Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brake handles on Australian bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Brake handles on Australian bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-23, 10:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I feel like the U.S. is mostly by itself on having the front brake on the left. I never understood that preference anyway, it has never caused me any problems to have the front brake on the right.
Old 10-07-23, 11:05 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
I feel like the U.S. is mostly by itself on having the front brake on the left. I never understood that preference anyway, it has never caused me any problems to have the front brake on the right.
The story I have been told many times. Is that most people are right handed and this is a safety issue. My most recent bicycle purchase was my Co-Motion Pangea Rohloff. Even after requesting the brakes to be setup with the front on the right side. The mechanic still set it up for the left. I took it home and did it myself. this cost them a repeat customer.
Old 10-07-23, 11:40 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Europe is also left hand. UK being an exception.
Old 10-07-23, 11:41 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
If you are left-handed you want the front brake on the right, so you can smoke while descending and still have good braking.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 10-07-23, 04:11 PM
Paul_P

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_P
Because of my motorcyling years (long ago) I'm still never sure which lever does what, which can be a problem when I have to decide quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollagain
Yeah, you don't want to be grabbing the brake lever every time you want to shift gears.

What could possibly go wrong?
I believe we're talking brakes, not shifters.

One example : If I have to brake while turning on pavement covered in sand, I'm not going to touch my front brake as I prefer a rear skid to falling flat on my face.
It often has to be quick reflex, and became one on a motorcycle, but ever since going back to cycling I can't help but hesitate the time to figure what I shouldn't do.

I seem to vaguely recall that I may have intially made my bicyle brakes conform to what I was used to, but that disappeared through the new bikes that followed.
Old 10-07-23, 05:09 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
If you are left-handed you want the front brake on the right, so you can smoke while descending and still have good braking.
Even though the best place to smoke a cigarette is on top of a big hill when your lungs are still burning from the climb?
Old 10-07-23, 11:47 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Do the other RHD countries do right front braking? I know we have some folks here from Japan
Old 10-09-23, 02:35 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I always assumed it was to do with the fact that in the UK, Australia and NZ we drive on the left-hand side of the road, although I'm not entirely clear why that matters. It means that if you're indicating and turning right, across the oncoming traffic, you'd only have access to the rear brake. Personally, I've always felt it would be better to have access to the front brake, but I'm now so conditioned to having the front brake on the right I don't think I'd want to change.In any case, if I'm doing more than gentle braking I want to have both hands on the bars so it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 10-09-23, 09:32 AM
Paul_P

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I always assumed it was to do with the fact that in the UK, Australia and NZ we drive on the left-hand side of the road, although I'm not entirely clear why that matters. It means that if you're indicating and turning right, across the oncoming traffic, you'd only have access to the rear brake. Personally, I've always felt it would be better to have access to the front brake, but I'm now so conditioned to having the front brake on the right I don't think I'd want to change.In any case, if I'm doing more than gentle braking I want to have both hands on the bars so it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.
Your suggestion that the issue is related to hand signals makes a lot of sense to me.
When driving on the right, all signals are (supposed to be) with the left arm and if I'm only going to have access to one brake, I want it to be the rear.
I imagine that this is true also for those of you on the left side of the road.
Old 10-09-23, 06:33 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_P
Your suggestion that the issue is related to hand signals makes a lot of sense to me.
When driving on the right, all signals are (supposed to be) with the left arm and if I'm only going to have access to one brake, I want it to be the rear.
I imagine that this is true also for those of you on the left side of the road.
Bike signaling only with one arm has never made sense to me. When cars didn’t all come with indicator lights, the driver side arm doing the signaling only makes sense, because you can’t just reach across most vehicles and point your arm out the window, as you can with the window on the door next to you. But on a bike? I can just point with either arm which way I’m going to go, and so use the arm that is on the side of my intended direction.
Likes For David_Harris:
Old 10-10-23, 03:43 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by David_Harris
Bike signaling only with one arm has never made sense to me. When cars didn’t all come with indicator lights, the driver side arm doing the signaling only makes sense, because you can’t just reach across most vehicles and point your arm out the window, as you can with the window on the door next to you. But on a bike? I can just point with either arm which way I’m going to go, and so use the arm that is on the side of my intended direction.
Yes, totally agree. If I started using my right arm to indicate I was turning left I'd leave a trail of confused and angry drivers behind me. Since it's over 45 years since I took my driving test I don't even know if hand signals are still taught in the UK; it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't.

As it happens, it isn't uncommon for me not to indicate that I'm turning left, or to leave it quite late, in order to avoid having drivers dive in front me.
Old 10-10-23, 07:51 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
Yes, totally agree. If I started using my right arm to indicate I was turning left I'd leave a trail of confused and angry drivers behind me. Since it's over 45 years since I took my driving test I don't even know if hand signals are still taught in the UK; it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't.

As it happens, it isn't uncommon for me not to indicate that I'm turning left, or to leave it quite late, in order to avoid having drivers dive in front me.
Damn, you made me check

From
https://theorytest.org.uk/direction-signals-2/
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...her-road-users
These are the other arm signals that drivers use to other drivers:
  1. Left turn= Right arm out and rotating forward
  2. Right turn = Right arm out and palm facing forward
  3. Slow down or stop = Right arm out, palm down and moving up and down
Reads to me like cyclists can also use (1).
Old 10-10-23, 08:11 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Damn, you made me check

From
https://theorytest.org.uk/direction-signals-2/
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...her-road-users
These are the other arm signals that drivers use to other drivers:
  1. Left turn= Right arm out and rotating forward
  2. Right turn = Right arm out and palm facing forward
  3. Slow down or stop = Right arm out, palm down and moving up and down
Reads to me like cyclists can also use (1).
I reckon 99/100 motorists wouldn't have a clue that you were about to turn left using that method. But they all understand what pointing with your left hand means.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-10-23, 08:14 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I reckon 99/100 motorists wouldn't have a clue that you were about to turn left using that method. But they all understand what pointing with your left hand means.
Yep, I wouldn't actually use it, too many idiots around without confusing them more.
Old 10-10-23, 08:38 AM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Thats nothing. Wait until you see which way the toilet water swirls. Prepare to have your mind blown.
Old 10-10-23, 09:26 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
This.

Spent a year in Australia some years back and my wife bought a bike there. That was the point I noticed this difference.

But I had my US bike there, so my brakes were on the "wrong" side. I don't recall it making any difference to me, when signaling or otherwise. I suppose if I had had to do some sudden braking while signaling, it could have had an effect, but generally I would not be using my arm to signal if I though there was a chance that I needed a sudden stop.
Old 10-10-23, 11:19 AM
escuta

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts
Funny, I'm an Australian. I never rode a bike there (no longer live there) with the front brake on the right lever. And that's going back to the 70s. Perhaps it varies from state to state.

Last edited by escuta; 10-10-23 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-10-23, 07:56 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
In the UK, market standards and laws dictate that bikes sold must have the front brake operated by a lever on the right hand side of the bars and the rear brake by a lever on the left hand side of the bars. I have found this convention common in former commonwealth countries such as Australia.
In the US by CPSC regulation bikes with hand brake(s) must have the rear brake on the right and front brake on the left when sold new retail: 16CFR Part 1512.5 B8

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-1...er-C/part-1512

Once it's sold you can do anything with it you want or have the dealer do it.
Old 10-10-23, 08:13 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
8) Hand lever location. The rear brake shall be actuated by a control located on the right handlebar and the front brake shall be actuated by a control located on the left handlebar. The left-hand/right-hand locations may be reversed in accordance with an individual customer order. If a single hand lever is used to actuate both front and rear brakes, it shall meet all applicable requirements for hand levers and shall be located on either the right or left handlebar in accordance with the customer's preference.
In the US by CPSC regulation bikes with hand brake(s) must have the rear brake on the right and front brake on the left when sold new retail: 16CFR Part 1512.5 B8
Even though worded different than the official CPSC site. The hand brakes don't have to only be setup for the rear brake on the right side. I have also been told that their insurance person requires the brakes to be wired up this way also.
Old 10-10-23, 08:16 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Back when there were exposed brake cables I tried out having my dominant hand using the front brake. It was great. my right hand had much better control when it came to modulating my front brake, up to being able to stop even with my rear wheel off the ground without going over the handlebars. The change for me came when aero brake levers came onto the scene. With brake cables under the bar tape, it became more difficult to have the same level of brake control with the extra friction of the very tight curvature of the cable coming out of the bar tape on the right side of the bar and having to get to the right side of the brake calliper. With external brake cables this was never an issue
Old 10-11-23, 11:49 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by kommisar
Thats nothing. Wait until you see which way the toilet water swirls. Prepare to have your mind blown.
Which way does the water swirl at the equator? Or does it?

Old 10-11-23, 11:55 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Rented a stick-shift car in S. Africa. Not only was it a challenge driving on the left (not to mention people and random animals on the highways) but the turn signals are also reversed with the window/windscreen wipers. Think I activated the wipers about a half dozen times.

And then there was walking and crouching in the bush 20 feet from a mother rhino and her baby. That got the adrenaline pumping.

Old 10-11-23, 02:21 PM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
If I remember calculus class right it must pass through zero, so I say no swirl.
Likes For kommisar:
Old 10-12-23, 08:05 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by rsbob
I believe it's a myth on the scale of water in a sink. Tropical storms rotate in opposite directions, but not bathtub drains where the effect is too small to influence the direction of rotation.
Old 10-12-23, 09:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I believe it's a myth on the scale of water in a sink. Tropical storms rotate in opposite directions, but not bathtub drains where the effect is too small to influence the direction of rotation.
I was thinking toilets, but you are probably on to something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.