Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

$$$ or $$$$$?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-16, 03:48 PM
Spandex_Spartan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$$$ or $$$$$?

I'm looking at upgrading my fixed gear, but before I go any further in this post I would like to clarify my relationship with cycling to justify what I say after this. I spent 3 years racing in the high ranks of the junior road peloton, even racing on the national level. I only recently made the move away from racing into just riding for fun, and bought a single speed for my rides around the city (I still ride my road bike often). Being that it is an entry level, it weighs 2x as much as my road bike and is 5x harder to get going fast on. I want a bike that lets me go as fast as I know I can, so I'm looking at a pretty big price jump.
The question is, how big is big enough? I chatted with a State bikes rep, and he suggested I go for their Black Label (one of their most expensive lines). It's always hard to tell if they mean that though... I linked three bikes below, each a step up in price. Which is the most justifiable for someone like me, who has been riding a pretty long time and has a lot of experience going fast? Thanks so much for the help guys!

Unknown Singularity: SINGULARITY ? Unknown Bike Co.

Tribe Mess.: MESS 002 / LA - Tribe Bicycle Co. ®

State Undefeated: Undefeated 2015 Bicycle : Undefeated 2015 Bicycle : Fixies & Fixed Gear Bikes | State Bicycle Co.

Any other suggestions are totally appreciated.
Old 04-20-16, 04:06 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Out of those 3 you have listed I'd go with the state undefeated.

In contrary to the entry levelness of the majority of the bikes they sell, the undefeated is actually an underrated frame with very favorable geometry in my opinion.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 04-20-16, 04:08 PM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you planning on going to the Velodrome at all or just around the city? Will you be doing any long rides on it? Since I'm going to assume you're no stranger at dropping cash on bikes, if you were gonna get a State I'd say go with the Undefeated. I'd also recommend a Dolan Pre Cursa, especially if you're planning on building up. Since you've been into bikes for a while I'm sure you're aware that stock components on bikes aren't all that wonderful. Of what you listed the State certainly has the best stock components.

Last edited by thedapperest; 04-20-16 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-20-16, 04:08 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$1000 seems like a hell of a lot of money for a single speed... even with a belt drive...
Old 04-20-16, 05:15 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Something fishy here
Old 04-20-16, 05:49 PM
applesoggy

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Via Condotti, IRO Angus. Blue Turbo

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motorcycles go fast.
Old 04-20-16, 05:54 PM
Spandex_Spartan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What would that be? Seriously, you're implying some malevolence or something and all I'm doing is asking for advice on a large purchase. There's always someone on these forums that has to go assuming everyone is trying to troll or deceive, when it may very well be that I'm simply a teenager who has no idea how much is fair to spend on a bike.
Old 04-20-16, 05:57 PM
Spandex_Spartan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thedapoerest: I don't currently have plans to race track, but I could easily see that changing if I got the urge to get competitive again. It would be nice to have that option. Would the State still require a large amount of upgrading to be a sufficient track bike?
Old 04-20-16, 06:32 PM
applesoggy

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Via Condotti, IRO Angus. Blue Turbo

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speed has nothing to do with $$. I have three fixed bikes, the cheapest I have about 400 bucks into and with a good Tailwind and a slight decline can go over 30. Gearing is 46/15 with 25mm tires. My Bianchi I have about 1500 bucks into it, and have hit 29 a few times, 48/16 gearing with 23mm tires. . Ride smooth as butter though, and when I ride 50 miles or more I average between 18 and 19 mph. Spin two win is what they say, I think.
Old 04-20-16, 08:23 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Spandex_Spartan
Thedapoerest: I don't currently have plans to race track, but I could easily see that changing if I got the urge to get competitive again. It would be nice to have that option. Would the State still require a large amount of upgrading to be a sufficient track bike?

The question was likely with reference to geometry. If you want to ride on the velodrome you'd be limited to track bikes. If you don't want to ride a velodrome that opens you up to some other great options such as the offerings from Wabi. Many people on here regard them as the best option for a road going ss/fg.

Are you anchored to the idea of an aluminum frame?

I BELIEVE the Black Label has track legal geometry.
Old 04-20-16, 08:28 PM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You could race easily up to cat3 on a stock kilott, with that said, I'd go with the state bike out of your 3 options with the Dolan pre cursa being my real choice.
Old 04-20-16, 08:29 PM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't believe so. It's marketed as a track bike so I'm pretty sure it's track ready. Can't say for certain, though
Old 04-20-16, 08:37 PM
pwebb

Bikes: Mash Work, Gunnar Crosshairs, Velo Orange Camargue

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you my friend sound like a Wabi candidate. get the lightning and you can get good re-sale value on it when you go back to gears in a few years.
Old 04-20-16, 08:47 PM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
curious, what kind of single speed bike do you currently ride? If the frame is holding up and it's the right size it might not be a bad idea to just look at upgrading wheels and a smoother drive train. For someone with "a lot of experience going fast" you should also already know that gear ratio and the engine are the most important thing. dropping big bucks on a new bike won't magically make you go faster, just throwing that out there
Old 04-21-16, 10:04 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by hardboiled718
For someone with "a lot of experience going fast"
Hello,

I've been playing seriously competitive baseball for many years. I've even played at the national level. I am interested in a new bat that will help me hit better. My problem is, I don't know much about bats. I don't know what brands are good. I don't know how much they cost. I'm not sure how much lighter of a bat I need to improve my hitting. Instead of asking all the coaches, highly experienced players, and professionals that I am surrounded by, I thought I would ask a bunch of random strangers on the internet.

So, what brand and weight bat should I buy, and how much should it cost?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but anyone who has participated in national level competitive sports has already developed STRONG preferences for the tools of their trade. not only do they know exactly what they want, they are particular about it.

TROLL

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 04-21-16 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-21-16, 12:04 PM
Spandex_Spartan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Hello,

I've been playing seriously competitive baseball for many years. I've even played at the national level. I am interested in a new bat that will help me hit better. My problem is, I don't know much about bats. I don't know what brands are good. I don't know how much they cost. I'm not sure how much lighter of a bat I need to improve my hitting. Instead of asking all the coaches, highly experienced players, and professionals that I am surrounded by, I thought I would ask a bunch of random strangers on the internet.

Sorry, buy anyone who has participated in national level competitive sports has already developed STRONG preferences for the tools of their trade. not only do they know exactly what they want, they are particular about it.

TROLL

I said I raced road, not track or Redhook crits. I know very little about the world of single speed, which is much different than road. My road bike I ride now (2015 Fuji Altamira 2.5) cost me $2000, and is still considered entry level when it comes to road racing. I can't really apply the knowledge that went into selecting that bike to an aluminum single speed that costs half that much. The better analogy is like saying, I've competed in football at the national level but now I want to try rugby, got any tips? The sports are entirely different. The only reason I brought up that I used to race is to help justify that my engine could actually match the machine if I got a more expensive bike.
Lastly, here's a picture of me crossing the finish line at the Waterloo, Wisconsin 2014 road national championships. Can we close this as a matter of debate now? I didn't expect this forum to be such a haven for harassment, I was just hoping someone would give me an excuse to buy a cool looking bike that I can't afford.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg (68.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-21-16, 12:10 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I didn't expect this forum to be such a haven for harassment
Five minutes spent reading would have altered your expectations, noob.
Old 04-21-16, 12:13 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

I said I raced road, not track or Redhook crits. I know very little about the world of single speed, which is much different than road. My road bike I ride now (2015 Fuji Altamira 2.5) cost me $2000, and is still considered entry level when it comes to road racing. I can't really apply the knowledge that went into selecting that bike to an aluminum single speed that costs half that much. The better analogy is like saying, I've competed in football at the national level but now I want to try rugby, got any tips? The sports are entirely different. The only reason I brought up that I used to race is to help justify that my engine could actually match the machine if I got a more expensive bike.
Lastly, here's a picture of me crossing the finish line at the Waterloo, Wisconsin 2014 road national championships. Can we close this as a matter of debate now? I didn't expect this forum to be such a haven for harassment, I was just hoping someone would give me an excuse to buy a cool looking bike that I can't afford.

Old 04-21-16, 02:06 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I'm simply a teenager who has no idea how much is fair to spend on a bike.
I spent 3 years racing in the high ranks of the junior road peloton, even racing on the national level.
I said I raced road, not track or Redhook crits .
So you spent years road racing, but didn't do Criterium racing which is about all that is available to most in USAC competition, raced at National level but don't know what bicycles cost?

Did you ask your dad what he paid for your road bike? If not do so now.
A fixed gear is less complicated than a road racing bike, one of similar quality can cost 20-50% less.
Poorly designed sloppily manufactured junk can cost even less.

Look at your road racing bike, it will have the manufacturers name boldly displayed, many of us choose to ride fixed gear bikes from the same mfg as our road racing machines, or not.

Many of the elite junior riders that I knew were experienced track as well as road racers, ask one of your cohort for a recommendation of a suitable machine. It's good to maintain contact with teammates, coaches and competitors and to know how many $,$$$ were spent by your dad on your racing efforts.

-Bandera
Old 04-21-16, 02:47 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
So you spent years road racing, but didn't do Criterium racing which is about all that is available to most in USAC competition, raced at National level but don't know what bicycles cost?
I said I raced road, not track or Redhook crits.
Redhook crits are fixie races and are not USAC.
Old 04-21-16, 02:55 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by gl98115
Redhook crits are fixie races and are not USAC.
Thank you!
Did not know that, must be "exciting".

-Bandera
Old 04-21-16, 05:50 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Hello,

Sorry, but anyone who has participated in national level competitive sports has already developed STRONG preferences for the tools of their trade. not only do they know exactly what they want, they are particular about it.

TROLL
Have you thought about aluminum? They sound kind of cool when you get a good hit!

And, I had no idea you were playing pro ball. Maybe one of your friends could help you choose a new bat?
Old 04-21-16, 06:00 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Have you thought about aluminum? They sound kind of cool when you get a good hit!

And, I had no idea you were playing pro ball. Maybe one of your friends could help you choose a new bat?

Truth be told, my favorite "ball" game is ping pong. But there are a lot of rude players, so it makes me sad sometimes.
Old 04-21-16, 06:03 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Truth be told, my favorite "ball" game is ping pong. But there are a lot of rude players, so it makes me sad sometimes.
Crybaby!!!

Or, is that politically incorrect???

Younger than you look person who cries easily....
Old 04-22-16, 07:06 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Out of those 3 you have listed I'd go with the state undefeated.

In contrary to the entry levelness of the majority of the bikes they sell, the undefeated is actually an underrated frame with very favorable geometry in my opinion.
That seatpost clamp area is...interesting. OP, if that's your thing, go for it. I suppose it's aero.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.