Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gigante 3 speed Frankenstein

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-18, 03:13 PM
Buellster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Okay so I dont teally know what I have here but it's a pretty weird set up.
The seller told me he got it from somone who took it on a lot of tours but the paint had gotten really rough so he gave it a rough rattle can paint job. He said all he knew about it was that it was a Gigante. It used to have a brooks seat but that got stolen while it was up for sale so he cut the price way down and gave it to me for 25. I originally wanted it for the seat but I was pretty sure it was running an SA hub in the rear. I asked and he said "yeah it's a Sturmey but it's a single speed" it isnt. It's a 68 AW 3 speed hub sans cables and shifters. I've been looking for one of these laced to a 700c wheel for awhile because I have a 4speed hub and have read the shells are interchnagable. That alone made me feel like this was a good deal.
So I got home and started looking it over and I am not sure what some of these parts are... but I think I may have gotten more of a steal than I thought.

Whole bike sans seat

Guy painted right over the sticker, cant tell what it was. My seat post from my 531 frame is too big around to go in.

I feel like ive seen this engraving on this forum but i cant remmener what brand its associated with and I cant find a photo to compare it too.

Whatever they are they where made for touring aparently

Xrims? Dont know if there good or not.

Formula front hub? Havent heard of it

Stronglight headset.... thats a good sign.

The AW hub he was using as a single speed

Tekero brake levers and sake bullhorns. Didnt know they made bullhorns

Mavic rim on rear

what do I have? Any info on which model of gigante would be greatly appreciated and also info on quality, value, fun of any parts.

thanks!
Old 12-02-18, 04:19 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Buellster
Okay so I dont teally know what I have here but it's a pretty weird set up.
The seller told me he got it from somone who took it on a lot of tours but the paint had gotten really rough so he gave it a rough rattle can paint job. He said all he knew about it was that it was a Gigante. It used to have a brooks seat but that got stolen while it was up for sale so he cut the price way down and gave it to me for 25. I originally wanted it for the seat but I was pretty sure it was running an SA hub in the rear. I asked and he said "yeah it's a Sturmey but it's a single speed" it isnt. It's a 68 AW 3 speed hub sans cables and shifters. I've been looking for one of these laced to a 700c wheel for awhile because I have a 4speed hub and have read the shells are interchnagable. That alone made me feel like this was a good deal.
So I got home and started looking it over and I am not sure what some of these parts are... but I think I may have gotten more of a steal than I thought.
{snip]

I feel like ive seen this engraving on this forum but i cant remmener what brand its associated with and I cant find a photo to compare it too. Whatever they are they where made for touring aparently

[snip]

Formula front hub? Havent heard of it

what do I have? Any info on which model of gigante would be greatly appreciated and also info on quality, value, fun of any parts.

thanks!
A couple of bits I can help with:
  • Gigante = Gitane?
  • Crankset is Sugino Mighty Tour (link), which IMO is desirable because of the 110 BCD (bolt pattern for chain rings). Nice pickup there.
  • The Formula hub / X-rim is low end, and often found when 27" to 700C conversion happened in past
  • The seatpost ID can be helpful to determine quality, but first you need to differentiate between metric and standard tubing. If the bike is a Gitane, it may be metric tubing, and therefore smaller diameter tubing. What it the diameter size of the seatpost you tried?

The mix of parts shown are probably all not original to the bike, except perhaps the Stronglight headset.
Old 12-02-18, 05:27 PM
Buellster

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
A couple of bits I can help with:
The mix of parts shown are probably all not original to the bike, except perhaps the Stronglight headset.
I was assuming it was a mismatch.
Yes Gitane my bad. Auto correct got me there.
  • Crankset is Sugino Mighty Tour (link)- I knew I recognized that logo! Awesome I love the sugino cranks
  • The Formula hub / X-rim is low end, and often found when 27" to 700C conversion happened in past- no worries if I ride it its gonna be a school and back bike so the bolt on front wheel and low end rim/hub is kind of perfect
  • The seatpost ID can be helpful to determine quality, but first you need to differentiate between metric and standard tubing. If the bike is a Gitane, it may be metric tubing, and therefore smaller diameter tubing. What it the diameter size of the seatpost you tried- I tried a 26.7 seat post if I remmener correctly. Im not at home now, but did take this measurment while I was

Old 12-02-18, 05:44 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Ha I thought you said "gigante" because of the frame size.