Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Had my LBS rebuild my 'lightweight' wheels: disappointed rant.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 08:08 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Hi all,

So I had some very nice White Industries H2 and H3 hubs. (97 g and 252 g respectively).
I wanted to change out my worn rims, selected and purchased some nice lightweight DT swiss RR440 rims (450 g each).
I had some very nice lightweight Sapim CX Ray spokes with aloy nipples that I wanted to reuse.

Brought the wheels into the bike shop to have them rebuilt. Couple days later, they inform me over the phone that my spokes are in too bad of a shape to be reused. They assure me they would use DT Swiss Double butted spokes at $1 each. Going with DT Swiss bladed spokes would be $2.5 each or something. I agree to go with the double butted spokes.

So now, $120 in labor and $52 in spokes later... I go and weigh my wheels, and they come in at a whopping 1655g, instead of the 1565 g I was expecting with double butted spokes, and instead of the 1490g they used to be with my Sapim CX-ray spokes.

I take a closer look, and realize they did not use double butted spokes at all, but 2mm straight gauge spokes, which are about 1g heavier each! They must have also used brass nipples instead of alloy nipples, to get to the 1655g weight.

So essentially, it cost me $172 to downgrade my wheels from decently lightweight to what is considered slightly heavy. I am so angry they said they would use double butted spokes, and used straight spokes instead. On top of that, they cheaped out on the brass nipples to add useless weight. Why on earth would they take expensive lightweight hub and rims and put the heaviest spokes and nipples they could find on them?

I am trying not to be obsessive about the weight of my bike, but paying money and ending up with a serious downgrade is just infuriating. On top of that, they straight up lied to me about what they were going to use and made $120 in labor for the privilege.

- Am I overreacting?
- Should I stop being a crybaby because 1655g is still OK weight for wheels?
- Should I buy some lightweight Sapim spokes to 'upgrade' my wheels back from 1655g to a respectable 1490g at about $75 and just eat the cost?
- Should I not worry about it and just ride?
- The old saying goes: If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself?
- Will Tom Boonen with his 5th Paris-Roubaix this Sunday?

Last edited by maartendc; 04-06-17 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-06-17, 08:18 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I'd go in and complain about the spokes not being what they'd told you they were going to use and see if a manager can make it right. Beyond that, I don't know. Maybe look into getting the ability to build for yourself in the future? But yeah, 90 grams is just a couple of ounces in your water bottle, so, if you have to, it sucks, but moving on won't ruin your ability to ride.
Old 04-06-17, 08:23 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
1) typically a bad idea to reuse spokes and aluminum nipples. Going to the cost of a rebuild, start with new spokes.

2) I would be po'd if they in fact used straight gauge spokes when they told you they were going to use double butted. I'd ask them to rebuild the wheel with the spokes specified. However, IIRC DT Swiss DB spokes taper, as opposed to having an obvious diameter change, so they may in fact be double butted

3) from your post, it doesn't sound like alloy or brass nipples were discussed, and I think most any wheelbuilder would default to brass.

4) you're better off with brass nipples IMHO. 1) Alloy nipples corrode and fail. This is particularly a concern if you live in a high humidity environment, near salt water, or use the bike on a trainer; 2) Alloy nipples tend to seize making truing difficult, 3) its easy to round off alloy nipples. IMHO, the marginal weight savings of alloy nipples is not worth it. , we're talking a weight delta of 16 grams for a 24 spoke wheel.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 04-06-17 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-06-17, 08:24 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I can't tell you how to fix this, but I can tell you what you did wrong. That may help in future.

#1 - Never have wheels built or rebuilt by an LBS unless they are known as professional wheel builders. Wheel building is a complicated skill, and most bike shop techs just don't have the training, interest, commitment, etc. to do it right. Either find a professional wheel builder or learn to do it yourself.

#2 - Never reuse spokes. First, what made you think the old spokes would fit? Second, spokes are the main breakage point for wheels. The degradation that has occurred in their strength over time can't be seen until the spoke fails. The cost of spokes is small compared to the aggravation of dealing with a broken one.

I said I couldn't tell you what to do to fix the problem, but I can't resist trying. IIWY, I would buy the correct sizes of CX-Ray spokes with alloy nipples on danscomp.com. That is the cheapest source, about $2.00 each for the spokes. I think they include the nipples. Then I would take the spokes and the wheels back to the LBS and ask for them to be rebuilt with the CX-Rays. No additional labor charge and a refund of the price of the wrong spokes. You may not get all you ask for, but that is the starting point. No anger, no aggression, just firm commitment to what you deserve.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 04-06-17 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-06-17, 08:25 AM
JBerman

Bikes: Guru Evolo-R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the person at the LBS you went to have a good rep as a wheel builder? I personally think there is a big difference between just having anyone at the LBS build wheels and choosing a professional/competent wheel builder.
Old 04-06-17, 08:26 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by himespau
I'd go in and complain about the spokes not being what they'd told you they were going to use and see if a manager can make it right. Beyond that, I don't know. Maybe look into getting the ability to build for yourself in the future? But yeah, 90 grams is just a couple of ounces in your water bottle, so, if you have to, it sucks, but moving on won't ruin your ability to ride.
Where you are mistaken is that 90 g is just a couple of ounces in the water bottle (actually three) PLUS the water in the bottle. In other words it is over and above whatever else is on the bike...every time.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-06-17, 08:26 AM
therhodeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would treat the spokes just like I treat a wrong order at a restaurant. Is eating what they brought me or riding 1600g wheels unacceptable? No but that's not what was ordered.
Old 04-06-17, 08:31 AM
ReneV

Bikes: FM098-V2, '16 Synapse

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not acceptable by the LBS, if the rest of the situation is as clear-cut as you outline. No ifs or buts.

That said, a 90g difference suggests something other than spokes and nipples is going on. Did you weigh the rims first? Is the new weight with rim tape?
Old 04-06-17, 08:32 AM
JBerman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the best thing to do when discussing with the LBS is to obviously portray your frustration with the situation, but remain calm and professional. They will be more apt to assist if you aren't super rude to them, etc. And don't be a pushover either, however.
Old 04-06-17, 08:38 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by ReneV
That said, a 90g difference suggests something other than spokes and nipples is going on. Did you weigh the rims first? Is the new weight with rim tape?

Weight difference between DT straight gauge with brass nipple, and DT double butted with alloy nipple is 1.66 grams.

OP doesn't state a spoke count for the wheels. Assuming 24/24 that's an 80 gram difference. (86 gram with 24/28, 93 grams with 28/28)

So the spokes and nipples, with manufacturing tolerances would likely explain the difference.
Old 04-06-17, 08:43 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Weight difference between DT straight gauge with brass nipple, and DT double butted with alloy nipple is 1.66 grams.

OP doesn't state a spoke count for the wheels. Assuming 24/24 that's an 80 gram difference. (86 gram with 24/28, 93 grams with 28/28)

So the spokes and nipples, with manufacturing tolerances would likely explain the difference.
But he was figuring on XRays. That is worth more than that weight again.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-06-17, 08:47 AM
ReneV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP doesn't state a spoke count for the wheels.
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
But he was figuring on XRays.
Let's see what the OP says ...
Old 04-06-17, 08:48 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you do decide to ride the set as is, could you post your experiences in the "does weight really matter" thread?

On a serious note, sounds kind of like a bait and switch if everything was as clear cut as you state.
Old 04-06-17, 08:51 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Honest mistake or lying, what the LBS did isn't right. I've little patience for this stuff. If they lied then it is theft, plain and simple.

Either way, I'd take the day off from work and stand in the shop with the wheels until they make it right. I'd be polite but would leave them with little doubt that I"m pissed.

-Tim-
Old 04-06-17, 08:52 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
But he was figuring on XRays. That is worth more than that weight again.
The 90 grams was the difference the OP was expecting from the DB spokes.

"I go and weigh my wheels, and they come in at a whopping 1655g, instead of the 1565 g I was expecting with double butted spokes, and instead of the 1490g they used to be with my Sapim CX-ray spokes."
Old 04-06-17, 09:07 AM
JBerman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Either way, I'd take the day off from work and stand in the shop with the wheels until they make it right. I'd be polite but would leave them with little doubt that I"m pissed.
-Tim-
I'm a man of principle, but a day off to me is worth quite a bit. Time=Money.
Old 04-06-17, 09:10 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys!

That's what I'm thinking exactly. Spoke count is 24 front, 28 rear.

Here's how the math works out:
- 97 g front hub 252g rear hub
- 450g x 2 for both rims
- 52 brass nipples x 1g
- 52 straight gauge spokes x 6.9 g

TOTAL: 1659g, which is almost exactly the 1657g I measured. Other than the spokes, I can't think of anything else that would explain the extra weight, save for the hubs weight being off by 25%+

Not acceptable by the LBS, if the rest of the situation is as clear-cut as you outline. No ifs or buts.

The weight is with rim tape.

I weighed both rims when I got them, and they were both 450g each, spot on. I never weighed the hubs, but I don't think they'd be off by that much.

Originally Posted by JBerman
Did the person at the LBS you went to have a good rep as a wheel builder? I personally think there is a big difference between just having anyone at the LBS build wheels and choosing a professional/competent wheel builder.
Yeah they started out as wheelbuilders actually, but no idea if they had one of their less experienced guys place the order or build them something.

2) I would be po'd if they in fact used straight gauge spokes when they told you they were going to use double butted. I'd ask them to rebuild the wheel with the spokes specified. However, IIRC DT Swiss DB spokes taper, as opposed to having an obvious diameter change, so they may in fact be double butted

4) you're better off with brass nipples IMHO. 1) Alloy nipples corrode and fail. This is particularly a concern if you live in a high humidity environment, near salt water, or use the bike on a trainer; 2) Alloy nipples tend to seize making truing difficult, 3) its easy to round off alloy nipples. IMHO, the marginal weight savings of alloy nipples is not worth it. , we're talking a weight delta of 16 grams for a 24 spoke wheel.
That's a good point on the spokes, I will have to double check. At first glance they definitely look straight, but it might be a subtle difference. However, I can't think of anything else that would explain the weight difference, other than straight gauge spokes AND brass nipples. The math otherwise just doesn't add up.

Thats interesting about the brass nipples. That being said, given the choice I would have chosen aluminum anyway, going for the easy weight savings. You have to spend a lot more money saving similar weight off of a saddle or something.
Old 04-06-17, 09:15 AM
ReneV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Thanks for the replies guys!
Here's how the math works out:
- 97 g front hub 252g rear hub
- 450g x 2 for both rims
- 52 brass nipples x 1g
- 52 straight gauge spokes x 6.9 g
TOTAL: 1659g,

The weight is with rim tape.
That doesn't compute.

Last edited by ReneV; 04-06-17 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-06-17, 09:50 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

That doesn't compute.
well technically its 1659.8, so he should have rounded to 1660.
Old 04-06-17, 10:03 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Just go talk to them. They can solve your issue, we can't.
Old 04-06-17, 10:06 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
A few things. Assuming the OP did his homework and either selected the same rim for the rebuild or a rim with the same or similar enough ERD, I see no reason why not to reuse a high quality spoke like a CX-Ray. It is one thing if the wheels were getting rebuilt because of a few spoke failures. But that is not the case here.

On the topic of aluminum nipples, the only time I've had an aluminum nipple fail is once on a cheap stock wheel at the hands of a hack in an LBS trying to true the wheel and once at my own hands when I was too inexperienced to know to lube spoke threads when building a wheel. My commuter wheels are built with aluminum nipples and they've withstood well over 20,000 miles without a nipple failure riding on some nasty roads in nasty weather. If you fear lightweight stuff and can't trust yourself to fully engage the spoke key or remember to lube the threads on your spokes before building, brass is probably the better choice. Otherwise, it is easy weight saved to go aluminum.

I'm not sure why the OP hasn't gone directly back to the LBS yet and simply had them fix their mistake. It's completely unacceptable, IMO, to ask for double butted spokes and get straight gauge. Even if they only charged you for straight gauge, it isn't what you asked for. If they charged you for double butted, it's even worse. Me, I'd demand my old CX-Rays back and go find someone else to rebuild my wheels like the originals.
Old 04-06-17, 10:07 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
If I was to do custom wheels or repair, I would buy parts myself. I don't trust any LBS to sell me anything at a good price or to be able to get the parts in reasonable amount of time. And just pay for the labor.
Old 04-06-17, 10:50 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by joejack951
A few things. Assuming the OP did his homework and either selected the same rim for the rebuild or a rim with the same or similar enough ERD, I see no reason why not to reuse a high quality spoke like a CX-Ray. It is one thing if the wheels were getting rebuilt because of a few spoke failures. But that is not the case here.

On the topic of aluminum nipples, the only time I've had an aluminum nipple fail is once on a cheap stock wheel at the hands of a hack in an LBS trying to true the wheel and once at my own hands when I was too inexperienced to know to lube spoke threads when building a wheel. My commuter wheels are built with aluminum nipples and they've withstood well over 20,000 miles without a nipple failure riding on some nasty roads in nasty weather. If you fear lightweight stuff and can't trust yourself to fully engage the spoke key or remember to lube the threads on your spokes before building, brass is probably the better choice. Otherwise, it is easy weight saved to go aluminum.

I'm not sure why the OP hasn't gone directly back to the LBS yet and simply had them fix their mistake. It's completely unacceptable, IMO, to ask for double butted spokes and get straight gauge. Even if they only charged you for straight gauge, it isn't what you asked for. If they charged you for double butted, it's even worse. Me, I'd demand my old CX-Rays back and go find someone else to rebuild my wheels like the originals.
Many (most?) reputable builders will not reuse spokes.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-06-17, 10:50 AM
ReneV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well technically its 1659.8, so he should have rounded to 1660.
Yes, that's the combined weight of the listed metal parts. The issue is the rim tape, which is supposed to be included in the total: 10g per for Stan's Yellow (2 layers) or ~20g per for most bands.

Last edited by ReneV; 04-06-17 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-06-17, 10:51 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Hi all,

So I had some very nice White Industries H2 and H3 hubs. (97 g and 252 g respectively).
I wanted to change out my worn rims, selected and purchased some nice lightweight DT swiss RR440 rims (450 g each).
I had some very nice lightweight Sapim CX Ray spokes with aloy nipples that I wanted to reuse.

Brought the wheels into the bike shop to have them rebuilt. Couple days later, they inform me over the phone that my spokes are in too bad of a shape to be reused. They assure me they would use DT Swiss Double butted spokes at $1 each. Going with DT Swiss bladed spokes would be $2.5 each or something. I agree to go with the double butted spokes.

So now, $120 in labor and $52 in spokes later... I go and weigh my wheels, and they come in at a whopping 1655g, instead of the 1565 g I was expecting with double butted spokes, and instead of the 1490g they used to be with my Sapim CX-ray spokes.

I take a closer look, and realize they did not use double butted spokes at all, but 2mm straight gauge spokes, which are about 1g heavier each! They must have also used brass nipples instead of alloy nipples, to get to the 1655g weight.

So essentially, it cost me $172 to downgrade my wheels from decently lightweight to what is considered slightly heavy. I am so angry they said they would use double butted spokes, and used straight spokes instead. On top of that, they cheaped out on the brass nipples to add useless weight. Why on earth would they take expensive lightweight hub and rims and put the heaviest spokes and nipples they could find on them?

I am trying not to be obsessive about the weight of my bike, but paying money and ending up with a serious downgrade is just infuriating. On top of that, they straight up lied to me about what they were going to use and made $120 in labor for the privilege.

- Am I overreacting?
- Should I stop being a crybaby because 1655g is still OK weight for wheels?
- Should I buy some lightweight Sapim spokes to 'upgrade' my wheels back from 1655g to a respectable 1490g at about $75 and just eat the cost?
- Should I not worry about it and just ride?
- The old saying goes: If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself?
- Will Tom Boonen with his 5th Paris-Roubaix this Sunday?
One question...when a shop does work they have a "work order". That's what ties to the itemized bill that tells you what was done, with what parts, and how much stuff costs. They hand you that and then you pay.

What does the work order list?

If they had to change parts for whatever reason, we would put a comment in with the work order that the customer was contacted and OK'd the change. And when the call was made and by whom. So there are no screw ups.

Did any of that happen?

Oh...and never never ever reuse spokes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.