Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stolen Trek 610, Chicago

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stolen Trek 610, Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-19, 02:57 PM
OLB

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Cannondale R500, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 1991 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Yes, it could be, IF the bike turns up somewhere, as proof that the bike is yours.

I don't know if it's still the case, but the 'Swap A Rama' flea market on the S side was apparently quite a fencing ground for bikes and other stolen items. There was a small group of vigilantes who were going down there with a list of recently stolen bikes from the registry. If they spotted a bike they were sure was stolen, they'd go over as if to buy it then simply grab and hold it while one person went to get security for the event. The sellers would typically argue but then quickly pack up and leave. Sellers were described as sketchy types, in a ratty van with a bunch of random bikes, which they knew nothing about when asked.

This was all discussed several years ago on the local cycling site chainlink.org. Might be worth your while to check out. Not a very active site lately, unfortunately.

BTW: thinktubes and Chr0m0ly...we are neighbors, at least Chr0m0ly is, probably within a 10 min ride. There's a small group of us vintage fans who get together for Sunday rides, parts swaps, etc. Drop me a line!

I'll keep an eye out for it. I also have an 84 610, so I always notice them when I occasionally run across one.
Regarding the Swap o Rama, a friend of mine had hers stolen on the near west side (West Town or so) on a weeknight and was able to recover it that same weekend at the one on S. Ashland. The seller gave it up when challenged with pictures and the threat of involving security/police.
Old 10-24-19, 03:10 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
I would also check with thrift stores and pawn shops in the area. Places someone gathering drug money could unload it without any online presence.
I agree 100% on the pawn shops. Some are honest, some aren't. Not so sure about thrift stores though, unless you mean the swap meet/reseller kind. 🤔 Most thrift stores rely on donations, and wouldn't give a thief a nickle for any bike.
Old 10-24-19, 04:04 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 321 Posts
Recent Curious City segment:

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aH...=1571954610846
Old 10-25-19, 08:17 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Also check the shop on Western and Bryn Mawr, especially if it’s near your apartment. A stolen bike or two has been known to turn up there.
Old 10-25-19, 08:25 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
I'll be able to check around Monday, I'm out at a wedding for the moment. But checking the pawnshops and bike shops is a smart call.
Gah, I wish I was in town!
Old 10-25-19, 08:27 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I'll keep an eye out for it downstate. Pretty distinctive bike.
Old 10-25-19, 09:07 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
In addition to the Ashland swap-o-rama, check out the Maxwell Street flea market just south of the Loop. Fair warning, that is one long flea market, it'll take some time to go the whole length.
Old 10-25-19, 09:37 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
Also check the shop on Western and Bryn Mawr, especially if it’s near your apartment. A stolen bike or two has been known to turn up there.
That shop has been around quite a while, checkered past. They are legit. They do get, and return, stolen bikes. Go talk to them anyway.

Bikes are mostly stolen by complete idiots. It is almost impossible to sell a hot bike. A distinctive quality bike even harder to sell. The idiots do walk them into the shops. Just for example, was talking to the guy who repairs my cars. Says in the twenty-odd years he's been in business roughly one bike a week is offered to him. With a story that it is a family bike. Or some stupid story. Mostly he, or his employees, tell the fool to get lost. Because the proprietor's father is an avid cyclist who rides a 60s Paramount he does get involved when someone brings in a nice older bike. And suffers the time-consuming nonsense dished out by the cops.

Most stolen bikes in Chicago get passed off to neighborhood kids. For free. Thief can't unload them for money, doesn't want the hot stuff around. When the kid breaks the bike he could just walk into a spot like Bryn Mawr and try for help/ a free repair. More likely when the bike breaks the kid drops it in the alley. When I took the circular for my wife's stolen Falcon to that shop every employee already knew about it. They all read the stolen bike registry daily. They were happy to post the larger photo I supplied them.
Old 10-25-19, 11:41 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 2,393 Times in 895 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
In addition to the Ashland swap-o-rama, check out the Maxwell Street flea market just south of the Loop. Fair warning, that is one long flea market, it'll take some time to go the whole length.
Looking on the bright side, you can pick up some tube socks while you're there.
Old 10-25-19, 01:51 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Looking on the bright side, you can pick up some tube socks while you're there.
I hear tubeless socks are faster!
Old 10-25-19, 01:56 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Originally Posted by 63rickert
That shop has been around quite a while, checkered past. They are legit. They do get, and return, stolen bikes. Go talk to them anyway.
I am near that shop, I'll check on Monday

Bikes are mostly stolen by complete idiots. It is almost impossible to sell a hot bike. A distinctive quality bike even harder to sell. The idiots do walk them into the shops. Just for example, was talking to the guy who repairs my cars. Says in the twenty-odd years he's been in business roughly one bike a week is offered to him. With a story that it is a family bike. Or some stupid story. Mostly he, or his employees, tell the fool to get lost. Because the proprietor's father is an avid cyclist who rides a 60s Paramount he does get involved when someone brings in a nice older bike. And suffers the time-consuming nonsense dished out by the cops.

Most stolen bikes in Chicago get passed off to neighborhood kids.
24" will be a big bike for a kiddo! :-) For free. Thief can't unload them for money, doesn't want the hot stuff around. When the kid breaks the bike he could just walk into a spot like Bryn Mawr and try for help/ a free repair. More likely when the bike breaks the kid drops it in the alley. When I took the circular for my wife's stolen Falcon to that shop every employee already knew about it. I've got a pic up on the registry They all read the stolen bike registry daily. They were happy to post the larger photo I supplied them.
I think I will put up flyers when I get home.
Old 10-25-19, 02:03 PM
Sophylong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My condolences. Never personally had a bike stolen, but here in the greater Seattle Metro area thieves are popping U-Locks in broad daylight. It's amazing the nerve of some people.
Old 10-25-19, 02:09 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Thought I'd found it!
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/...005063468.html

But unless they swapped everything off the frame, artfully added dust and chipped the paint, it ain't mine.

Good to see finding a replacement is possible, if it comes down to that.
Old 10-25-19, 05:55 PM
63rickert

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
I had a Trek 612, 1982 or 83, that I bought from the framebuilder. One of the original Trek guys. He asked me not to use his name so I won't. Had been his personal town bike for 30 years and he was done with it, practically gave it away. Before sale he'd done stuff like all new NOS stickers, including the little ones that never survive, NOS 1982 handlebar tape, NOS 1982 tires. Tiny stuff no one would think of. And since he was a painter he'd painted it too, in the color he wanted back then. Not a catalog color. Obviously original Trek paint, but catalog incorrect. That just completely threw Trekkies. Everyone was puzzled, being puzzled they accused me of being a thief. I got smeared all over town. So remember when people start talking bike theft they soon get crazy. Bike theft is crazy and it makes crazy. If you get this one back it will be a simple simple story. Pay no attention to the crazy. Look for your bike.
Old 10-27-19, 06:16 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
I hope you can find your bike.

Best!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-27-19, 09:27 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
I'm not even angry, just sad. And no, I don't have the serial number, it's probably just gone.
I have a bunch of bikes, nicer, more collectable bikes, but this one just clicked for me. It was responsive but not twitchy, just like, a very happy medium between a cushy touring bike and a stiff racebike. An all day kind of bike.
And all original, beautiful condition.

Ugh.

It was in the garage, with several more expensive bikes. The lock is super stiff and I had broken the key off in it yesterday. To prevent another broken key I've been turning it almost all the way, and stopping before the "click". That's when it broke the key yesterday.

I must have been careless pulling the key and unlocked it, because when I went down this evening to ride that bike to class, the door was unlocked and it was gone.

Like I said, there were other bikes that were passed over, I'm very lucky they only snagged the one.

I just got back inside from moving the nicer ones into the basement storage. The few less desirable bikes are all locked together now, and the garage is double checked.

It's my own carelessness. I should have double checked that door. I'm going to miss that 610.
I’m so sorry, but it’s not your fault. No one is 100% vigilant, and there are scum that take advantage of it. Some of my favorite bikes are not my most valuable, or impressive...so that has nothing to do with it.

Do you have bike messengers in your town? If so, they’re a great resource in turning stuff up, they hate thieves, and are often willing to help. You know the other part...talk to the shops, and any co-ops.