be called dumping and the corporation would be broken up for doing that.
Yeah, don't you hate it when companies give customers a good deal?
Likes For Random11:
Old 10-04-23, 04:23 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
On rides, I carry spare tubes (and a patch hit on multi-day tours) and replace the tube if I flat.

In this recent case, neither of those tire/tubes had flatted meaning the front tube had 6k+ miles and the rear 3500+ miles of use. I've learned over the years that if I leave tubes in forever, I am like to get tube valve flats - so I do replace the tubes with the tire.

I then generally use those tubes on my wife's bike, which doesn't get a lot of mileage, and on my old Trek 520 which spends all its time on a indoor trainer on Zwift.

That wheel-on trainer setup is another data point. I use trainer tire on that setup and it has lasted about 8K files so far, and obviously no tire penetration flats - but the tube got a valve flat at about 5K miles and was replaced with a used tube. Flatting on the road is much more annoying to me than flatting in the basement.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You won on this transaction since you bought tubes and received tires, but what about the tubes?...you still cant ride your bike?

All seriousness- what was wrong with the 2 tubes already on the bike? Do you just change tubes at scheduled intervals, regardless of need? Thats preventative maintenance to another level, if thats what you are doing.
Old 10-04-23, 07:30 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Me. I do.
I also appreciate the million things my LBS (or any of the other locally owned and operated retail stores I frequent) do for me, for my community, and for our local/regional/national economy. I'm a big fan of buying something I need and taking it home - right then - certain that I got the right part, I know how to install it, can return it for immediate replacement if there's a problem, and got to hang out with other cyclists while I was doing it. I like buying from the same guy who's at the group ride, charity event, and/or race handing out free energy gels and dong free adjustments at the start line. I like buying from a guy who will remind me my new dimfrigit requires a special tool, one he's willing to loan me. I like buying from the shop that hires local kids. I like...
I value my time more and like to keep more dollars in my pocket.

If I have to spend an hour out of my day to run to the LBS and back that's time that I've lost that I could be doing something more productive. It's not a win-win for me at all.

1.) LBS parts cost more than online
2.) I've burnt up gas that I have spend money replenishing
3.) Wear and tear on car

Online...Place order for same part that is cheaper...Shows up 2-3 days later.
Old 10-04-23, 08:05 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

If I have to spend an hour out of my day to run to the LBS and back that's time that I've lost that I could be doing something more productive. It's not a win-win for me at all.

3.) Wear and tear on car

I think this is an important point for many people. I've spent most of the past twenty years living in small, rural cities that lack bike shops...Places in which the nearest small (=poorly stocked) bike shop was over 20 miles away. It's a tremendous waste of resources to travel that distance to buy some bike parts, especially when the UPS truck is going down my street every day and can easily drop off my online order.

I do now live in a small city with a little bike shop, and I often patronize it. Today, while out doing errands, I will stop by and pick up some sealant.

tl;dr: Horses for courses.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-04-23, 09:06 AM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Amazon can buy in massive bulk quantities
Now ask yourself why the LBS didn't have the item in stock. Because it isn't free to stock an item. Warehouse space costs money -- enormous money on Amazon's scale. As does parceling out that "massive bulk" order to thousands of warehouses, so that there's stock close enough to OP to enable same-day delivery.

This is partly why Amazon's retail profit margin is so low that it could never survive as an independent business, without being subsidized by AWS. And why Amazon engages in illegal activity to bust union development, because unions will kill it dead if allowed to flourish.
Old 10-04-23, 10:32 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
The amazing thing is that without knowing how much Amazon paid for the tubes and how much the OP paid for the tubes someone knows that Amazon lost money on the transaction.
Amazon (and other large online retailers) routinely loose (bone for Pedal Atlantic Guy) $ on small(ish) transactions, and I suspect they did so here as well. They can do this because their business model relies on their stock price, as well as $ from "partner" retailers, and not margins. It's why it's foolish to try to compete with them on price.
Old 10-04-23, 11:17 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
preventative maintenance does increase the enjoyment of more ride time.

I didn't know the consumers have the job in regulating business activity. New news to me.
Screw better buying power, saving time, limit wasting resources; just drive around looking to spend the most for the product, & while doing so, be sure to add to traffic congestion by doing all this during peak commute times.
Old 10-04-23, 11:52 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
...my usual sources are out of stock except Amazon...
Yep... Certainly been there.

I do sympathize with the bike shops. I just don't see an economical way they could keep adequate stock for a broad range of bicycles. Especially since some of the newer bike shops are just bike dealerships and really not interested in repair of anything other then the bikes they market.

In that my closest bike shop is a 35 mile trip into Austin Texas that takes over an hour each way, Amazon has been a life saver!

And that's not for just bike parts. I am getting my car parts, lubricants, appliance parts, HVAC parts and other items from Amazon as well. Yep, Jeff has got plenty of my money in his pockets for sure.

So am I on the Cuff? Not really, in the long run I am personally breaking even... Go Figure...
Old 10-04-23, 12:53 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
preventative maintenance does increase the enjoyment of more ride time.................................

r.e.bold Scheduled AIR REPLACEMENT is a great preventative maintenance procedure. FRESH AIR is lighter, less absorbed moisture, so the bike climbs more betterer and sprints are more fasterer.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 10-04-23, 01:07 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR

My LBS went out of business because in the owner's words he could not get parts.
I do not know the whole story on that one.
Same thing happened to a small (and poorly-run) shop near me. He "couldn't get parts". I took that to mean that he was in arrears with QBP and so they stopped shipping to him.
Old 10-04-23, 01:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
r.e.bold Scheduled AIR REPLACEMENT is a great preventative maintenance procedure. FRESH AIR is lighter, less absorbed moisture, so the bike climbs more betterer and sprints are more fasterer.
Modern air meets current standards & is incompliant with local ordnances as well as HOAs.
Old 10-04-23, 02:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
It's called loss leader pricing, which is selling a good below its production cost in order to attract customers. It is illegal to sell goods below production cost in about half the US states, and some other states ban the practice for specific items; some countries ban it, too. However, I doubt that there is much enforcement, at least here in the US, since it would be difficult to prove -- and also because it likely doesn't reduce consumer well-being. It's often sound business practice to sell goods below cost, as that would sometimes entail lower losses than sticking to the original price. (Think about day-old bread as a simple example.)

Note that, along with mislabeling it as "dumping," icemilkcoffee 's claim that companies used to be "broken up" for doing this is simply false.
Like the Corvette?

Old 10-04-23, 03:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Same thing happened to a small (and poorly-run) shop near me. He "couldn't get parts". I took that to mean that he was in arrears with QBP and so they stopped shipping to him.
The really well run shop that built my super fly, custom ti frame and once won best MTB at NAHBS (twice) closed the LBS portion of the business because of a very tough time getting bikes and part. My ex’s $10,000 build was delayed for many months for unavailability of parts. Had nothing to do with the business being broke. After all, the builder was able to get high grade titanium for the frame, and he machines parts for other businesses.
Old 10-04-23, 05:34 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
3:45 pm - Bike shop a few miles away that I try to support doesn't have 6omm either.
No wonder. You needed "60mm", not "6omm". A simple typo resulted in your getting unjustifiably disappointed in your local bike shop...
Likes For AndreyT:
Old 10-04-23, 06:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
Now ask yourself why the LBS didn't have the item in stock. Because it isn't free to stock an item. Warehouse space costs money -- enormous money on Amazon's scale. As does parceling out that "massive bulk" order to thousands of warehouses, so that there's stock close enough to OP to enable same-day delivery.

This is partly why Amazon's retail profit margin is so low that it could never survive as an independent business, without being subsidized by AWS. And why Amazon engages in illegal activity to bust union development, because unions will kill it dead if allowed to flourish.
Partially semi correct in a way but no Amazon would not die from unions or just treating employees with respect. When the founder of your company has more wealth than the GDP of most countries in the entire world it is not a low profit margin they are dealing with. They do fine.

In terms of warehouses they get massive tax breaks and lots of incentives to come to different areas they aren't some poor company barely scraping by they are a multi billion dollar company. Sure AWS helps and they make good money from that but they are again doing just fine on their own. If they are telling you they are struggling that is a massive joke on their part.
Old 10-04-23, 06:51 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Partially semi correct in a way but no Amazon would not die from unions or just treating employees with respect.
Amazon retail will die if unions proliferate among its employees before robots can do all the work. That's precisely why Amazon engages in blatantly illegal tactics to stop unionization -- any penalties they might be assessed are preferable to going out of business.

When the founder of your company has more wealth than the GDP of most countries in the entire world it is not a low profit margin they are dealing with. They do fine.
You are either ignorant of the situation or shilling for Amazon for some reason. Amazon retail's profit margin is just 1 or 2 percent -- and that's a fairly recent development, Amazon retail burned money for many years until the pandemic. That is insufficient to survive, and investors would do better just buying CDs (not the music kind, fyi ).

Bezos does not make his money from retail, and neither does the company.

In terms of warehouses they get massive tax breaks and lots of incentives to come to different areas they aren't some poor company barely scraping by they are a multi billion dollar company.
A multi-billion dollar retail company whose revenues barely cover their expenses -- which is the whole point that you seem unable to grasp.

Last edited by TC1; 10-04-23 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-04-23, 07:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
Amazon retail will die if unions proliferate among its employees before robots can do all the work. That's precisely why Amazon engages in blatantly illegal tactics to stop unionization -- any penalties they might be assessed are preferable to going out of business.

You are either ignorant of the situation or shilling for Amazon for some reason. Amazon retail's profit margin is just 1 or 2 percent. That is insufficient to survive, and investors would do better just buying CDs (not the music kind, fyi ).

Bezos does not make his money from retail, and neither does the company.

A multi-billion dollar retail company whose revenues barely cover their expenses -- which is the whole point that you seem unable to grasp.
HAHAHAHA you think I am a shill for Amazon! You are new here for sure! I do not care for Amazon one bit. Amazon will not die if they unionize and that is not why they are doing illegal anti-union things they are doing it because they feel it cuts into their personal profits and you cannot be in the top 5 billionaires club if you are treating employees well and supporting unionizing, so they think.

Again Amazon is not some broke company struggling to get by and your insistence on a narrative that ends like that is just silly.

I know what a CD is both kinds (country and western, watch the original Blues Brothers movie if this one flies over your head but maybe laughing is not your thing, I don't know)
Old 10-04-23, 07:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Tough crowd.

Old 10-04-23, 07:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by AndreyT
No wonder. You needed "60mm", not "6omm". A simple typo resulted in your getting unjustifiably disappointed in your local bike shop...
OMG. You ever made a typo?

Old 10-04-23, 07:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
It's called loss leader pricing

Note that, along with mislabeling it as "dumping," icemilkcoffee 's claim that companies used to be "broken up" for doing this is simply false.
Must be confusing it with companies flooding the market, usually with commodities.

But charging people $140 a year to occasionally ship them some inner tubes they bought with S&H green stamps is not exactly the same
Old 10-04-23, 07:52 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
If it was late 2020 thru early 2022, there might have been another explanation for not being able to get parts.
Old 10-04-23, 08:03 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by prj71

3.) Wear and tear on car

I mostly order online from bicycle shops. Often cheaper than Amazon and stories of AMZN selling counterfeit bike parts are worrisome to me.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.