Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

The Dreaded Stuck Seat Post

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-15-20, 11:18 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts

As the title suggests, I have an aluminum seat post stuck inside a steel frame. I've tried putting PB blaster on it from the topside and from the bottom. I tried using an 18 inch pipe wrench to no avail, and it's now been over a week since I first started trying to un-stick the post from the bike frame. I have no interest in trying any of RJ's shenanigans; I am ready to skip to the end of this process. I have a hacksaw I can use to cut the seat post, but then what? If I cut the post, there will still be a hollow aluminum cylinder stuck inside my bike frame; how do I get it out then?
Old 09-15-20, 11:40 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Turn it upside down and pour sodium hydroxide (lye) solution into the bottle cage holes to dissolve the aluminum.
Old 09-15-20, 11:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Always entertaining .. this is a FAQ posted many times..
Old 09-15-20, 11:49 AM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Trouble with PB blaster is when there's simply no space for it to even get into the affected area. Ideally you would be able to soak the entire seat tube in PB, but that's pretty difficult.

You could try this: If you have enough seat post exposed, try to knock the post (with a 5 lb sledge on a wood block and the frame resting on wood or some sort of padding softer than concrete) deeper into the frame. The idea being that you might break the bond between the post and the tube. Heat and cold sometimes help, but you could really damage the paint and just find yourself more frustrated.
Old 09-15-20, 11:52 AM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Turn it upside down and pour sodium hydroxide (lye) solution into the bottle cage holes to dissolve the aluminum.
Yeah, that's not going to happen. If my only options are "leave it stuck in place forever" or "dissolve the aluminum from the steel," then I'll just leave it stuck in place. I don't have the appropriate space nor do I have the necessary PPE for dealing with high-pH, caustic solutions in my apartment. All I wanted to do was lower my saddle by 0.5-1.0 cm because I got some new pedals, but it sounds like the path of least resistance is to return the new pedals and leave the saddle where it is forever. Done and done.
Old 09-15-20, 11:56 AM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by jp911
Trouble with PB blaster is when there's simply no space for it to even get into the affected area. Ideally you would be able to soak the entire seat tube in PB, but that's pretty difficult.

You could try this: If you have enough seat post exposed, try to knock the post (with a 5 lb sledge on a wood block and the frame resting on wood or some sort of padding softer than concrete) deeper into the frame. The idea being that you might break the bond between the post and the tube. Heat and cold sometimes help, but you could really damage the paint and just find yourself more frustrated.
I tried using the pipe wrench to bang the seat post down, but that was fruitless. I also tried banging on the outside of the seat tube thinking it might break the aluminum oxide free, but that was also no help. I was thinking of trying to use a ratchet strap to get leverage on the seatpost and pull it down into the seat tube that way, but I'm afraid I'll damage the frame. I think it's time to consider that this is the seat post's final resting place.
Old 09-15-20, 11:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
To Get the rest out of the frame..

Hack saw blade out of the saw-frame, laboriously cut into the seat post tubing, to get it out in slices..
Old 09-15-20, 01:33 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Cheap method with some success it to turn bottom bracketless frame upside down and pour enough icewater down seat tube to fill up the seatpost. Let sit for at least 15 mins. and change to fresh icewater once or twice during the process. Have a gallon or so of boiling water ready. Empty out icewater and slowly pour boiling water over the seat tube area surrounding the seatpost. After all the boiling water is used quickly try to twist the seatpost loose with your pipewrench again. Works sometimes and hey, it doesn't cost anything to try.
Old 09-15-20, 02:42 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
You slot the post in a number of spots and need to get a prying tool to peel them away from the seat tube so the post comes out in pieces. .
Old 09-15-20, 02:58 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 1,136 Posts
I'm with surfer on this. I poured in the mix (about 6oz.) and let it sit overnight. I figured I would need enough of the solution to fill the inside of the post and then lap over into the seat tube to get full penetration. Then I used a crescent wrench on the flats of the post, and got out my three foot persuader. Using the top tube and the persuader against each other for leverage. Mine broke free on the first attempt. Be sure to keep the frame upside down during the procedure to allow even more of the juice to work into the space between the post and frame. Then drain the solution out over an oil drip pan to catch the mixture. HTH, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 09-15-20 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 03:22 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Crush the old seat post into a well secured large bench vise (bike upside-down) and use the frame as leverage to free the post from the tube, heat will help as well as several days of soaking with PB blasterbefore attempting extraction