Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best way to cut steerer tube?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Best way to cut steerer tube?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 06:44 PM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I cut my steering tube with a fiber laser cutting machine . I want to tell you that this is something surprising, this machine can not only smoothly cut metal, but also has a sharp cut that made it possible to perfectly cut the pipe. I was told that a laser metal cutting machine has many different possibilities for working with metal, such as drilling, cutting and marking in small sizes.
Old 06-17-20, 07:28 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by nob
I cut my steering tube with a fiber laser cutting machine . I want to tell you that this is something surprising, this machine can not only smoothly cut metal, but also has a sharp cut that made it possible to perfectly cut the pipe. I was told that a laser metal cutting machine has many different possibilities for working with metal, such as drilling, cutting and marking in small sizes.
I assume this suggestion is made in jest. Sure, it will probably work but what does something like this cost? I expect it's the price of a decent new car. Can you say "overkill"?
Old 06-17-20, 07:41 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
The OP says he's near a Trek store, so a hardware store can't be far off. A hacksaw is cheaper than a high quality pipe cutter that can handle 1" high strength steel.

You can make your own cutting guide, if you have access to some tools, that's better than a pipe clamp. Take a stub of 2x4, bore a 1" hole through it with a drill press, then cut a perpendicular slot with a circular saw or table saw.
Old 06-17-20, 10:20 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Look at Park Tools and at the tool board of any reputable LBS and you will NOT find a pipe cutter for steer tubes. They simply are NOT used. Think about it, pipe cutters are fast and make a nice square end edge, so shops would use them if they were the right way to do it. They are not. You MAY have cut yours successfully, but trust me, this is NOT the tool to use.

Pipe cutters do two things to metal tubes: They cut by pressure, manually manipulating the metal, which increases the diameter of the end of the tube as they cut as well as put a round protrusion on the inside edge of the cut. The pipe cutter cold works the metal as it cuts, so doing this to aluminum, and especially heat-treated aluminum is simply a bad idea. Installing a star nut, or other fastener will be difficult or impossible unless you re-size the inside edge. But more importantly is what a pipe cutter does to the top 1/4" of the tube. You may have difficulty fitting headset spacers and the stem over the top of the tube, which would require resizing the OD. This SHOULD be done on a lathe, but who would do that? Instead, the average mechanic would use a file to get the proper OD. This obviously introduces all sorts of inconsistencies to the tube diameter. Not what you want when depending on stem clamps to maintain headset bearing preload, and secure fit.

And obviously, carbon cannot be cut this way.

So to anyone reading this thread, the industry-approved way to cut tubes is with a sharp hacksaw blade, cutting oil and a guide. A file is then used to finish the end and chamfer the inside and outside edges. A Dremel can be used as well. A grinder can be used, but with caution because it's easy to remove too much material and affect your final cut length.
I guess Whiskey Parts didn't get the memo:

Every shop I worked at usually had some old Rigid pipe cutter laying around. We rarely used it, primarily due to the cutters were always trashed. A single cut on aluminum was usually enough to damage them. A few years back we were assembling a Colnago, I forget if it was a Master or an Arabesque, but the Colnago factory rep happened to show up at the shop right around the time we were cutting the steerer. He started yelling at us in mixed Italian & English when he saw the saw guide and hacksaw, and started circling one hand around the other. We finally figured out he wanted us to use a pipe cutter. One of the other mechanics found it and set it on the bench and the rep was happy. I guess they didn't get the memo either.
Old 06-17-20, 10:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Best, you ask?

https://www.parktool.com/product/thr...saw-guide-sg-6
Old 11-10-20, 10:59 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5464 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
I'm replacing my forks. The new one needs to be cut. I think I understand that.
My questions,
1) I should be able to remove and reuse the bearing race from the old fork, shouldn't I?
2) Is that star nut removable/reusable? I'm thinking no, and I'll need a new one.
3) After I remove the old bearing race, I just need to measure the old tube and cut the new one to the same length, correct?
I'm just making sure before I proceed.
Old 11-10-20, 11:22 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
1. Yes, the "crown race" should be removable from the old fork and transferred to the new one. Be careful to pry or tap it loose evenly around it's circumference or use a specific crown race removal tool to avoid distorting it.
2. Yes, you will need a new star nut. They are usually removed destructively and are not reusable.
3. Yes, unless you want to change your bar height and/or are using a new stem with a different clamp height. I recommend cutting the new one a bit longer and riding the bike that way to see if you want to make any changes. Once you are sure the bar position is where you want it, make a final steerer cut.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 11-10-20, 11:24 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
In case this hasn't been mentioned.....Do NOT use a pipe cutter on a carbon steerer, If you are going to cut a carbon steerer make sure you have a blade made for cutting carbon or a hacksaw blade with at least 32 TPI.
Old 11-10-20, 11:35 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
What I'm really asking is: roller tube cutter vs. saw and guide?

So, I've got this new fork and I need to cut the steerer down to size. I could just take it over to the Trek dealer nearby and have them do it for me for a small fee (they'll probably even do it for free for a longtime customer,) or I could buy the tools I need and do it myself (which is... just better.)

I had some experience cutting piping when I worked at my late mechanical engineer dad's shop way back when, which is why I'd rather have the cleaner, rounder, more precise cut that I believe a quality roller cutter can produce compared to the rougher, less precise cut of a saw, even if it has been used with a guide.

That said, I can buy a quality roller tube cutter locally and use that, whereas I'll have to order a saw guide online if I go the saw-and-guide route.

The steerer in question is steel, which may or may not matter as to which of the two cutting methods is best.

So, could you fellow wrenchers give me guidance? (excuse the pun )
Any fine-tooth hacksaw will do the job. I'd invest in a new 12" blade. I use a cheap threadless stem as a cutting guide - the top is a bit scratched up, but it works. Same blade will work for CF steerers - just don't lean on the saw - let the blade do the work, and it'll cut rather than rip. I cut CF outdoors, and wet everything down with a hose before I start and occasionally during the cut to keep dust down. After you dry off the fork, a but of sanding to finish off the edge - or filing in the case of metal steerers - and then a little sanding. I've cut steel, Al and CF this way - never a problem.
Old 11-10-20, 12:32 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I merely hacksawed mine (steel). I am not OCD, so it just had to be short enough to not be annoying, and long enough to allow for some adjusting (with spacers). I then obviously filed down the edges - mostly because of potential stress-risers.

For cutting CF I have a Dremel-like tool with CF cuting wheel - "diamond", I think. haven't had a steerer made from CF, but have cut other CF tubes with it. I just drew a line with a paint marker and cut along that. If you're OCD, that is probably not the way to do it.. I also file those things down to stop stress risers, and usually use a little epoxy or superglue to close the ends of the cut fibres so it won't wick moisture (which then freezes and delaminates the thing - potentially).
Old 11-10-20, 12:42 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I'm replacing my forks. The new one needs to be cut. I think I understand that.
My questions,
1) I should be able to remove and reuse the bearing race from the old fork, shouldn't I?
2) Is that star nut removable/reusable? I'm thinking no, and I'll need a new one.
3) After I remove the old bearing race, I just need to measure the old tube and cut the new one to the same length, correct?
I'm just making sure before I proceed.
Originally Posted by HillRider
1. Yes, the "crown race" should be removable from the old fork and transferred to the new one. Be careful to pry or tap it loose evenly around it's circumference or use a specific crown race removal tool to avoid distorting it.
2. Yes, you will need a new star nut. They are usually removed destructively and are not reusable.
3. Yes, unless you want to change your bar height and/or are using a new stem with a different clamp height. I recommend cutting the new one a bit longer and riding the bike that way to see if you want to make any changes. Once you are sure the bar position is where you want it, make a final steerer cut.
If the replaced fork is junk, cut the steerer just below the star nut and tap it out in the direction it went in, reuse it.
Old 11-10-20, 05:38 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I assume this suggestion is made in jest. Sure, it will probably work but what does something like this cost? I expect it's the price of a decent new car. Can you say "overkill"?
More like decent new super-car. A kW scale fiber laser will cost around $100-500k. But it's useful when you need the steer cut down by EXACTLY 20.3mm.
Old 11-10-20, 07:38 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I use both a pipe cutter and a saw/cutoff wheel. Use the pipe cutter to cut it part way marking a perfectly square ring, than switch to an angle grinder to make the final cut.

Best of both worlds, square edge and no ridge to ream
Old 11-10-20, 08:12 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I've always cut metal steerers with a hacksaw, but if I had a pipe cutter at hand I'd probably use it to just mark the steerer and then cut it with the hacksaw - similar to above.
Old 11-21-20, 08:29 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Originally Posted by 02Giant
If the replaced fork is junk, cut the steerer just below the star nut and tap it out in the direction it went in, reuse it.
I thought about that but I'm not sure if its junk.
Old 11-21-20, 08:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I thought about that but I'm not sure if its junk.
...if the support rebound is gone, and you can't get parts to rebuild it, it's junk.
If you could get the parts to rebuild it, not sure why you bought a new fork.

If you could find the parts to rebuild the old one, but it was cheaper and easier to buy a new one, the old one is still junk.
Old 11-22-20, 07:26 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...if the support rebound is gone, and you can't get parts to rebuild it, it's junk.
If you could get the parts to rebuild it, not sure why you bought a new fork.

If you could find the parts to rebuild the old one, but it was cheaper and easier to buy a new one, the old one is still junk.
It's junk i'll pitch it oh well i wasted $5 and change on a new nut