Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Under-biked...

Old 12-28-20, 07:10 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I brought two bikes to slick-rock a few years ago. One was a fully rigid drop-bar steel mountain bike (which would have been ideal for the White Rim Road), and a 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, a 3X9 with "old-school" geometry. Of these, the rigid drop-bar steel mtn bike was easier on Slickrock. Marginally.

I was under-biked, and under-skilled.
Old 12-28-20, 11:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Under-biked means you are in over your head

Old 01-03-21, 10:01 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
So - I only tried a modern (ie. suspension) mtb once. I rented one a whistler (not the downhill park). I went up a soft surface climb, over the top ..... and panicked, as I was going crazy fast into (what I now know is called a rock garden). I assumed that I was wrecking and going to be injured, because I was going way to fast to pick my way through it. I tried to absorb as much as I could with my arms and legs and.... there was almost nothing. The suspension took it all.
Suspension MTBs terrify me because challenging terrain is maiming terrain.

I'd rather try to get through the trails by the dog park on my road bike. I guess that's probably underbiking to the extreme. Of course, I've now been dragged into BMX racing by my kids, but that feels a lot safer.

Fully admit that I should not have been riding that trail blind that fast. That was stupid. And that I was in over my head. Except I wasn't, because I was so far within the bike's capabilities, even if it was beyond my capabilities on a rigid (my only frame of reference)
Old 01-04-21, 03:08 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I think with a lot of discussions like this we forget the intent of the rider I love my rigid 29ers because when I'm out on the trail I'm there to be on the trail not to be fast or find the most technical thing I can do my fun factor isn't/wasn't improved with my more capable bikes.
Old 01-04-21, 03:52 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
A line of thinking holds that mtn bikes have become so sophisticated that the challenge is gone,

and riding a rigid frame or cx can bring back some interest. So that could mean that while riding a top of the line mtn bike, one is over-biked.

What other points do you see on the over/under spectrum? Electronic shifting? Fatbikes? $10k+ superbikes?
I ride this bike every couple weeks on my normal route to stay grounded on how good we have it these days.

Old 01-04-21, 09:41 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I think people are confusing what the term is used for. It's not a criticism about how or what someone chooses to ride in general. It has more to do with specific activities that (usually) require a more technologically developed machine.

I ride a late 80's rigid, 2 speed 26" mtb and enjoy it on the trails that I like to ride. I am not underbiked because I tailor the route to the bike. However, if I were to ride competitively, or with a group that wanted to stay together, on the modern technical mtb trails that are being built in my region, and I wanted to use that bike, it could be said I was choosing to be "underbiked". Maybe I want to, maybe I'm super fit, maybe I'm uber skilled, but for such a specific activity - that's where the term would apply.

Similarly, I occasionally ride both a 70's Apollo FG and a 69 Gitane SS. Both delightful bikes that I enjoy for their simplicity and pure riding pleasure (similar to my 2 speed mtb). I am not underbiked in that case because that's my intended way to ride. However, if I were to enter a road race, and wanted to be competitive, using the 69 Gitane SS might be considered choosing to be "underbiked". Of course, someone will say they ride SS or FG competitively, as the exception to the rule, but that's the general use of the term.

Old 01-04-21, 11:03 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
as someone else noted, we have a long way to springtime. (by that, I mean people are going to argue about stupid stuff.)
Old 01-04-21, 11:39 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
A member of a neighboring club is super strong.

He sometimes shows up for group (road) rides on a vintage mtn bike with knobby tires, and still out-rides the group.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-04-21, 11:59 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don't call it "over-biked".
I call it "under-trailed".
Old 01-04-21, 12:36 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It’s going to be a long winter.
Bababooey.
Old 01-04-21, 12:40 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Whatever gets people off the couch and provides transportation without cars is a good thing.
I sure love my airplane.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 01-04-21, 01:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Bababooey.
My ex went to his wedding before she and I got together. His fiancé and she went to school together. Apparently a very nice guy. She later saw him at a book signing and he remembered her.
Old 01-04-21, 01:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Warning - bad (off topic) joke. "Under-biked"? The sporting underwear of my high school days, half a century before Under Armour. Bike jockstraps (with cup for football, hockey and catchers).
Old 01-04-21, 03:27 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
My ex went to his wedding before she and I got together. His fiancé and she went to school together. Apparently a very nice guy. She later saw him at a book signing and he remembered her.
thats funny.
i saw him 20-30 years ago at some csr dealer on rt 22 union area ...was fun yelled bababooey ..old school booey.
Old 01-04-21, 04:00 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
'It never gets easier... you just go faster."

-G Lemond
Old 01-05-21, 12:05 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Where do mountain eBikes fit in this conversation?

Perhaps an eBike is beyond-biked; a kind of cycling heaven where there is life after death by slow, long, steep climbs?

I don't have an eBike. Probably I'll have one one day.

Where I ride they are sprouting up like mushrooms after the rain. Many of my old riding mates (and we are getting old) have switched permanently to the eBike. They are smiling more than they used to.

Last weekend my wife was almost ran over by a conga-line of eBikes! Same day, we heard another's wife in a different place collided with an eBiker and got scraped up.

Over-biked, as in ran over by a bike?

I've even seen eBikers doing shuttle rides!

How about: Uber-Biked?

Me, sawing away on a single speed, every time, I am being simply out-biked!

If I am so far into it; am I totally out of it?

It's all good until someone gets hurt.

Progress, onward everyone, it's all we can do.

At least we biked.
Old 01-05-21, 11:00 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I have no problem with technology advancing a sport. Heck, in the earliest days of baseball the fielders didn't use gloves. I'm even ok with ebike users taking a few more cars off the road for their daily commutes. However, if you ride an ebike and call it exercise, I will have to call BS on your point of view.

As for the cost of cycling, it is what it is. To expand on my baseball example, a pro level custom fit glove will cost you over $500 or you can go to Dick's Sporting Goods and spend $50. They both will catch a baseball, but the details is where the cost comes in. It's just a matter of how deep into your pockets you want to go.
Old 01-05-21, 06:35 PM
notthe1freeman
Bike Bum Extrordinare

Bikes: 1990s specialized hard rock ultra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I ride 90’s steel mtb’s. I’m not over or under, more in the un-biked category.

John
i ride the same...I feel that I am under biked when they land on top of me
Old 01-05-21, 08:09 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by notthe1freeman
i ride the same...I feel that I am under biked when they land on top of me
Lol! Unfortunately been there done that.

John