Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

50-305 vs. 32-349

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

50-305 vs. 32-349

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-17, 01:28 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
50-305 vs. 32-349

Dabbling in sub-406 for the first time so I am polling for thoughts on the desireabilty of 305 vs. 349 wheels.

A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation shows that a 349 rim with a 32mm tire is only about 8mm taller than a 50mm tire on a 305 rim. Four mm of rubber will be on top and four mm of rubber on the tarmac. The angle of attack is essentially equal. Yet the 50-305 wheel will have more 'cush' because it has a fatter profile, wider carcass, and will be pumped to a lower inflation pressure. The 305 wheel will be marginally more durable because the rim is smaller and it is cusshioned from impact by a cushier tire. The 305 wheel will accelerate just a fast as the 349 wheel because, although it is carrying a heavier tire, it is marginally lighter due to the smaller size, and its radius is smaller.

So, having said all that, leaving gearing aside, wishing to maximize comfort and durability, why would one opt for the 349 wheels over 305? Am i missing something?
Old 02-22-17, 01:53 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Larger diameter wheels will flex more....maybe a comfort argument in a different context??? I'd go with 305.

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 02-22-17, 02:03 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Perhaps, but if we assume that Total Flex is the sum of Rim Flex plus Tire Flex, and that Tire Flex dwarfs Rim Flex, can we not say that Total Flex is essentially equal to Tire Flex, thereby giving advantage once again to 305?

Originally Posted by downtube
Larger diameter wheels will flex more....maybe a comfort argument in a different context??? I'd go with 305.

Thanks
Yan

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 02-22-17 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-22-17, 02:11 AM
downtube

You asked for an argument, so I gave one. As I mentioned I prefer 305's.

Thanks
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 02-22-17, 02:13 AM
Abu Mahendra

Ok, got it. Thanks.

You asked for an argument, so I gave one. As I mentioned I prefer 305's.

Thanks
Yan
Old 02-22-17, 02:50 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
How about tyre choice as a motivator.
Old 02-22-17, 03:00 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Wheel flex is hooey! - Sheldon Brown
Old 02-22-17, 03:10 AM
Abu Mahendra

Tire choice seems to be about the same, with a bias toward wider tires for 305. It's not like 406/451 where 406 is the definite winner in this regard.

Originally Posted by jur
How about tyre choice as a motivator.
Old 02-22-17, 05:37 AM
leoho5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would also go for 305 for more flexibility in the case of the need for mudguards or wider tires. What are you planning to do about the low gear inches with the smaller wheels? DualDrive? Capreo? or just a leisurely city bike?
Old 02-22-17, 07:29 AM
Abu Mahendra

I'd hear it like this, with a 56T ring, 11-36T sprocket and Zee RD.

Originally Posted by leoho5
Would also go for 305 for more flexibility in the case of the need for mudguards or wider tires. What are you planning to do about the low gear inches with the smaller wheels? DualDrive? Capreo? or just a leisurely city bike?
Old 02-22-17, 08:25 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
To me, if I could get supple tires in 305, I would roll that way, with low pressure. As it is, the only 16" wheels I have are 349, and I could not fit 305's.
Old 02-22-17, 09:30 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
I'd hear it like this, with a 56T ring, 11-36T sprocket and Zee RD.
36T in the rear of a 305mm wheel???

Thanks,
Yan
Old 02-22-17, 09:36 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just finished a project bike ... its 14 inches and singlespeed. I wanted it nicely adjustable AND COMFY
hence I went with 50' Big Apples ...

Old 02-22-17, 10:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Lower PSI ; fatter tire, Higher Pressure; thinner tire. works the same regardless of diameter..

The 406 vs 451 .. argument.

Performance or comfort? , Rough road cushioning, bigger contact patch ?

Probably missing the Brompton rear suspension cushion, making the performance tire - wheel more comfortable

people stiffen that block, with various things, to put down more power, at the expense of that cushioning.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-24-18 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 12:06 PM
edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dabbling in sub-406 for the first time so I am polling for thoughts on the desireabilty of 305 vs. 349 wheels.

A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation shows that a 349 rim with a 32mm tire is only about 8mm taller than a 50mm tire on a 305 rim. Four mm of rubber will be on top and four mm of rubber on the tarmac. The angle of attack is essentially equal. Yet the 50-305 wheel will have more 'cush' because it has a fatter profile, wider carcass, and will be pumped to a lower inflation pressure. The 305 wheel will be marginally more durable because the rim is smaller and it is cusshioned from impact by a cushier tire. The 305 wheel will accelerate just a fast as the 349 wheel because, although it is carrying a heavier tire, it is marginally lighter due to the smaller size, and its radius is smaller.

So, having said all that, leaving gearing aside, wishing to maximize comfort and durability, why would one opt for the 349 wheels over 305? Am i missing something?
I've gone through this 305 vs 349 size issue recently with our snow in Vancouver. Some things I've realized in the last few months. Not directly relevant to your question, but may be a factor in your decision.

- it appears to be harder to source 305 wheels and rims than 349. Maybe this is just a local phenomenon....none of the folding bike shops in Vancouver having 305 wheels or rims in stock. I have to order them online. One store said that the last time they ordered one from Dahon, it took 2 months to get in.
- there aren't Kojak's in 305 size but there are in 349
- no studded tires in 305 size but there are in 349. Okay, not relevant for you over in paradise
- Big Apples come in 305, but not 349

P.S. Nothing to do with your question, but have to say, I was pleasantly surprised to see in Thor's post that Big Apples are available for 14" tires. Sweet.
Old 02-22-17, 12:13 PM
edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
I just finished a project bike ... its 14 inches and singlespeed. I wanted it nicely adjustable AND COMFY
hence I went with 50' Big Apples ...
That is a sweet bike. I had no idea there were 14" big apples. Great work with these single speeds and the black 5 speeds.
Old 02-22-17, 04:54 PM
Abu Mahendra

Aye, 11-36T, with a stubby, short-cage Downhill Shimano Zee RD.

36T in the rear of a 305mm wheel???

Thanks,
Yan
Old 02-23-17, 09:18 AM
downtube

Aye, 11-36T, with a stubby, short-cage Downhill Shimano Zee RD.
Thanks for sharing!!!

Yan
Old 02-25-17, 03:33 AM
Abu Mahendra

Shimano Zee RD with an 11-36T cogset is, imo, the gold standard for 1x derailleur drivetrains on small (406 and below) wheel bikes. Light, taut, smooth shifting, stubby and sturdy, providing a range of up to 327%, greater than Alfine 8. RD plus CS-M771 11-36T cogset weigh 600 grams, and cost under $100 together. Add an XT shifter, and you've got yourself a very slick transmission.

Here' an excerpt from a review:
It is immediately noticeable how good the Zee mech feels with the XT shifter. Gone is the ambiguous lightness of Shimano from years gone by, replaced by an incredibly solid, positive feeling. Having ridden a few different options on different bikes since setting this up on our long-term test, we find ourselves coming back to this setup and appreciating how good this combination is. In a blind test you'd be hard pushed to pick this out as a cheaper option. Here at Pinkbike we are big fans of clutch mechs and this Zee is no different - it isn't when you use a clutch derailleur that is the big deal, it's if you go back and try to ride a bike without one that you realize just how good they are and the Zee is everything we hoped it would be in that regard - quiet running and precise shifting.

Where the Zee mech really stands out is in terms of survivability. It was with the 2012 XT derailleur that we first noticed that the current Shimano mechs keep working well past the point when you'd expect them to fail. That XT mech was scored, grated and slightly twisted, but it kept going. This Zee mech goes another step beyond that. Just after fitting it, we were riding with it at Lenzerheide, in Switzerland. Coming through the boulder fields, there were dozens of rocks protruding at about derailleur height. Eventually, a few of them hit home and a couple of them were big hits. We were sure we would look back to see a small pile of twisted metal hanging from the dropout, yet it kept working. Looking at the mech at the end of the week there were a number of big gouges on the body and it wasn't what you'd call straight, but it still changed gear every time you pressed the lever. OK, the indexing wasn't perfect and if you are the kind of person who likes your bike to be just so it would probably have upset you greatly. For us, it's reassuring that you can be more confident of making it home, no matter what happens. If payday is still a few weeks away when you hit your derailleur, you can keep riding, even if it isn't perfect (or if you're lazy like me you can just keep using it as it is for months). And that is impressive.

BikeRadar verdict
"Tough, no nonsense and great value single-ring gearset"

REVIEW: SHIMANO ZEE REAR MECH
So there you go, this mech has certainly got a place on any DH bike, but I’d also say, don’t over look this mech if you need one for a trail bike as I think it is a little gem with in the Shimano line up.

SHIMANO ZEE DERAILLEUR AND SHIFTER REVIEW
If you want a tough reasonably price drivetrain Shimano Zee is worth a look. It’s hard to beat the functionality, ruggedness vs. cost here.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Yan

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 02-25-17 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-25-17, 09:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

so tire topic is done, resolved? guess this topic has drifted off.

Yea no chainring difference , short cage RD work, most any . I used a <c> Chorus in 90.
Old 06-22-18, 05:59 PM
Abu Mahendra

Still debating...

Since I started this thread, i've gotten a 305-wheel FSIR. Issue resolved? Well, not quite yet. I still haven't resolved whether to build the FnHon Gust with 305 or 349...
Old 06-23-18, 05:08 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You can get Winter studded 349 tires but not 305 tires.
Old 06-23-18, 06:15 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by cplager
You can get Winter studded 349 tires but not 305 tires.
Winter? What's that? We have sunny weather 350 days out of the year here, sunlight 12 hours a day and the temps never dip below 15 degrees here. Studded tires?

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 06-23-18 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-23-18, 07:06 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Winter? What's that? We have sunny weather 350 days out of the year here, sunlight 12 hours a day and the temps never dip below 15 degrees here. Studded tires?
Then it isn't like a concern for you.

Of course, over here, 15 (F) is quite cold...
Old 06-23-18, 08:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

want more volume, softer, cushion, vs higher PSI easier rolling, harder?

knee jerk disdain for Bromptons?, they're running 349 -32 ~ 37..

so only one is acceptable.. apparently..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-23-18 at 08:30 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.