Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Pedestrian with cell phone :)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 11:11 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Sorry, cannot resist (title should be: texting pedestrian)

Old 06-10-17, 05:47 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
BTW Texas finally made texting while driving, illegal. It just took the deaths of a group of bus riders to finally get this to pass.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.wfaa....-law/446402851

And yet some still diagree...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...ates/98503644/

The former governor of Texas, Rick Perry, said that such a law was "micromanaging adults." Perhaps, but when adults cannot well manage themselves, no doubt someone has to do it for them. Or the results end up like this:
DPS: Pickup driver admits to texting, taking medication before crashing into church bus | KLEW
Old 06-10-17, 05:51 AM
genec
genec

No doubt, in spite of the video in the OP, and the varous other videos on the net that show people doing dumb things while distracted while texting... some still believe it is OK to text and drive.
Old 06-10-17, 08:53 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
No doubt, in spite of the video in the OP, and the varous other videos on the net that show people doing dumb things while distracted while texting... some still believe it is OK to text and drive.
Really? Can YOU quote/cite ANYBODY stating that he/she believes "it is OK to text and drive"?
Old 06-10-17, 09:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Had to get the attention of someone walking, with an umbrella , not watching anything but their phone.
Old 06-10-17, 10:22 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Really? Can YOU quote/cite ANYBODY stating that he/she believes "it is OK to text and drive"?
Nope, cannot quote anyone saying that... but the evidence of people doing it, and then killing others, means that at some point those texting folks thought it was OK.

Also some surveys have been done of teen drivers who admit to texting and driving... so apparently they too thought it was OK to do.

According to AAA, 46% percent of all teenage drivers admit to text messaging while driving, and that says nothing of the teens who won’t own up to the practice. 51% admit to talking on the cell phone while driving, though most of us who know teens would probably estimate that figure to be closer to 99%.
46% of Teenagers Admit to Text Messaging While Driving : Driver?s Ed Guru

Even the sites out there on the web that say texting and driving laws should not exist, still believe that texting is distracting... they just want drivers to hold the phones up to eye level, so it is obvious who is doing it.
You see, before driving while texting became illegal, motorists didn’t have to hide the activity. Even if they performed texting in plain view of a police officer while driving through a school zone, there was nothing the police could do. But things have changed. Now that the practice is illegal, people keep their phones hidden while they text and drive. So now, instead of the phone being up above the steering wheel where drivers can still see the road, they hold the phone down by their lap or under the steering wheel. This allows them to read or write a text out of view from the police.
https://www.drive-safely.net/driving-while-texting/

Oh, just for you... I did find this...
Report: Texting While Driving Okay If You Look Up Every Couple Seconds - The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old 06-10-17, 10:33 AM
vol

What if she was J-walking and suddenly emerged from between parked cars in front of one of us, or walked toward the wheel of a 18 wheeler that is about to move, or a dozing alligator.
Old 06-10-17, 11:28 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by vol
What if she was J-walking and suddenly emerged from between parked cars in front of one of us, or walked toward the wheel of a 18 wheeler that is about to move, or a dozing alligator.
No doubt, the alligator would have a nice day...
Old 06-10-17, 11:44 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Where are you going with this? She didn't.

Believe it or not, a pedestrian can be held accountable for an auto incident...
Old 06-10-17, 12:41 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
some still believe it is OK to text and drive.
No need for a quote/cite of somebody stating it, as so many demonstrate their belief by their daily actions of texting while driving.
Old 06-10-17, 01:27 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I'm not going to quote anyone but yes, many people have said they can drive as well while texting as others can (on a car forum) while changing the radio station or eating lunch while driving, that seems how they justify their actions...
Old 06-10-17, 01:47 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Letting me down Texas, i thought they would have considered getting rid of the seat belt law
Old 06-10-17, 01:54 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
It would be the same situation in the film we all saw when we took driving lessons showing the little boy chasing after a ball that rolled onto the road in front of you while you were driving. You yield and give the right of way.
Old 06-10-17, 01:59 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
No need for a quote/cite of somebody stating it, as so many demonstrate their belief by their daily actions of texting while driving.
According to two different studies and surveys in 2012 and 2015, texting while driving is the top irritant amongst other drivers. Since so many drivers continue to do this, many still think it's ok without outrightly saying so.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/03/survey-reveals-top-gripes-among-drivers/index.htm?userWantsFull=true

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/viewfinder.expedia.com/news/expedia-2015-road-rage-report-texters-enrage-fellow-drivers-most-edging-tailgaters-and-left-lane-hogs-on-list-of-most-deplorable-driver-behaviors/amp/
Old 06-10-17, 02:20 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Nope, cannot quote anyone saying that... but the evidence of people doing it, and then killing others, means that at some point those texting folks thought it was OK.
Of course there is a reason neither you nor anybody else can quote anyone making the statement about believing that texting is OK while driving. It is your strawman argument, obviously shared by others of your self righteous ilk who claim to know all about what other people believe and why they do what they do or don't do.

Using your line of reasoning, anybody and everybody who commits a crime, breaks the law, or does any anti-social act at all from being obnoxious, using excessively loud or obscene language in public, to child abuse, to committing mass murder, whatever the motivation or reason (or lack of any reason) must believe such acts are OK. After all they do it don't they?
Old 06-10-17, 02:26 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by CB HI
Of course there is no need to quote anybody about what they actually believe, when you can guess and fabricate their beliefs for them and use such statements of belief as the basis of a strawman argument.
Old 06-10-17, 03:16 PM
genec
genec

Of course there is a reason neither you nor anybody else can quote anyone making the statement about believing that texting is OK while driving. It is your strawman argument, obviously shared by others of your self righteous ilk who claim to know all about what other people believe and why they do what they do or don't do.

Using your line of reasoning, anybody and everybody who commits a crime, breaks the law, or does any anti-social act at all from being obnoxious, using excessively loud or obscene language in public, to child abuse, to committing mass murder, whatever the motivation or reason (or lack of any reason) must believe such acts are OK. After all they do it don't they?
Makes one wonder, eh?

Of course one has to ask, what exactly is your belief as to why someone would do something such as the items you mentioned, if they didn't believe that either it was OK, or that they would get away with it... this time. And "even getting away with it" implies a certain knowledge of "wrongdoing."

Last edited by genec; 06-10-17 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-10-17, 03:47 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts

It's hard, many of them are dead and cannot testify.
Old 06-10-17, 03:49 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
PS This kind of posting isn't much better than those about guns, and should have a bike in it somewhere. That and it was all over the news, why make a spectator sport of it?
Old 06-10-17, 03:51 PM
vol

Originally Posted by vol
No doubt, the alligator would have a nice day...
Maybe not if a cyclist hit her. From what I read, the family is seeking "legal counsel". Let's see if NJ will have to pay $$$$$$ for this.

Her sons said she had vision disability, and was looking at the phone to see what time it was when she fell.

'“My mother has poor eyesight from cataracts and multiple surgeries,” he wrote in a posting that has since been removed. “She’s a strong woman who likes to do things on her own like going out for a walk even with her disabilities. Anyone who has met my mom knows this.”'

Texting lady tumbles through open sidewalk doors | New York Post
Old 06-10-17, 04:41 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by vol
Maybe not if a cyclist hit her. From what I read, the family is seeking "legal counsel". Let's see if NJ will have to pay $$$$$$ for this.

Her sons said she had vision disability, and was looking at the phone to see what time it was when she fell.

'“My mother has poor eyesight from cataracts and multiple surgeries,” he wrote in a posting that has since been removed. “She’s a strong woman who likes to do things on her own like going out for a walk even with her disabilities. Anyone who has met my mom knows this.”'

Texting lady tumbles through open sidewalk doors | New York Post
Hey, between you and I, those doors should have had some sort of barrier...

But that doesn't mean that "the distracted" won't still manage to fall.

Do note there is a barrier... She trips over it.
Old 06-10-17, 05:28 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Makes one wonder, eh?

Of course one has to ask, what exactly is your belief as to why someone would do something such as the items you mentioned, if they didn't believe that either it was OK, or that they would get away with it... this time. And "even getting away with it" implies a certain knowledge of "wrongdoing."
Putting the thoughts of "getting away with it" into the heads of your strawmen is no different than fabricating the beliefs or words of your strawmen.
Old 06-10-17, 05:29 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Rollfast
It's hard, many of them are dead and cannot testify.
No harder than fabricating the thoughts and beliefs of live people.
Old 06-10-17, 05:41 PM
genec
genec

Putting the thoughts of "getting away with it" into the heads of your strawmen is no different than fabricating the beliefs or words of your strawmen.
Well we know drivers use cell phones. They have been caught at it, some have confessed... even to texting. Some have been found dead with the phone in hand and the message on the phone. (is that "smoking gun" enough for you?)

What is your WAG as to why they do so?

I think this is well beyond being a strawman... people do text and some die doing so while driving... or they kill others. That is no strawman.

Here's one such story. Driver admitted to texting before crash in Texas, witness says - World - CBC News
and another: WA teen driver admits texting, FaceTiming and Snapchatting leadi - KPTV - FOX 12
and another: Driver in fatal crash says he was texting -- with voice feature - Chronicle-Telegram
and another: UPDATE: Trucker admits to texting in deadly crash that killed GSU students | WSAV-TV
and another... Grand jury charges driver who said she was texting before fatal crash

Strawmen, eh? Those people obviously said "OK" to texting while driving... they did it... and someone died. Strawman... not hardly. Reality.

Last edited by genec; 06-10-17 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-10-17, 06:46 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
re:OP

CBS2 reports that the woman is legally blind and diabetic, and was checking the time on her phone when she walked into the open door. Her son told the station she has difficulty seeing blended colors.

-mr. bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.