Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Good reason NOT to run a red light at night whilst riding a bicycle

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 11:24 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

Dark, dark colour bicycle, paossible no lights. Rider runs a red light. Result = not good for that bicyclist.

Teen in Serious Condition After His Bicycle Collides With Deputies? Patrol Car in Palmdale: LASD | KTLA

"The incident occurred around 11:20 p.m. Wednesday at the intersection of 47th Street East and Avenue S when the teen crossed the street against a red light, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

The deputies were traveling north on 47th Street with a green light and unable to stop in time when the bicyclist, who was heading east on Avenue S, rode in front of the patrol vehicle, the release states.

The teen was transported to a local hospital and is listed in serious condition, authorities said."

It's a good idea to stop for red lights rather than just blasting through them at speed.

Cheers
Old 01-10-17, 11:33 AM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow sad story . . . I wonder how long until someone jumps on the fact that he was black and insists that the cops were TRYING to kill him.
Old 01-10-17, 11:43 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
We don't need conspiracy theories, but OTOH we only have the deputies' word for the fact that they had the light. I don't want to start a flame war, but police running reds without lights and sirens is fairly common, and I suspect that when the cyclist is heard from there may be some disagreement on the light.

Of course, unless there's a dash cam showing the event, people will believe what they want to believe.

For my part, I reserve any judgement until there's more info, but hope for the best possible recovery for the rider.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-10-17, 11:51 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

On a side note.

The phrase "running a red" or stop sign carries the image of going straight through without pausing to check traffic. That's often true, but more common is slowing or stopping, then proceeding across before the light turns green.

Many of us might call this an "Idaho stop", referencing the state where it's legal, but I wish we had a better alternative to running a red to describe how many cyclists cautiously and safely proceed through these intersections.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-10-17, 12:02 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Err ... isn't it always a bad idea to run a red light?
Old 01-10-17, 01:08 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Err ... isn't it always a bad idea to run a red light?
Oh no, here we go again...
Old 01-10-17, 01:41 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by FBinNY
On a side note.

The phrase "running a red" or stop sign carries the image of going straight through without pausing to check traffic. Snipped
Which is why I use the term "running a red light" when I see bicyclists "run" a red light without slowing let alone stopping.

Cheers
Old 01-10-17, 01:47 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Which is why I use the term "running a red light" when I see bicyclists "run" a red light without slowing let alone stopping.

Cheers
Yes, so my question is what to call it when cyclists safely cross against the light?

Old 01-10-17, 01:54 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by ypsetihw
wow sad story . . . I wonder how long until someone jumps on the fact that he was black and insists that the cops were TRYING to kill him.
Not long at all apparently...
Old 01-10-17, 02:00 PM
Leisesturm

The teen was transported to a local hospital and is listed in serious condition, authorities said."

It's a good idea to stop for red lights rather than just blasting through them at speed.
Talk about low hanging fruit. Was this really the best you could do given all the time you took to come up with this? He was a kid! Teen's do all kinds of stupid things. Was he even able to post here according to TOS? You insult my intelligence and the intelligence of anyone legally entitled to participate in this forum if this is the kind of PSA you supply to spread your particular brand of sage wisdom. Be ashamed.
Old 01-10-17, 02:33 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Not long at all apparently...
If you were referring to my post, I just want to be clear that I didn't mean to imply any intent. I was simply referencing that we only have the driver's word about who had the light. This is often a matter of contention later on.

Old 01-10-17, 02:45 PM
Leisesturm

If you were referring to my post, I just want to be clear that I didn't mean to imply any intent. I was simply referencing that we only have the driver's word about who had the light. This is often a matter of contention later on.
I was not referring to your post... Francis... <chortle>
Old 01-10-17, 05:42 PM
Miele Man

Yes, so my question is what to call it when cyclists safely cross against the light?
If they've done that whilst "running the red light" I call it "LUCK". LOL VBEG

Cheers
Old 01-10-17, 05:46 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Talk about low hanging fruit. Was this really the best you could do given all the time you took to come up with this? He was a kid! Teen's do all kinds of stupid things. Was he even able to post here according to TOS? You insult my intelligence and the intelligence of anyone legally entitled to participate in this forum if this is the kind of PSA you supply to spread your particular brand of sage wisdom. Be ashamed.
Gads man! WHAT you smoking that has you so riled?

I've seen many cases where bicyclists have blown through a red light and were either hit by a motor vehicle or very nearly hit be one. that's why it's NOT a good idea to "BLOW through or RUN" a red light. Idaho stops are an entirely different thing. I'm referring to those bicyclists who do NOT SLOW DOWN OR LOOK BEFORE riding across an intersection where the light facing them is RED.

Cheers
Old 01-10-17, 05:54 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Whether there's a light or not, it's a poor plan to go through any intersection at speed if you can't clearly ascertain there's no traffic.
Old 01-10-17, 05:59 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I call it "jumping the red", because you're slowed or stopped and then "jump" before it turns green. I don't think it will catch on though.
Old 01-10-17, 09:28 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Remember, these are Los Angeles County Sheriff’s claiming they had the green light.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is one of the worst in the country.

How often do we see race left out of public statements. So why did Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department include it in an initial report in this case?
Old 01-10-17, 09:47 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I call it "jumping the red", because you're slowed or stopped and then "jump" before it turns green. I don't think it will catch on though.
Locally "jumping" a light has a specific meaning, meaning starting before the light changes, as in jumping the gun. So it's different that someone crossing mid cycle (if/when there's no cross traffic).

Around here, and especially where I worked the lights had little meaning. A green offered little protection because the number of red light runners (cars) was too high, so I treated ALL intersections as if they were unregulated and went when it was safe regardless of the light.

One little irony would be when I'd roll up to a red where a police car was stopped. I'd stop alongside, and often the officer would roll down the window and ask me why I was waiting.

Old 01-12-17, 09:06 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would have guessed that all LA based LEO cars would have always on dash cams.

but I would be really surprised if there wasn't any recording from a business?

There is ALWAYS disagreements over "who ran the light"
It is rare for anyone to say "the accident was my fault-I ran the light-injured that person"

No video-
perhaps there is an event recorder -cop car braking-
and an accurate RED LIGHT event recorder after accident-should line up with GREEN LIGHT RECORDER
There MUST be event recorders for both?
Old 01-12-17, 10:05 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Meanwhile our local first road fatality of 2017 is a cyclist said to have "blown the stop sign". Though since he's dead I guess we are taking the word of the driver on that.

scott s.
Old 01-12-17, 10:37 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by scott967
Meanwhile our local first road fatality of 2017 is a cyclist said to have "blown the stop sign". Though since he's dead I guess we are taking the word of the driver on that.

scott s.
I don't want to disrespect the dead, but we don't need or care about the driver's word here.

A stop sign requires more than a stop. It also requires yielding before proceeding. So, if the cyclist had a stop sign, and got hit in the intersection, then it doesn't matter whether he stopped or not, because the collision implies that he failed to yield.

That's unless you're implying that the driver moved the stop sign.

Old 01-13-17, 12:45 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I don't want to disrespect the dead, but we don't need or care about the driver's word here.

A stop sign requires more than a stop. It also requires yielding before proceeding. So, if the cyclist had a stop sign, and got hit in the intersection, then it doesn't matter whether he stopped or not, because the collision implies that he failed to yield.

That's unless you're implying that the driver moved the stop sign.
Or the cyclist stopped for his stop sign, had right of way and properly proceeded across the intersection while the motorist ran his stop sign and/or ignored cyclist right of way.
Old 01-13-17, 12:50 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by CB HI
Or the cyclist stopped for his stop sign, had right of way and properly proceeded across the intersection while the motorist ran his stop sign and/or ignored cyclist right of way.
This is just another strawman which assumes a fact not in evidence, namely a 4-way stop. In the typical case where the stop is for the entering side road, stopping doesn't complete the obligation and one has to yield before proceeding.

But feel free to argue.

Old 01-13-17, 10:33 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
This is just another strawman which assumes a fact not in evidence, namely a 4-way stop. In the typical case where the stop is for the entering side road, stopping doesn't complete the obligation and one has to yield before proceeding.

But feel free to argue.
Stanley Simon, 59.

Fact is the intersection is a T intersection, one stop sign on a dead end road. Wainae Valley Rd is 25 mph.

But you should give it up about "facts." This thread is now yet another post fact litter box.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-13-17 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-15-17, 06:47 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Dark, dark colour bicycle, paossible no lights. Rider runs a red light. Result = not good for that bicyclist.

Teen in Serious Condition After His Bicycle Collides With Deputies? Patrol Car in Palmdale: LASD | KTLA

"The incident occurred around 11:20 p.m. Wednesday at the intersection of 47th Street East and Avenue S when the teen crossed the street against a red light, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

The deputies were traveling north on 47th Street with a green light and unable to stop in time when the bicyclist, who was heading east on Avenue S, rode in front of the patrol vehicle, the release states.

Cheers
That is what I said recently. When there was the thread about not stopping at stop signs, and red lights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.