Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Ritchey Mountain Bike

Old 06-02-16, 12:15 AM
Drides

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ritchey Mountain Bike

Tom Ritchey, VINTAGE RITCHEY 4130 FRAME TUBING DECAL BLUE
I bought at G sale ,now trying to sell it on kijiji ,no bites.Now i been riding it I may have to keep it.rides nice.
Can I get a little help with true value .Full SHIMANO DEORE componets including the rear U brake.
Front Derailleur: Shimano,Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore,Shifters: Shimano Deore,Crank:Shimano Deore
Joyteck Hubs,18 Speed,Zac 1900 Rims,Innova

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6790.jpg (64.0 KB, 298 views)
IMG_6915.jpg (103.3 KB, 300 views)
IMG_6917.jpg (100.1 KB, 298 views)
IMG_6922.jpg (103.0 KB, 310 views)
IMG_6912.jpg (103.3 KB, 298 views)
Old 06-02-16, 07:28 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
First you need to determine if it is a Ritchey. Second you need to determine the year.

The decal says 'built with' not 'built by'
Old 06-02-16, 07:48 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
Yeah, just because it's built with tubing he specified (which is what the sticker says), doesn't mean it's something he built.

Old 06-21-16, 10:48 PM
Aemmer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I would feel comfortable telling you what you have if I could get the pictures to enlarge. From the very little I can make out, I would guess it is an 85 to 86 B frame. Serial number probably is 8BXX
Old 11-25-18, 06:05 PM
Jharper621

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very early Ritchey mountain bike

Not sure if this is going to work. My brother and I worked for Tom Ritchey when he was getting started in his mountain bike career. We helped him build his log house and as partial payment he built us both bikes to fit us. I believe it was early 1980 and again I believe, just from memory they were 52 and 53. There were no numbers on our bikes. My brothers bike was melted in the Butte fire of 2015 but I still have mine. We would visit Tom as his house after work watching the meticulous brazeing process and before we knew it he had both bike frames done and painted. Our work on the log house was done close to the same time and he said we could pick the bikes up in Sausalito. Well we showed up and in a little garage working on the last details on our bikes were Charles Kelly and Gary Fisher. As I remember they were putting spokes on the Phil Wood hubs. Those are my memories from 38 years ago and I still ride the bike occasionally. Seats have come and gone, I cut an inch off the Madura brake levers and switched out deralers. Amazed that all original sealed bearings are still working fine. Love the bull moose bars and still marvel at all the smoothe lugs, a work of pride for sure. Just thought some of you would enjoy the story!
Old 11-26-18, 12:38 PM
efleigh89

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if its a ritchey at all, id guess it was one of the later mass produced models like the "ascent se" with that brake under the chainstays and all.

Originally Posted by Drides
Tom Ritchey, VINTAGE RITCHEY 4130 FRAME TUBING DECAL BLUE
I bought at G sale ,now trying to sell it on kijiji ,no bites.Now i been riding it I may have to keep it.rides nice.
Can I get a little help with true value .Full SHIMANO DEORE componets including the rear U brake.
Front Derailleur: Shimano,Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore,Shifters: Shimano Deore,Crank:Shimano Deore
Joyteck Hubs,18 Speed,Zac 1900 Rims,Innova

Old 11-26-18, 02:45 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,129 Posts
$150 to $300 in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Brent
Old 11-26-18, 05:47 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by Jharper621
Not sure if this is going to work. My brother and I worked for Tom Ritchey when he was getting started in his mountain bike career. We helped him build his log house and as partial payment he built us both bikes to fit us. I believe it was early 1980 and again I believe, just from memory they were 52 and 53. There were no numbers on our bikes. My brothers bike was melted in the Butte fire of 2015 but I still have mine. We would visit Tom as his house after work watching the meticulous brazeing process and before we knew it he had both bike frames done and painted. Our work on the log house was done close to the same time and he said we could pick the bikes up in Sausalito. Well we showed up and in a little garage working on the last details on our bikes were Charles Kelly and Gary Fisher. As I remember they were putting spokes on the Phil Wood hubs. Those are my memories from 38 years ago and I still ride the bike occasionally. Seats have come and gone, I cut an inch off the Madura brake levers and switched out deralers. Amazed that all original sealed bearings are still working fine. Love the bull moose bars and still marvel at all the smoothe lugs, a work of pride for sure. Just thought some of you would enjoy the story!
Charlie is a member here on the forums. Definitely mtb history right there. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-26-18, 06:08 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Lots of possibilities. Show us much better pics of the brazes. If not a Ritchie, might still be one of a number of great makers. I found a Bridgestone MB3 in a goodwill store that was ritchie tubing. I think Jamis and specialized mtbs have also used the tubing. My 853 Gunnar had Ritchie dropouts. That seatpost cluster looks a lot like Ibis, Novarra, Jamis.... It does look pretty nice.
Old 11-26-18, 07:11 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,374 Times in 890 Posts
Zombie thread - OP long gone.
Old 12-02-18, 02:14 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Whoa! Super cool hidden treasure of this thread.
Old 12-02-18, 04:12 PM
d_dutchison
Classic, Vintage Mechanic

Bikes: '65 Legnano Gran Primeo || '76 Holdsworth Mistral || '82 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
Not sure if this is going to work. My brother and I worked for Tom Ritchey ...
Thanks for a great story, so enjoyed reading it.