Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

it's been awhile...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

it's been awhile...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 07:09 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 11 Posts
it's been awhile...

I got a notification this evening on an old thread of mine and decided I would chime in. I honestly can't recall the last time I posted on the forum or let alone even lurked around.

I just did the Forest Gump when he just felt like walking and walked away from the forum and cycling in general. Mind you I still have an arsenal of bikes but something clicked or snapped and cycling not longer tickled my pickle.

I walked away from being a store manager at a shop after it left a seriously sour taste in my mouth and never looked back. I still take rides but nothing like I used to. So maybe logging back in will spark the flame again.
Old 11-11-20, 07:21 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 192 Posts
Sometimes breaks are nice. It can help you remember what you really liked about bicycles and get rid of what you didn't. Welcome back for as long as you like.

I know I left the forum basically for 3-5 years and came back. I ride differently and more often again too. You'll find many like you, they may just have returned earlier.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 11-11-20, 07:25 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Welcome back - sounds like you needed a break.
Old 11-11-20, 07:30 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Henry- didn't you make nice saddle bags at one point?

If so, I'm still using it on an old Moots mtb.
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
I still have the special tool roll you made me, Henry - glad to see you putting in an appearance again. Stick around or go on hiatus again, it's all good. I've done the same and will again

DD
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I ebb and flow in my interest. Some days I cant get enough and sometimes I don't do anything bike related for long periods of time. It is all good.
Old 11-11-20, 08:20 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry III
I got a notification this evening on an old thread of mine and decided I would chime in. I honestly can't recall the last time I posted on the forum or let alone even lurked around.

I just did the Forest Gump when he just felt like walking and walked away from the forum and cycling in general. Mind you I still have an arsenal of bikes but something clicked or snapped and cycling not longer tickled my pickle.

I walked away from being a store manager at a shop after it left a seriously sour taste in my mouth and never looked back. I still take rides but nothing like I used to. So maybe logging back in will spark the flame again.
Thanks for checking in, H3. I hope life is treating you well despite the craptastic bits. It's not just you. I've been personally overwhelmed during the last 24 months or so and sometimes it's really hard to get on here. just when I thought it couldn't get worse, the pandemic hit, and a load of work and family drama came along with it.

What I'll say is this: Despite all the gibberish life has handed me, I can't tell you how many BF'ers I've helped get through it, and how many here have also stepped up to help me through life: Finishing projects that've been stretching on forever, get me riding new bikes I never thought I'd ride, and just providing moral support. I've had some awesome mutually-beneficial part swaps recently, and come to see a few saints here on the forum who are as altruistic and authentic as it gets. It's just enough to keep a guy going with less of a frown on his face, I can't help but say "keep logging in" even if you're not riding. A lot of us aren't riding, but the camaraderie is still here, and it's therapeutic.

Even if you don't pop in, I hope we see you periodically, even if I'm not around anymore. Stay safe, stay healthy and .... keep riding. Your ass will hurt less for later

Old 11-11-20, 08:40 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Good to hear from you again, yes we talked bags and a saddle. Maybe some frame courses?
I wouldn't mind some Gump downtime.
Old 11-11-20, 09:09 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Welcome back, Henry. I still have the tool roll you made for me!
Old 11-11-20, 09:55 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Nice to see another frequent member chime back in! We all have our ebb and flows in life. There is certainly a lot of change happening with all of us.

Regards, 3speedslow
Old 11-12-20, 06:20 AM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Henry- didn't you make nice saddle bags at one point?

If so, I'm still using it on an old Moots mtb.
That was I! I still have a few bags floating around along with a boat load of material. I literally just stopped and put it all away.
Likes For Henry III:
Old 11-12-20, 07:08 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I can see how a bike shop management job could burn one out.

Having seen folk much older than me continue to ride and along with it maintain good health, that could be a decent magnet in of itself.
Old 11-12-20, 09:46 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,394 Times in 694 Posts
Welcome back!

Stepping away from something for a while and then returning can be a very good thing. My other obsession is acoustic guitars, and I find that whenever I take a break from them, when I come back my playing always seems fresher, different, and after any rustiness wears off, simply better. The same seems to be happening with me on the bike - for many years my cycling has been somewhat attenuated, but this year I found some ways to steal some time from the day to work in early morning miles. I've ridden more miles so far this year, just since June, than I have since 2008. It's been really, really lovely, and I find I am enjoying my rides more than I think I can ever remember enjoying them before.
Old 11-12-20, 11:09 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,049 Posts
Glad to see you back. Hiatuses (hiati?) are good. Returning can be good, too. I hope it is for you.
Old 11-12-20, 09:49 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Hey! So good to see you checking in. Last I heard you moved to the Thumb area (I’m in Boyne City) and as you mentioned, working the bike shop. I hope you can rekindle your passion for cycling, bike shops can suck that out of your life (I work a shop out back on a hobby level but got pretty active this summer). Let us us know how you do and if you need something just holler. We’ll leave a light on for you.
Old 11-13-20, 01:49 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
I still use the tool role you sent me as well. I too have been gone a while, and have dipped my toe back on the water recently. For me it was finding a bike that re-kindled my interest...although I still have nearly a score hanging in the garage.

Good to hear all is well with you.
Old 11-13-20, 02:51 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Henry, we never really chatted on the forums here yet, but I can just tell, you’re a really cool dude. 😁✌️😁 Hang in there, man, it could quit rainin’ any minute now. 🙄😁
Old 11-13-20, 03:08 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
All burnout aside, you made a damn nice tool roll. Take satisfaction in knowing your handy work is still rolling with many of us to this day!